Update, of sorts!

• Thread starter Tool1312
  • 416 comments
Hmmm... what mode are you guys playing in? I really don’t notice much difference at all. I have my Pro set to 1080p in the console settings, but this is simply because my TV is not 4K.

Can anyone confirm whether you can start the game up with a wheel now instead of a controller? (Can’t remember if this was only an issue on Xbox or not)

So just ran about 15 laps of Silverstone post update 1.03 (still version 1.3.7 in game). For context, I’m running on PS4 Pro with a T300.

First of all - a massive difference in FPS. I enjoyed the game pre-patch after adjusting to the frame rate but this is a huge improvement. It can’t just be frame pacing they’ve adjusted as the game “feels” 60 FPS. Whether it is or not is another question but it’s certainly leaps and bounds ahead of its previous state.

Onto FFB - something definitely seems different. Neither good nor bad, just slightly different. I’m clipping more than pre-patch (more red flickers on the FF gauge on the HUD) and felt the need to adjust the gain slightly in game. My FFB has always been 75% on the wheel and 90% in game. I’ll likely drop down to around 70/75% in game to reduce the extra clipping. I did set a personal best of 1:59:4 at Silverstone if that means anything.

I loaded up MP to check on the private lobbies but could not find anything in the menus to set up etc.

Overall, on performance alone. This is a great update from the devs. Night and day difference from version 1.02

I drove a one hour race in Monza just before the update hit and now drove a few laps after downloading it.

The difference is night and day.

I also feels way better to drive with a controller now. Really happy with this great update.

Big change to FPS on my Pro. I can't confirm what it is though. My G29 was reset to 40 degree rotation. I set it to 540 and left everything else as it was. Where has my beautiful Force Feedback gone?

Can't find private lobbies but there is no competition server either. I don't have the safety rating to access it anyway but it was there before.

So just ran about 15 laps of Silverstone post update 1.03 (still version 1.3.7 in game). For context, I’m running on PS4 Pro with a T300.

First of all - a massive difference in FPS. I enjoyed the game pre-patch after adjusting to the frame rate but this is a huge improvement. It can’t just be frame pacing they’ve adjusted as the game “feels” 60 FPS. Whether it is or not is another question but it’s certainly leaps and bounds ahead of its previous state.

Onto FFB - something definitely seems different. Neither good nor bad, just slightly different. I’m clipping more than pre-patch (more red flickers on the FF gauge on the HUD) and felt the need to adjust the gain slightly in game. My FFB has always been 75% on the wheel and 90% in game. I’ll likely drop down to around 70/75% in game to reduce the extra clipping. I did set a personal best of 1:59:4 at Silverstone if that means anything.

I loaded up MP to check on the private lobbies but could not find anything in the menus to set up etc.

Overall, on performance alone. This is a great update from the devs. Night and day difference from version 1.02

To add a little more from my findings:

Just tried MP. Zolder night race, 15 on the grid. Happy to say performance carries over from SP to MP in terms of frame rate. Had the odd hiccup from the server when lap one idiots quit the race but for the most part it was perfect.

Resolution has definitely taken a hit. The graphics are without doubt a little blurry when compared to before, especially at longer distances. The text and numbers etc on the dash aren’t quite as sharp as before either. But, for me - if a drop in graphical quality is what’s needed for the better frame rate then happy days.

I appreciate some people may be experiencing issues still with different wheels or on other platforms, but for me a great game just got even better. There still work to be done, E.g head lights are still awful, but I’m more than happy.

Great news for pro owners. Any improvement on non Pro?
If it's really good I seriously might have to upgrade to Pro just for this game! But then I might have to update my TV for 4k too :lol:

Last edited:
Hmmm... what mode are you guys playing in? I really don’t notice much difference at all. I have my Pro set to 1080p in the console settings, but this is simply because my TV is not 4K.

Funny thing, but change the supersampling to ON and game run now lot more smoother, but seems less sharp.

You gotta let us know if private lobbies are there?
Some replies on twitter are saying they can't find it?

Can't find private lobbies but there is no competition server either. I don't have the safety rating to access it anyway but it was there before.

Apparently the code is in for private lobbies but they are still testing / verifying before they make it accessible

Screenshot_20200723-233706_Chrome.jpg

Funny thing, but change the supersampling to ON and game run now lot more smoother, but seems less sharp.

Yes just posted that exact thing in another thread :D

I just cannot get on with the softer image that supersampling seems to produce. Draw distance is affected too and cars look washed out once they get about 10 car lengths in front. The 60fps is nice but the game looks so much better in 1080p30fps. It’s more stable in that now so keeping it in 1080p.

To add a little more from my findings:

Just tried MP. Zolder night race, 15 on the grid. Happy to say performance carries over from SP to MP in terms of frame rate. Had the odd hiccup from the server when lap one idiots quit the race but for the most part it was perfect.

Resolution has definitely taken a hit. The graphics are without doubt a little blurry when compared to before, especially at longer distances. The text and numbers etc on the dash aren’t quite as sharp as before either. But, for me - if a drop in graphical quality is what’s needed for the better frame rate then happy days.

I appreciate some people may be experiencing issues still with different wheels or on other platforms, but for me a great game just got even better. There still work to be done, E.g head lights are still awful, but I’m more than happy.
ll

So let me get this straight, game runs at close to 60 in 4K, yet stuck at 30 in 1080p? :confused: Edit:I’m on PS4 pro

Yes. But in 4K mode there is a graphical downgrade. Draw distance was the most notable for me. 1080p looks so much better for me personally. I’m fine with a stable 30fps.

So let me get this straight, game runs at close to 60 in 4K, yet stuck at 30 in 1080p? :confused: Edit:I’m on PS4 pro

Yes I just tested this on my pro.

When you have your pro hooked to a 4k TV and set resolution to auto it runs at a higher frame rate but it's very obvious they lowered the details of the game to achieve this. Look at the pit crew faces when you are in the pits for example.

Also I set my PS4 pro to 1080p and the graphic detail is higher but the frame rate suffers.

So they just lowered the details in the 4k output until the frame rate was stable..

I am happy as I want the smooth frame rate but if you run 1080p TV you likely can't get this benefit.. unless maybe the PS4 pro overscan option will trick it?

Also the FFB is a a step backwards. It's like they just cranked up something in the canned FFB? It just does not feel natural like it did before with my T300.
Sucks..

One thing improved one thing messed up..

Also the FFB is a a step backwards. It's like they just cranked up something in the canned FFB? It

Felt almost same to me as before on csl but definitely a touch heavier, maybe a touch of baked in effect that wasn’t there before. Not much. Didn’t play long because lobbies no worky/no one online where before there was quite a few. Competition area closed. I assume that’s on their end to enable.
Smoother running graphics, better framerate, started to rain on me at Bathurst but auto wipers didn’t come on.
Game drives good and my Nurb GP pit lane bug in career was gone.
It’s quite engaging to drive easily hit good times on Nurb GP stock safe setup.
Smoothness of graphics are much better.
I hope they don’t screw with ffb anymore! Don’t takeaway a very big game strength! Leave it, just get the t500 workin lol.

What about the input lag with the wheel matching on screen? Has it been fixed at all?

I did have a look at this as it was really bad. Although not perfect, it definitely seems much improved in 1080p mode. I would imagine even better in the higher frame rate 4K mode.

I played yesterday pre-patch and then noticed the patch came out.

The difference in the framerate is HUGE.
But it looks way less crisp, I'm on PS4 Pro and I was sure I was playing on 4K, yet the resolution seemed waay lower.

Also the FFB is a a step backwards. It's like they just cranked up something in the canned FFB? It just does not feel natural like it did before with my T300.
Sucks..

One thing improved one thing messed up..
I also believe that FFB is way worse now. Seems like it is much closer to GTS. More numb, more heavy. It also seems that some of physics have changed. The grip is huge now! The mountain in Mount Panorama can now be driven like GTS: no grip loss, no bumps, the wheel is always heavy and stable, specially on Forest Elbow, where I used to understeer a lot. I drove 5h there this week and after 5 laps with the new patch, I got my PB from 2:04 to 2:01.
I can’t help but feeling that they turned down realism to satisfy console user base.

I also believe that FFB is way worse now. Seems like it is much closer to GTS. More numb, more heavy. It also seems that some of physics have changed. The grip is huge now! The mountain in Mount Panorama can now be driven like GTS: no grip loss, no bumps, the wheel is always heavy and stable, specially on Forest Elbow, where I used to understeer a lot. I drove 5h there this week and after 5 laps with the new patch, I got my PB from 2:04 to 2:01.
I can’t help but feeling that they turned down realism to satisfy console user base.

What wheel do you have? I turned down gain even further on my G29 after the patch as it was just too heavy and there was no feeling. Now it feels pretty similar to before, but find it much easier to catch the car when it lets go. I have a little bit of minimum force but damping and road effects are at zero and it feels really nice. I’d suggest to decrease gain to get a bit more feel.

What wheel do you have? I turned down gain even further on my G29 after the patch as it was just too heavy and there was no feeling. Now it feels pretty similar to before, but find it much easier to catch the car when it lets go. I have a little bit of minimum force but damping and road effects are at zero and it feels really nice. I’d suggest to decrease gain to get a bit more feel.
G29. I agree. I’ve changed gain from 70 to 35 (din damp at 100) to feel similar. But it there is still less detail. After driving mount Panorama, I realized the grip seems to be higher

Just ran a race at Spa, can't say I noticed much difference in the FFB on my T300 as of yet. Standard PS4 and performance is the same. Says in the patch notes Pro improvements only, hope they address base models now.

Just ran a race at Spa, can't say I noticed much difference in the FFB on my T300 as of yet. Standard PS4 and performance is the same. Says in the patch notes Pro improvements only, hope they address base models now.
I expect base models are running at Max. Mine certainly sounds like it :D

G29. I agree. I’ve changed gain from 70 to 35 (din damp at 100) to feel similar. But it there is still less detail. After driving mount Panorama, I realized the grip seems to be higher

Try reducing dynamic damping to 30%, 100% might be saturating and giving you clipping, you shouldn't feel less detail. I have a G29 and you have much more detail than before the patch. Before, not only was the steering too light for me, but you wouldn't feel any tyre slip and over flat kerbs, you wouldn't feel even the slightest vibration. Now, it's way better...

Physics and grip are exactly the same, improved FFB is either helping or you are just getting better at Mount Panorama... ;)

I haven’t noticed much difference in track grip and I drove every track to feel the differences. I wasn’t pushing particularly hard except for on silverstone where I was doing my usual times so for me it seems about the same. But the Audi i was driving felt more stable and IMO the FFB feels much smoother and more real than before. Taking small left/right turns like at Zolder or Catalunya is much easier and more fluid now, not sure if the extra FPS is helping that too or if it’s just the FFB changes, but I like it.

As others have commented feels easier to react to loss of control now which was my main gripe of this game I figured was due to input lag the low FPS on the Pro.

I did have a look at this as it was really bad. Although not perfect, it definitely seems much improved in 1080p mode. I would imagine even better in the higher frame rate 4K mode.
I tried it in 4k mode seems slightly better than before.
CSL feels a lot better too, had to turn gain down from 85 to 65 but it’s definitely smoother and more detailed especially on some rumble strips.

Back