Version 1.02 Out

• Thread starter EL_ZISSOU
  • 175 comments
Very true. But it's kind of sad that even with all it faults, gt5 sells so well. It's just a sign that there's not enough serious competitors in racing sim genre. I would trade gt5 no-time to a pc sim that had as good graphics and better customization options. If it would happen I would be very sorry for those who have been fooled and robbed by buying a useless mac with 2 year old hardware but double the price than a decent gaming pc.

You don't have to trade - if you have a PC (with a decent GFX card) get yourself iRacing or rFactor or something. Return your copy of GT5.

The customer is king. Vote with your feet.

All these comments about people feeling 'robbed' or 'let down' etc. are confusing - it is not a personal insult to you. Just return it and move on.

The reason why it sells, is that there isn't anything else out there with the same attention to detail and the same vast array of content. It isn't perfect, but nothing else on the PS3 comes close. Forza 3 is betters it in some areas, but that's an xbox title.

I downloaded it late last night and was able to get into a couple online races quickly, so it improved on my end at least. Those were my first online races and they were a lot of fun even though I went from 1st place in the first race to last place in the final race. ha :D

Agreed. For example the auction house system in FM3 was incredible! Not to mention the amount of customization.

I feel sorry for T10 because they have a lot of great ideas and stuff but the Xbox community as a whole has little interest in semi-sim or sim racing...the appeal does not last long enough until they get bored and desert the game.

If T10 was a subsidiary of PD they could have the best of both worlds, PDs superior modeling, gfx , physics and automotive world connections and T10s ear for the street and tuning\customization\personalization\sharing aspects as well as their taste for exotic cars.

What will never be.

T10's problem like many racing game developers is that they dont have any original bone in their body. They only exist because MS wanted them for a counter to GT on their system. They have strict deadlines, a massive team, outsourcing to sweatshops, work ethic more like an EA developer etc. Its not the same. People championing livery editors and rewind as major features need to clam down. They have existed in many games before. They also dont affect the actual race experience. With sales down across the board the racing industry needs to rethink their process. The current games minus GT are generally patronisingly dumbed down and to add insult to the injury, the presentation approaches are more like Michael Bay movies(NFS games, Shift: 'UNLEASHED'). Also I am not sure what Forza fans here are trying to achieve by being irritating.

Now lets get back to the patch. For me online works fine. The restrictions are working and races can only be started by one person.

I think ps3 patches must include any previous game patches in it. so the second patch couldn't be too big if 1.01 was 133mb.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got this patch-download-update this morning

tho does anyone for sure knows what this thing does?

is it just the servers thing? does it fix anything else? does do anything else?

133MG seams a pretty big update to be just for one "fix"

thanks

I was expecting more information here by now.

What I noticed that this patch:

- brought back the log c.s. to the community section. Unfortunately all progress made when the log was down is not stored locally and then synced there, so you just have a big gap there. But at least it works now and is snappy.

- allows you to put power and weight restrictions for online races. This works great: I set up a restriction for something like max 200hp and minimum 1080kg weight or something like that and sure enough it shows you what cars you are allowed to choose with the best one on top, and although I set up the room with just one other because I was just testing, I got someone in there who picked a car with the correct restrictions and we did some free laps and then started a race, and we had very well matched cars and fun was had. I also got to test my headset, which worked just fine.

I don't know if it does anything else.

How about?

A graphically consistent car and track list.
Excellent livery editor.
Auction house.
Much more configurable online options.
Leaderboards.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Both games could take elements from the other and improve their own overall experience. To not accept that is borderline lunacy.

I just don't get fanboys who can see no good in anything else. I'm a Newcastle United fan, I loathe Manchester United.......doesn't mean I wouldn't want Wayne Rooney in my team ;)

You mean a game is better than another just beacause it allows to better sketch your paints on a damn plate? And because it includes an "ebay simulation" feature? I say goddamn, I'm not completely happy with gt5 but you forza fanboys must be completely desperate if you come out with those bull****s.

You mean a game is better than another just beacause it allows to better sketch your paints on a damn plate? And because it includes an "ebay simulation" feature? I say goddamn, I'm not completely happy with gt5 but you forza fanboys must be completely desperate if you come out with those bull****s.
Except he didn't say it was better. He said it did things that GT5 didn't do that PD should learn from and try to implement themselves.

The funny thing is that you quoted the part of his post where he said exactly that, and you still jumped down his throat.

Except he didn't say it was better. He said it did things that GT5 didn't do that PD should learn from and try to implement themselves.

The funny thing is that you quoted the part of his post where he said exactly that, and you still jumped down his throat.

Exactly. It's amazing to me to sit here and watch these people criticize exactly what they are themselves.

I was expecting more information here by now.

What I noticed that this patch:

- brought back the log c.s. to the community section. Unfortunately all progress made when the log was down is not stored locally and then synced there, so you just have a big gap there. But at least it works now and is snappy.

I'm skeptical of the log. I looked at one of the two Friends I have in my Community (I'll need to add to them soon, I suppose), and it said something to the effect of:

November 27th, 1:45, New game started.

The next entry was:

November 27th, 1:47, B licence acquired.

Seems a bit unlikely to me.

I am sorry, I must admit I didn't read his full post here. Mea culpa. I apologyze about that.

I'm skeptical of the log. I looked at one of the two Friends I have in my Community (I'll need to add to them soon, I suppose), and it said something to the effect of:

November 27th, 1:45, New game started.

The next entry was:

November 27th, 1:47, B licence acquired.

Seems a bit unlikely to me.

That was probably just around when the update was released and the Log was reenabled.

That was probably just around when the update was released and the Log was reenabled.

Well I'm in the EST zone, and the updates were 22:00-23:00 EST, so unless the log follows different time zones and he was on the west coast of the Americas (PST) then it was hours past the update.

Edit: I was assuming server maintenance and update were simultaneous, but of course that's silly, so you could have a valid point.

Edit Edit: The date on his log when the game was installed and then 2 minutes later a B licence was acquired is November 23rd, so while that throws out the possibility of the update resetting his log, it now adds other factors since it was obviously a copy obtained before the legitimate release date.

Last edited:
Actually it's good to see a few Forza heads like myself over here (word up Slim - Hookandsling here :))

I'm just looking for the best racing experience possible. That's it.
Both Forza and GT have their strengths and weaknesses, but there's defo some stuff from Forza that GT could implement (livery editor / tune market).

But if I had one criteria more important than any other; its the quality of the online experience.

For me that's:
- Driving experience - GT feels better to me. If I could only configure this expensive new G27... sigh.
- Competitve Tuning - best driver + best car wins. Forza nails this.
- Public Lobbies - Forza threw this away in 3 for Matchmaking. GT off to a good start.. see how it pans out.
- Race options and Search - Forza 2 brilliant. Forza 3 gone. GT just starting.

I'm hopeful that because current online in GT is so bare bones there's a proper serious update coming, and the basic principle of Public Lobbies is already there. I'm just glad I made sure the G27 was compatible with PC sims as a backup plan if GT5 fails to get a good community going. Gotta justify it to the missus :)

So, this is strange.

When I first started the game yesterday, it prompted me in-game that there was an update. I attempted to update, but it came back at me with an error. I figured "no biggie" and I'd just try again next time it prompted me. Well, 24 hours later, it still hasn't prompted me. I'm online, I'm able to join online lobbies and shop at the GT Store, but my version (in the top left of the home screen) is still 1.01. I've restarted both the game and the console multiple times since yesterday, and have had the game disc out and back in (I was playing another game), but no prompt has appeared.

Has anyone been able to "force" an update? I guess 1.02 isn't critical to the game's operation, so I'm not too worried about it just yet. I just hope that future updates go more smoothly.

This is the Gran turismo 5 section:) and a very very old topic, we're still on 1.01 on Gran turismo 6

Back