Vision GT Car Interiors

• Thread starter MiniMii500
  • 17 comments
Polyphony Digital are not the ones to model the interior of the vision GT cars, it's the manufacturers themself therefor there's lack of interior in the Mercedes, BMW and Mitsubishi. Volkswagen is the first to model a full interior into their Vision GT. Perhaps the manufacturers should consider to model or create an interior model for their cars more often.

Polyphony Digital are not the ones to model the interior of the vision GT cars, it's the manufacturers themself therefor there's lack of interior in the Mercedes, BMW and Mitsubishi. Volkswagen is the first to model a full interior into their Vision GT. Perhaps the manufacturers should consider to model or create an interior model for their cars more often.
Volkswagen is the second to model an interior for a VGT. Mercedes beat them to it by several months.

MERCEDES BENZ VISION GRAN TURISMO
2048_13c1178_05.jpg

Last edited:
I really hope the current Vision Gran Turismo cars with no interiors do get them & future ones without interiors get them to. I applaud Volkswagen for having a interior in their Golf Vision Gran Turismo!

Volkswagen is the second to model an interior for a VGT. Mercedes beat them to it by several months.

MERCEDES BENZ VISION GRAN TURISMO
2048_13c1178_05.jpg

PD has been known to work closely with Mercedes so it's no surprise that they had a full interior 1st. Nissan's VGT will likely have full interior upon arrival as well. As for VW, I believe it was a matter of, "This car without an interior would look ridiculous and is unacceptable, we have to model it". More so, it seems V-dub made a point to keep the interior "simplified" to not obstruct or distract the driver from the driving experience. Which to me sounds more like "we realized the time constraints in the modelling process and factored that in into our design accordingly to get our vehicle out quicker".

But are you guys sure it's the companies that are modelling the cars? I mean, PD has a style and tech they use for their modeling process. The size and scale for the model, pixel count, the mapping style, the fidelity in graphics, resolution, paint style, etc., all has to be to a degree that PD uses in Gran Turismo. Not lower, not higher. And if PD took time with real cars to get them in the game, it would likely take time for these cars as well.

I'm sure there are finishing touches and the like that PD has to do themselves, and mapping an interior is much more difficult than mapping an exterior.

The exterior of vehicles, has subtle curves, flush surfaces, and a few jagged lines to deal with here and there, free of the confines of space, being that it's the outside of the car. Where as the interior requires attention to detail, different surface mapping for the various textures available such as the steering wheel, seat fabric, seat belt material and stitching, the metal, plastic, carbon & vinyl trimmings, glass coverings over speedometer, gauges, & such, stick shift/paddle surfaces & details, floor carpeting, etc. Then you have to sync the speedometer, tachometer, GPS, and all other interactive on-board gadgets with the cars movement, plus all the other bells and whistles that go along with the interior visually, AND to make it all fit snugly, neatly, realistically, and accurately into the digital confines of the modeled exterior LIKELY takes much much more effort.

Considering these things alone, in my opinion, doing an interior would require, what, like 5-10x the amount of time/effort of doing the exterior. Not including the physics calculations for every vehicles individual handling characteristics, such as the Mitsubishi's S-AWC system, and such, I'd imagine PD could bust out at least 5 interior-less vehicles in the time it would take to do ONE with an interior.

And what's worse (which is better visually, but worse chronologically), is that most of these interior designs are likely radically and massively detailed with intricate and exquisite threading, new age HUD's, and contain even more various fabrics, carbon fiber inlays and such that the time for the modeling process likely just goes up and up and up as each VGT design (likely) tries to be the best and most design detailed to outdo the others.

Considering the above, if this data is just designed conceptually on paper, or in a manner that is not directly portable for PD to apply in-game and is just plopped into PD's hands for them to do the majority of the dirty* work at the "PD pace" of doing things, I would imagine we'll have a lot of waiting to do before we get all full interior updates.

Will the Gran Turismo Vision GT cars receive an update with full interiors, similar to what happened with the BMW M4, or will they be left as is?

I really hope they do. Especially Mercedes Benz. But the other two so far are even more basic.

PD can't make an interior off of a sketch, they need actual measurements, and unless the companies give them to PD, interiors aren't gonna happen.

I just had a thought reading @SZRT Ice 's comment....

What if this is a way to help the car companies LEARN PD's car development system so THEY can model (and/or premium(ize)) their OWN cars for the game in the future...?

It's an interesting thought!

I just had a thought reading @SZRT Ice 's comment....

What if this is a way to help the car companies LEARN PD's car development system so THEY can model (and/or premium(ize)) their OWN cars for the game in the future...?

It's an interesting thought!
That is clutching at straws. A pipe dream. Call it what you want it is not happening. If a manufacturer wants a car in GT bad enough for advertising purposes they will pay PD.

That is clutching at straws. A pipe dream. Call it what you want it is not happening. If a manufacturer wants a car in GT bad enough for advertising purposes they will pay PD.

Who's to say? This can highly improve the speed and development process for companies to get their new vehicles in GT games! Companies are realizing more and more the power in advertising that comes from delivering their brands to people in games.

It allows for children to be made aware of their vehicles at an earlier age, and this concept might just be a work in progress with select brands in the automotive industry and PD! Everyone wants their latest and greatest on display to attract the most attention and TRLWNC7396's perspective may be spot on because the partnership through the VGT project just may speed up the way for companies to do so! That would make the VGT project into merely a practice run! From a business standpoint, it's a great idea!

Last edited:
That was my thought exactly. Thank you for saying it.

No doubt man!

More so, the benefits of this will greatly reduce development time because companies can now begin the modelling process at the development phase. This means, they can better guard their new models & secrets, not reveal them to Kaz, PD, or whoever until they are ready to do a formal reveal themselves!

Which also in turn means PD doesn't have to wait until the car is revealed to begin creating a model in game and cars will be ready to go upon their release date! If there are any last minute changes, or whatever, they can touch up and work on the vehicle down to the final hour (with minimum delay), deliver it to Kaz/PD & set the real/digital release date and BOOM!!! DAY 1 IN-GAME CONTENT/DLC!!! This would literally be "Pushing the Virtual Divide"!!!

GT7 truly may shock people...

Last edited:
Will the Gran Turismo Vision GT cars receive an update with full interiors, similar to what happened with the BMW M4, or will they be left as is?
I think that is should be a full update to all the vision cars

This has been answered (if not exactly the answer we'd like) by Kaz the other day on the Reddit interview as I asked him a similar question.

[–]johnscoonsbeard 12 points 3 days ago

Will the Vision GT cars eventually have cockpit view? Some (maybe all?) of the car companies have designed them eg Mercedes-Benz, Aston Martin.

[–]KazunoriAMA[S] 28 points 3 days ago

We would LIKE to. Emphasize on "LIKE."

Last edited:
Back