War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

From my research the Challenger 2, i think the K2 Black Panther, then of course the Type 74.
But at the same time. Those tanks are far more advanced than what anyone had at that point in time so it just proves my above point really imo.

Woah...

Hydropneumatic suspension in War Thunder

Behind a complex definition hides a very useful combat ability to change the angle of the tank’s hull in all directions or the ability to ‘hunker down’ the vehicle, seriously reducing its height. Of course, only on vehicles that use this type of suspension.

Hydropneumatic suspension in battle.
Japanese tankers will be the first to try this new mechanic in battle on the Type 74 and STB-1 top-tier tanks. Full freedom of action! By default, you will be able to control the suspension with a numeric keyboard, and the tactical opportunities will amaze both the driver and his enemies. Add hull angling to the usual weapon angling toward the opponent and attack them while remaining practically untouchable to return fire. Settle the tank down and use even low cover to safely hide your vehicle, then suddenly, without showing your hull, jump out and take your shot.

Get to grips with this new technique in full and figure out new tactics in battle.

Japan’s top tanks will become truly interesting vehicles that are worth striving to obtain, and they will add a new dimension to the locations you’re used to in War Thunder.

http://warthunder.com/en/news/4380-development-hydropneumatic-suspension-in-war-thunder-en/
That's cool. The main disadvantage of Soviet tanks is the small vertical pointing angles. This is where the weeb tanks will have the upper hand :sly: (attacking from the hills will be easier). But will probably pay with thinner armor.

Interesting... I don't know that any American tanks utilize this. I know for a fact the Bradley and Abrams don't (I was a mechanic in 5-1AD) don't know about other countries but it sounds like this may be a Japan only thing even in the long run.
From my research the Challenger 2, i think the K2 Black Panther, then of course the Type 74.
First thing coming to my mind is the Swedish Strv 103 (aka "S-tank"). It has no turret and is armed with a fixed cannon, that needs to be pointed by turning the tank and elevating the suspension. And the modern Japanese tanks, Type 90 and Type 10. (I saw a video where a Type 10 holds a glass of wine on its gun barrel while bouncing the suspension and not spilling any.)

Also, some experimental Soviet tanks had hydropneumatic suspension, too (e.g. Object 775, Object 279 and some others), but it wasn't utilized on the mass production T's because it was less reliable, more expensive and harder to maintain than the classic torsion suspension. However, there are rumors that the newest Russian tank - T-14 Armata - may have the HPS in the later versions.

I don't play tanks but nice.

Japan really had the best stuff. They just didn't have the resources to make it. Hence why a lot of stuff is consigned to the history of prototypes.
Well, AFAIK the most mass-produced Japanese tank of WWII was the Type 97 Chi-Ha (classified as medium, but de facto it's rather light), that could do something against the Vickers and T-26 used by the Chinese, and even early Stuarts (M2 & M3), but was no match for the American and Soviet most used tanks (M4 Sherman and T-34 respectively). There were some interesting prototypes, though (I guess there will be plenty of them in our tank tree), even with ship cannons (there's already a vehicle with a naval gun in WT - the Soviet SU-100Y - badass thing), but I don't think they would affect the war results much even if they were mass-produced.

But at the same time. Those tanks are far more advanced than what anyone had at that point in time so it just proves my above point really imo.
The Type 74 is a post-war tank, moreover, it's still used by the JGSDF today.
The post-WWII Japanese self-defence forces are smaller in numbers than many of the world's armies so they can afford such expensive tanks (the "Kyuu-maru" (Type 90) was one of the world's most expensive tanks, so the successor Type 10 was designed to be cheaper). Unlike the American M1 Abrams or the Russian T's that were meant for mass production and optimizing the costs.

What is the snail up too?

Seems they did have infantry deams... just not for WT.

Yep, it was announced today.
It's a different game, developed by another studio (Darkflow Software), Gaijin is the publisher. The game uses the same engine as War Thunder (Dagor Engine). Enlisted will be a first person shooter and no vehicles will be playable on the early stage (they say they'll possibly include playable tanks/other vehicles later).

Like I thought, the Snails would rather make a different game (and leave the development to another studio) than put infantry into War Thunder.

As long as it breaks from the uber arcadish BF1/COD, I am all in. I've been trying to get into BF1, but it's insanely hectic. I do not adhd that hard

The current Japanese ground tech tree.
nTv4TMYM_RY.jpg

As you see, all tier 4-5 tanks are post-war + American vehicles given to JGSDF after the war. And the only heavy tank is German and it's premium (I bought the pre-order pack. Hope I won't regret it.). IRL that Tiger was never delivered to Japan by the way...
Also note one tank destroyer with two (!) recoilless guns (!!) - Type 60 SPRG.

Russian streamers testing them on the DEV server:

2:01:00 - that recoil! :D

Last edited:
So, the other Chinese tank is in my collection (Norinco Type 62 aka WZ-131).

Type 62 (Norinco WZ-131) by RageRacer48, on Flickr

At first, it had battle rating 5.7 and was basically an over-BRed T-34-85 (same cannon, same ammo and totally useless armor, but a little better mobility). Then, the Snails raised the BR to 6.7 but gave it the historical HEAT shells with 300mm penetration. Which made the Type 62 more useful, but this will make the players suffer for some time before they unlock these shells...

So, it's the Soviet (yes, it's in the USSR tree) counterpart of M18 Hellcat (almost no armor, but good mobility) and the tactics is similar (flank attacks and ambushes).
Finally, I can leave WT for some time.

And some more screenshots done lately...
Mitsubishi A7M2 Reppuu by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Well, I got back to WT too, playing mostly on the Japanese tanks (I want the unique Japanese decal available to win until 15th of February). The premium 120mm Chi-Ha is a total destroyer in arcade. It can shoot from a cover like a howitzer. :D Got the JGSDF M24 Chaffee, very fun to play too. Now progressing to the prototype Chi-To and the Japanese M4A3E8.

P.S. Encountered some performance problems with the game. Earlier I had stable 50-60 FPS in ground battles, now it's 25-35 and sometimes falls to 17-20 in very tense moments. Tried playing Armored Warfare and FPS is even worse there. Could be something wrong with my PC again (hardware or software, not sure). No idea if I can fix it, so I'll probably leave the game again soon. Should test some other games.

Eh... Been on World of Warships and got into a clan there... Have had loads of fun and don't think I'll be back to see WT for any more than a few games a day.

Especially since there's now heatFS at 6.7... Just not fun any more than it is annoying.

Eh... Been on World of Warships and got into a clan there... Have had loads of fun and don't think I'll be back to see WT for any more than a few games a day.

Especially since there's now heatFS at 6.7... Just not fun any more than it is annoying.
Tier three is my sweet spot. Just getting there on the Japanese tree. I've had a lot more fun getting there than I did with the Soviet line up. Especially with the Ta Se. Ripping up tanks and planes with that 20 is really satisfying.

I was watching Slick play that yesterday. That is a beast of a cannon, and looks pretty hard to kill.

That Pay-to-Win OP machine? Tsk...

P.S. The Chinese Type 62 I won recently is Suffer-to-Win. :D
All of my tanks are suffer to win! Makes aces feel better I think.
Well, on the account that I was getting tired of being penned frontally with heatFS in my King Tiger, and that I already had the M46 tiger and needed something else other than an M4A1 to advance the line faster... I can't blame myself for it. If there weren't so many T92s at that tier I'd probably never make the switch, but seeing how every day I played German GF RB, and loosing every-single-game, I wanted to see what it was like...

So far... 24 games, 50 kills, 20 deaths... and a 70% w/r. I like it, a lot. I find most of the times I can literally push in and not stop, and have all the other tanks following behind me. But sometimes this also gets me in trouble. It's funny though how many spawn points I can make when bringing it out first, especially for a heavy tank. I just keep coming with my P47N and my AD2, and after that I'll bring the M46 to charge them down.

Ideally I wan the line-up to include the T29, T32, M103, M46, P47N, and AD2. Sometime I'll have that soon.

One day I'll be high enough tiered to be a hater. Right now though, this guy is enjoying the slug fest show.

Back