Was there ever a racing game with track creator?

United States
Parma Heights, Ohio, USA
I've played just about every racing game, and I need some kind of hidden treasure I may have missed.
Anything with a track editor and/or an in depth car creator.

RC Revenge (and RC Revenge Pro) had a decent track creator. The PC version of Mobil 1 Rally Championship had a very extensive one, but I'm not sure if the PS1 version had one. All of the Trackmania games have had one. The two TOCA games on the DS had a pretty advanced one.

As far as car creators go, the only game I can think of is Supercar Street Challenge. The tools provided are pretty extensive, but the game itself is fairly mediocre (decent, but not outstanding, in basically every measure).

Crashday, a game sort of like Carmagadden, but more about stunts, crazy races and missiles.

Trackmania, an over the type arcade racer.

Midnight Club 3 and LA, well, you get to place check points over the map and you race it. I guess thats a track creator?

Yeah. That's all I got.

Test Drive VRALLY!!!!

You want big air? I got your big air!

Seriously though this game was awesome... cockpit view, look to apex, track editor, 4 player split screen... AWESOME!

I remember playing Revolt on Nintendo 64, that game had a really nice Track Creator.

Rally Cross 2 and RE-Volt both had track editors. Both TDU2 and TDU1 have a point to point course editor. One of the PGR games had a route maker, too.

Not to steal your thread or anything, but I've just remembered a game I was trying to recall from years ago called "Combo Racer". It was from 1990 and had a track editor - and it got me wondering if anyone knows any earlier ones, or even the first...

Not to steal your thread or anything, but I've just remembered a game I was trying to recall from years ago called "Combo Racer". It was from 1990 and had a track editor - and it got me wondering if anyone knows any earlier ones, or even the first...

Racing Destruction from Electronic Arts back in the '80s for the Commodore 64. Spent hours building tracks, racing, and destroying cars! I almost forgot I had it on 5 1/4" floppy, never had the cassette tape drive. I remember that games took something like 30 minutes to load from a cassette tape drive vice around 5 minutes for a floppy hard drive!👍

Here is the Wikipedia link!

Racing_destruction_set_front_cover.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff!

I vaguely remember an F1-type game for the ZX Spectrum which had some combination of "World" and "Championship" in the title which also had a track maker. I recall that you couldn't ever make the end meet the start, but you could be a little bit out and it'd compensate. I'm not sure if it predates RDS or not - I'd have been 8 at the time of RDS, and not being an Atari/C64 kid, I wouldn't have played it.

games with track editor:
Modnation Racers: make almost anything
Rc Revenge, and pro: same as modnation
The Nascar online sims: u can make any thing u wish including glitchy crashing tracks.
but thats all i know of...

Good stuff!

I vaguely remember an F1-type game for the ZX Spectrum which had some combination of "World" and "Championship" in the title which also had a track maker. I recall that you couldn't ever make the end meet the start, but you could be a little bit out and it'd compensate. I'm not sure if it predates RDS or not - I'd have been 8 at the time of RDS, and not being an Atari/C64 kid, I wouldn't have played it.

Sometimes I miss the games of yesteryear, although considered cheezy in today's standards they still have some appeal to me. I was just schooling my son on Zork the other day since they included this in the new COD Black Ops game. I spent countless hours playing text based games as a kid on my Commodore 64. (a little off subject).

Last edited:
Pick up Geoff Crammond's F1GP if you can. 20 years old now, but there's a lot you'll find familiar. And a better damage model than GT5 :lol:

Everybody here forgets the mother of all in game track creators, the classic that introduced it all, a game I couldn't stop playing because going through loop-de-loops was so ****ing awesome!!!

This little game is called:
Stunts!

Watch it on youtube to refresh those memories!

Excitebike was another classic game with a track editor on the NES, maybe not the first but dates back to 1985. Spent countless hours editing and playing that game also.

Excitebike_cover.jpg

Last edited:
Test Drive Unlimited (360 version) lets you "create" your own race ANYWHERE on the entire map. TDU allows anyone at any time anywhere on the map to challenge someone. Then from that EXACT location on the map, they pick the ending point WHEREVER they want it to be and instantly it becomes a start to finish race with 3,2,1 countdown. Then once the race is over the players have the option to pick another end point from their exact location. Plus you can race for money. And anyone that is partied up gets pulled automatically into the race with the leader. I have never seen a single other racing game do that yet.

PGR4 or 3 had a track editor.

FUEL also has a track editor.

ModNation Racers

Far Cry series. Not technically a race game but you can create race tracks and race on them. Any elevations, water, trees, rocks, pretty much anything you can think of. The best console map editor still to this day.

Halo Reach Not technically a race game but you can create race tracks and race on them. They even have a mode called "race mode". Race was and might still be in the matchmaking playlist.

Halo 3 Not technically a race game but you can create race tracks and race on them.

A track editor is something Mirror's Edge could use.

There's also Excite Bike 64 and Excite Truck for the Wii. There have been several racing titles over the years with track editors.

There's also LBP2. You can create race tracks with it, too.

The Commodore 64 version of Rally Speedway had a track creator, as well as crash physics that included your driver catching on fire and having to stop, drop, and roll.

The Commodore 64 version of Rally Speedway had a track creator, as well as crash physics that included your driver catching on fire and having to stop, drop, and roll.

Oh man the memories, Rally Speedway reminds me of a racing game on Mattel's Intellivision but I don't think it had a track editor. Forgot to check You Tube but here is the video for EA's Racing Destruction Set.

Fuel and PGR3 were more waypoint marking rather than track creating. V-Rally 2 was a pretty good one for its time.

Not to mention bobs track builder for the PC is pretty easy to use supposedly with a bit of nouse.

Anyone heard of GTR 2, GTlegends, great game, and they all have track makers (not to sure, but you can download track makers for them)

Most track editor features I remember were all on the PSX (Rally Cross, Some RC racing games) and Excite Bike & Battle City? (NES) :D

Back