what about the old tracks?

• Thread starter gigio79
  • 34 comments
Italy
naples
gigiotto59
I always thought why they did not put the old tracks in GT sport, I remember Gran Valley, Trial mountain, Deep Forest and so many others. It would be a very nice gift to add in Gt sport.

There's been many threads about this over the 2 and a half years of GTS. Personally i was glad to see the back of those circuits. GT cannot and should not thrive upon nostalgia. I hope they never return to any future title, same goes for a lot of the so called "missing" cars. Good riddance!

I can't say I'd miss most of them. I think at the least, many of them would need to be renovated to better-suit online racing. I'd love for some to be changed and "remixed," so to speak, like if Trial Mountain did something about those narrow turns after the first tunnel, or if High Speed Ring had more run-off areas. For now, I'm quite content with the current approach to original courses, being more set in real, specific locales rather than something a bit more generic for a background.

For example, the SuperSpeedway from GT3 could be replaced with Northern Isle, but I'd ideally replace both/either with Indianapolis - infield course included, of course. Meanwhile, I think Tokyo Expressway is a worthy successor to the Special Stage courses, and I would even go as far to say that SSR7 was just a boring pair of straights, serving no purpose that SSRX couldn't fulfill instead.

Honestly, the only courses I miss are the various city courses from GT4, but I think the two-car courses like George V Paris could be replaced with a point-to-point time attack course, and I'd be psyched if some locales (e.g. Hong Kong, NYC) were replaced with the real-world city courses that Formula E used for them, especially since Kaz has expressed interest in Formula E itself. Granted, the NYC course in GT4 was in Manhattan whereas the Formula E course is in Brooklyn, but who cares? They'd have to make too many changes to the older city courses to make them acceptable, as real-world cities themselves are almost always undergoing changes to their storefronts alone.

But if I did have a caveat with Tokyo Expressway, it'd likely be that I can't seem to spot the Sky Tree anywhere, on any of the layouts. C'est la vie!

EDIT: I honestly can't say I feel it that much when it comes to most of 'em, even though I played both PS2-era games when I was a kid. I'd rather have some of the original courses from the PS3-era return, like Madrid, London, Sierra, or the revised Rome circuit. I even miss Cape Ring. But if I had to pick only one original course from the PS2 era, it'd be Apricot Hill, as I think very minimal changes would be required to make it better for online racing, if any changes were even needed at all. I could see Apricot Hill being fantastic for cars up to Gr.4, maybe even Gr.3 or Gr.2.

Last edited:
I can't say I'd miss most of them. I think at the least, many of them would need to be renovated to better-suit online racing. I'd love for some to be changed and "remixed," so to speak, like if Trial Mountain did something about those narrow turns after the first tunnel, or if High Speed Ring had more run-off areas.
This is true, most of the original circuits didn't have a realistic level of concern for runoff area or safety.

The launchpad at the final chicane of Trial Mountain is a particularly egregious example.

I mean that's a 40 mph corner in the fastest cars versus 100+ at TM
Yes, assuming you haven't just binned it coming through Blanchimont.

There's similar jumps through the infield at Interlagos (turn 5) and Red Bull Ring (turn 3), the latter of which persists from its A1 Ring days...

There's been many threads about this over the 2 and a half years of GTS. Personally i was glad to see the back of those circuits. GT cannot and should not thrive upon nostalgia. I hope they never return to any future title, same goes for a lot of the so called "missing" cars. Good riddance!

complete bollocks, those iconic tracks are a part of what makes Gran Turismo the game it is today..it’s not about thriving on nostalgia.. I’m guessing you don’t watch old films, or listen to classic albums then. I, and I’m guessing a massive percentage of GT players would love to race the classics in glorious 4K and if they ever do reappear then you don’t have to race on them seeing as you despise them so much, simple really!

Yes, assuming you haven't just binned it coming through Blanchimont.

There's similar jumps through the infield at Interlagos (turn 5) and Red Bull Ring (turn 3), the latter of which persists from its A1 Ring days...

I don't see a jump here at all? car stays on the ground the whole way. That ain't this:

I don't see a jump here at all? car stays on the ground the whole way.
Heidfeld is fully four off the floor.
That ain't this:
... no, but it is a place where a naturally out of control vehicle can become easily airborne - like at Interlagos, or Spa, or Willow Springs, all of which are real tracks, and none of which you can say don't have:
a realistic level of concern for runoff area or safety
This is the best jump in GT Sport, T2 of Big Willow. :D

The gulley leading from just before T2 to the exit of the final turn is better (though a lot less natural). There's an excellent one on Streets as well, best found on the reverse course, just before the final sector. And then all of Horse Thief Mile.

The Interlagos one is hilarious though. If you spear right between turns 4/5 and Ferradura straight through the infield, you can get completely airborne and clear even a Tundra on the circuit, before hitting the concrete wall opposite the corner well above the tyre barrier level.

This is true, most of the original circuits didn't have a realistic level of concern for runoff area or safety.

The launchpad at the final chicane of Trial Mountain is a particularly egregious example.

Most/all new fictional tracks in GT Sport don't have realistic safety features either. But most of them are great. Dragon Trail Seaside is probably my favourite track in-game.

But the death chicane would not pass any track inspection anywhere. Nor would any Tokyo Expressway variant, or Sardegna Road track. Probably others too.

As for Deep Forest et al... I still believe it isn't in game because the environment cannot be laser scanned. If it was as simple as reducing tree size or reducing kerb size it would surely be in game already.

Personally i was glad to see the back of those circuits. GT cannot and should not thrive upon nostalgia. I hope they never return to any future title, same goes for a lot of the so called "missing" cars. Good riddance!
Gran Valley, Trial mountain, Deep Forest are very good tracks and I really really really hope they are in the next GT title.

complete bollocks, those iconic tracks are a part of what makes Gran Turismo the game it is today..it’s not about thriving on nostalgia.. I’m guessing you don’t watch old films, or listen to classic albums then. I, and I’m guessing a massive percentage of GT players would love to race the classics in glorious 4K and if they ever do reappear then you don’t have to race on them seeing as you despise them so much, simple really!

Complete bollocks, those boring, vastly over-rated tracks exclusion is a part of what has made GT Sport so much more interesting rather than thriving on nostalgia. I watch plenty of old films and listen to plenty of old music because the individual makers of them don't purely rely on their back catalogue, they move on and experiment (like Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder for example!) much like PD has and I for one welcome the change in direction. And I'm quite aware I don't have to play on them, but thanks for pointing out the bleedin' obvious, Dad. However, I would much rather PD use their resources to create new circuits both real and fantasy as the likes of Maggiore and Kyoto are fantastic.

DeepForest1.png
GrandValley.png
Special Stage Route 5.png
TrialMountain1.png

Grand Valley, Trial mountain, Deep Forest, Special Stage 5 were fantastic and I miss them a lot - would love to drive them again.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing how the latest cars drive on the classic tracks. I welcome them. Similar to how real racing series rac on classic and new tracks. SOme tracks are resurfaced and turns adde, new run off, etcetera. Doesn't have to be nostalgic for nostalgia sake. GT as a franchise should have the original tracks from past games.

We have new to the series tracks like Goodwood Motor Circuit and Autopolis. We also have Laguna Seca. Pretty much a "nostalgia" track. With all the tracks in game now, look like PD have enough resoucres to pull off all the classics.

Complete bollocks, those boring, vastly over-rated tracks exclusion is a part of what has made GT Sport so much more interesting rather than thriving on nostalgia. I watch plenty of old films and listen to plenty of old music because the individual makers of them don't purely rely on their back catalogue, they move on and experiment (like Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder for example!) much like PD has and I for one welcome the change in direction. And I'm quite aware I don't have to play on them, but thanks for pointing out the bleedin' obvious, Dad. However, I would much rather PD use their resources to create new circuits both real and fantasy as the likes of Maggiore and Kyoto are fantastic.
If you say they are boring, just don't drive on Gran Valley, Trial mountain, Deep Forest tracks but I really hope PD put a lot of nostalgia tracks in the next GT real game.

I watch plenty of old films and listen to plenty of old music because the individual makers of them don't purely rely on their back catalogue, they move on and experiment (like Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder for example!) much like PD has and I for one welcome the change in direction.

yes I know and that’s why I love them, but they also play plenty of old classics when they play live because we, as fans, wouldn’t be complete without hearing them again, but hey, you don’t like the old tracks and that’s fair enough, most people loved them though

Thing is Gran Turismo has always had 'fake cars' and 'fake tracks'... I dont think complaining about that at this point makes much sense.

If you want the real cars and real tracks then maybe this game isnt for you? Project Cars 2 instead?

I would much rather have real cars and real tracks as well... however it only goes so far... if you wanted to give me a choice of say COTA or Hungaroring or the PD original tracks then the choice is clear... gimme the fake tracks!

I think maybe PD are saving up the old favourites for GT7 just to have that 'wow pop' factor on a new console.

I loved El Capitan, and that is the one tack that I would like to see brought into GT Sport. However, it would probably be carnage as a multiplayer track.

I honestly don't hugely miss many of the other old tracks, great as they were back in the day. I think that most of the new fictional tracks that they have brought into GT Sport are really good.

I believe it was mentioned multiple times that Deep Forest and Trial Mountain were well in the works?
I always assumed that without proper ray tracing for the light through the leaves effects they just couldn't be done to a standard that Kaz's perfectionist OCD would find acceptable.
I very much hope and expect them to return in the next game.

Project Cars overall tries to ape real tracks and real cars though. That's fine if you're trying to skirt licensing.

However that's not the case with Sony... they're actually licensing real world brand spaceships in the VGT program!

Even with Microsoft I think they try to do real life... barring Legos and Hotwheels and the Fallout Halo tie ins.

Gran Turismo has always tried to be over the top fanciful which I like.. not as a whole but the occasional inspired spaceship is welcome.

Hate to break it to you but, isn’t Sakitto is technically Suzuka?
Break it to me? :lol:

And no, it isn't. It's largely very similar to Suzuka, but has a number of reprofiled and altered corners. I mean, the first turn in the esses is to the right, for a start, and it's missing a turn. There's no hairpin, no Casio Triangle, and its 130R is definitely not a 130R profile.

There's also the Azure Circuit, like GT's Cote d'Azur, but if "kinda real but they don't have the licence so it's not quite the real thing" isn't up to scratch for "fake", there's Chesterfield, Glencoe, a couple of kart tracks, and a bunch of fictional roads in California and Scotland...

Project Cars overall tries to ape real tracks and real cars though. That's fine if you're trying to skirt licensing.

However that's not the case with Sony...
GT also does that - look at Gr.3 and Gr.4! A quick scan back in the series also brings out the LM cars - some of which are highly unlikely, but somehow acceptable interpretations.
they're actually licensing real world brand spaceships in the VGT program!
Some of which are also real. And real... ish.

But ultimately they're just concept cars that GT lets you drive. Most concept cars are either not driveable at all, or nowhere close to the on-paper specs. That's because most concept cars are missing important things like engines, or somewhere to sit, or windows (those that have these things generally only have them so they can be easily moved; they won't be what the plaque says) - and quite a few are literally models with no actual engineering in them whatsoever. Sure, the 2X's pulse laser and the Tomahawk's flippyuppy bits are daft, but for the most part the VGTs are no more or less real than any other concept car.

The point remains, however. If you want to play a game that excludes "fake" cars and tracks completely, you're on a hiding to nothing. About your only choice is a tightly focused game like ACC, with nothing but real GT3 cars (and soon GT4) and real GT3 circuits. And even then, PC players can get a Deep Forest mod for it... :lol:

GT also does that - look at Gr.3 and Gr.4! A quick scan back in the series also brings out the LM cars - some of which are highly unlikely, but somehow acceptable interpretations.

I think it'd be awesome if some of the older LM cars could make it into Gr.4 or Gr.3 like the Ford GT did, but I'd also be content with simply leaving them behind, and having PD focus more on licensing actual racecars that could fill those niches, and maybe fabricating a racecar only if the automaker doesn't have a real-world equivalent at the time, or if licensing is too much of a hassle. An example being the Hyundai Genesis Gr.3 and Gr.4, though I could see the real-world Hyundai i30N TCR being an alternative Gr.4 option.

Let's go with another example. Why bother with the older FTO LM Race Car when you could use a real-world GT300-spec FTO from the JGTC era instead? To be honest, given their non-uniform power and weight figures, I could easily see the remaining touring cars and RM models from the PS3-era games being in the N-Class, and more akin to tuners than race cars. The only exceptions would be the ones that already come close to the power/weight seen for those respective classes.

Back