Why Trial Mountain, Grand Valley, and Deep Forest Aren't in GT Sport (Yet)

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Dec 28, 2017.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. rallymorten

rallymorten

And thus, the Hype Train departs from the station..

3. BrunusCL82

BrunusCL82

It would be magical if the PD increased the scale of the original circuits, increasing the mileage of some lines and curves, but without losing the original design.

4. GT Sport

GT Sport

Circuit de la Sarthe??:bowdown:

5. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

It's nice to know, but I'm just gonna throw this out there... are those 'holy trinity' of GT circuits actually deserving of inclusion - or is it 'just' nostalgia that makes people want them?

FoRiZon, e30 freek, ferhound and 8 others like this.
  6. Ameer67

Ameer67 Premium

Here's hoping the original tracks don't lose much of their personality if they do get redesigns. I trust PD on this one though, as I'd say GT6's versions of Apricot Hill and Midfield turned out quite nice.

Meanwhile on Dragon Trail...

upload_2017-12-28_13-16-32.png

7. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Staff Emeritus

We won't speak of the GT4-era Grand Valley corner reprofiling... :(

Would you argue the big three aren't genuinely good race tracks? Trial Mountain will probably have to undergo some level of redesign for that final chicane. I imagine the rocks lining the track could be an issue in terms of realism, though in practice, they're no different from Tokyo's walls. But other than that, I think the layouts of all three have aged quite well.

8. JayRS200

JayRS200

I've played them since the first GT game. I would rather have new fantasy tracks to learn or historic real life tracks like Spa, Monza, Silverstone etc from different eras... those are the real classics.

9. eminem09494

eminem09494

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. BrunusCL82

BrunusCL82

Oops.

[​IMG]

ProjectF, bremics and Ameer67 like this.
  11. GTRacer22

GTRacer22 Premium

If you think PD has the ability to include all of these tracks, you might want to lower your expectations. A lot.

12. Martin DS

Martin DS

I miss Grand Valley Speedway, for me thats the most iconic GT track. Hope they bring it back.
    Other than that it's great that we're finally getting news about new tracks comming to GTS.

13. phl0w

phl0w

I always liked GT for its graphics, and amazing presentation of their original tracks. If I want to race on world circuits, I fire up Assetto or PC1/2.
    I race Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, and Grand Valley over Le Mans any day of the week. Don't know what the fuss about La Sarthe is, it is a bad track. Period. I never heard a racing driver gush over that track. When asked usually Brands Hatch, old Austrian ring, Spa, Monza, Watkins Glen, Monaco come up. Le Mans? Not so much.

14. cudwieser

cudwieser

You've said a bad word there. Realism. In the context of a fanciful location, no matter how well grounded in realism, artistic license is always an op
    Top Gear isn't coming. It was a licensed tie-in that was picked up by Forza after GT5. Also I doubt it was on Kaz's mind to renew it as it served its purpose.

The rest would be interesting and the enboldened ones are certainly a must, add all from Deep Forest and below on your list.

Essential tracks should include all tracks used in the GT series not just all the repeat tracks. The only exceptions being the likes of promo tracks like Top Gear.

phil_75 likes this.
  15. eminem09494

eminem09494

Doesn't have the ability but it's what it should do.
    A FIA sponsored game should have more real world tracks

16. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Agreed. Le Sarthe is awful, a couple of meandering corners, a long straight, tight chicane, long straight, a few more tight corners then back to a couple meandering corners.

I always though the original three tracks being discussed here were pretty good. When I was young Grand Valley also annoyed me, but I got used to it and now it's up there on my "must have tracks" in a GT game. Deep Forest will always be my favorite though, I used to spend hours hot lapping it with various cars in search of a sub-1 minute time.

fastone371, J_Martell, Fredzy and 2 others like this.
  17. Pedinhuh

Pedinhuh

Deep Forest???

NICE!!!!

Now, where the hell is...

Grand Valley Speedway;
    Red Rock Valley Speedway;
    Grindelwald;
    Trial Mountain;
    Eiger Nordwand(forgot how to spell it);
    Tokyo R249;
    Costa di Amalfi;
    And Rome Circuit.

Get to work Kaz, don't fail our hype!!!

18. EbrahimOsman

EbrahimOsman

I can't help but ask. With the obvious budget they have. What the hell have they been doing with their time since GT6.

You can't get an outside team or more members to help with track and car design.

I love GT. I love PD. But it's becoming unacceptable. They seem to get 1/3 done in the time others have released 2-3 games already.

Something has to give. Really.

19. jaczrwild3

jaczrwild3

I had a feeling they were coming sooner or later, but likely one at a time rather than in a big "GT Classics" update like I think I'd prefer they would do, Oh well, hyped either way.

Hoping they don't leave Apricot Hill and Midfield in the dust just a few years after they were redesigned as well. :(

20. Chris27

Chris27

I’m wondering if these tracks (and maybe others) will just be part of either another free update once reprofiling is complete, or maybe as an unlock feature in the GT League? That would make completing certain sections of the game feel more rewarding rather than just gaining cash/mileage points etc. Don’t get me wrong, I use these rewards to my advantage, but it would be great to have an unlock feature in the game, anyone agree?

21. Islaygaz

Islaygaz

I think Autumn Ring should be in there too! For me that's also an iconic Gran Turismo circuit!

J_Martell, AlexDB9, ProjectF and 19 others like this.
  22. Pedinhuh

Pedinhuh

I always hated that track, both long and short versions, but I think if they're going back to classics, then this should be a priority as well.

GBO Possum likes this.
  23. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

I'd argue that their merit as race tracks is disproportionate to the degree people want them in the game, and that discrepancy is due to nostalgia.

Whilst I was at it... I'd also argue that the layout and aesthetic of those tracks was not dictated by what made for good racing using the physics engine we have now - nor to get the best of the rendering and lighting engine we have now, but instead was designed to make the best of 20 year old know-how (hence all the claustrophobic nature of their designs). I would also add that, from what I recall seeing, one common big complaint about PD tracks is that they are too 'smooth', and that any new layout, or new version of an old layout, is still susceptible to that problem - so the degree to which people are happy with them in the end, might not be so related to their layout, aesthetic, or sentimental values - but how well executed the re-modelling of the surface is.

If I have an issue with fantasy tracks in general, it only comes down to how well executed they seem as a real-life venue, i.e., are they the SRT Tomahawk of the fantasy track-world, or the BMW VGT of the fantasy track-world (to be fair to PD, we've not seen the Chaparral 2X of fantasy-track-world from them yet). As such, I think GVS needs a bit of re-working, and that TM and DF might almost be better presented as Eiger Nordwand type venues, than racing circuits... but that's just my personal preference.

edit:

I'm not hating on Original tracks in general, I'd like a mix of both in the game... but as I mentioned above - is getting the same ones we had 20 years ago really what would make the best of the game?

stevenhiggster, Dougill and Gr8_Lakes like this.
  24. MisterOne77

MisterOne77

I never really cared about how long PD has taken to do things. Especially now since the things we wanted in GTS are planned to arrive in future updates.
    At this point, I couldn't care less about how long these things take to arrive. I'm just happy that they're even coming to GTS. I don't mind waiting.

25. BrunusCL82

BrunusCL82

Red Rock Valley needs to come back.

It is the best "oval" ever created.

Since GT2 it does not appear.

The time is now! Please, Kaz!

Bring Red Rock Valley!

It is better than any oval.

26. MMX

MMX Premium

Surprised there's no mention of High Speed Ring. That track was so much a part of GT, it's outline was used to symbolize tracks in general as an in game icon.

Edit for attachment of GT5 UI

Attached Files:

27. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

So.. why they aren't in the game?

"There is no particular reason"

:crazy:

28. GTRacer22

GTRacer22 Premium

29. BrunusCL82

BrunusCL82

Oh, man.

I'm not happy with promises.

I calm down with concrete actions.

After five years of GT6, GTS appears as a skinny and malnourished game in relation to content.

We can not rest easy in the face of these concrete facts.

If Yamauchi-san told me that in 2018 he will bring more than 20 tracks and 200 cars, i would be happy and calm.

But I doubt very much about the history of PD. It's too slow. Too much. A lot.

See for yourself! Kaz just admitted that they are only now reworking in Deep Forest!

What? What have they done in the last five years?

So, by the way, if there are 5 circuits in 2018, it will be a herculean victory.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    karelpipa, phil_75 and Ssantana like this.
  30. Pedinhuh

Pedinhuh

And please, make the sunset as glorious and magical like it was back in that game.

Racing in that track with that lightning was something else man...Great times!