What are the chances of Gran Turismo 7 being available on PC?

• Thread starter ICEYOU3
  • 262 comments
Take Grid 2019 or F1 2019, both of which , for min spec GPUs list the GT640, a card that came out in 2012. That's a 7 year life span.

It only with F1 2021 and the upcoming Grid Legends than they have increased the min spec to a GTX 950, which is still a five year old card. It's also going to run F1 2021 with a similar visual quality to that which it would have obtained on F1 2017, as these things are relative.
Codies games might not be the best example to use considering the fact that they are still running off the EGO engine, which by this point is showing its age as an engine in service for nearly two decades by this point. So a 3090 or whatever bleeding edge graphics card tech is more often then not overkill for most Codies titles.

Nevertheless, lets say you are intent on going for high water marks with regards to PC graphics. More then likely if done right, you're probably going to change graphics cards especially once every five or six years...so basically, the life span of a console in general. So really, you're spending the same amount of money to upgrade a graphics card, in the same time frame, then what are you really losing on the PC side? Not even getting into the fact that for most people, they don't upgrade graphics cards right away unless the performance starts to seriously degrade in modern games.

To put it another way, I've had my first gaming PC built by a friend with a GTX 1050Ti inside of it. Great for 1080p, and 144hz...or to put it simply, analogous to a Series S, which I already have. And for the games I intend to play on this system, perfect for my needs with enough modularity in case I do want to upgrade it down the road and press it into more general gaming use, which I probably will when the graphics card boom calms down enough to make it worthwhile. For most people, a 3090 is basically the high end and not indicative of the actual gaming experience on PC, especially if you go by Steam Hardware surveys:

Again, this isn't to say that consoles aren't a good option for those who want to set down and forget it (even though by this point next gen consoles are basically computers, with Xbox consoles running a fork of Windows) but really, PC building isn't as daunting as it once was, even with the graphics card price boom fueled by crypto, and in relation to this thread's topic, is an ever increasing subsection of the gaming population (especially in our corner of the world, where I guarantee that 95% of PC sim racers either started or have decent enough experience with console sims like GT or Forza) that can't exactly be ignored anymore.

But I'm not talking about minimum specification. I know you can play in that spec if you want, but that's not how I want to play.

Maybe people think I'm arrogant because of that, but if the game can offer a certain graphic, I want to enjoy it.

But I still play the good old Diablo2 LOD in 800x600 from time to time.
My 5 year old laptop with a GTX1080 runs modern games with better graphics than my standard PS4 can achieve. I got the laptop about 6 year ago.

What you're doing is increasing the benchmark you want to play at every year, you can very well run AAA games on 3, 4, 5 year old hardware with great graphics, but you may not be able to play them on Ultra, but then Ultra now doesn't represent the same standard of graphics as that 3, 4, 5 year old console you bought either. So it comes down to restraint, being satisfied with what you have and not chasing the wind to constantly have the latest and greatest.

I recent (I say recently it was Sept 2020) built myself a new PC, and I had the cash to put high level parts in it, RTX 3080, Ryzen 5800X etc. They weren't the best I could buy, but they were high spec. I can still play games on ultra settings now over a year later. And in another year I probably will be able to too. A year on from that and I may or may not have to start dialing down some settings, but you know what, the graphics I end up with after dialing a couple of things back will still be fairly comparable to what I am getting on games right now.

Last edited:
Ultimately, that's what PC building offers - modularity and the ability to set your own benchmark on how high, and subsequently how much, you want to spend, and on what. And why for some, it's better then consoles.

Are you only using it for a subsection of games you can't get on console that aren't as intensive? Emulation? You can afford to go a bit lower and still get
fantastic performance if you don't care about graphical fidelity.

Are you wanting the best in graphical horsepower? You have that option, but the cost goes up in relation.

The idea that you have to upgrade your PC every year is just an absolute crock of ****. If anything, by this point, I get the feeling that console OEM's want people to upgrade their consoles now at a greater rate, going by both the Xbox One and PS4 getting (much needed) upgrades halfway through the generation, and by the fact that both next gen systems (PS5 more then the Series, to the benefit of the Series IMO) allow users to much more easily get into the nitty gritty what with adding NVME SSD drives to the PS5, or actively allowing people to use the system for emulation purposes like the Series consoles.

Codies games might not be the best example to use considering the fact that they are still running off the EGO engine, which by this point is showing its age as an engine in service for nearly two decades by this point. So a 3090 or whatever bleeding edge graphics card tech is more often then not overkill for most Codies titles.
Replace it with the Madness Engine, Unity, or Unreal 4. The same thing happens, all these engines have a limiting factor, one that applies to both console and PC.

Project Cars Min Spec GPU was a ten-year-old card at release, with PC2, PC3, and AMS2 it's a card that was five years old at the release of PC2 and is now a decade old.

Last edited:
Although God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn have come out on PC, I think Gran Turismo won't see a PC release, simply because of the IRL correspondent events like tournaments and GT academy. It just makes things simpler for PD to keep nice and neat.

The money is on the table in terms of sales but I'd like to believe Sony is eyeing the bigger picture that is GT's legacy.

Although God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn have come out on PC, I think Gran Turismo won't see a PC release, simply because of the IRL correspondent events like tournaments and GT academy. It just makes things simpler for PD to keep nice and neat.

The money is on the table in terms of sales but I'd like to believe Sony is eyeing the bigger picture that is GT's legacy.

That's a fair point actually, but the only problem with it is there are PC titles that have been ported to consoles that either run competitions on both platforms simultaneously, or only on the primary platform. AC Competizione is one such example. So that's not really a barrier for entry here, or at least it shouldn't be.

"Legacy" is also a shaky subject because its legacy is whatever Kaz/Sony wants it to be, and more importantly whatever we make it out to be. Its legacy used to be that it was the only game of its kind; a racing sim on console in a world full of arcade games. That stopped being the case a long time ago now, and its legacy now seems to be its namesake. What better way to further its legacy than by letting an entirely different platform experience it?

That's a fair point actually, but the only problem with it is there are PC titles that have been ported to consoles that either run competitions on both platforms simultaneously, or only on the primary platform.
Or in the case of Halo Championship Series, run events on PC to begin with. But then again, I imagine most competitive Halo players who are indeed playing Infinite are on PC to begin with...

That's a fair point actually, but the only problem with it is there are PC titles that have been ported to consoles that either run competitions on both platforms simultaneously, or only on the primary platform. AC Competizione is one such example. So that's not really a barrier for entry here, or at least it shouldn't be.

"Legacy" is also a shaky subject because its legacy is whatever Kaz/Sony wants it to be, and more importantly whatever we make it out to be. Its legacy used to be that it was the only game of its kind; a racing sim on console in a world full of arcade games. That stopped being the case a long time ago now, and its legacy now seems to be its namesake. What better way to further its legacy than by letting an entirely different platform experience it?
On the one hand, again, I imagine that 95% of people playing PC sims now got started playing GT, or at least, one of either GT or Forza in the beginning. So really, it's a return to the old stomping grounds for those types.

On the other hand, you're correct in saying that GT's legacy by this point is muddled because it is clear legacy is all it has left. Really, to steal a niche term, it's the Nebraska Cornhuskers football program of sim racers. Endless nostalgia for the glory days because your current reality is nowhere near as rosy, and is very much predicated on treading water against better competition within your own bracket, and in general.

Certainly, putting GT on PC would add another 5 million in perspective sales easy, but it would also force Polyphony to actually change the game (and likely, for the better) because there are just as many options as there are on console, maybe even more. And they're all vying for the same slice of the pie.

A 3090 is overkill for basically every game I can think of. You have to be running some really punishing settings + RTX to actually start pushing the limits of that card.

F1 2021 seems on par graphically with most other games in the genre. With a full field and weather it's a pretty good looking game.
Now you have the following options: continue to play this game and constantly (i.e. every year or at least every few years) upgrade your hardware if you always want to have high settings. Or you throttle the settings further and further. Of course, if you stay with the same game for several years and it doesn't need more graphics power due to updates or expansions, everything is fine.
But if you always want to play the latest game with Super or Ultra settings then you're screwed.

Now you may reply with the console that it is weaker and eg. no multi monitor can. Yes, I'm that smart too and that's exactly what I call acceptable.

Games that are exclusive to the console are usually optimized for this console down to the last detail.
The programmers don't have to take any detours or create alternatives so that "older" hardware is also compatible with the game.

Nothing changes "basically" on the console, so it's always the same basis for new games to be developed.

Do you then have the same performance as a very good PC? No.. BUT a game that comes out for the console in 2-3 years will also run as well as one that comes out now. A game that will come to the PC in a couple of years will probably overwhelm the "old" PC.

And as a last point.

Please do not imagine that you know what I can do ( what i can buy ). Because you might be surprised.

I just hate paying more money than "necessary" in general. At current hardware prices, any upgrade is an absolute joke. Graphics card prices, which are sometimes 50 - 100% above the recommended retail price, are no longer acceptable in any way. Before Covid I would not have bought hardware even at the suggested retail price.

The same goes for the PS5.
Could I buy such a console from a "scalper" for 1000 euros? Of course I could, but seriously.. I couldn't be that "stupid" in my life.
That's my attitude towards my money, I want something sensible and good for my money, but I just don't spend more than is really necessary.
There's some pretty major misunderstandings about how games run on older hardware that shows that you've never actually tried to do this. New games run fine on older hardware, and High settings on a 2022 game isn't necessarily worse looking than Ultra settings on a 2016 game.

But it comes down to the fact that you'd prefer hardware that performs worse at the end of it's hardware cycle and doesn't allow hardware upgrades because... you feel bad if there are upgrades available but you don't buy them?

You do what you like bro, and flex all you want about how rich you are and how many things you can afford. I'm sure everyone is very impressed. But the reality is that the "requirement" to upgrade yearly is one that only exists for you. It's psychological, and normal people are completely capable of buying a PC and running it for 5+ years while enjoying fairly consistent or mildly improving graphics.

There are reasons that someone might prefer consoles over a PC, but the lack of any upgrade paths is not really one of them.

Hate to break it to you, but in terms of online longevity PD and the GT series has a very poor track record.

iRacing's a poor comparison, if anything made Sony look at PC for the GT series it was the success FH4 had when it hit Steam (and despite having been out on XBox and on PC via the MS store for quite some time already).

It really, really isn't.

Its visuals, photomode, and replays are matched by a number of PC titles.
Its track and Car list is not as varied as other titles on Playstation let alone PC (numbers don't make for a balanced car and tracklist)
GT's career mode has also sucked for quite a while now, the brain-dead AI, with chase-the-rabbit AI needed to die a long time ago.

All of the above is further shown to not be as advantageous when you throw in titles that support mods. Quite frankly in terms of all of the above, Assetto Corsa, on PC, with mods, runs rings around GT. Hell, it's got GT titles that GTS doesn't have (and haven't been confirmed for GT& yet).

Not even close to a high-end graphic card (and that's 150km long road):

What GT has, and what would help it, is a solidly accessible balance of light-sim gameplay, if they can match that to a career mode that is actually worth a damn, then it a title that PC gamers will buy.

[/THREAD]

Jerome

As it doesn't look like I'll be able to find a PS5 for a couple of years, and my PS4 has died, then a PC version will likely be my only chance of getting the game for quite a while.

Ok, I didn't know about this incident primarily because I just got GT Sport in Jan of 21 and that all happened almost two full years before I drove out of my first pit road...
Thank you for opening my eyes to a situation.

Last edited:
Funny how PC players (not just the casual player) admit that cheating is a problem on PC, and that's one of the main advantage of consoles. Another advantage is the fact that everyone is somewhat on a leveled playing field (I do remember at some point in PUBG, players playing in lower settings, revealing players that thought were hidden). Then the abundance of cheaters in GTA, CSGO, BF, COD, and so on. So yeah, "fear" of cheaters is a legitimate concern.
Not to dig up a dead horse carcass or anything...

Once again, proving that developers, through thick and thin, ultimately want to stop cheaters as much as possible. Even with COD being one of the exceptions to the rule for the longest time, they're starting to get it, and starting to pool their resources to combat it in honestly inventive ways.

Which goes to show how absolutely moronic the belief of 'fear of cheaters' with a potential PC release of GT7 is, and will continue to be. More then anything else, if one looks at GT7's contemporaries in the online space, that being ACC and iRacing, there's little actual, practical hacking and cheating being performed in their multiplayer suites, which goes to show how unfounded the fear of 'hackers' especially in a sim/simcade racing title is. More then likely the actual fear should be cheating from glitches and abuse of corner cutting - which, as has been shown in this thread, is and was a problem in GT Sport, to the point where Polyphony wiped the leaderboards...and would serve at least some sort of look into their mindset about hacking and cheating in this hypothetical.

Not to dig up a dead horse carcass or anything...

Once again, proving that developers, through thick and thin, ultimately want to stop cheaters as much as possible. Even with COD being one of the exceptions to the rule for the longest time, they're starting to get it, and starting to pool their resources to combat it in honestly inventive ways.

Which goes to show how absolutely moronic the belief of 'fear of cheaters' with a potential PC release of GT7 is, and will continue to be. More then anything else, if one looks at GT7's contemporaries in the online space, that being ACC and iRacing, there's little actual, practical hacking and cheating being performed in their multiplayer suites, which goes to show how unfounded the fear of 'hackers' especially in a sim/simcade racing title is. More then likely the actual fear should be cheating from glitches and abuse of corner cutting - which, as has been shown in this thread, is and was a problem in GT Sport, to the point where Polyphony wiped the leaderboards...and would serve at least some sort of look into their mindset about hacking and cheating in this hypothetical.

And what does that have to do with GT? Just because COD devs made a good anti-cheat system, it doesn't mean PD would have one too. At this point, PD has so much stuff to fix first, so shifting their energy into making sure the game works on a new platform and that they make a perfectly functional anti-cheat system, makes no sense. Once GT7 is released, and it becomes a finely polished game, only then it should be taken into consideration a PC port.

And what does that have to do with GT? Just because COD devs made a good anti-cheat system, it doesn't mean PD would have one too. At this point, PD has so much stuff to fix first, so shifting their energy into making sure the game works on a new platform and that they make a perfectly functional anti-cheat system, makes no sense. Once GT7 is released, and it becomes a finely polished game, only then it should be taken into consideration a PC port.
That's the thing though, right? The only real reason to not want a PC port is if you think that Polyphony is not a competent enough developer to put out a functional game with a decent anti-cheat system. You assume that not only is the game going to need heaps of stuff fixed at launch, you assume that it couldn't also have anti-cheat because Polyphony isn't capable of doing that at the same time.

It's not about the platform, you're making it about Polyphony. And as much as I give Polyphony a hard time for making weird design decisions, I assume that they're capable of making a functional anti-cheat system if they want to. It's a problem that they could definitely just throw money at in order to get a solution.

i would be very happy if a game like GT would come out multi-platform, much easier for so many players outside one platform to enjoy such a creation.
but for GT itself, i just seriously doubt the game quality PD would be capable to provide if GT is set to be a multi-platform release. it is clear PD is still a 'small' studio with a limited workforce when compared to other common AAA developers. up to date as a ps exclusive release, we can still see the limitations checking content updates of GT games. A multi-platform release of a fully inhouse game engine would force PD to expand a lot on coding, Q&A, debuging etc which would end up requiring large amount of investments which i doubt if PD or SIE would dare to gamble on.

but for GT itself, i just seriously doubt the game quality PD would be capable to provide if GT is set to be a multi-platform release.

lol, straight up

it is clear PD is still a 'small' studio with a limited workforce when compared to other common AAA developers. up to date as a ps exclusive release,

The 300 people that Polyphony employ is absolutely enough to maintain a multi-platform release. If a studio of five people for an indie release can do it, why can't PD? This just seems like circlejerking once more about Polyphony being 'underdogs' which is so out of touch with the actual reality of things that I can't help but laugh.

A multi-platform release of a fully inhouse game engine would force PD to expand a lot on coding, Q&A, debuging etc which would end up requiring large amount of investments which i doubt if PD or SIE would dare to gamble on.

If GT was to be released on PC, as is the thrust of this thread, it would be handled by a secondary studio. This has been established by the pattern set by Sony's other PC releases. Why would it be any different for GT, especially considering PD has been outsourcing now since GT Sport instead of doing everything in house?

I was just reading this article:

There seems to be an unknown live service game coming to PC, and large projected revenue from PC titles.

It made me think about some comments on here about how GT7 is a bit bare bones. Bare bones would be good if you're trying to create a PC version, as there's less to port. Also, another comment I saw on here was that it's as if PD throws away the old code and starts again each time they make a new GT game, sometimes introducing problems that were fixed in older games. Again, if you were planning to create a PC version, creating a new engine that can run on both platforms would be a good approach.

There's a huge element of wishful thinking in this for me, in that I would love to see GT7 on PC, as I have a gaming PC that would run the game massively better than my PS4 Pro does.

What do you think, could GT7 be released for PC?

My only concern is the fact that they can't even get the FFB right for ps wheels, let alone the vast amount of wheel/pedal configs you get for the pc. How would they cope with all the different software apps for different wheels and setups ?! I wouldn't trust or expect them to be capable of such a feat. :eek:
Would be good to be able to play GT7 at 120-144fps, but there's plenty better and more realistic driving games for the pc, so don't really care if it gets to pc or not, enjoying well enough on the ps5.

Last edited:
Back