What are the chances of Gran Turismo 7 being available on PC?

• Thread starter ICEYOU3
  • 262 comments
If I may ask, how do you know Kazunori still holds that position?
I don't - Sony does reshuffle every few year, and the last big one was in March 2021 I think, but that was among the various leading executive in charge of "x" roles.
I cannot find any other references to Kazunori Yamauchi still being a VP for SIE. Perhaps you know this personally, and this information cannot be found on the web?
Pretty sure it's on his business card...

Well, the question that would now follow is: how recently were you given this card? I assume quite recently, then.
I haven't seen Kazunori Yamauchi in person since... December 2019.

I haven't seen Kazunori Yamauchi in person since... December 2019.
Could have been enough time for changes, indeed. Well, I'm still trying to find something more solid than Newsbeezer to tell me what he's doing currently. So far, I can only find him as the owner, president and CEO of Polyphony Digital. Perhaps with SIE's continuing shift to America, he ultimately decided to focus on his studio.

Technically all GT games from 1 - 6 have already come out on PC. Just download the PS Emulator, create a backup of your game disc and play it on your PC. A lot of people have also been able to render the game at much better graphics with modern graphics cards.

Licensing is going to cover a title, or multiple, it wont be per the hardware it's released on.
It's conceivable that a restriction to proprietary hardware could form part of the scope of a licensing agreement. Not saying it is or isn't the case, but since an agreement covering all platforms would allow a developer/publisher a greater potential profit, you can see why a manufacturer might want more back for the license, and therefore you can see why a developer/publisher might narrow the scope to lower the cost.

Last edited:
Have not read through entire postings but from what I know and IMHO; no, it should never be ported to the PC for just the reason of security of racing rules, when games get ported to PC they get modded, which leads to CHEATS & HACKS, which will undermine all efforts of FIA to keep it honest and fair. Do you understand what it will do to the GT community?

PC gamers are hackers and scoundrels and we don’t need that kind of noise in Gran Turismo.
That's a bit of an exaggeration, but yeah, the main concern for console players, is exactly that, the huge amount of hackers PC has and how it could (and would) affect their experience.

Have not read through entire postings but from what I know and IMHO; no, it should never be ported to the PC for just the reason of security of racing rules, when games get ported to PC they get modded, which leads to CHEATS & HACKS, which will undermine all efforts of FIA to keep it honest and fair. Do you understand what it will do to the GT community?
If Sony decide not to allow cross play between the two versions then I can't see what negative impact it would have on the PS-playing GT community.

Last edited:
PC gamers are hackers and scoundrels and we don’t need that kind of noise in Gran Turismo.
People with the names that start with K are trolls and weeaboos and we don't need that kind of noise in Gran Turismo.
iracing.com
That's a bit of an exaggeration, but yeah, the main concern for console players, is exactly that, the huge amount of hackers PC has and how it could (and would) affect their experience.
Console players seem to view any and all PC games as this seething cesspool of hackers where you can't go two minutes without seeing someone cheating, having your computer infected with malware, and getting banned simply for being in the same post code as someone else who was cheating.

Given the actual reality, it seems to say more about their own state of mind I think. You know, like how Catholic priests are really concerned about child molesters.

I'm pretty sure I've seen more "hacking" in GT5 than any other game I've played, and it's actually one of the redeeming features of the game. It turns out that modding is pretty cool, tinkering with your game in single player modes is fun, and that online can be secure if the developers are competent enough to put their pants on by themselves.

*"Hacking" in this sense meaning modifying the game in ways that are explicitly not allowed by the developer. Adding mods to AC isn't hacking. Hybrids are. Abusing game mechanics for wheelspins in Horizon isn't hacking. Decrypting save files and editing them is.

Console players seem to view any and all PC games as this seething cesspool of hackers where you can't go two minutes without seeing someone cheating, having your computer infected with malware, and getting banned simply for being in the same post code as someone else who was cheating.

Given the actual reality, it seems to say more about their own state of mind I think. You know, like how Catholic priests are really concerned about child molesters.

I'm pretty sure I've seen more "hacking" in GT5 than any other game I've played, and it's actually one of the redeeming features of the game. It turns out that modding is pretty cool, tinkering with your game in single player modes is fun, and that online can be secure if the developers are competent enough to put their pants on by themselves.

*"Hacking" in this sense meaning modifying the game in ways that are explicitly not allowed by the developer. Adding mods to AC isn't hacking. Hybrids are. Abusing game mechanics for wheelspins in Horizon isn't hacking. Decrypting save files and editing them is.
Hackers/cheaters, that's what I mean, as most of the cheaters, did not hack the game themselves.

Well, it won't happen in every lobby you get in (if that was the case, online PC gaming would have died), but when it does happen, it gets annoying. No one says that that's the entirity of PC gaming, but there's no way around the fact that console players are usually shielded from that, when playing on console.

If a casual player logs in on the weekend, to have some fun after a long week of work, and is unlucky enough to find a cheater on a lobby, it will ruin his experience completely. Now I know you will say that, in that case, just change lobby... but not every cheater is a blatant cheater. In an FPS game, someone could switch on and off the cheat, or simply be descrete with them. A cheater could have a car that is slightly faster than it should at a given BOP range.

I stopped playing GT5 online, due to the cheaters/hackers or whatever you want to call them. Before, to win a drag race for example, I would have to give some thought to the set up or the car I'm using, once hacked cars started being a thing, all that became pointless. What was the fun of going to Sarthe or SSR7, and do some drag racing, if someone could just show up with a hacked Fiat 500 and beat everything I had, with no skill at all?

As for Modding, to me, is like Graffiti: cool when done right and where it's appropriate, not cool when it ends up being a bunch D's, gang symbols, offensive phrases and where it's not appropriate. Give people the freedom, and they will push it, ruining everything for both bystanders and those who want to do it without malicious intent.

Lol talking about hackers in a game where the input filtering for gamepad-players is so heavy its basically cheating compared to a wheel.
Input filtering? Please explain for I always have used controller, never wanted to spend $$$$ for a wheel set when I am only a casual / amateur racer.

Cheating and hacking realy isn't this huge problem on PC games it's being made out to be here. It happens in some games more than others. I've spent far more time hacking GT5 and GT6 than Forza Motorport 7 or Horizon 4, and I have both of those on my PC.

Last edited:
1) GT has been at risk of hacking since... forever. Even before the days where everything was stored on a nice, easily accessible hard drive there were cheat devices that made it rather easy.

2) If you actually sat down and played some games on PC you would quickly realize that the only games that really get messed with via mods and "hacks" are ones where the developer allowed it either intentionally or via incompetence. I've played plenty of games on PC where there was no modding community solely because the game was locked down like a bank safe.

Well, it won't happen in every lobby you get in (if that was the case, online PC gaming would have died), but when it does happen, it gets annoying. No one says that that's the entirity of PC gaming, but there's no way around the fact that console players are usually shielded from that, when playing on console.

I stopped playing GT5 online, due to the cheaters/hackers or whatever you want to call them.
So, which one is it? :confused:

As for Modding, to me, is like Graffiti: cool when done right and where it's appropriate, not cool when it ends up being a bunch D's, gang symbols, offensive phrases and where it's not appropriate. Give people the freedom, and they will push it, ruining everything for both bystanders and those who want to do it without malicious intent.
I recall hearing this quite a bit when it came to arguments against having a livery editor in GT. It was a terrible argument for that and it's a terrible argument against modding. I've done quite a bit of modding and really the only "bad" content I've seen in any sizeable amount was low quality content (as in, visually low quality). That's not to say the content you're talking about isn't out there, just that I've yet to run across it when it comes to the games I play.

Although, as I stated earlier it's not even a risk developers have to take if they don't want to. They can even make certain aspects moddable while locking the rest away if they want to allow things like custom liveries made in a third party program.

Lol talking about hackers in a game where the input filtering for gamepad-players is so heavy its basically cheating compared to a wheel.
Yeah, it's almost like the game was made for controller players or something, crazy stuff.

1) GT has been at risk of hacking since... forever. Even before the days where everything was stored on a nice, easily accessible hard drive there were cheat devices that made it rather easy.

2) If you actually sat down and played some games on PC you would quickly realize that the only games that really get messed with via mods and "hacks" are ones where the developer allowed it either intentionally or via incompetence. I've played plenty of games on PC where there was no modding community solely because the game was locked down like a bank safe.

So, which one is it? :confused:

I recall hearing this quite a bit when it came to arguments against having a livery editor in GT. It was a terrible argument for that and it's a terrible argument against modding. I've done quite a bit of modding and really the only "bad" content I've seen in any sizeable amount was low quality content (as in, visually low quality). That's not to say the content you're talking about isn't out there, just that I've yet to run across it when it comes to the games I play.

Although, as I stated earlier it's not even a risk developers have to take if they don't want to. They can even make certain aspects moddable while locking the rest away if they want to allow things like custom liveries made in a third party program.
Everyone has been at the risk of dying since... they are alive. What a great argument, it can applied to pretty much everything in existance.

Anyway, there are highly popular games, with highly competitive eSports modes on them, made by hugely experienced studios, that still didn't solve the cheaters problem. Offline games barely bother with that, as long as people pay for the game, it's all proffit.

But you will surelly pull up an argument that Battlefield, COD, CSGO and so on are/were never plagued with cheaters on PC. Literally the day after I wrote the post before that one, a Youtuber posted a video of a cheater on BF5, headshotting everyone with a sniper on his path. Everyone on that lobby must have had great fun!

Which one what? Yes, GT5 was hacked on console, and so what? It's a lot rarer to happen on a console game, than on PC. If GT5 was hacked on PS3, the same would happen on PC, and probably a lot sooner. That surelly was a lesson to PD.

Livery editor is quite different, don't you think? You won't change the performance of the car with a new livery (except stripes, those do make the car faster, as everyone knows!), and it doesn't affect the other players. And it's probably a lot easier to filter "offensive" liveries, than cheaters.
Cheats, will affect others on an online lobby, like it or not.

As for mods, they do make sense in offline games, in online games it all depends. I don't want to see cars created and used in online lobbies with fake/made-up stats. I don't want to see PD stop modeling cars with the quality they do, because "modders will do that for us". But I wouldn't mind PD allowing some creative freedom when it comes to creating tracks by the players. And that could be achieved on console anyway, if Sony allowed.*

Is this a must? No, PD has so much more to worry about with their new game (AI for example).

*PD scrapped Standard and Premium cars alike for GTS, due to their "lower quality", yet they would allow mods to include even lower quality cars compared to GT6 Premiums? That would be a strange choice. The same for tracks, if we were to get lower quality tracks from modders, might as well allow every track from GT6 to GT7.

As children, PC gamers would cheat on their own mothers while walking through the grocery store. End up going home with some other old lady. Uncontrollable and unconsolable. They're not happy operating within the bounds of anything, whether it be the game designer's rules or the rule of law. And what did that scalped 3090 cost them? Everything. They have no conscience left because they sold it on Marketplace.

For real though, standardization on PC is a hugely difficult thing to design around. Even the best ports have issues depending on hardware and settings so results are never going to be as pure as they are on the console. Plus, obviously from a business standpoint Sony is trying to push Playstations. They're not in the gaming PC business so selling to a platform they can't control doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
There's bad takes then there's this.
I think it's more amusing that people aren't catching the VERY obvious heavy satire involved with it, to be honest.

Absolutely zero people use the word "scoundrels" seriously in 2022.

Which one what? Yes, GT5 was hacked on console, and so what? It's a lot rarer to happen on a console game, than on PC. If GT5 was hacked on PS3, the same would happen on PC, and probably a lot sooner. That surelly was a lesson to PD.
It was because of that above why GTS and GT7 are online saved games, to prevent hacks, performance modding, (dare I say) cheats.
I am not liking online saves only, but it is keeping the playing field level and honest (i truly believe)

Thank you for allowing my opinion here...

Honestly after playing GT Sport for so long I’ve kind of forgotten just how annoying modders in the online portion of GT5 and 6 were. Like the horrible screeching of the tires, the distorted engine sounds, the ungodly sparks and paint as they flew at a million miles an hour. I’m glad that’s all gone forever.

Yeah online saving sucks but at least it prevents things like that from finding their way into the game and ruining the experience for others.

Also now with Engine swaps and car customization massively enhanced there isn’t really a need for modding cars anymore to do that sort of thing.

Everyone has been at the risk of dying since... they are alive. What a great argument, it can applied to pretty much everything in existance.
Yes, yes it can. So can my actual point, that being that there's ways to minimize the risk if the developer chooses to implement proper precautions.

Anyway, there are highly popular games, with highly competitive eSports modes on them, made by hugely experienced studios, that still didn't solve the cheaters problem. Offline games barely bother with that, as long as people pay for the game, it's all proffit.

But you will surelly pull up an argument that Battlefield, COD, CSGO and so on are/were never plagued with cheaters on PC. Literally the day after I wrote the post before that one, a Youtuber posted a video of a cheater on BF5, headshotting everyone with a sniper on his path. Everyone on that lobby must have had great fun!

Huge experienced studios are not immune from incompetence, if anything they are more susceptible to it as they usually focus more on getting the game out there on as many platforms as possible as quickly as they can.

That surelly was a lesson to PD.
What makes you think PC developers can't learn lessons as well?

If they choose to implement them there's lots of ways a developer can help mitigate the potential for hacking with encryption and checking for altered files being the most obvious.
Livery editor is quite different, don't you think?
This is what you listed as examples...

None of those things are performance related, thus I kept it that way because that's how debate works. Coincidentally all those things are possible in the livery editor, so no, it really isn't different.

I don't want to see cars created and used in online lobbies with fake/made-up stats.
Again, there's ways to combat this if the developer chooses to implement them.

I don't want to see PD stop modeling cars with the quality they do, because "modders will do that for us".
I'm confused as to why allowing modding would result in that? Every game I've played that openly supports modding also has a steady flow of developer created content unless the studio has moved their focus to another game. That's not to say there aren't studios that lean a little to heavily on modders supporting the game (looking at you Giants), but there's also nothing saying PD has to be one of them.

Around about how many players were modding in GT5/6? How many people do the SVG conversions on this site alone? I think it’d be a small amount of people, in the GT Community, modding the game anyway. There’s a possibility the floodgates could open with regular pc users having a go at improving content for many players. This could be productive.

Imagine getting those obscure cars from the Suggestions forums. Imagine getting the Newcastle 500 street track. Imagine someone posts up several current TCR cars. imagine a full BTCC list of cars to choose from.

It’s like some people think modding can only be a livery of swear words or pics of genitalia.

Latest Posts

Back