What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,279 comments
A slice of the fruitcake my sister-in-law made, spread with mascarpone, and hot chocolate with a splash of Chambord.

Alligator day in New Orleans!

Lunch - Salsiccia Marinara at Louisiana Pizza Kitchen - "This savory blend of fresh marinara, imported Italian sausage, alligator sausage, and smoked andouille sausage is also topped by a whole milk mozzarella imported from Italy."

20191227_121140.jpg

Supper appetizer at Coterie NOLA - "Chargrilled oysters saturated in an herb butter sauce, topped with a special blend of cheese"

20191227_173835.jpg

Main dish - Alligator Platter - "Fried gator tail and a link of grilled gator sausage, served with remoulade and fries"

20191227_174306.jpg

What a 🤬 tasty day in NOLA. :drool:

Not pictured - beignets from Cafe Du Monde from yesterday. Good, very messy, but not as awesome as I was expecting.

I want to take a trip to New Orleans just to eat delicious food.

@TB Did you have some chicory coffee with your beignets?

I want to take a trip to New Orleans just to eat delicious food.

@TB Did you have some chicory coffee with your beignets?
Don't bother trying to stick to a diet! :lol:

I'm not a huge coffee fan but my wife had a cup since she can't have the glutens.

- - - - -

Last night was a Yardbird at the House of Blues.

Currently waiting at Kingfish for a Kingfish burger.

Edit:

20191229_144943.jpg

TB
Don't bother trying to stick to a diet! :lol:

I'm not a huge coffee fan but my wife had a cup since she can't have the glutens.

I certainly did not try sticking to one at all while I was on a cruise a week and a half ago.

Fillet tonight. I honestly don’t eat this much red meat, however I need to get to grips with temp and time on this new cooker.

FC30B3D3-3660-4DA7-94AF-59C05EB4C797.jpeg

this with Bubble & Squeak fritters along with a red wine gravy. I try and post a pic after cooking.

Fillet tonight. I honestly don’t eat this much red meat, however I need to get to grips with temp and time on this new cooker.

View attachment 878467

this with Bubble & Squeak fritters along with a red wine gravy. I try and post a pic after cooking.
The thicker the cut the better. 127°f for medium rare, 132 for medium. Time is dependent on thickness and overall toughness of the cut. Something like a flank or patio steak, 2.5 to 3 hours is optimal, something more like sirloin needs about about 1.5 hours. Strip steaks, ribeyes, those, well, just go ahead and grill those, though I do recommend sous viding dry aged meat, just to guarantee its cooked through.
Most other types of meat generally only needs 1.5 hours are about 130, 135. Also, meat isnt the only thing to cook sous vide. Check out Guga foods and their side channel Sous Vide everything on youtube.

The thicker the cut the better. 127°f for medium rare, 132 for medium. Time is dependent on thickness and overall toughness of the cut. Something like a flank or patio steak, 2.5 to 3 hours is optimal, something more like sirloin needs about about 1.5 hours. Strip steaks, ribeyes, those, well, just go ahead and grill those, though I do recommend sous viding dry aged meat, just to guarantee its cooked through.
Most other types of meat generally only needs 1.5 hours are about 130, 135. Also, meat isnt the only thing to cook sous vide. Check out Guga foods and their side channel Sous Vide everything on youtube.

Guga is the reason I have a Sous Vide.

I didn’t get a pic of the steaks when cooked as.... we ate them. Seared on the griddle pan about 1 min each side and I’m gobsmacked by how good they were.

Like butter, even my fiancée who likes her steak medium, had it medium rare tonight and loved it. I’m just doing some chicken now for my lunch tomorrow.

The steaks tonight were done at 54c for 1 hour and were perfect.

Yeah, same with me. I was actually looking up dry aging methids and that's when I found SVE. A vacuum sealer is going to be a house warming gift, along with some umai bags and a slab of rib eye.
I like to smoke my steaks on the cold side for about the length a hand full of soaked wood chips lasts, then sear. Very nice. Enjoy the machine man, and definitely try to get some pictures next time.

Yeah, same with me. I was actually looking up dry aging methids and that's when I found SVE. A vacuum sealer is going to be a house warming gift, along with some umai bags and a slab of rib eye.
I like to smoke my steaks on the cold side for about the length a hand full of soaked wood chips lasts, then sear. Very nice. Enjoy the machine man, and definitely try to get some pictures next time.

next for me is a torch and searsall. Then I might get me a few Umai bags. I’m also going to get some Water Buffalo steaks too. I’ve had the burgers and it’s something else. Also Wagu is on the hit list.

See if you cant find some Elk too. Wagyu... man, dont know that I could ever afford that stuf.

Made ribs last night.
20200104_181118.jpg
20200104_181112.jpg
20200104_181102.jpg
Did the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours smoking, 2 hours basting (I just wrapped it in tin foil filled with some Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar) in the oven or on the grill in a tub then 1 hour on the grill to sauce. Think I am going to change up a bit next time and do 3 hours smoking, 3 hours in the oven wrapped then take them back on the grill to sauce, but for maybe 5 minutes instead, just enough to start caramelizing the sauce.
I think over all the ribs came out good. They were just fall apart enough, but a little on the dry side. I think that was a product of my smoking method. I really need to invest in a proper smoker. Regulating heat when it's just a couple of steaks isn't hard, it's much easier to do dual zones. When it's a rack of ribs that covers a good portion of the grill, sometimes you gotta get creative.
20200104_125258.jpg
I do admit, I love mixing my interest in tinkering with my passion for grilling. Unfortutnately, I think blowing the cooler air in to keep the cooking zone at 180-190°f aided in the moisture loss. That and that last "hour" of cooking on the grill.

Last edited:
A hamburger burrito? Interesting use of a patty. My grandma once made a meatloaf with a burrito in the middle. That was quite the experience that I suggest everyone give a try.

A hamburger burrito? Interesting use of a patty. My grandma once made a meatloaf with a burrito in the middle. That was quite the experience that I suggest everyone give a try.
Oh-ho-ho, I'm not falling for that. You just want others to share in your misery.

Some fantastic crackers made with pistachios and dried cranberries, brie to spread on them, and a Tullamore DEW and club soda with a lime twist.

Got a set of engraved Waterford rocks glasses for my birthday and christened it by promptly filling one with a Pisco Bramble.

Back