What are you watching?

• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 4,844 comments
TB
I'm just about to start it.

Perhaps I shouldn't...
It's not horrible, it's actually shot real good and the cinematics are good. It's 2 hours long and could be 1.5 at the most. It's better then a lot of the stuff he's been putting out, but still subpar for me.

It's not horrible, it's actually shot real good and the cinematics are good. It's 2 hours long and could be 1.5 at the most. It's better then a lot of the stuff he's been putting out, but still subpar for me.
After finishing it last night, I couldn't agree more. It played out too long and while it had its moments, it was largely forgettable.

3/10

TB
After finishing it last night, I couldn't agree more. It played out too long and while it had its moments, it was largely forgettable.

3/10
I tried to warn you in a subtle type of way. :). At least we have several more Netflix exclusives by him coming our way.

The 100: Season 1 and 2. If you like Fallout games, you will most likely enjoy this show. There are a lot of similarities. I watched both seasons that are on Netflix and truly enjoyed it from beginning to end.

The Flash: Season 1. Long season but this was also another very good season from beginning to end. Just a warning, they tie a lot into Arrow so I had a few spoilers for Arrow while watching The Flash.

Currently watching "Northern Exposure", the fiancée and I are getting to the end of Season 3.

I bought the DVDs years ago for my mum and she never watched them. I thought someone might as well spin them at least once.

I'm actually enjoying it. It's got a good balance of drama and comedy.

Watching Rare Exports again (third time.) This is rapidly becoming something of a Christmas tradition for us - saw both parts of Hogfather before that too, so a kind of mini Christmas origins-fest.

Last edited:
Nightcrawler

Jake Gyllenhaal plays Louis Bloom, an unemployed part-time thief who stumbles upon the world of stringers - freelance videographers who film arrests, accidents and crime scenes and sell the footage to local news broadcasters. Realising that he has a knack for it and a willingness to suppress his conscience long enough, he delves into this seedy world to make a name for himself. It's a hard part to play, but Gyllenhaal gets just the right balance of creepy and affable, even though the film becomes a bit preachy at the end.

The November Man

Faced with the twilight of his career, an Irish actor struggles to let go of his past as a sophisticated (if polarising) secret agent, and so takes a job re-enacting The Bourne Supremacy.

Pierce Brosnan plays a retired CIA assassin who comes out of retirement for one last job, but when things go badly, he goes on the run and tries to unravel a conspiracy. This is a film where highly-trained spies are able to guess where bad guys are stationed inside a locked room before jumping in; those same bad guys charge into corridors and stairwells completely unarmed, or sit guarding hostages without reacting to a raging fire fight outside until the good guys jump into the room. I'm pretty sure that the CIA have included this in their training programme as part of "Fieldwork 101: What You Should Not Do".

I just watched "The Iceman" on Nerflix. It's a movie based on Richard Kuklinski, the real life hitman for the mob who whacked over 100 people. Kuklinski is played by Michael Shannon who does a fine job. It also stars Ray Liotta. Good movie for those who like mob movies. It came out in 2012 but I just got around to watching it. A heads up, it is a bit gory. 7.5/10

I'm currently very annoyed - I was looking forward to seeing Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight this week, but then discovered that the Australian release has been pushed back to 21 January.

Fargo

I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers, but it took me quite a while to get around to watching Fargo. It's not bad, but it's eclipsed by some of their later films. I always liked the way they try to present things as just being one part of a wider world - as opposed to something like The November Man where the characters are the only ones affected by the events around them, creating an impression that they exist in a bubble, and so for all intents and purposes, they are the only people in the world - but here it's lacking the subtlety needed to make it convincing, so you get a stream of sub-plots that don't really go anywhere (which isn't helped by a short running time). But the film still has the Coens' grounded-in-reality approach where the criminals think they're so clever, but the police easily catch them.

Non-Stop

Liam Nesson on an airplane. It goes exactly how you'd expect it to - Irish brogue and arses kicked. He's a damaged federal air marshall who becomes convinced of a threat on-board a plane while the rest of the world becomes convinced that he is the threat. The film does try to do something interesting with the inherent flaw in all frame-the-hero plots (ie, there is always one piece of exculpatory evidence that will prove the hero's innocence), but doesn't give the audience enough to work with. Ideally, you should be able to work the mystery out for yourself (and in this case, seriously suspect Nesson), but there's nothing there and so all you can do is watch Nesson figure it out. You get none of the thrill from beating him to the conclusion.

I just watched "The Iceman"
Honestly, why do people think that's a badass nickname? It's not. It sounds like something a twelve year-old thinks is a cool nickname in Call of Duty and is now trying to get all of his friends to call him "Iceman".

Last edited:
I'm currently very annoyed - I was looking forward to seeing Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight this week, but then discovered that the Australian release has been pushed back to 21 January.

Fargo

I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers, but it took me quite a while to get around to watching Fargo. It's not bad, but it's eclipsed by some of their later films. I always liked the way they try to present things as just being one part of a wider world - as opposed to something like The November Man where the characters are the only ones affected by the events around them, creating an impression that they exist in a bubble, and so for all intents and purposes, they are the only people in the world - but here it's lacking the subtlety needed to make it convincing, so you get a stream of sub-plots that don't really go anywhere (which isn't helped by a short running time). But the film still has the Coens' grounded-in-reality approach where the criminals think they're so clever, but the police easily catch them.

Non-Stop

Liam Nesson on an airplane. It goes exactly how you'd expect it to - Irish brogue and arses kicked. He's a damaged federal air marshall who becomes convinced of a threat on-board a plane while the rest of the world becomes convinced that he is the threat. The film does try to do something interesting with the inherent flaw in all frame-the-hero plots (ie, there is always one piece of exculpatory evidence that will prove the hero's innocence), but doesn't give the audience enough to work with. Ideally, you should be able to work the mystery out for yourself (and in this case, seriously suspect Nesson), but there's nothing there and so all you can do is watch Nesson figure it out. You get none of the thrill from beating him to the conclusion.

Honestly, why do people think that's a badass nickname? It's not. It sounds like something a twelve year-old thinks is a cool nickname in Call of Duty and is now trying to get all of his friends to call him "Iceman".
I don't know why people think it's cool. He got the nickname "the iceman" because he would freeze his victims bodies for long periods of time before he would dump the body to throw off the time of death.

Last edited:
The 100: Season 1 and 2. If you like Fallout games, you will most likely enjoy this show. There are a lot of similarities.
In terms of setting, maybe. But thematically, there is an enormous gulf between the two and I don't think that they are really comparable. The 100 is based on a series of novels aimed squarely at teenagers, and is in the same company as the likes of The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Maze Runner and The Giver. None of these titles do anything extraordinary, since the underlying message is exactly the same: that a single individual can consciously impose great change upon the world without conforming to society's demands or compromising their own sense of identity. It's a message that the teenage readership lap up, because it is consistent with their own search for identity as they move towards adulthood. I don't think any of that is remotely present in Fallout.

Been watching Departures on Netflix. Got through season 1, about 1/3 of the way through season 2. Love it. I'm a sucker for good travel documentaries (if you haven't seen Long Way Round & Long Way Down you are missing out). I would recommend Departures as well, plus one of the guys in it is pretty funny, so there's a bit of humor thrown in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departures_(TV_series)
http://www.departuresentertainment.com/about.html

Departures-Binge-worthy-shows.png

I just finished watching "We Need to Talk About Kevin" on Netlix. It's a very good movie, but it's very disturbing at the same time. It has very good acting and is shot very well. The soundtrack is great, they play songs and music that seem strange for scenes, but somehow fits. It's basically about a very sick and twisted little boy. Definitely not a date movie. 8/10

Starting DareDevil Season 1. Pretty good so far. Up to Ep.4.

Watched every season of Luther. Clever series to the end. Gritty first Episode and then watch it taper after each year. Almost began transitioning into The Bill at one episode. Entertaining though.

Sons of Anarchy I just finished season 3. Absolutely epic ending to that season. This show really is way better than I imagined. Started Season 4.

I just finished watching "Journey to Le Mans". It follows the British Lmp2 Jota #38 Zytek team in the WEC and European Le Mans Series in 2014. It has some great cinematic scenes of them racing at Silverstone, Spa, Imola, and of course Le Mans. It gives a good behind the scenes account of all the hard work and hardships that goes into an endurance team, along with the rewards. It's 1 hour and 30 minutes, and to me it could of been a bit shorter. The last 40 minutes is all on Le Mans week and is great, it just was a little slow at the beginning of the documentary. There are a few too many slow motion dramatic shots that I thought didn't need to be included. All in all its a pretty good watch for racing fans though. 7/10

I'm into season 2 of Broadchurch and enjoying it.

One question though, does the BBC only have access to like 50 actors?

...Just watched the pre-air pilot for Lucifer, and loved it. It's really, really different from the Neil Gaiman source material, but it's now my most anticipated new shows of 2016.

Tom Ellis is just perfect in his role, smarmy, charming and just a bit dangerous; and even though it feels like a trad procedural, I can't tell how it's going to pan out story wise. I'm really looking forward to this show.

...A day off today and I grabbed an episode of Bosch off Amazon. First episode, first season.

It's very good, slow burn, minimal BGM, solid performances all round. I think I'll watch the second episode, see where this dark and gritty cop show will take me.

Back