What changes have you noticed since the update (08/01/08)?

• Thread starter Threshold
  • 422 comments
I think it's a pretty solid update. Only real problems as far as I'm concered are misshifts for the G25 (which takes som getting used to) and some of the other cars being too loud. Sometimes I just can't hear what kind of revs I'm doing, resulting in me having to look at the meter. And it's not really that the other cars are too loud, it's that your own engine-sound is decresed when your're right behind someone.

I have not notice that.. I only play one RACE offline. Did not pay attention to taht detail. I must try it on. By the way do you have a surround system? or a 2 way?

2 way but I don't think that would in any way cause this. The problem was especially apparent when behind the tuned Renault Clio or tuned Evo X.

Im using headphones +5.1 decoder.When im on leftside somebodys car,I dont hear at all that car,it was ok before?And the hole mix off sounds are distance,not presence.Was better for me before.

Im using headphones +5.1 decoder.When im on leftside somebodys car,I dont hear at all that car,it was ok before?And the hole mix off sounds are distance,not presence.Was better for me before.

I have the same setup. Did you go to options and reset your sound output? I haven't raced against others yet, only TT, but before, especially at a standing start, the other car sounds were pretty distinct. The Blitz sounded amazing. Hope this hasn't changed.

The front end of my black Z06/tuned viewed from the dash appears to be green at Fuji F. Green!!! :yuck:

91hondawagon
I really enjoy the new physics; the only downside is that bad drivers are able to keep up with the good ones more easily. Aside from this and an issue with the single mode, I am very satisfied with the new improvements.

unv412
how does this make sense? Physics should NOT compensate bad driving so as to penalise the GOOD drivers.This update gives me a bad feeling .....

I think this might be due to the physics being updated.
What I mean is, the good drivers haven't really had time to adjust to the update yet. Once everyone gets used to the physics, there will probably be just as much of a gap between the "good drivers" and, well, everyone else as there was before the update. We shall have to wait and see...

Hubbe
And it's not really that the other cars are too loud, it's that your own engine-sound is decresed when your're right behind someone.

This sounds like the compression effect that has been mentioned already; have you tried any of the other audio settings? (There are three, "big screen" or "cinema" or whatever it is has the least / zero compression, apparantly.)

And as for supper being the meal after lunch, well; only if you skip dinner!

Last edited:
i've also noticed that the Blitz Skyline is one of the best sounding cars in the game. that turbo spool is unreal!

Too bad it's useless at what it is made to do! I just tried drifting with it, as I do once in a while, and it's utter cr*p! You're not allowed to shift gears because the wheels are spinning? You actually have to let the revs drop and the wheels stop spinning before you can shift and then the turbo pressure is gone and your drift is officially over. What kind of **** is that? The whole point of having a humonguous turbo is to keep it charged at all times, at least when drifting! Anyone, go ahead and try. Stand still, let it rip in first and try to shift into 2nd gear. It wont let you no matter how far away your foot is off the gas pedal. This goes for 2nd to 3rd also. Haven't tried the rest.

I just raced a 10 lap single race with the NSX '02 and I only misshifted a couple of times, so I'm getting used to the fact that I have to go completely off the gas. But why the blue moon include this new nifty feature in drift mode? What's the point? What?!

Last edited:
Not tried the update yet - downloading as I type...

About quitting online races. My brother and I like to race online together. The only way we can do this is to agree to an exact time to hit start (going by the menu clock) and hope we get matched in the same race. Most of the time it works but the times when we get seperated, I quit the race at the start. If I happen to be hosting (which I did a lot previously as I had a fast connection), I would see out the race.

Had a weird problem the other week online. I'm now on a slow 512K connection and I was continually made the host of 12 (ish) player races. My connection couldn't handle the action and at the start of the race I'd see every other player drop out one by one until it was only myself left. I'd then quit, get matched up again and be made host once more! Same happened; others all dropped out. After about 8 rematches, finally someone else was designated host!

I'd like to know why I'm being made host when someone else must have a more capable connection than my 512K. It makes me look like a quitter and an idiot. I have never quit a race due to position (at the start or throughout). Surely the matching process finds a player with the best connection to host...? Seemed to work before when I was on a Uni network as that was extremely fast and I was always made host.

I'd like to know why I'm being made host when someone else must have a more capable connection than my 512K. It makes me look like a quitter and an idiot. I have never quit a race due to position (at the start or throughout). Surely the matching process finds a player with the best connection to host...? Seemed to work before when I was on a Uni network as that was extremely fast and I was always made host.

I think there is a 'host ranking' that each person has which is calculated by how successful you are as a host, the higher it is the more likely you'll be host.

I'm in the same situation at the moment

Am I the only one, or has anyone else seen flames from their exhaust?
Today I was on Fuji doing a time trial with the Mine's R34, and my ghost replay was in front, when I noticed a flame exit the exhaust.

Maybe it was a graphical glitch, or I saw something different, but it sure looked like it.

Today I was on Fuji doing a time trial with the Mine's R34, and my ghost replay was in front, when I noticed a flame exit the exhaust.

I have never seen it in GT5P or heard about anyone else seeing it, I expect it in full GT5 though. A small detail I miss from GT4.

I'm a bit disappointed with the update.

I'm sure some people here are exaggerating the improvements to the engine sounds. I have tried Living Room and Small Theatre settings. I have the sound going through my PC's creative sound system which is a sub and two speakers so the volume and oomph are fairly decent. Didn't think there was much of an improvement, if at all really. The R8 still sounds like a lawnmover, the GT40 sounds like a V6 at best, the Corvette is ok but hardly the thunderous V8 it should be. I noticed the extra turbo whoosing sounds with the Blitz Skyline and that the exhaust note of cars are slightly louder when the car is viewed from behind (by camera or when close to an opponent).

The online penalties are still poor. On the HSR, I was cleanly faster than a guy in front when exiting the last corner and as I overtook I was rammed sideways in to the barrier. I got a penalty and he carried on ahead unpenalised. Also had an incident where I was drafting an opponent on the straight and he tapped his brakes (with not a corner or opponent in sight). He got a speed boost and I got a collision penalty. What the hell? These two incidents happened in the first two races I tried online, one on expert and one on intermediate. Is it really that hard to code an improved penalty system? Surely, for the second case (braking on a trailing opponent) it should be easy to check if the braking was required i.e. is there a corner or opponent ahead? if not, and a collision results, penalise the person braking. Seems crazy. The code is already there to judge the racing line braking points (i.e. assessing when the driver needs / should be braking) and that works well.

GTTV is nice but I cannot download the vids on my connection. My problem, I know. I don't like how epsisodes expire after 14 days. Fair enough for the televised material like Top Gear but surely the Polyphony Digital made stuff should stay?

I finally got back to my beloved PS3 today and was able to get the update. As the rush is over by now, it downloaded without fault in a few minutes, no problem whatsoever.

I redid my options first, making sure everything is set alright. Then, I got myself a few 0-62 mph figures of cars that are in the game to find out if, as many people say, the new tire physics are made too grippy. So far, I have only performed a few tests with the Ford GT, but to be honest, I don't see what you guys are on about.

I remembered what somebody posted here about which tire would be which in real life. The worst normal tire obviously is some cheapo standard rubber from the rummage table, while the best N tires would be high quality tires from a well known brand. The worst S tires would be the first sports models, something you would equip your car with knowing that you trade wet performance for some dry grip. The best S models would be semi-slicks for that matter, just below the full racing slicks. Those are found in the R range, obviously.

So what do cars like the Ford GT come with? In real life, it comes on "Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar" tires, which are somewhere between the worst S and the best N tire in the game. So, I got into the car and gave the worst S compount a hand-timed 0-62 run on the Daytona straight. I was presented with a 0-62 time of 3.7 seconds, which is somewhere between the optimistic US-figure of 3.3 (also 0-60 mph) and the pessimistic European figure of 3.9 seconds (both according to Wikipedia).

Sounds alright then, so let's give them a go on Suzuka. And what shall I say? I was easily able to break traction in 1st gear in every situation. And in 2nd and 3rd, stomping on the accelerator while being on the edge resulted in the back of my GT stepping out. Overall, the grip felt like I would expect it in the real car.

Therefore I must raise the question: how is this less realistic than before? I'd say it's pretty much on the spot now.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed is that I'm just as fast on R2 tires than R3 tires and just a little slower on R1 tires—Fuji 750 Free run. That makes sense to me since tire choice will be up to driver habilities / likes not just use R3 tires on every occasion because before the update they had the edge and were the fastest no matter what. I think also that the races will be more open in terms of tires choice, before almost all used R3 tires when they had the chance. Anyway that is something I noticed from just a couple of laps. Can anyone corroborate?

I think you've nailed it! I'm okay with grippy R3 tires as long as they wear out faster than the less grippy tires. That is what will make tire selection and more laps a great dimension to the game. What's your time to do 10 laps on R3 tires vs R1 tires taking into account tire wear? Maybe it's faster on R1...

One of the biggest changes regarding penalties/collisions is that when you drive through a transparant car which becomes solid again you don't get sent off in the grass as much as before the update. The transition is more smoothly. Sorry, it's hard to explain.

I finally got back to my beloved PS3 today and was able to get the update. As the rush is over by now, it downloaded without fault in a few minutes, no problem whatsoever.

I redid my options first, making sure everything is set alright. Then, I got myself a few 0-62 mph figures of cars that are in the game to find out if, as many people say, the new tire physics is made too grippy. So far, I have only performed a few tests with the Ford GT, but to be honest, I don't see what you guys are on about.

I remembered what somebody posted here about which tire would be which in real life. The worst normal tire obviously is some cheapo standard rubber from the rummage table, while the best N tires would be a high quality tires from a well known brand. The worst S tire would be the first sports models, something you would equip your car with, knowing that you trade wet performance for some dry grip. The best S model would be semi-slicks for that matter, just below the full racing slicks. Those are found in the R range, obviously.

So what do cars like the Ford GT come with? In real life, it comes on "Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar" tires, which are somewhere between the worst S and the best N tire in the game. So, I got into the car and gave the worst S compount a hand-timed 0-62 run on the Daytona straight. I was presented with a 0-62 time of 3.7 seconds, which is somewhere between the optimistic US-figure of 3.3 (also 0-60 mph) and the pessimistic European figure of 3.9 seconds (both according to Wikipedia).

Sounds alright then, so let's give them a go on Suzuka. And what shall I say? I was easily able to break traction in 1st gear in every situation. And in 2nd and 3rd, stomping on the accelerator while being on the edge resulted in the back of my GT stepping out. Overall, the grip felt like I would expect it in the real car.

Therefore I must raise the question: how is this less realistic than before? I'd say it's pretty much on the spot now.

You nailed it.

The problem is that people are still using the same tires as pre-update and are saying it's too easy.

Hope into a GT with N3-S1 tires and you'll definately feel the car.

You nailed it.

The problem is that people are still using the same tires as pre-update and are saying it's too easy.

Hope into a GT with N3-S1 tires and you'll definately feel the car.

Yes, the Interceptor nailed it :) +++ 👍
Your point is good, too :)
What I noticed is the chase view has changed, it looks better and sounds better, in fact its awesome 👍
I just can't drive with it:ouch:

Last edited:
So, I personally don't see any problems if KY decided to edit an R-rated movie to PG-13, just so he can sell more tickets. After all, they are in it for the money. Right?

However, I used to think of KY as a no compromise artist that wants to bring his unfiltered vision to his fans; instead of another money printing driod that would simply play to the crowd. Simply taking features away and dump things down is a pathetic way to level the playing field, IMO. Seriously, PD should stop using the "real driving simulator" slogan and stop misdirecting consumers.

There are many reasons that the G25 features got progressively scaled back, and it is not because of all the cry babies who "think" the G25 have an "advantage". In reality there are no "cheaper" way to drive well in this game than using a joypad. If you can do an opposite lock in 0.1 of a second, I wouldn't even hesitate to call that cheating; that is if in fact this is really supposed to be a "real driving simulator".

IMO, the main reason that they kept nerfing the G25 is because they don't get a cut of the G25 sales, but they do get a cut from DFGT sales. Making it not fun to use the G25 would be a great way to boost DFGT sales, and while the G25 will still unofficially support by the game (for the pure reason so they don't piss Logicool off), don't expect to see a truly fully functional "G25" type gaming wheel until probably PD decided to license an officially clutch wheel for the final game.

This is exactly why PC race sims will NEVER die, because of their "can't drive our hardcore sim? then GFY" attitude.

Last edited:
@ Rocket Punch
Ok i see where you coming from(about G25), but: 1st The Real Racing Simulator as slogan has ever since been misleading and quite questionable ... you can't even flip your car upside down on the roof, no skidmarks, no damage ?? ,etc.
2nd : most people like GT because its not a pcish sim, so it better stay this way .
3rd: If GTR/2 are sims, they are way too easy(have too much grip) and absolutely no fun(boring, are all the same imo), so again please let GT be what is and don't turn it into a PC sim...
PD knowing that for sure, but it seems some don't see this :)

Last edited:
I finally got....

snipped....

Just my feelings as well. Me being a PC simhead. But I use a DFP the "real" GT4 wheel. And I don't really feel any worse and before the update. But Rocketpunch could be right somehow. The G25 is a superior wheel even without the clutch. I tested it several times and it is on my wish list. So I hope that PD will support the more expensive wheels and even separate pedals like the speed 7 for those who like. It's all about immersion.

Can someone answer me this....after downloading the new update it showed the jaguar vid with your current car in the background. I turned off my ps3 and returned later to get the full update experience and it showed it just as before. Today I turned it on and its not anywhere...was that a temporary thing??? where or how do I turn it back on?

...because IMO that was a very cool intro. darn.

Can someone answer me this....after downloading the new update it showed the jaguar vid with your current car in the background. I turned off my ps3 and returned later to get the full update experience and it showed it just as before. Today I turned it on and its not anywhere...was that a temporary thing??? where or how do I turn it back on?

...because IMO that was a very cool intro. darn.

Mine is still there.

Back