What changes have you noticed since the update (08/01/08)?

• Thread starter Threshold
  • 422 comments
Not sure if this has been mentioned, and im not reading through almost 300 posts to find out....

I just took my Mine's Skyline around Suzuka with professional physics, the AI set to level 86 and all aids, etc turned off.

Usually I can get to the front within 2 or 3 laps, however this time the front 2 cars just kept getting further & further away, best I could do was 3rd.

So has the AI got better, or have I just got worse???

The physics has changed in the game for more realism to sum it up.

This list was released a while back, see if everything made it (excuse me if it's already been posted):

Improvement in Download Speed

• Improvements in download speeds for online updates and content

Gran Turismo TV

• Start of PPV (Pay Per View) service
  • It is now possible to fast forward, rewind, or move between chapters when viewing video content.
  • It is possible now to have up to 8 simultaneous background downloads running at the same time.
  • Individual downloads can now be paused or resumed.

Distribution of Expansion Data

• Instant distribution feature of My Page backgrounds added

Race

• Improvements in penalty judgments
  • Improved physics during collisions between cars in Online races.

Time Trial

• The tire selection in Arcade time trials changed from “S2” fixed, to “N1-S2”

Ranking

• It is now possible to display top lap times in all courses in a list.
  • Improvements in the user interface

Common Vehicle Physics

• Improved controllability when using S1-S3, and R1-R3 tires.
  • Changed calculation rules for performance points.

Option

• Added [Standard Definition (SD) Display Size] in [Display Settings]
  • Moved the [Temperature] unit setting from [Network] to [Units]
  • Added Expansion Data settings and Advanced Download Option settings in [Network]

Sound

• 6 BGM tracks added
  • Online race network specifications changed
  • Added port 5658 to the ports used in Online races.

Other

• Players matched in Online races now added to the [Friends] → [Players Met] menu within Playstation 3.
  • The time and score from replays of time trials, drift trials, and distributed demo replays are now displayed after their replay. For distributed demo’s, the Online ID is also displayed here.
  • Manual updated

Usually I can get to the front within 2 or 3 laps, however this time the front 2 cars just kept getting further & further away, best I could do was 3rd.

People reported the the AI got better by quite a margin.

I like this update, well the update to the game engine anyway. And in the racing I was doing last night the penalties seem much improved also. And they have finally put a stop to the quitters which is awesome and long overdue. To those who complain they cant quit anymore, boo hoo. Quitting because you were losing is not somthing you should have been doing in the first place.

I just wish now they would focus on giving us good online options. One race is an oval (whats the point?), one is a lag fest, the only option is HSR and it gets boring after a while.

I like this update, well the update to the game engine anyway. And in the racing I was doing last night the penalties seem much improved also. And they have finally put a stop to the quitters which is awesome and long overdue. To those who complain they cant quit anymore, boo hoo. Quitting because you were losing is not somthing you should have been doing in the first place.

I just wish now they would focus on giving us good online options. One race is an oval (whats the point?), one is a lag fest, the only option is HSR and it gets boring after a while.

Agreed, I didn't like the new events at all on this update. The technical courses are left out for the lower difficulty setting while the simple tracks like HSR and Daytona Oval are left for the Expert level. I tried playing Suzuka on intermediate and it was more chaotic than Suzuka on beginners level ironically.

I can't say about the penalty system though, I tend to see more people get away with taking shortcuts and take hold of places without getting penalized. Or is it just me?

The main difference I've noticed is the complete loss of my saved data. Do I really have to start from scratch every time a major update takes place?

The update completed with out a hitch. Then I started the game. Low and behold, I have 35k, no cars, and no events completed. Better sounds and physics are great, but this seems pretty harsh.

;)

I don't really want to read through all these pages, so maybe someone can answer this. Did the hazard lights thing in multiplayer ever get confirmed?

Did the hazard lights thing in multiplayer ever get confirmed?
Never heard from it again. There was another rumor some time ago about a BMW M3 flashing his high beams at someone. I never saw that confirmed either. Maybe they were PD empolyees running a more sophisticated version of the game!?

Huh, I know a member yesterday swore they saw a car flip hazard lights on after ramming them. I figured it would have either been proven true or bs by someone by now.

Don't forget the horn rumour.

The main difference I've noticed is the complete loss of my saved data. Do I really have to start from scratch every time a major update takes place?

The update completed with out a hitch. Then I started the game. Low and behold, I have 35k, no cars, and no events completed. Better sounds and physics are great, but this seems pretty harsh.

;)

Wow thats bad, I didn't lose anything (except ranking info), even my old replays still work.

;)

Now that is unlucky, I feel your pain!

Wow thats bad, I didn't lose anything (except ranking info), even my old replays still work.

Wait, so this didn't happen to everyone?

I've never had any problems in the past. This is a major blow.

All races completed. A huge garage of cars (including Ferrari F1 car!!!), and over 1.6 mil in the bank.......... All gone. This is a hard pill to swallow.

Anyone else lose data when they performed the update?

;)

I lost nothing, am really sorry to hear that. :(.

I had backed up my save just in case but was not needed.

You can have a copy if you like.

Wait, so this didn't happen to everyone?

I've never had any problems in the past. This is a major blow.

All races completed. A huge garage of cars (including Ferrari F1 car!!!), and over 1.6 mil in the bank.......... All gone. This is a hard pill to swallow.

Anyone else lose data when they performed the update?

;)

I'm sorry to hear of your terrible misfortune. All my cars and money remained intact after the update. Perhaps rebuilding your garage will spark that new-again feeling and give you something to work for while honing your skills. Bright side? :P lol

You can always grab one of the 100% done saves. But that would be no fun at all.

Last edited:
I just played a few rounds in the world race Fuji 750pp online event. What I noticed from this update are

1. Improved engine sounds. The BOV sound is more distinct and when creeping up to the back bumper of the car in front of you, you really begin to hear the sound of their exhaust note. Side by side racing sounds have improved a lot. Nice update for sound.

2. Online racing in the world event was lots of fun. The effect of the rubbing and bumping have lessen. You can get away with a little rub some paint here and there and not go sliding off like before. Keeps the racing battle spirit alive during tight races. It was a nice change to race GB, JP, NL accounts. Hope to run into more international racers.
Disconnects : none

3. No more power shifting in the G25 wheel. You now have to be very precise when executing quick shifts while you try to minimize your rev drops. A bit more work involved, but it's part of the agreement to enable clutch and use it. :)

4. Physics improved. Tires feel better and have a better sense of when the tires will grab or break loose.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, and im not reading through almost 300 posts to find out....

I just took my Mine's Skyline around Suzuka with professional physics, the AI set to level 86 and all aids, etc turned off.

LoL i told you they tweaked the ai.... there not push overs any more..they will fight back:nervous: and acauly i noticed somthing else they dont take the same line each lap any more.... like for instance when this 350z would spin out on the first turn at suzuka.. on the 2nd lap he breaked and took inside lane.....WOW I am impressed with the AI now....

To those who complain they cant quit anymore, boo hoo. Quitting because you were losing is not somthing you should have been doing in the first place.

Yeah, if I'm really far behind, I drive in reverse! :dopey:

From,
Chris.

The new AI seems pretty intense ... set to 100 I had cars flying by on the left and right going into almost every braking zone at Suzuka!

yes i noticed the new AI is alot better, i was in a race on Fuji Speedway and as i tried to go past an F430 it tried to defend the line and made it quite difficult to overtake and once i had overtaken it the F430 got into my slipstream and tried to get the position back.
i think its alot better than before the update because the AI are alot more competitive which makes a race a challange.

At first I find the grippier feel to every vehicle to be rather dissapointing but at the same time when I found the Ford GT to be driveable, that to me is a welcome improvement. Then it occur to me, that if and when the Nordschleife is available in GT5P, it would be anythng but impossible to drive and complete the track in most vehicle in Prologue except for the AWD vehicles. Just imagine driving the impossible to control Ford GT, the Ferrari F40, the Viper or the Z06 through the narrow track and negotiating the 172 corners. I would say the failure rate (to complete a lap) would be in the 90% rate. Right now no tracks in GT5P even approach the Nordschleife.

Last edited:
I like the majority of the changes, but I hate that the gearbox goes mental if you don't let the gas go completely when shifting. That's not realistic, not fair, and completely unnescessary (sp?) Very rarely did I powershift with full throttle, but nearly NEVER did I completely let off the gas when shifting up. There's no reason to, and now I misshift 50% of the time because of this.

If "powershifting" earns you a couple of milliseconds extra in TT, what stops you from doing it in real life? I assume the clutch is replaced after each race. Until we have to pay for replacing it, that is. I suggest; remove this new feature when on 50% gas or less.

Noticed a few things:

1. New intro screen and background
2. All settings reset to default!!!
3. I lost my custom tunes :(
4. Turbo BOV sounds amazing!

I've only driven a few cars so far but I can feel a total difference. With the down force set to higher settings you can actually feel the front and back pushing the car down on sharp turns. the tires seem to grip the road a lot better which reduces the tailspin or random movements. when you drive near the back of other cars you can hear their exhaust note. the Honda Integra type R engine sound seems to be less loud now while the Amuse S2000 has that deeper VTEC sound. somehow the graphics look a bit cleaner and everything seems more sharp.

Quick things I noticed on my first play through of the new update (North America):

Credits, car collection, and replays preserved...got a little worried when I saw a warning about losing save data, but my save data carried over. Only lost my quick tune and game settings as expected.

No GT-TV pay per view content...ironic since this update is specifically to introduce the "true beginning" of GT-TV. The content UI is nice...and background downloading works quite well (went ahead an tagged all of the free videos for download that I had previously deleted just to see and made sure to grab the GT-R Another Story video). Advanced downloading is a neat option (using peer-to-peer connections from those who have already downloaded content)...too bad the news says it won't be enabled until a future PS3 system update. I don't like the fact you have to scroll through the playback UI at all (should have matched the PS3's standard video playback controls and button mappings).

New real-time intro that first focuses closely on Jaguar XK before racking focus to the car that is currently the one in your garage is a nice touch. I like the industrial setting with the wet reflective floor.

Way easier to drive the Ford GT LM Spec II in pro physics...can feel the rubber stick even with S tires, meaning I can easily maintain control of it with the DualShock 3 / SIXAXIS controller with no problem. Seems to be true of the NSX-R, F430 (probably all mid-engine cars) too, even when tuned for max horsepower. I had practically given up on playing pro physics when I don't have access to my wheel, so this is somewhat welcome news. I also had resigned to leaving TCS at 1 before the update, so I am happy I can turn it off and still keep my cars on the road. Can't say that physics have been dumbed down until I've had a go with my Driving Force GT, but knowing I can select S tires certainly gives me more tuning options when balancing the performance points (I didn't bother copying any of my old settings down since I figure I would want to tweak them again anyway).

Some of the cars definitely sound throatier and tire screeching is way diminished...at least when listening through TV speakers at work. I also think opponent cars (especially the tuned ones) are a lot louder from in cockpit than before. I have not yet had a chance to check it out on my 5.1 sound system at home and haven't really noticed the BOV sounds yet.

Even though I have my temperature setting to Fahrenheit, the NSX's AC is still set to 18 degrees! Brrrrrrrr.

Car and game settings now appear to be saved with your save game. I quick tuned a few cars, changed controller buttons, demo, and audio settings at work...and those settings carried over to my PS3 at home.

Can't find any new cars or tracks.

There's at least one new menu music tune. Can't say if they added tunes in game since I turn music off.

I have been disconnected from the server for at least two online races, once at the start, once on the final lap (all opponent cars pulled off the track just before I got disconnected). When I checked to see if I could quit while hosting, a message pops up saying you can't quit from online races...so I guess people are completely exiting the game to the XMB to quit. PD needs to implement server migration so that races can continue when the host quits...I hate losing progress.

I far prefer playing online in the worldwide events, so I stick to them pretty much 100% of the time now...little lag and lots of competitors. Have regional events improved?

Penalties are more strictly enforced for barrier impacts, but not sure if I've noticed an improvement in penalties for ramming or collisions (I have noticed that more people are ghosting before hitting me now). Short cut penalties seem about the same as before.

AI is more intense? I haven't tried any single player events since the update...I'll have to check this out!

Last edited:
when you drive near the back of other cars you can hear their exhaust note.

I was in the middle of a pack earlier and the sounds of the cars around me were ace, haven't had a chance to test it with surround sound yet ( after the F1 I will ) but I know it will blow me away when I pump up the volume.

I also noticed that not every name is added to the players met list, I got pushed well off track by a tagged member and was going to joke with him about it, but his name wasn't there and I couldn't remember his full id.

Back