What changes have you noticed since the update (08/01/08)?

• Thread starter Threshold
  • 422 comments
I noticed the infamous A-3 liscense gold target times has changed. Now the target is 1"12.500 instead of 1'13.000.

I have just raced for about 3 hours on HSR WE with a F430 and has made the following observations:

Tiregrip is adjusted to my liking, on par with rF, GTR2, RACE07, LFS.
One big thing is the little function "People I have played with" (Don't know if thats the correct wording or if its players I have met.) Now its easy to add people. :)
Not all participating drivers seem to be in the list.

I am not so sure about this update, I agree it appears to be dumbed down now but that might just be because S2's are have more grip now. I used to test all my cars on S2's (previous TT restricted tyres) but now I think I might have to drive them around on the recommended realistic tyres in the manual.

No more Powershifting is disapointing, I can understand they would remove it for TT and online races but I wish it was still available in drift, offline events and single races. Also I wish there was a free unranked lap option which I could just fool around on any track, any tune, any car, anyway I like (with powershifting)

Another thing I noticed is quick tune options like ABS and brake bias have been blacked out in time trials, how am I supposed to test my cars without ABS now (cars that dont have ABS in real life)? Seriously GT needs a free lapping option badly.

Another thing I have noticed that I havent seen mentioned yet now even when the dashboard is fully shadowed I can still see the dials in all the cars I have driven so far, still dark but atleast the are not just all blacked out like some of the cars used to be when shadowed.

the sounds are so much better!! the cars idle so much better IMO, i was racing and the vett passed me it was so loud!!! i was like :scared: it shocked me if anyone has surround sound do me a favor turn it up!!!! And have fun!!!

Yeah taking out powershifting is BS they had no right honestly they had no right to touch my physics they make you update the game and that is BS.

I just hope enough of us complain to where they bring back power shifting, I said it before and I will say it again we dont have an advantage and I dont know what people are bitching about because all that time we get over them they will make it back up with down shifting because its so much slower and harder to downshift with the G25 then with the controller or other wheels.

So maybe when damage is in the game they will bring back power shifting so you can do it but its going to mess up your clutch and the transmission.

Thanks for hurting my experience to please others poly good for you.

So maybe when damage is in the game they will bring back power shifting so you can do it but its going to mess up your clutch and the transmission.

I sure hope so.

Another thing about powershifting, and this is specially true in online racing when you can't just restart is so many complain about it that you get some magic advantage but in a race you just once miss a gear (which is easy to do for numerous reasons) and there goes all the slight advantace you had got then them some in one instance! Not to mention the much great workload you have especially balancing the car on corner entry with heel-toeing downshifting (though you get used to it with time).

I personally know drivers who have G25's but don't use the 'advantage' during races (not just GT5P but other sims like GT legends) because the margin for error is much higher.

Keep in mind I am not including time trails in this because the clear advantage is if you miss the gear then just restart the lap.

I know we have all said about improved engine noises, but the R8 got the biggest benefit from this. The old R8 sounded notchy (the revs never increased smoothly, they used to just reach little level by little level if you understand), but now it is smooth increases in RPM all the way.:)

every time i drive a gtr now, its sounds like im looking at a video, the down shift is so smooth and life like now. so is the upshift more smoothed out. also in the high rpm it bellows out now instead of sounding flat...like befour.

I really like this update. Downloaded in 30 mins at once (!!!), installed and now game engine is cleaned and much more smooth in fps (i'm in SD res), tyres have the right sound and they even turned "The Real Scaring Simulator" in Pro mode to perfect simulation. No "on ice" feeling of high powered cars, you have now more control and even drift or spin if you like it, but not spinning into sandtraps all the day on 1/5th of gas and rotate in 250 km/h like it was on ice. I knew those nuts who learned the old "on ice" pro simulation the hard way will scream, but I like the new pro mode to the bone. I really love newly discovered delicacy of F599, Ford GT and even NSX-R. They are perfectly nailed and thanks to PD for that! Now I'm really playing. Like the new penalty decisions also, no more penalisation of naturally used little shortcuts and really well punished wall riding. New sounds are more homogenic and believable and I like them too. But still no real colission physics as the cars are still bumping to each other and the track objects the funny way.

Last edited:
Bring Back "No Lift To Shift"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm dying without it. :(
Polyphony KILLED my G25 fun. Now I have to play with the stupid paddles because god forbid you touch the gas when your shifting, everyone knows in real life your car might blow up if you do *rolling eyes* Ruined all my fun.

Well read thru half of the posts and didnt see what I found, so hope im the first and if not my bad....

when you download a video theres a progress bubble on the top right that shows up during races and becomes part of the screen until its done downloading... I saw it when i started to DL GTR Another Story.. at first I thought it wanted me to redo the events again so they can show my progress but after I cancelled the DL it went up to 100% then went away.... heres some pix sorry for the size, first time pic posting.... wont happen again unless its super dope pichureZ

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

Sound with this update is really great !

Handling with the pad has greatly improve !
Now I have to try with my DFP.

I guess the motion blur and the depth field have been improved. I think edges are less pixelated when you zoom on the car. Or maybe a placebo !!!

I tried all the tracks in cockpit with AI, and I didn't notice tearing on corners when lots of cars are on screen ! Constant improvements seem to be made on this side and I won't complain about it !

Advanced download is a great feature ! I'm ready to share 1Mbps !
It's weird that we have to wait for a firmware update because MG4 Online Beta was using a similar download manager...

Anyways, a little update full of surprises !

I noticed something very cool, when driving with automatic transmission the car wil go forward without pressing the acceleration, just like a real automatic car.

I can't remember this was present before the update.

Reading what different people say about this update, I think a proper conclusion still needs a bit of time. changes always seem to be strange if you had just arranged you with the old situation, and many people still are annoyed by the update problems, so they don't see the changes with a clear view. Just give it some time guys, cool down for a bit, and then see what's what. 👍

freaking the AI is deffenently more fearce and agressive....they even punt now, for instance the pack was spread out at suzuka, i was in a evo x. it was 10 out 15 laps. then i see four cars comming up moving fast, next thing i know they were fighting with me....i mean they use to fight but now. its every man, or woman for them selves....and that was just 8th place...a 350z,bmw i35,mazda rx7,nissan skyline 350 coupe...i mean i was impressed they were really going at it.. kudos pd:tup:

just noticed the GTTV is now up with new content folders (but nothing inside them)

The only one that is available is the Ferrari Factory. It says 99cents for the content and it is only viewable for 14days ?!!? :(

It's hard to judge the physics without jumping into the a real life counterpart of the car in question, but IMO all they did was increase tire grip to more realistic levels. N1 is your average all season tires, while N3 is average max performance summer tire. S tires are barely DOT legal tires, and R tires are soft multi-compound slicks. Almost no production car will come with anything greater than N3 equivalent tires. So if you want to judge a production car like the M3 or F430 don't do it on anything greater than N3. This is just my opinion, but I'm also going by the tire descriptions PD used in GT4.

Well put. I've been using the recommended tires from the manual and even then the harder of the two given compounds. Higher powered cars still get out of shape, It's just not like driving on ice any more. I just don't think that these performance cars are meant to feel like that(driving on ice), and that this is a great improvement.
I really like using N3 tires now, they're not the walmart tires that they used to be. Overall this update completely surpassed by expectations. I was however hoping for some real collision physics, but it doesn't look like that happened. Fall update I guess. I don't even want to talk about online racing. I figure things will be sorted out for gt5 year or so from now LOL:)

I thought everyone was been really anal when they said the engine sounds have improved but it really does sound awesome. You know when someone's on your tail for sure. The other thing I've noticed is that a lot more people seem to be spinning on corners. Woo oversteer.

Back