[WHAT HAPPENS?] - Let's face it, why is Polyphony Digital so slow in content production?

• Thread starter BrunusCL82
  • 215 comments
Firstly, I do not want to provoke the fans. Nor to create intrigue. I really want to propose the dialogue.

I wanted to understand that.

Since GT3, the PD presents several arguments for the delay of its games. But in the end, it launches incomplete games.

Maybe, the PD has many advantages over T10 and SMS. Which are they?

- Good relationship with automakers.
- Good relationship with FIA.
- Much prestige and patience from SONY.
- And probably have a much bigger budget than T10 and SMS.

But these softhouses feature games more often and with a lot of content. Much!

I see a lot of fans doing "damage control" even in an irrational way.

Does GTS have great graphics? Yes! However, they are not so superior to Forza 7 or Project Car 2.

In an intent of "damage control", I read fans saying that Project Cars 2 tracks are ugly and poorly crafted.

Honestly, they are not! I saw a video on Sugo, COTA, Basthurt, and they are excellent.

I read fans saying that GT cars are incredibly well crafted.

Right. But F7 or PC2 cars are not made with 16 bits. They are very well made cars.

I see fans talking about GT lighting.

Okay. But the F7 and PC2 lighting is very good. Not like GT, but it's good. But they have rain and dynamic weather.

I see the dynamic climate being implemented in Forza 7 and PC2 in a very well worked out way. Very beautiful.

And why GTS, even with five or four years of production, has such a weak content game?

F7 and PC2 do not have the production time as GTS had. But they delivers a vast cast of cars and tracks.

And another advantage is that PD works for one platform only.

While SMS and T10 work for two or more platforms such as PC, Xbox and PS4.

All this is normal? It's definitely not because of the advantages that PD has in comparison to other softhouses.

Does Kaz have difficulty delegating roles and tasks to others?

Does PD have tools and outdated technology?

The PD has few employees?

The PD is a softhouse with little money. T10 and SMS are richer and have more employees?

What really happens?

I do not adapt to the gameplay of F7 and PC2. I do not know what it is. I love the gameplay of the GT franchise. I really wanted the GT franchise to produce content like F7 and PC2.
Before asking these questions and posting your topic, did you do any research or even just googling to find some answers?

Ah yes, the same thread that shows up in every game, regardless of region, company size, or genre. So, maybe it's not just Polyphony that's not meeting the arbitrary production goals the community sets?
Other developers have produced more content in less time than PD, so how can they be behind schedule? And I haven't seen any thread regarding this issue in other games.

It's a discussion forum, so we encourage members to start and engage in discussions.

As such please don't try an tell members not to do so.

So what about this then?:

understand that.

You still do not understand.

Do you want me to respond? it is necessary?

You also do not understand.

It sounds like if we don't agree with this thread, we don't understand, we are GT S fanatics or angry:

I see someone very angry.

Why, man?

for me the fanaticism you show you doing as a reverend and telling people what they have to think and what they should like. I play all three, assetto, PC2 and GTS. Everyone has their points, and already! (pleasures).

I don't know if this reply was for me but it was posted after i posted this:

And i will rather wait for new content and play a playable game than be waiting for a patch to make a game playable, the AI in PC 2 was not great when PC 2 was released and have to wait for patching in a brand new game is not fun.

So i find it a bit odd when @Sander 001 asked if @BrunusCL82 had done any research himself or just found it in a google search would be that bad and @Sander 001 didn't tell him to do anyting.

But i'm done with this discussing anyway, because it seems that this is just a whining thread where other opinions isn't welcome.

Last edited:
Maybe they want to make sure the content released is as good as possible?

In previous GTP articles Kaz were saying they have Deep Forest raceway track currently in development. I suspect it is a port from PS3 version but due to different software/tools the straight data import is not working as expected so they have to do a lot of retouches. Well, this is just a 1 content (track). Not sure about the cars but I believe they are in works to port other GT5/6 premium cars/new cars to GT Sport.

The best solution is you to apply at PD: http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/english/

The best solution is you to apply at PD: http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/english/

Like any of us bums can afford to travel to Japan. How absurd.

Real solution is to be kind and hope for the best. Maybe play another simulator to satisfy the needs and or wants.
Or just take whatever extra money you can afford to save and work on a real project car.
So you can take it to real tracks to get the best experience of a real driving simulator, in real life, where 4K graphics and force feedback are frivolous.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. You don't need to be able to model vehicles or tracks to notice a slow production rate, the same as you not needing to know how to govern before you vote.

Good to see them advertising for positions but I also note that they're not advertising for managerial positions on their website. Maybe that is a cultural thing but I wouldn't be looking at the designers when they've had significant delays on every release since 2004. That is a management issue.

Edit: Since we are proposing solutions I would be redirecting all staff working on scapes to tracks, or vehicles if they overlap. I would also look at hiring business process experts or team leads from other established game developers. There are a few areas like AI that could do with PD scalping someone from a competitor.

Last edited:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. You don't need to be able to model vehicles or tracks to notice a slow production rate, the same as you not needing to know how to govern before you vote.

Sorry what I mean is if OP can do track/car modeling/know how to deliver content then OP (or someone else here) can help PD by applying a position. Pipeline Tool Development Engineer is the closest position for this.

But well there is a previous post were saying we all bums and not possible to apply there, lol.

I think his post was fine. You do this a lot Scaff and sometimes I think you need to step off the horse. Calm down dude.
Telling people to do some research on Google and through the search function before they post creates an environment that isn't welcoming to people who wish to encourage discussion. The FAQ of GTP specifically addresses this:
It has long been popular on Internet discussion boards to ridicule or embarrass users who may ask questions that could have easily been answered by searching the web or the forums. Indeed, many questions can be answered this way, and indeed, many users could make better use of the tools available to them. However, that is no reason to treat them with disrespect, as there is a wide and legitimate range of experience among users on the Internet. If you see someone on GTPlanet asking what you believe to be a trivial question, suggest keywords or links or simply ignore their questions altogether. Do not harass them.
The inference is clearly towards being helpful with actual information rather than a dismissive response that discourages posters from making threads. The answer is always the same. If you think there's an issue with the OP in any way hit the report button. Calling out the OP and engaging in subtle harassment isn't our job and discourages others from posting and making threads, especially those who don't use english as their first language I'd imagine.

A bold design, yes. A car that very few would ever want to use other than in races where it is dictated that you have to......why?

For what it's worth I think they shouldve kept the group 3 and group 4 variants of the Atenza, however ditch the base model and save themselves modelling time spent with the interior.

I will give my 2 cents on the topic:

Everything regarding production of content was fine in the PSOne/PS2 era. Then the PS3 came and with it, the problems, as Kaz already explained. In that era they were able to produce about 40 cars per year (GT5 came 5 years after GT4, with 200 new cars; GT6 came 3 years after, with 120 new cars).

When the PS4 was announced, Kaz said it was like a "blank canvas", meaning it was much easier to use than the PS3. But GT Sport came out with the same production rate: 4 years later, with 160 new cars. So if the problem wasn't in the hardware, where could it be? I think that 3 things could have made production slower than expected: optimization, consistency and Scapes.

Optimization is about framerate and resolution, 2 things that were problematic in the PS3 era and were solved with the new game.

What I mean with consistency is that not all cars and tracks had the same level of detail in the PS3. There were standard and premium cars; there were premium cars with interior and without interior (although we still have it); there were cars with tesselation in some parts, some more than others, some without any tesselation at all; there were tracks with dynamic time or weather, or both, or none; there were tracks more detailed than others. I think that Kaz wasn't happy with it and made sure that every track and car in the new game had the same level of detail, and that took time on the production.

I think Scapes were a priority. And I also think they have taken a lot of time. After all there are more than a thousand different photos with lots of information about lighting, reflection etc.

These 3 items must've been the responsible for all of those problems regarding game content. Now that the game is optimized, they've reached the consistency they wanted and the Scapes are finished, I think things will come back to normal. That's why we have 50 cars promised until March, which is a production rate much faster than before.

I'm actually impressed how fast PDI work. I wouldn't be surprised if they are right up there in the industry in terms of development efficiency. I think it will be tough for some of the others to catch up unless there are major advancements in capture technology.

Exciting times ahead, the next 20 years might be one of the major defining periods for the automobile and also computing technology even for many centuries later, the progress by the end of next decade looks like it already will be substantial.

Next-generation consoles hopefully release before the end of this decade, home and handheld look like to me will be a more enjoyable one compared to the last two IMO. PSP, PS Vita, PS3 and PS4 era needed developers to compromise too much which had quite a negative impact in overall experience. Should finally have a generation to see how good the top big budget developers really are at being creative rather than being held back a lot by hardware, will be a much needed sizeable CPU leap. The generation after might potentially be the last one or very close to it as far as affordable gaming consoles go, then it might be deep pocket generations.

PDI seem in best shape moving forwards.

Not worried about content as much as I am about a regulation update. I don't feel what's so significantly different about this game in comparison to any other Gran Turismo when it comes to the rules. As it stands, the grades mean nothing. They don't include or exclude me from anything.

What would said resources go to? It's not like it's the same people making everything.

Also taking pictures is fun and loads of people love it, sorry it doesn't please you.

Agreed they are seperate and unique teams. The scapes have a dedicated team of c12 people from memory unlike the 50+ car modellers and 38 track modellers.
(data source - about the game under options and team credits).

So its not to my mind an obscene waste of resources especially as scapes is there to interest the younger generation share in twitter etc and people interested in photography...

Its clear that for this PS4 generation PD have a very structured team organisation and a very good platform to expand on - will be very interesting to see how they build on this in next few years...

Latest Posts

Back