What makes Gran Turismo 6 stand out the most?

(Although I have not played GT6 since pCARS release.)
- PD's ability to get the max visually from console. (Standard cars aside. :banghead:) Replay mode, photo mode.
- Online community
- Customization (kinda miss Ridox's replica garage)

What I think makes GT stand out is its immense and broad coverage of automobile history. Heck, in GT4 you could drive the 1886 Motorwagen and its three-wheeled predecessor, as well as the 1915 Ford Model T! Not to mention Nike made that peculiar ONE 2022 thing in 4. PD also gave a lot of different race categories attention, You have a handful of cars from the Group 7 and historic endurance events (I.E. Chaparral 2J, Ferrari 330 P4), as well as the extremely powerful Group C cars such as the R92 and 88CV.

They also went out of their way to include three different Pikes Peak cars, as well as cars from all eras of history (Even the WWII era cars such as the Kubelwagen and Schwimmwagen).

TL;DR, that 1200 car list isn't just a lot of cars. It's a lot of cars that encompass a broad spectrum of history and racing in one place. Where else could you race a Chaparral 2J against a Peugeot 908? Or a ST205 Celica rally car against the Pajero Rally Raid SUV?
And that's what I think makes the GT series stand out.

The incorporating of the VGTs.

The Vision GT Project.

VGT. I love them ! I'm serious, VGT...

100% this. The VGT Project is what separates GT6 from every racing game out there right now or in the foreseeable future.

It's an amazing collaboration between PDI and the automotive industry that not only is exciting to the fans, the professionals involved in the project seem to be having fun with it.

Out of all the racing games I have played, not one feature has put a smile on my face and left me with anticipation like Vision Gran Turismo.

Well IMO the thing that stands out the most in GT in a good way is simply the number of cars. The track selection and graphics also stand out. The VGT project is cool.

On the flip side the lack of proper leaderboards and inferior online system stand out in the other direction.

And of course the fact that we were promised this awesome course creator that has still not arrived almost 2 years later is a huge standout against the game and the company that makes it.

Last edited:
Photomode. Used to be the best way of rendering cars in a realistic way on the market, keeping software and knowledge requirements low. It is still a great feature, but there's similarly impressive offerings from the competition now. Same story with the car list, sure there's some oddballs no other game has but rivals match GT in terms of how many desirable cars you get.

It was a benchmark.

All other games are always compared to GT.
It was the front-runner that other games strove to beat.

Fixed that tense for you. :sly:

For me, the real question is what makes GT6 stand out from it's predecessors.

GT1 stood out for the large amount of cars, the ability to upgrade and tune the cars, and the more realistic physics than the racing games I was used to playing.

GT2 stood out for a huge increase in the amount of cars and tracks, the introduction of real-world locations (Seattle, Grindelwald), and the first real-world track in GT (Laguna Seca).

GT3 mainly stood out for major improvements in graphics at the expense of the total number of cars and tracks.

GT4 stands out as my favorite installment in the series. It had the most expansive career mode and provided many new cars and new tracks.

GT5 stood out for the introduction of premium cars with a cockpit view and the introduction of online racing to the series. By this point new cars and new tracks are an expectation and not a reason to stand out.

GT6 currently just stands out in a positive way for the VGT project. The GPS-based course maker is the most innovative feature that has been advertised, and I hope that someday, this will be the legacy of GT6. On the negative side, I miss the Used Car Dealership and Endurance Races. Both of those are staples of the GT franchise, and their absence makes GT6 feel different.

I'd even include the standards, I mean some of the texturing they've done is cracking for them.

That doesn't count because it wasn't done for GT6.

For me, the real question is what makes GT6 stand out from it's predecessors.

GT6 currently just stands out in a positive way for the VGT project. The GPS-based course maker is the most innovative feature that has been advertised, and I hope that someday,

You mean the rumoured GPS based course maker. IF it ever shows, which I am increasingly doubtful of (it is almost 2 full years late now) I doubt it will still have any GPS capability in it.

The VGT program is the positive stand out for me, but really, GT6 stands out MOST for how poorly they've treated their most devoted fans.

I liked the Moon
Got to this one place - there was a big excavation with this big black monolith in it... drove close and looking at the obsidian surface ... it's full of cars.

I liked the base models letting you run in the SuperGT races with the same sort of car but with your colours and number... Not a huge step.

New tracks - Brands (And the more flowing 1980's layout), Silvastun, Jack Rabbits Springs raceway even managed to get Mount Panorama. I must have worn out the asphalt on these - Shame it is the minimal security prison Silverstone of recent years...

LCC Rocket - I loved the car. such balance and neat handling. Getting the Zahara reservoir circuit was a high point too.

If you're going by what stands out from title to title, I'd have to say the technology behind the visuals and the visuals themselves. The fact that this thing can run at 1080p @ 60fps (yes, I know, not in all circumstances) on hardware that's 10 years old, and not look half-bad (using the modern assets, of course) next to launch titles on the brand new hardware, in and of itself is massively impressive. There's still games that don't hit the 60 fps or 1080p mark on current-gen, and very few games have featured full day/night and weather cycles. Even Forza 6's weather isn't going to be fully dynamic. The photomode is just unreal. The visuals alone make GT6 feel extremely authentic.

I would have said diversity, but I feel like that's sorta been dumbed-down from GT5, and that makes its staple stand-out function. Even though I think GT6 may actually have more things available to you than GT5, GT5 made it feel a lot more daunting, haveing all the content just sorta splayed out and on the table. It felt more daunting, and more like you'd never run out of things to do. GT5 felt bigger in a way to me.

Last edited:
I think when people are looking back on the Gran Turismo series, when they think of GT 6 they'll first remember how PD was able to really stretch the resources of the Playstation 3. i never played GT 5 but I've heard a lot about it here in the forums. A lot of people talk about GT 6 like its really GT 5.5...maybe that's fair, maybe it's not I don't know. Just the other day I sent my brother a couple of photos taken from my phone (I had rolled my Nissan GT-R on Nordschleife) and his comment was "Wow...Your game really does have nice graphics!" He owns an XBox One and Forza 5, so I took that as a very nice compliment.

The number of cars, including some terrible Standard models and some decent Standard models is incredibly impressive. There literally is something for everyone. Along with the very impressive number of tracks, GT 6 can't be accused of shortchanging it's customers in those two regards. Personally, I'm a little ticked off at how long certain features took and the fact that course maker w/gps never came (it literally was one of the features that made me buy the game), but I have been blown away by the realism of just driving a car. GT6 has opened up a whole new world to me. I have a new laptop being assembled as we speak and I look forward to trying Assetto Corsa very soon (and probably PCars at some point). I have Gran Turismo to thank for introducing me to this virtual world of driving/racing.

I think when people are looking back on the Gran Turismo series, when they think of GT 6 they'll first remember how PD was able to really stretch the resources of the Playstation 3. i never played GT 5 but I've heard a lot about it here in the forums. A lot of people talk about GT 6 like its really GT 5.5...maybe that's fair, maybe it's not I don't know. Just the other day I sent my brother a couple of photos taken from my phone (I had rolled my Nissan GT-R on Nordschleife) and his comment was "Wow...Your game really does have nice graphics!" He owns an XBox One and Forza 5, so I took that as a very nice compliment.

The number of cars, including some terrible Standard models and some decent Standard models is incredibly impressive. There literally is something for everyone. Along with the very impressive number of tracks, GT 6 can't be accused of shortchanging it's customers in those two regards. Personally, I'm a little ticked off at how long certain features took and the fact that course maker w/gps never came (it literally was one of the features that made me buy the game), but I have been blown away by the realism of just driving a car. GT6 has opened up a whole new world to me. I have a new laptop being assembled as we speak and I look forward to trying Assetto Corsa very soon (and probably PCars at some point). I have Gran Turismo to thank for introducing me to this virtual world of driving/racing.
Right it's not even a patience thing. Should it be warranted that we get an explanation? Mainly, it hurts them if they don't. I wonder why they haven't commented on the reasons behind the 21 month delay and counting.

And you said it right. Short-changing us? I'm broke and not broke and I really don't see how I got jipped. Im going to have to get another setup. If anything, PD helped us on that front. Don't believe money doesn't factor into this case. Money problems all-around. Oprah money problems giveaway

They did all but shortchange us.

Last edited:
Right it's not even a patience thing. Should it be warranted that we get an explanation? Mainly, it hurts them if they don't. I wonder why they haven't commented on the reasons behind the 21 month delay and counting.
This is my first title from PD and I don't play any other games -- so I don't know if this is typical from video game studios or unique to them, the silence from PD, I mean.

This is my first title from PD and I don't play any other games -- so I don't know if this is typical from video game studios or unique to them, the silence from PD, I mean.
This is about the updates they sent out for GT5. People believed we needed more to learn about what PD does for each update...even when it's solely maintenance.

The course maker was GT5 for me. course maker unseen is a kick to the stomach. No doubt, they ran into problems that weren't tech related.

What stands out is there are 180k quick match "races" going on right now. Twenty months after releasing. Smile for the camera!

I'm smiling, but how can I delete a post I intended to edit into the previous post? Man...

Last edited by a moderator:
Early GT games were the best looking games on those consoles period. Great replays and screenshots, huge amount of game content, great physics etc.

Other titles have had a long time now to copy and improve on GT but they have not managed to do it, even now with newer titles released on newer consoles.

What makes Gran Turismo 6 stand out the most?

In my opinion what makes GT6 stand out the most is the car count which includes so many cars aren't known too well and or seen in different in games. I mean although yes there are a lot of... well useless cars that I don't mind too much because we are so lucky to also have crazy machines that I would of never of heard of if it weren't for GT such as the Plymouth XNR or the Gillet Vertigo. Luckily with all these cars we get a good amount of race tracks to push them to the limits on.

The community that you can meet online and here on GTPlanet is great, I mean look at all the things we have on GT here; online leagues and races, Drag and Drifting sections and tuning forums which can cater to all our needs or wants when in comes to GT.

Definitely a big part of what makes GT stand out is it's origins, throughout every GT I have had so much fun and played probably far too many hours and despite that I still want more which brings me back again and again. Yes GT6 probably isn't the greatest one but I certainly wouldn't call it a bad one!

Well that was my long opinion focusing mainly on three points. I hope it wasn't too much for you all. :gtpflag:

Edit: Oh and trust me if I had the time I could cover every single thing about GT6!

So redoing the textures and geometry wasn't done just for GT6?

Nope. The PS1 was totally capable of displaying good resolution models, but the texture memory was limited. You can see the dithering and pixelation around the fender openings and the the glass.

There's only a handful of cars that got premium bodies but still lack interiors. The 70 and 73 skylines, the R32 NISMO GT-R LM, and the RUF Porsches. I haven't found any other cars that got a proper redo.

Nope. The PS1 was totally capable of displaying good resolution models, but the texture memory was limited. You can see the dithering and pixelation around the fender openings and the the glass.

There's only a handful of cars that got premium bodies but still lack interiors. The 70 and 73 skylines, the R32 NISMO GT-R LM, and the RUF Porsches. I haven't found any other cars that got a proper redo.
I'd say the number is a lot higher than you think, there are numerous sources around GTP but I'm just gonna pluck this from Google. Just because they aren't semi-premium, doesn't mean they haven't had work done to them.

I'd say the number is a lot higher than you think, there are numerous sources around GTP but I'm just gonna pluck this from Google. Just because they aren't semi-premium, doesn't mean they haven't had work done to them.

So, now I found two more...maybe, which is nice. I think there's also a 240 sx that looks pretty good, but it's still a handful of cars. There was a list on the site (which I am too lazy to go dig up) that lists TONS of them but people must be looking at most of those cars on really small screens because I could see the jagged lines and low poly modelling in almost all of them.

There's a list floating around this site that is populated with cars that were supposedly redone, but when I look, I see LOTS jagged edges and low poly curves.

Also, redoing the Mistubishi Colt? Nice choice PD.

Still, this iteration is most memorable to me for the LACK of care the customers are getting.

Since the title specifically references GT6, and not GT in general:

• The car count. Yep, nothing else comes close from a sheer numbers perspective, even if the vast majority of them are PS2 assets and/or nigh-on identical versions of other cars.
  • Photomode. Still better than any other one I've tried.
  • Vision Gran Turismo project. Both for better, and for worse.
  • The turning point in the series, sales-numbers-wise.
  • Released on a recently-replaced system.
  • Accurate Night Skies ™.
  • Er, far more options for dressing up your digital avatar than other games?
  • GTAcademy, absolutely.
  • The moon. Both for better, and for worse.
Track list is too hard to give to any one title. Other than that, I can't think of anything else the game does that isn't on display elsewhere in the genre.

It gave us a history lesson on Andretti and racing during his time. It allowed for more people to gain appreciation of the man, Senna. This is beautiful.

GT6 is the turning point for how people will perceive this car game series or how innovative a car game can be when on the outside, it looks like a plain racing game.

I like that I can learn about various manufacturers I have little information on and some of their best/most renown/rarest cars. It also allows me to appreciate cars I generally have a distaste for, such as American Muscle cars, as well as cars I would normally like.

What makes it stand out (among 101 other unique features) is that it is the only video-game - AFAIK - that was responsible for flinging life-size cars into the sky. The cars still hang there. Probably be there after many other video-games have come and gone.

The largest attraction for me when it comes to GT has always been the suspense of not knowing what car I will unlock at the end of a race or series. I mentioned it in this thread yesterday. After all the hard work, adjusting cars, grinding for that win, then you get to see the unknown reward. GT3 had the best reward system IMO. :)

Hybrids in GT3 also got me very hooked on the series. Was always hoping as the series progressed they would add engine swaps, or drivetrain swaps like the hybrids allowed. Hopefully with GT7.

Back