What movies have you seen lately? Now with reviews!Movies 

• Thread starter scentedsoap
  • 8,163 comments
The_Flash.jpg

Watched that one yesterday and Let's just say, I'm happy I didn't go see this in theaters because that movie was very "subpar" for lack of a better word.

IMO, with all the cameos in this movies, it's almost as if the producers didn't believe the character would be able to hold the movie and generate interest from fans. I get that it's part of the storyline but it's still something I couldn't help but notice. That aside, the jokes were not all that funny, the acting was so-so and honestly, they should have just hired Grant Gustin for this as I think he does a much better job with the character. For a $200+ million movie I expected the special effects to be a lot better that what was shown.

Overall, a very disappointing movie
4/10

Last edited:
Saw Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken yesterday

I enjoyed it. Character focused movie with a simple plot for the character arcs revolving around how you shouldn't lie and hide things from the people you care about. There is quite a few funny moments as well especially involving the typical Uncle character who ended up being my favourite character.

The one negative would be there is too many characters and a lack of focus between High School Drama and Kaiju Krakens vs Kaiju Mermaids, it can feel like watching two different movies at once

Rubys friends feel especially problematic here, I had no interest in Rubys relationship with her friends because they don't really explore interactions and each of their characters is one note (especially the doomer comic relief one, the movie already has 3 comic reliefs with the male family members, there doesn't need to be a 4th one). You couldve easily put the friends character traits into one and just have 1 friend for Ruby and it would be a lot better and I would care more for when Ruby starts hanging out with Chelsea more.

Overall, I think it is still a solid movie, just needs a bit more focus as they put too many moving pieces that could've just been removed.

Last edited:
Steven Spielberg's The Fabelmans is now my second favorite film of him, right after Jaws, which happens to be my first movie theater memory (in a drive-in, no less).

the_ladykillers_2020_poster_crop.jpg

The Ladykillers (1955)

I'm not a massive fan of older films but this was great. It has a 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes and features a hero of mine, Peter Sellers, alongside Herbert Lom, who would later appear together in the Pink Panther series. However, it is Alec Guinness with his hilarious but creepy, sinister character that really steals the show. It was fascinating for me to see a young Peter Sellers in a minor role working with someone that he considered a legend. There's some genuinely hilarious moments in this film and I can see myself watching it many times.

5/5

I saw 'The Retirement Plan' with Nicolas Cage and Ron Perlman.

An entertaining sunday afternoon movie. Nothing more can be said.
A lot of cliches. Ron Perlman has a great role in it.
A predictable ending.

5.5/10

FB_shareCard_1200x628_v01.jpg

Yes, yes, I'm like two hundred and forty some odd years late for this...

I obviously knew it was a thing when if was first making the rounds and while I wasn't avoiding it, I wasn't making any attempts to watch it, either. I was just... indifferent.

Fast forward to this past Saturday. I was watching a video on YT, was sidetracked and another video started playing. Of all things it was the "most difficult Broadway songs to sing". Blah. Mostly forgettable, or ones everyone has already heard.

Until they got to Guns and Ships.

That caught me off guard as, not being a big musical fan (shocker, I know), I'd never heard a song like that in a musical.

Watched half of Hamilton on Saturday and finished it last night and was completely impressed. There were a handful of slow moments but it wouldn't have the same feel it the entirety of the show was cranked up to 11.

I have to go with a solid 9.5/10.

TB
FB_shareCard_1200x628_v01.jpg

Yes, yes, I'm like two hundred and forty some odd years late for this...

I obviously knew it was a thing when if was first making the rounds and while I wasn't avoiding it, I wasn't making any attempts to watch it, either. I was just... indifferent.

Fast forward to this past Saturday. I was watching a video on YT, was sidetracked and another video started playing. Of all things it was the "most difficult Broadway songs to sing". Blah. Mostly forgettable, or ones everyone has already heard.

Until they got to Guns and Ships.

That caught me off guard as, not being a big musical fan (shocker, I know), I'd never heard a song like that in a musical.

Watched half of Hamilton on Saturday and finished it last night and was completely impressed. There were a handful of slow moments but it wouldn't have the same feel it the entirety of the show was cranked up to 11.

I have to go with a solid 9.5/10.

I’ve not seen it yet… probably never will :lol:

I do like some musicals I enjoyed Greatest Showman and some others but I’m not a person to go out of my way to watch one just for the musical numbers. It has to be an Actor/Actress or Story which draws me in and Hamilton just doesn’t have those hooks for me personally.

Last music I watched was the Christmas Carol rip off abomination “Spirited” and it just left a bitter taste for me.

I’ve not seen it yet… probably never will :lol:

I do like some musicals I enjoyed Greatest Showman and some others but I’m not a person to go out of my way to watch one just for the musical numbers. It has to be an Actor/Actress or Story which draws me in and Hamilton just doesn’t have those hooks for me personally.

Last music I watched was the Christmas Carol rip off abomination “Spirited” and it just left a bitter taste for me.
I didn't think Hamilton was for me, either, but I thought it was fantastic and could easily rewatch it.

If you didn't watch the Guns and Ships clip in my previous post, give it a shot. If you're still not interested, fair enough. :D

TB
I didn't think Hamilton was for me, either, but I thought it was fantastic and could easily rewatch it.

If you didn't watch the Guns and Ships clip in my previous post, give it a shot. If you're still not interested, fair enough. :D
Now I remember why it also didn’t float my boat (pardon the pun), it’s a filmed stage show rather than a typical film production.

I’ll stick with Rocky Horror :lol:

Slotherhouse_27x40JPG.jpg

D+

Sorority chick adopts a sloth that goes on a murderous rampage. Almost dumb enough to be awesome. Hampered by its PG-13 rating. Now I ain't saying that it need over the top gore and nudity, but...

Saw Puss in Boots: The Last Wish in lead up to the terrible Mario Kart rip off Dreamworks is doing tomorrow.

@ScottPuss20 is going to kill me for this but I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised at the same time.

First off, the thing no one won't stop talking about with this movie, Death. I love his character, quite fun interpretation of the usual Death who are usually metaphorically and edgy while Death here is no bull**** while enjoys himself. However this is all in a vacuum and he isn't a main character, hes meant to be a side character to further Puss character arc and I found it underwhelming. As a Boss fight, the build up was cool but the pay off I didn't feel like he was that powerful or Puss got much stronger, Puss says he could never beat him after some fancy action scenes between the 2 and thats it really. As a stepping stone for Puss character arc, he feels pointless. I get the whole point is Puss is meant to embrace the one life he has and not take it for granted but Jack Horner is way more interesting as a foil character to that who comediecally wastes peoples lives like they're worthless just because he isn't magical and wants to have magic. Death only creates cool fight scenes that stops the movie dead everywhere else just to be flashy. Both Death and Jack Horner suffer because of this as their isn't enough screen time for them both to flesh out beyond and I rather Death just be cut from the movie entirely and have Jack Horner take Deaths intentions as a character for Puss's development.

On the other hand, Perrito and Goldilocks are rarely mentioned and they are the best things about the movie and kept my engagement and were satisfied with how they progressed. Goldilocks had a great appearance as the middle ground antagonist between Horner and Puss and has a lovely interaction with her 3 Bear family. Perrito is just the best comic relief character I have ever seen (sorry Effie Trinket, you have been replaced), genineuly funny using elements of his background for the comedy, wholesome always wanting to cheer who he sees as his friends up and have a good time, made me cry greatly knowing what he went through despite his innocence, I just wanted to protect his innocence and his carefree attitude at all cost. He fit the role of showing Puss how to just enjoy life as it is perfectly.

Did I like the movie? Absolutely, just not for the reasons most people did and I think The Bad Guys was the better Dreamworks movie of that year.

Last edited:
Perrito is just the best comic relief character I have ever seen (sorry Effie Trinket, you have been replaced)

I mean, without even thinking about it... Olaf. With more thought and some internet research, Genie.

Did I like the movie? Absolutely, just not for the reasons most people did and I think The Bad Guys was the better Dreamworks movie of that year.

I liked The Bad Guys better too. I agree that Puss was good.

Saw Puss in Boots: The Last Wish in lead up to the terrible Mario Kart rip off Dreamworks is doing tomorrow.

@ScottPuss20 is going to kill me for this but I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised at the same time.

First off, the thing no one won't stop talking about with this movie, Death. I love his character, quite fun interpretation of the usual Death who are usually metaphorically and edgy while Death here is no bull**** while enjoys himself. However this is all in a vacuum and he isn't a main character, hes meant to be a side character to further Puss character arc and I found it underwhelming. As a Boss fight, the build up was cool but the pay off I didn't feel like he was that powerful or Puss got much stronger, Puss says he could never beat him after some fancy action scenes between the 2 and thats it really. As a stepping stone for Puss character arc, he feels pointless. I get the whole point is Puss is meant to embrace the one life he has and not take it for granted but Jack Horner is way more interesting as a foil character to that who comediecally wastes peoples lives like they're worthless just because he isn't magical and wants to have magic. Death only creates cool fight scenes that stops the movie dead everywhere else just to be flashy. Both Death and Jack Horner suffer because of this as their isn't enough screen time for them both to flesh out beyond and I rather Death just be cut from the movie entirely and have Jack Horner take Deaths intentions as a character for Puss's development.

On the other hand, Perrito and Goldilocks are rarely mentioned and they are the best things about the movie and kept my engagement and were satisfied with how they progressed. Goldilocks had a great appearance as the middle ground antagonist between Horner and Puss and has a lovely interaction with her 3 Bear family. Perrito is just the best comic relief character I have ever seen (sorry Effie Trinket, you have been replaced), genineuly funny using elements of his background for the comedy, wholesome always wanting to cheer who he sees as his friends up and have a good time, made me cry greatly knowing what he went through despite his innocence, I just wanted to protect his innocence and his carefree attitude at all cost. He fit the role of showing Puss how to just enjoy life as it is perfectly.

Oooh OK... Those are a few hot takes.

Pay attention to the song at the start. Puss doesn't give a **** as he's "never been touched by a blade" and is "never afraid" because he has 9 lives. When the doctor tells him that he needs to retire, he scoffs at him because he's arrogant and loves himself. Then Death comes in and completely shatters his world view, scaring the absolute crap out of Puss to the point where he runs away. For the first time in 8 lives, he IS afraid and submits himself to a boring life of retirement to be safe. However in doing so, he becomes a shell of his former self. When he discovers the existence of the Wishing Star, he steps back into action because he believes it will allow him to escape death and become "the legend" again. Death strikes fear into Puss and torments him, unlike Jack Horner who is just a goofy villain to provide some stakes in the quest for the Wishing Star. Think of it this way: Death has had to take the lives of people who didn't deserve to die, whilst Puss wastes his like they're nothing. That angers Death, so he's like, even if you get the wish, you still won't value those lives, would you? You'll still be the same old Puss In Boots. Before the last fight, Puss is given an ultimatum: do you want take the coward's way out and run away, or do you want to fight for those you love? Puss thinks about what he's just been through and decides to fight, because he doesn't want be seen as a coward. When Death is satisfied that Puss has learnt his lesson, he buggers off. That payoff for me was huge, and I genuinely felt a sense of relief like nothing else before. I can't fault it. However if you put it simply, Puss changed his mind because he wanted to get in with Kitty. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Oooh OK... Those are a few hot takes.

Pay attention to the song at the start. Puss doesn't give a **** as he's "never been touched by a blade" and is "never afraid" because he has 9 lives. When the doctor tells him that he needs to retire, he scoffs at him because he's arrogant and loves himself. Then Death comes in and completely shatters his world view, scaring the absolute crap out of Puss to the point where he runs away. For the first time in 8 lives, he IS afraid and submits himself to a boring life of retirement to be safe. However in doing so, he becomes a shell of his former self. When he discovers the existence of the Wishing Star, he steps back into action because he believes it will allow him to escape death and become "the legend" again. Death strikes fear into Puss and torments him, unlike Jack Horner who is just a goofy villain to provide some stakes in the quest for the Wishing Star. Think of it this way: Death has had to take the lives of people who didn't deserve to die, whilst Puss wastes his like they're nothing. That angers Death, so he's like, even if you get the wish, you still won't value those lives, would you? You'll still be the same old Puss In Boots. Before the last fight, Puss is given an ultimatum: do you want take the coward's way out and run away, or do you want to fight for those you love? Puss thinks about what he's just been through and decides to fight, because he doesn't want be seen as a coward. When Death is satisfied that Puss has learnt his lesson, he buggers off. That payoff for me was huge, and I genuinely felt a sense of relief like nothing else before. I can't fault it. However if you put it simply, Puss changed his mind because he wanted to get in with Kitty. Make of that what you will.
You say it like I didn't watch the movies. I got all of that with Death and Puss, its hard to miss. My problem is that it wasn't executed very well and overall seemed redundant when you had the main villain who could have already done the role Death had for Puss development if they just gave the villain enough screentime and in the end it just makes the movie not as amazing as it couldve been with very limited screentime of characters and pacing problems. (The fact you just label Horner as a just a goofy villain when hes meant to be the main antagonist shows how they goofed the thing up with too many characters.

Doesn't help Death only has 3 interactive appeaearences in the entire movie, the rest is just intimidation which could easily be done with any character, like the actual villain. Since Puss fear is more about the concept of Death itself.

The biggest gripe of this is with the finale, you have the three way battle between Goldilocks, Jack Horner and Team Friendship. Goldilocks goes through her character arc, all good and Jack Horner gets temporary defeated until he comes back much bigger, however they inserted that fight scene between Death and Puss in the middle of it and it just puts everything on pause just for this action scene and Puss to go through the character arc disjointed from everyone else, and then afterwards were suddenly back to remembering Jack Horner is the villain and there is an actual story only for him to be quickly defeated anyway.

They didn't need to make a Fursonafication of Death for Puss arc about not taking his life for granted and to finally fear the concept of death. Puss as an outlaw could easily encounter Jack Horner earlier on his last life all confident but Horner kicks his ass and being a sadistic *** who doesn't value anyones life like how Puss never valued his own, goes in for a kill which would still have Puss in the terrified of death stage. While giving the remainder characters much more focus and fix several pacing issues the movie had at the end. It could probably work the other way around and get rid of Jack Horner and have Death be the main antagonist who wants to stop Puss from making the wish out of his hatred of Cats having 9 lives and wasting lives away and instead of just trying to kill Puss outright first, he wanted to destroy the wishing star first. Hell you could have him win at the end too and have him destroy it since every character arc revolves around not getting the wish and appreciating what they actually have right now. Guess the point is, the movie shouldnt have both Horner AND Death in the movie and should have just picked one, and especially find it disappointing as I do really love Deaths design both visually and personality wise, probably one of my favourite personification of Death (up there with the Girl from Yu Yu Hakusho), it just frustrating to see that design go to waste when it either could have been saved for later or did much more.

I mean, without even thinking about it... Olaf. With more thought and some internet research, Genie.

I liked The Bad Guys better too. I agree that Puss was good.
Olaf is cool but Perrito massive positive energy foiled by his really saddened backstory but using that to his advantage for the comedy and further positivity to help everyone of his friends character arc was unforgettable and I adored every scene he was in.

Never saw Aladdin so no comment on Genie.

You say it like I didn't watch the movies. I got all of that with Death and Puss, its hard to miss. My problem is that it wasn't executed very well and overall seemed redundant when you had the main villain who could have already done the role Death had for Puss development if they just gave the villain enough screentime and in the end it just makes the movie not as amazing as it couldve been with very limited screentime of characters and pacing problems. (The fact you just label Horner as a just a goofy villain when hes meant to be the main antagonist shows how they goofed the thing up with too many characters.

Doesn't help Death only has 3 interactive appeaearences in the entire movie, the rest is just intimidation which could easily be done with any character, like the actual villain. Since Puss fear is more about the concept of Death itself.

The biggest gripe of this is with the finale, you have the three way battle between Goldilocks, Jack Horner and Team Friendship. Goldilocks goes through her character arc, all good and Jack Horner gets temporary defeated until he comes back much bigger, however they inserted that fight scene between Death and Puss in the middle of it and it just puts everything on pause just for this action scene and Puss to go through the character arc disjointed from everyone else, and then afterwards were suddenly back to remembering Jack Horner is the villain and there is an actual story only for him to be quickly defeated anyway.

They didn't need to make a Fursonafication of Death for Puss arc about not taking his life for granted and to finally fear the concept of death. Puss as an outlaw could easily encounter Jack Horner earlier on his last life all confident but Horner kicks his ass and being a sadistic *** who doesn't value anyones life like how Puss never valued his own, goes in for a kill which would still have Puss in the terrified of death stage. While giving the remainder characters much more focus and fix several pacing issues the movie had at the end. It could probably work the other way around and get rid of Jack Horner and have Death be the main antagonist who wants to stop Puss from making the wish out of his hatred of Cats having 9 lives and wasting lives away and instead of just trying to kill Puss outright first, he wanted to destroy the wishing star first. Hell you could have him win at the end too and have him destroy it since every character arc revolves around not getting the wish and appreciating what they actually have right now. Guess the point is, the movie shouldnt have both Horner AND Death in the movie and should have just picked one, and especially find it disappointing as I do really love Deaths design both visually and personality wise, probably one of my favourite personification of Death (up there with the Girl from Yu Yu Hakusho), it just frustrating to see that design go to waste when it either could have been saved for later or did much more.
Yeah I don't agree with this. None of the characters are redundant and all of them are done well. I didn't see any issues with the pacing either. Jack Horner is a good villain but he doesn't strike fear into Puss or force him to change his attitude like Death does. If Death never encountered Puss and scared the crap out of him, he'd see no need to find the wishing star AT ALL. Jack Horner doesn't provide motivation for Puss to go on such a quest, he just wants the wishing star all to himself, no matter the cost. His ruthlessness and huge collection of magic objects makes him a serious threat, but at no point does Puss freak out over his presence. Is he concerned? Yes, but not in the same way. Death is integral to the plot and is by no means wasted. He may not have much screen time but his impact is huge and memorable, perhaps more than any other villain I've seen in a movie.

Watched 'Gran Turismo' last night, felt I had to.

I think the best thing I can say about it, is that the sum of it's parts would have been really good, but sadly, it came out as less than that.... way less than that.

As a fan of motorsport, and as a fan of the game, the way both are so badly misrepresented is impossible to miss. I think people with a passing interest of sports 'zero-to-hero' stories might enjoy it though, it does manage to inspire some genuine emotion.

For me, I have often wondered what impact the crash at the 'ring had on Jann, I don't know if the film portrays the after events accurately or makes them completely up, but I did quite like how they did it.

61F5tusMOgL.jpg

Basically the modern Chucky (she's even distributed by Universal Studios :dopey:)... NGL, I wanted to see her on theaters, but didn't had the chance, thank god there's HBO 👍... Anyway, few movies can say they made over 100 million on their run with just 12 million on the budget, and boy, M3gan did it and with a good reason. The plot was great in centering a child's pain of losing their parents and the constant unknowing of an adult to help a child to go through that pain RIGHT in making an A.I powered (no Charles Lee Ray soul here) little-girl-looking humanoid robot the "right solution" to that. I mean, everybody has to look for someone to get some comfort after a very bad moment, TRUST ME, I KNOW... But sometimes that, instead of a solution, is more of a distraction from reality. M3gan was that and man, this girl's A.I. really needed to get patched. An actual real-life M3gan is not that far by how quickly A.I tech and acceptance is moving, but of course, needs some SERIOUS testing before getting it into production, because it can end up doing more damage that benefits, also, it all depends on the user too.

I'm surprised no M3gan skin mod for any GTA was made this year, I mean, this movie was released earlier this year, and most 3D models I've seen that were made from scratch are great and possibly doesn't take too long!

Last edited:
ballerina.jpg

Ballerina: B

Decent revenge flick, with a nice lean 93 minutes.

Last movie I saw with Jeon Jong-seo was... Burning? She gets a lot more to do here. It's nice that she gets to do normal human things, like cry and get her butt kicked, when she's not trying to kill everything she sees.

Kim Ji-hoon plays a right bastard. Holy crap.

The story is OK and does a decent job of embracing and subverting tropes. The action violence is pretty satisfying.

The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds of Snakes

Hard to write about, as a standalone movie, it works really well and I was invested in all the characters having to deal with only 10 years of the Hunger Games after the war and struggling. I especially like Lucy Gray and Snow's friend.

However this movie is a prequel about the main antagonist of the trilogy and it tries to explain how he is the way he is in the trilogy but thats the problem. Snow was a really good villain as a final obstacle for Katniss to overcome and had an interesting dynamic with her. Trying to give a Snow a movie for the reasons for his motivations where he meant to start out as likeable hampers the trilogy by making Snow come off as empathetic and tragic and takes the fun out of his villainous actions and becomes overdramatic. They also tried to circle things around to Snow having signs that he desires power in the same vein as Anakin from The Clone Wars and it was one of weakest parts of that TV Series and Snow is no exception in this movie, especially when it bounces back and forth

I don't necessarily think explaining why a generic villain is how they are can't be done well, weird comparison but D-Structs from the Dinotrux TV Series took the same avenue. However the difference is D-Structs was never treated as a morally good character in his explanation, he was always evil, the events just explained his mindset from earlier seasons and the next season. Snow in this Prequel is meant to come across as morally good to goes bad and it can't work given his actions in the actual Trilogy, no amount of "realistic" "awful people used to be good" will change that (thats how my sister justifies it). Flashback in a 30 minute kids episode triumphs over an entire Prequel Book turned 3 Hour movie in giving their main villain context.

They also overexplained the reason why the creations of the Hunger Games happened at the end and it comes across as trying to make the whole thing tragic and takes the fun out of the original trilogy tearing down such a ruthless and terrible way to live.

TL;DR As its own standalone story, its really good but as a Prequel that answers questions that should never have been answered, it was doomed from the start and took the a really bad avenue that ironically makes the Hunger Games trilogy less interesting when this movie set out to do the opposite. You especially feel like the closer you get to end whete they tie things up than earlier where they set up new and interesting characters

Last edited:
the-killer-2023-0.jpg

The Killer (2023): B-

Not one of Fincher's better films, and I never read the graphic novel, but I liked it well enough.

Simple enough story of an assassin botching a job and things going sideways.

The pacing was nice and slow, Fassbender and Swinton are almost always good in anything, and the liberal use of The Smiths was awesome.

Rented MI: Dead Reckoning Part I

Loved the start, with the feel of the first Mission Impossible. After that, it’s like they borrowed similar stunts/scenarios from the first movie and some movies after(and I’ll add one of the Jurassic Park movies) to fill in scenes til the cliffhanger. I mean, even the main flashback of why Hunt wants revenge, was just like the first movie. Damn near similar movie set.

Felt like a quality movie, but didn’t need a few scenes to try and add suspense. Ghost Protocol did it better.

Compared to the first(still the best and my favourite) MI, I’ll give it a 7/10. I’ll also rent Part II.

On my Cruise Ship I had to time to watch several movies being played

Rio 2

Pointless? Yes, it didnt need a sequel and the fact its about how something we knew about in Rio 1 wasn't true kind of defeats the purpose but there isnt to say there wasn't potential in it.

The fact the two main character birds got together at the end of the first movie with the incentive being they were the last of their kind only for that to be false did lay ground work for an interesting love story where we could see if the two actually love each other or was their love only due to circumstances. Too bad they didnt do that and it was just mere lore about the blue birds and and constantly kicking Blue into the dirt until the ends where his human experience saves everyone. As boring as a pointless movie could be.

Only saving grace is Nigel being a relegated to being the comedic villain in this movie and he was an absolute joy just trying to get his revenge teaming up with a Toxic Frog simp. Wish he was the main villain again like this as the actual villain was really boring.

Timeless

Again really boring, the entire time as a currency gimmick is nothing more than metaphors about life and how no one is immortal with the characters being nothing more than vessels for this metaphorical plot, I can't care for the plot. If I dont care about anyone involved.

Anastasia

It's fine, people wonder why we don't have animated kids movies with this level of seriousness but there isn't anything for kids to easily grab into it. Fine movie regardless though its hilarious how historically inaccurate it is to the Tsar and Rasputin but they just brush it off as we don't know the "real" story :lol:. Guess thats one way to future proof it.

Ice Age 5: Collision Course

I ironically enjoyed this one, more because the Ice Age Pentology is interesting in how the writers clearly stopped caring after the 2nd one and each subsequent entry is more pointless and they justify it a lot less and here, they clearly gave up.

Manny goes through the same arc as the 4th movie, Sid gets shoved in a random girlfriend, they brought back Buck due to the plot circumstances and the Scrat skits became more frequent and more over the top with UFOs, meteorites and transferring the storm from Jupiter to Earth. Its so disjointed from the 1st movie being about 3 animals on the worst escort mission if put into a video game looking after an ugly baby (remember when Humans were apart of the movies?)

And this episode of "what the hell do we even do with Diego?" They put him and his totally not forced in girlfriend from the 4th movie through an arc about how kids are scared of them and if they would be good parents to kids, and nothing happens until the end when kids are suddenly not scared of him. Its amazing how poorly they handle Diego since his character arc is pretty much done after the 1st movie, and the 2nd movie of him being the middle ground of Sid and Manny already ran its course so they tried so hard to give him things since then feeling forced and even contradictory to previous movies (also makes his forced arc in the 3rd movie about feeling irrelevant with Manny slowing down with a kid ironically true) If anything, Sid getting the girlfriend in 4th movie and thinking about getting kids in the 5th one would make more sense as Sid already had experiences (poorly) handling kids in the 1st and 3rd movies and having kids his own and a family would round up his character.

And the thing is, I think Diego couldve fit here, the movies antagonists were a family of Dinosaurs with the male kid being abused by his family. It would fit Diego to interact with the antagonists and take this extremely personal given its like what he went through in the 1st movie, even end with Diego adopting the male kid if they want to give Diego having kids being a thing, but he has no interaction with them at all and the antagonists get redeemed via Buck offering a temprorary alliance and thats really it. Massive victim of the writers not caring, which you can't really blame them being forced to make 5 movies when only the 2nd one was a necessary sequel.

Last edited:
Five Nights at Freddy’s. 6/10

I never played the game or read the books.
First off, it reminded me of the Country Bear animatronics at Disney. Second, last year or earlier this year, I saw a Nick Cage movie called Willy’s Wonderland. FNAF reminded me of that!

It was watchable and I guess a soft introduction to gore(if there is such a thing) for teenagers. Pretty predictable characters and story. My daughter told me there are supposed to be sequels. We’ll see.

The Marvels.

No, AntMania was not the worse MCU movie. The Marvels was so bad, me and my wife walked out at the one hour mark. We nearly walked out fifteen minutes earlier, but tried to hang in there. Nope.
Started okay, but then, someone actually approved the singing and making Captain Marvel a “Disney” Princess.

All the girl power and women empowerment, was thrown out the window with the script. Just bad.
The cats were fine, but even Sam Jackson couldn’t rescue this one.
First Captain Marvel wasn’t the greatest, but had better characters and storyline. Ms. Marvel tv show was pretty good. Monica Rambeau in WandaVision was good as well.

It’s almost like this movie tried to pull a Spider-Man No Way Home. I’m glad Marvel Studios will be doing a soft reboot. Just slow down and start making quality pictures.

Since we only saw half a flick, no score. I’ll wate til Disney+.

Dungeon's and Dragon's: Honor among Thieves. I really wasn't expecting much, and I slept through the second act, the mark of a boring movie to me. Long, soulless, by the numbers, generic plot, bland acting and unexciting action sequences.

To cleanse my palate, I just rewatched The Last of the Mohicans to remind how lucky I am that movies like that were produced in my lifetime, and apparently will never be again.

Went and saw Godzilla Minus One this morning, my first time back in a theater since... The Incredibles 2, I think? Anyway, it was quite good. I recommend it.

Took a date to see Aquaman 2 even though I haven't watched the first one nor following the DCEU.

It was fine, the fight scenes are kinda cool though.

Ferrari.

Better than I thought.

I went in blind, having not read anything about the film.

... consequently I didn't realise how much it leaned into the 1957 Mille Miglia, and what happened, I'm glad they handled it the way they did, i.e. graphically, got a reaction from the audience who might have otherwise been glazing over.

Thought Driver and Cruz were both great, whole film is a bit of a downer though.

Rebel Moon: Part 1 - A Child of Fire

I turned it off after about 40 mins because of how corny it was. It has a stupid story, bad acting and too many cheesy slow motion action sequences. It's incredible that Zack Snyder's last good movie was 300.

Last edited:
On the last day of the year I watched Godzilla Minus One, and IMO it was the best film of 2023 I have watched so far.

On the first day of the year I watched Renfield and was surprised how fun it was. I want more Dracula films with Nicolas Cage!

Last edited:
The romcom Anyone but You

The plot is a basic romcom misunderstanding plot just to get the jokes and characters together and I thought the jokes were mostly pretty funny, gave me quite a few laughs with some funny Australian stereotypes thrown in to remind you they are on a wedding holiday in Australia. Characters are a bit hit and miss, I felt bad for the main female character as the misunderstanding and plot felt heavily contrived against her to make you feel bad for her which makes most characters look like the worse, especially her parents. Then you have characters like Pete, the Pastor and Petes dog who steal every scene they're in and by far the best characters in the movie, the married couple is a wholesome comfort set up with them however their fight feels so random as an aftermath of the two main characters fight that nothing about it comes up before or after.

If you're into jokes and some highlight characters, Id recommend it if a romcom fan drags you into it.

Last edited:
Back