What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
Bought a Huawei Ascend Mate 7 (what a name). I'm so happy with it; the massive 6in screen is sharp and vibrant, and the double quad-core processor performance is brilliant, and it has a rather smart glass and brushed metal build. The killer though, is that it can be picked up for a mere £280.

With that in mind, I do wonder why Samsung think they can get away with charging double for the equivalent Note 4, and indeed, why Apple will charge you over £170 on top of that for an iPhone 6 Plus. Both the Note and the 6 Plus are great phones, sure, and both are probably better than the Huawei, but so much better as to justify their significantly higher prices? I'm not so sure...

Bought a Huawei Ascend Mate 7 (what a name). I'm so happy with it; the massive 6in screen is sharp and vibrant, and the double quad-core processor performance is brilliant, and it has a rather smart glass and brushed metal build. The killer though, is that it can be picked up for a mere £280.

With that in mind, I do wonder why Samsung think they can get away with charging double for the equivalent Note 4, and indeed, why Apple will charge you over £170 on top of that for an iPhone 6 Plus. Both the Note and the 6 Plus are great phones, sure, and both are probably better than the Huawei, but so much better as to justify their significantly higher prices? I'm not so sure...

To be fair, the Mate 7 is a brilliant phone and for its price it's really good. But I only paid £250 for my Note 4, and it's definitely the best phone i've ever used. :sly:

To be fair, the Mate 7 is a brilliant phone and for its price it's really good. But I only paid £250 for my Note 4, and it's definitely the best phone i've ever used. :sly:

Where from? That's a truly awesome deal, and with an offer like that, you might as well go for the Note 4. The cheapest I found was £380... :indiff:

Huawei will probably dominate smartphone sales even more in the future, they just need to make their brand feel more premium and it's getting there.

Huawei will probably dominate smartphone sales even more in the future, they just need to make their brand feel more premium and it's getting there.

Think about Kia/Hyundai. In their early days, they made some poor cars, saved by the fact they were relatively cheap. Over the years, however, they have not just made a name for themselves by undercutting the opposition, but now by offering high quality, well developed cars on a par with key rivals. Even ten years ago, choosing the equivalent Hyundai over, say, a Ford Focus would not offer you anywhere near as good a car. That gap has narrowed to nearly nothing today, and some would probably choose the Hyundai over the Ford.

I see Huawei on a similar trajectory, moving from an emerging smartphone brand to flagship challenger, producing phones with real merit in their design, and aren't just popular because they're cheap.

Where from? That's a truly awesome deal, and with an offer like that, you might as well go for the Note 4. The cheapest I found was £380... :indiff:
I have good contact with a guy from Samsung Norway, and he have got me some good deals the last 3 generations. On Note 2, Note 3 and Note 4 I got really good deals, all of them below half price of lowest retail/internet price at the moments of purchase. :P

I have good contact with a guy from Samsung Norway, and he have got me some good deals the last 3 generations. On Note 2, Note 3 and Note 4 I got really good deals, all of them below half price of lowest retail/internet price at the moments of purchase. :P

Well, in that case, more power to you! :)👍

I'm not in such a position, so I'm pretty happy with the poor man's alternative! :lol:

Just gone from a Sony xperia z2 to a Samsung galaxy note 4. All the phone that can be needed for the forseeable.

So I've officially have had my OnePlus One for just a bit over half a year and I have to say, it is perfect. I might write a full review or something some time, but until then, I 100% recommend this phone, because it has amazing specs considering its price (currently only $300 for 64Gb until the 7th this month) as long as you don't mind the size and the camera quality.

Guess this is the best place to put this since we don't have a "General Phone Discussion" thread.

New BlackBerry "Oslo" smartphone leaked

On the spec side of things, the BlackBerry Oslo will reportedly pack a Snapdragon 800 processor, a 13-megapixel rear camera, 3GB of RAM and a 3450mAh battery. Like the Passport, the new phone features a square display, though there’s no word on its exact size of resolution

I've always had a soft spot for BlackBerry (possibly because I was good friends with the son of their former CEO in university:lol:) so I'm definitely hoping they can make a successful comeback.

Guess this is the best place to put this since we don't have a "General Phone Discussion" thread.

I've always had a soft spot for BlackBerry (possibly because I was good friends with the son of their former CEO in university:lol:) so I'm definitely hoping they can make a successful comeback.

Looks like a Porsche Design Passport/Z30 hybrid sort of thing. Interested to see how it performs.

You can spend a lot less than that and have a phone with more power. The processors on these phones I doubt cost that much to make so a lot of the phones from more premium brands seem to be mainly markup and also they have good resale value especially iPhones.

Think the codename is actually "Dallas".
Looks like a Porsche Design Passport/Z30 hybrid sort of thing. Interested to see how it performs.
Maybe a cheaper version of the Passport which is phone I currently have. Much more interested in the Slider as that looks like it will have more powerful hardware.

Last week just got a new phone(finally!) It's an LG Tribute which I got for 40 bucks from Best Buy. It's a really solid phone, plenty of power , nice design, great battery life(I still have 40% and I've been using it all day with data and WiFi, there have been temperature changes, many videos, etc) and it has a perfect screen size for my smaller hands(like 4.5-4.7 in) The only downside I've found is the 4gb of ROM most of which has Virgin Mobile junk on it, so I'm already looking to upgrade to a used Samsung Galaxy S3 because I really need the extra internal storage badly. Seriously, FB and Twitter can't live on the 32gb SD card I have?:banghead:

My 2 year and 7 month old iPhone 4S is waterproof. One morning I dropped it into the bathtub, pulled it out, and wiped it off. Still works. Didn't make Siri any smarter, though. :lol:

After dropping my Galaxy Note 3 of almost 2 years use, I am now a proud iPhone 6 Plus 64GB in Silver user! And will be purchasing the new phone in September as I need 2 phones for my 3 SIM cards ;)

Despite being a flagship of around two years ago, the Moto X 1st Gen works perfectly fine. I'm still waiting for my 5.1 Lollipop update, as I'm currently running 4.4.2.
Moto-X-Dev-Edition-GSM-version1.png

I'm looking to get a new smartphone soon as my Galaxy S4 is getting to the point where its starting to experience all kinds of glitches and performance hiccups.

I haven't enjoyed my time with Android all that much and I don't want to overpay for an iPhone. I'm quite interested in the BlackBerry Passport, I think it would fit me well since I need something to easily keep track of schedules, do spreadsheets, etc. for my job. I've also heard that the Blackberry OS is quite stable and that unless you physically damage the phone it can easily last for 3-4 years.

Are there any other phones that I should consider? My budget is about $400 but I would prefer to pay under $300.

Last edited:
I'm looking to get a new smartphone soon as my Galaxy S4 is getting to the point where its starting to experience all kinds of glitches and performance hiccups.

I haven't enjoyed my time with Android all that much and I don't want to overpay for an iPhone. I'm quite interested in the BlackBerry Passport, I think it would fit me well since I need something to easily keep track of schedules, do spreadsheets, etc. for my job. I've also heard that the Blackberry OS is quite stable and that unless you physically damage the phone it can easily last for 3-4 years.

Are there any other phones that I should consider? My budget is about $400 but I would prefer to pay under $300.
The Moto X Play will be releasing in Canada on the 21st, though there's no word on price yet.

Just dumped my Blackberry and entered the 21st century with an iPhone.

Both company supplied, so noting fancy - a 5c 8gb.

Massive improvement over the Blackberry!!

Nokia 2630 2008 - 2011
Boring mobile still works.
Battery cover is broken.

Nokia E63 2011 - 2015
Very good mobile survived everything.
Only had to replace it because of bad mobile
charger was faulty and the phone was old.

(I didn't buy another Nokia because of Windows)

Huawei Y600

Last edited:
Motorola RAZR D1 XT918 (Dual Chip with Digital TV)

Soon to be replaced by:

SAMSUNG Gran Prime Duos (Dual Chip with Digital TV)

Back