What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
Bold. I think I got it in January 2012.
That uses the old OS, new one is completely different. Doesn't need BlackBerry data to function and IMO probably best smartphone OS out at the moment. Email is really rapid.

This video sold me on upgrading to a Blackberry Passport:

You may be interested in BlackBerry Blend app too:

Last edited:
Whoop whoop.

upload_2015-9-14_17-11-45.png

I use to have a Samsung Galaxy S2, the last one prodeced (SGH-T989) and liked it a lot when I first got it. Never have cared for apple products after I got an iPad and realized how useless the brick is (until I got duet display, so now I use it as a dual monitor, lag free, at 60fps). LG never seemed for me either but I've always like their TVs.

My grandmother just came on my family's plan, so we got her a new phone too. The LG Leon was on sale for $50 and for an entry smart phone that's pretty good imo.

So good, me and my dad both got the same phone. I don't care about the camera, and that's what people will say first. I have a camera worth 10x more than the phone, and a lens that's twice as expensive as the camera. If I want pictures, I'll put them on it through the data transfer.

Speaking of data transfer, and accessing memory, it's probably my second favorite feature. In the SG2 I had to search for ever to find out where to put pictures, and after I plugged it in to my TV to show my grandparents some photos of a trip I went on, the TV corrupted the photo directory and made all pictures as short cuts, and hides the pictures in a hidden folder, even hidden when I have the option selected to show all files on my laptop... But they auto uploaded to dropbox so that saved me...

With the LG, it's literally right in the main directory of the phone. All I have to do is hit DCIM and I'm there. I also like the additional storage for the micro sd card I have for it. Another 8gigs of room helps a lot. The main reason I really switched over though was performance. As you can imagine, a 3-4 year old phone, let alone the second gen of the G series, it got back-breaking slow. But now it has LTE, something the SG2 didn't have...

The screen isn't of the same pixel count as the SG2 is, but it's still really good and sharp, something I felt like was lacking in the SG2. Call quality seems good, on both ends. The only issue for texting or any use of the keyboard is that the swype functionality is no where near up to par compared to the SG2. So far, none of the words I've swyped have worked, which is a downer because I really liked that option..
Screenshot_2015-09-14-15-51-58.png

I just got a new phone, went from an iPhone 4S to a(n?) Xperia Z5 Compact. I have nothing against Apple phones but I don't like the size of the 6 and I didn't want to do what my brother just did and get into a 24-month contract on a 2-generations-old 5S. I had planned to get a Z3 Compact a while ago but I ended up procrastinating so long that the Z5 Compact was announced...

So far I'm pretty happy with it but I expect it'll take some time for me to become familiar enough with Android to work out what I like and what I don't. So far the larger screen (which itself is nearly the size of my old phone) but still comfortable size and the fingerprint scanner - which is on the side of the phone because reasons - are nice. The included headphones are not so nice so I think I'll carry on using my new style iPhone ones.

All in all, one and a half thumbs up pending further investigation.

I got my first "good" phone in July, and it was a 64 Gb iPhone 6. I'm loving it, it takes great pictures and the apps are great. My case is a black and blue high durability Otterbox case, and it looks like this.

Currently rocking a Samsung Galaxy S5. Bloody love this thing, albeit a little iffy in checking for system updates and going in/out of private mode since my dog tripped me up and caused me to drop it.

I ditched the iPhone 4S and got a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+

And god I love this thing. The screen is amazing, the resolution is a god send (completely annihilates the iPhone's Retina display imo) And the camera is great as well. The Pro mode gives you quite a bit of control over the settings.

Haven't posted here in a while...

Upgraded to an iPhone 6 a while back; 64gb, space gray, AT&T. Running iOS 9.0.2. I'm also using a Pebble Steel smartwatch with it almost daily.

Unrelated: I also upgraded my iPad mini to an iPad mini 3 around the same time, 64gb and space gray. Running the iOS 9.1 beta on that for now. Waiting for 9.1 to officially come out so I can drop off the Public Beta's.

I had the Samsung Galaxy S4 with Verizon, but switched to T-Mobile to save some dough (both have essentially equal coverage in my area). But now you have to buy phones outright or pay monthly, I got the $200 Galaxy Avant. It's not quite as fast or as big as the S4, but it's really close in both aspects. Totally happy with it.

Jerome

I have to say, switching from seven years of iOS to Android has been far, far less painful than I'd imagined, it synced all my numbers and even generated a list of apps I had on iOS for me to replace them. I really love the things it does, like how Facebook messenger comes up as an overlay so I don't have to keep switching from one app to another if I want to, say, send some money or copy and paste a number. The notifications are less infuriating too because of how the interface works.

I wonder if there's a way to reorganise the keyboard, though? I've got symbols on long press enabled so I'd prefer to have a bigger space bar and combine the comma and full stop (period) key, or maybe just remove the full stop completely and rely on a double space full stop instead. Right now I keep typing full stops instead of spaces which.is.annoying.

I have to say, switching from seven years of iOS to Android has been far, far less painful than I'd imagined
That was my first impression too. But after having used it for 9 months, I'm going back to iOS. I really gave it a chance, but man, what an incoherent, broken mess Android is. I've had stuff break that would never break on iOS. And not even going into the security updates failure that is the Android/vendor/carrier update model. Adding in Google/vendor/carrier data-hungryness/privacy issues in there, I'm out.

Actually might consider a Windows phone, any Windows phone users here? How's MS privacy policy these days?

That was my first impression too. But after having used it for 9 months, I'm going back to iOS. I really gave it a chance, but man, what an incoherent, broken mess Android is. I've had stuff break that would never break on iOS. And not even going into the security updates failure that is the Android/vendor/carrier update model. Adding in Google/vendor/carrier data-hungryness/privacy issues in there, I'm out.

Actually might consider a Windows phone, any Windows phone users here? How's MS privacy policy these days?
If you rely on any of Google's services for anything, you probably won't want to go with Windows Phone.
Also if you have a lot of social media connections, Windows Phone may not be the best choice.

OTHERWISE, Windows Phones are pretty good handsets, coming from a HTC 8X and Nokia Lumia 521 owner. Pretty snappy on an average day and updates you can probably count on working. Haven't found many bugs; most bugs are graphical anyway and may have been fixed by now.

Privacy Policy? I don't look at that sort of stuff, but I'm sure it's easily available somewhere...
That is, if you're willing to read a book and a half of legal stuff.

I don't worry about my own privacy (to an extent), but I'm the minority, I guess.

I am using a Huawei G740, fast, no problems, no bugs, best mobile I ever had.
Must admit I am not that much into phones. I just use them for, well... making phone calls, a little texting, the occasional Google search and now maybe for Dashmeter Pro 💡

I have to say, switching from seven years of iOS to Android has been far, far less painful than I'd imagined, it synced all my numbers and even generated a list of apps I had on iOS for me to replace them. I really love the things it does, like how Facebook messenger comes up as an overlay so I don't have to keep switching from one app to another if I want to, say, send some money or copy and paste a number. The notifications are less infuriating too because of how the interface works.

I wonder if there's a way to reorganise the keyboard, though? I've got symbols on long press enabled so I'd prefer to have a bigger space bar and combine the comma and full stop (period) key, or maybe just remove the full stop completely and rely on a double space full stop instead. Right now I keep typing full stops instead of spaces which.is.annoying.

Not entirely sure you can, but you can install another keyboard.

Glad your switch to Android is going swiftly, I've been with a Z2 for a few month now and nothing got messed up so far so your Z5 should behave ;)

WP owner here running the latest Windows 10 preview build on my Lumina 1520. Made the jump from iOS and never looked back. Expandable memory, huge 3400mA battery, 20MP camera and seamless integration with my desktop. Now if only devs could acknowledge the existence of WP users 🤬

So I finally paired my DualShock 4 with my Z5C, couldn't find much use for it though... Until I remembered I had Moonlight installed, so I naturally tried streaming MGS V and Broforce from my PC. I don't think I'll use it much at all, latency + small LCD + pad controls = not a great PC gaming experience, but it's fun that it exists.

Well, after a couple of years dealings with old broken down phones, I was finally abl e to upgrade. Nothing fancy, just a Motorola Droid Turbo. Charge times are quick, didn't come with, but has built in charging pad capabilities. Neat case. Best of all, I can actually, reliable watch YouTube videos.

As a benchmark, I can fill the first "darker" dirt area of fallout shelter with rooms before running into lag.

Last edited:
I own a Silver iPhone 6 Plus and have recently purchased a new Rose Gold iPhone 6S Plus for the 2nd of my 3 SIMs that I use regularly. Really loving both phones.
My brother has got the 6S Plus after having the 6 before. He got the Plus version this time around as it is much more stronger than previous 6 Plus model and for the better battery life. It is also the worlds fastest phone by quite some margin and most power efficient for the performance. I'm envious!

I just upgraded from a Nexus 5 to the Nexus 5X, totally worth it and it's a great phone. My Nexus 5 was starting to get a bit long in the tooth, but I didn't want to upgrade to the Nexus 6 since it's the size of Texas and I didn't want that in my pocket. I can't stand any of the other Android phones on the market since companies feel the need to load them up with their proprietary bloatware so I was trying to hold onto my 5 as long as possible. I'm glad Google came through and delivered a fairly solid product. It is missing some stuff that other flagship phones have now days, but considering I really only use my phone for e-mail, texts, navigation, and the occasional game or two, I don't think I really need any of that stuff.

I own a Silver iPhone 6 Plus and have recently purchased a new Rose Gold iPhone 6S Plus for the 2nd of my 3 SIMs that I use regularly. Really loving both phones.
I've settled for the Rose Gold iPhone 6s 128GB. Absolutely loving it so far. 👍

Sony Xperia Z5
My new phone just arrived this morning. It is a slinky piece of kit. I upgraded from a Sony Xperia T - I only buy Sony - I have had for a little over 2 years after repeatedly saying I must change it. The Z5 launched about 1 month ago and I always planned to get it but after a girl in work showed me hers on Tuesday I went straight home and ordered mine. Just need to wait for the case and tempered glass screen protector now.

My Xperia T was giving up the fight and I was having issues backing up so I had to manually transfer some contacts which is tedious but my OCD means it is all in perfect order now.

The Z5 camera is immense though at 23MP and I took a few comparison test photos with both the T and Z5. The Z5 blows the T's 13MP offering out of the water which is saying a lot as the T is still a great camera phone.

I wish it would hurry up charging as I want to play!

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 Black Edition (or Value Edition in some countries) fitted with a sweet Speck CandyShell Grip case, running Androind 5.0.1 that came with Samsung's latest update in May (and also probably the last update for the SGS4). I planned on rooting it and putting Cyanogenmod on it, but there are no CM's available for the Black Edition version of the S4. I'm currently thinking of getting a new phone sometime next year or so, because I'm someone who always wants the newest stuff in terms of Android. The new Huawei phones are actually looking pretty good on the specs side for example. Would probably go for Samsung though, only had good experiences with Samsung phones.

A couple of months on and I've developed a couple of issues with my Z5 Compact.

First of all, the fingerprint scanner is pretty much useless, I'm sure it's because I almost always have either dirty, wet or just clammy hands from work, but I just don't even try to use it any more because 8 out of 10 times I fail all five attempts (which just means you have to use the code) and the other two I manage to get it on the fifth try.

The other problem - that I'm hoping you can help me with - is that the phone just doesn't switch to headphones automatically any more. Even from day one it was a little inconsistent in that it wouldn't always catch on that there were headphones plugged in (cycling the connector fixed it) but the other day, while it was in my hand, the headphones went dead and sound started coming out of the speakers instead. Installing SoundAbout has let me switch to headphones manually (except it doesn't let the phone call app decide - that will use the media app setting so I can no longer quickly unplug my headphones (which are my old Apple headset so I do have a mic at least) to take a call) but I think the free trial is going to run out.

Is there a fix for that? Secondary to that issue is another where the headphones will just disconnect entirely, briefly, for absolutely no reason or the music will pause or skip track. It's like the connector is loose but wobbling it around by hand or even gently pulling it out doesn't reproduce the same behaviour, which is frustrating as hell. I'm sure that's more Apple's fault for having headset DRM but still, it's making me look toward a bluetooth-based solution.

Latest Posts

Back