What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
Another bit I like about the Oneplus 3 is the capacitive buttons. I don't mind on-screen navigation keys but it really bothers me that the screen real estate is wasted by that black bar.. And yeah, 64GB storage standard is nice, as well, especially at the price they're selling. The 6GB RAM is good too, because my 6P already consumes 2.5GB with just a few apps running.

What about the camera? Is it fast? and does it shoot well in low or bad lighting conditions?

Camera is very fast, in part down to the immense performance of the device and in part to the relative simplicity of the built in Camera interface. It's generally very good in daylight, but I happen to think the colours are a little oversaturated. To be fair, that might just be me nitpicking (as people I've shown photos to don't seem to notice that), but it's something to note. Very low light can make it look a bit fuzzy and noisy, though, so if you are taking a lot of photos in very poor lighting conditions, just be aware that it isn't the device's strong suit. It's not terrible, by any means, but it looks much better in good light.

I find the capacitive buttons extremely nifty, actually, and I particularly like the fact you can swap the "back" and "show running apps" commands between the two buttons. I prefer having the back function on the left button, for instance. Also, it has the best fingerprint reader of any device I've ever used, the fact that it's capacitive means you can literally just rest your thumb on the button for a moment and you're straight in. No pressing a button to go to a lock screen like on a Samsung or Apple device... it's lightning fast and has only ever failed to read my fingerprint once or twice.

Would like to know your opinions on it once you get it and used it for a while.

I am hoping to get it before the shipping date of Nov 23-25 (Which happens to be Thanksgiving)
So as soon as I can get to it I will play around and see how it compared to the Nexus 5x.

Which by the way if anyone has one of those 5x 6p or C or any other that can use the beta program 7.1.1 was released.

I am hoping to get it before the shipping date of Nov 23-25 (Which happens to be Thanksgiving)
So as soon as I can get to it I will play around and see how it compared to the Nexus 5x.

Which by the way if anyone has one of those 5x 6p or C or any other that can use the beta program 7.1.1 was released.

I've thought about entering the beta program but I think I'll wait until it reaches public release. Hopefully the battery drain issue on Nougat is resolved until then.

Well, currently I have a number of phones I actively use on a daily basis, but the one on my plan is a BlackBerry Z30. Pretty soon, however, I'm going to be eligible for an upgrade, so I'm thinking about getting either a BlackBerry Priv, a LG V10, or an iPhone SE. The reason the iPhone is in my list of potentials is because for one, I haven't had an iOS phone ever, and two, I like the hardware design of the SE to not get a 6 or 7, despite the new hardware features in both the latter phones. I'm leaning towards the Priv mostly because of the keyboard though.
Don't get the PRIV, keyboards crap on it. Also runs hot, probably the V10 does too. G5 felt a lot quicker to use than the PRIV and ran really cool. There is the BlackBerry DTEK60 which you might be interested in given you got the Z30 but it is not a proper BlackBerry hardware-wise but software-wise it is regarding Android. I'm going to get a BlackBerry Mercury (DTEK70?) next, probably release at similar time as phones with 10nm Snapdragon 830 chips at similar price point (I wonder if that will make the Pixel price fall heavily in a few months time) but keyboard FTW and looks like it may be last proper BlackBerry mobile hardware. Might have less GPU power than the Passport, however I'll take the extra battery life and native WhatsApp support.

SE is like a pocket rocket (My younger brother has one), but think it is better to get 6S or a 7 if going iPhone route as SE screen resolution is a bit too low and has impact on usability.

I've thought about entering the beta program but I think I'll wait until it reaches public release. Hopefully the battery drain issue on Nougat is resolved until then.

As of right now I don't see anything good in 7.1.1 right now although it was just released so in about a few weeks maybe will be different.

Edit: My Pixel went into Processing this morning. Should be possibly getting shipped out on Friday and having it next week Wednesday if not Thursday.

Last edited:
Phew, confirmed there will be one last in-house BlackBerry phone so definitely going to get that. If only they can release it this year somehow so can upgrade straight to it before WhatsApp support finishes on BB10.

Had my pixel over a day and I have to say,
It's very nice.
Still trying to get used to it.
AMOLED screen is amazing. (Coming from IPSLCD)
At lease I got a case for it shortly after getting the phone.
Assistant is still learning.
Transfer was quick.
Real rest begins on Monday.

S7 arrived yesterday. Upgrading from a 4S so the difference is massive. Thoughts:

Anyway, my S7 arrived yesterday afternoon and I've been playing around with it enough to say I bloody love it. Camera is fantastic - the Messenger app is so much nicer to use than the iOS version, especially with the chat heads (I keep on thinking of Talking Heads when I see it being referred to in my notifications, haha.)

Display is very bright and vibrant. Still getting used to the saturation on all of the apps compared to the relatively dull 4S display. Speed is fantastic. Everything boots up quickly and fast - with great RAM management that manages to keep all of my apps well managed. Looks gorgeous. Boy is it a finger print magnet though :boggled: I'll have to buy a case for it at some stage. Something simple will do, as I'll probably design a wrap for it.

I have noticed some of the rough animations that were noted from time to time but honestly it happens so rarely it doesn't bother me. The increased functionality of the phone more than makes up for it.

Only thing I'm finding kind of funky is the screenshot movement, but I think that can be toggled out? Besides, the fact there's a game launcher that means you can disable notifications and screenshots just for gaming is a massive win. I play a rhythm touch game a lot so it's quite nice not to have to worry about notifications, or in the case of my iPhone forgetting to turn them on.

The always on display is a massive, massive win - I thought it was a gimmick at first but it's fantastic. Plus the light is great - means I don't always have to turn on my phone to check alerts.

Unless audio from flagships is extremely high quality these days I've had no complaints from the mono speaker. Sounds absolutely fine to me.

For fun, my phone time line:

1. Nokia 1100
  2. Nokia 6230i
  3. Nokia 7230
  4. Nokia 520
  5. iPhone 4S
  6. Samsung Galaxy S7

SVX
S7 arrived yesterday. Upgrading from a 4S so the difference is massive. Thoughts:

Anyway, my S7 arrived yesterday afternoon and I've been playing around with it enough to say I bloody love it. Camera is fantastic - the Messenger app is so much nicer to use than the iOS version, especially with the chat heads (I keep on thinking of Talking Heads when I see it being referred to in my notifications, haha.)

Display is very bright and vibrant. Still getting used to the saturation on all of the apps compared to the relatively dull 4S display. Speed is fantastic. Everything boots up quickly and fast - with great RAM management that manages to keep all of my apps well managed. Looks gorgeous. Boy is it a finger print magnet though :boggled: I'll have to buy a case for it at some stage. Something simple will do, as I'll probably design a wrap for it.

I have noticed some of the rough animations that were noted from time to time but honestly it happens so rarely it doesn't bother me. The increased functionality of the phone more than makes up for it.

Only thing I'm finding kind of funky is the screenshot movement, but I think that can be toggled out? Besides, the fact there's a game launcher that means you can disable notifications and screenshots just for gaming is a massive win. I play a rhythm touch game a lot so it's quite nice not to have to worry about notifications, or in the case of my iPhone forgetting to turn them on.

The always on display is a massive, massive win - I thought it was a gimmick at first but it's fantastic. Plus the light is great - means I don't always have to turn on my phone to check alerts.

Unless audio from flagships is extremely high quality these days I've had no complaints from the mono speaker. Sounds absolutely fine to me.

For fun, my phone time line:

1. Nokia 1100
  2. Nokia 6230i
  3. Nokia 7230
  4. Nokia 520
  5. iPhone 4S
  6. Samsung Galaxy S7

Interesting idea to put a phone timeline. I suppose I'll do mine as well.

1. Samsung D900i
2. Sidekick lx
3. Blackberry Tour 9630
4. Sony Xperia Acro SC-02C
5. Samsung Galaxy S2
6. Samsung Galaxy Note 3
7. iPhone 6 Plus (Still using)
8. iPhone 6s Plus (Still using)

Thinking about a One Plus 3T for my next mobile.

WhatsApp support has been extended for BB10 and some other platforms until end of June 2017 so don't need a new phone for a while now. Got couple of cheap Android phones as backup plan though already, the HTC Desire 626 and the LG G4. G4 makes a good remote and camera device. The front camera on it is way better than the 626 rear camera.

I just hope BlackBerry will upgrade their Mercury device to a Snapdragon 835 and go out producing a decent flagship in-house which should last a long time without feeling too outdated, seems unlikely though. Will be good if Mercury isn't their last in-house phone though or if who they partner up with produces even better phones. Long live keyboard phones.

probably but I said "8" because next year will be an anniversary year for Apple or Apple iPhone so I'm expecting an 8 with crazy lack of cool features and maybe the return of the audio jack*

If it's Apple.
I can see the iPhone 8 being an Apple with a 5" screen with the only "cool" feature being edible. :lol:

Just hope they don't have the Samesungs Note 7 Battery. :lol:

Should be interesting.

Anyways had my pixel for just about 3 weeks (Come this Friday) and I am still impressed. Battery life is amazing. Can go a full day with school and still have over 50%.

Just waiting for my free Daydream. :)

iPhone SE. I almost got a 6, but I don't like how big it is compared to my previous iPhone 4S. Might as well carry an iPad Mini in your pocket.

iPhone SE. I almost got a 6, but I don't like how big it is compared to my previous iPhone 4S. Might as well carry an iPad Mini in your pocket.

I had the same opinion before my S7 (even came from a 4S). It takes getting used to but you end up coming to not being able to deal with anything smaller. I have small hands and primarily use it one handed and I haven't looked back.

SVX
I had the same opinion before my S7 (even came from a 4S). It takes getting used to but you end up coming to not being able to deal with anything smaller. I have small hands and primarily use it one handed and I haven't looked back.
Same with my OnePlus 3. I was able to adjust to the increase in phone size pretty quickly (previous phone was an Xperia SP with a 4.6" display), trying out friend's phones (which were similar in size to my current phone) helped me get used to bigger phones much faster.

I'm tempted to flash CyanogenMod 14.1 onto my OnePlus 2, but I already rooted it and I don't want to go through the pains of rooting it again or whatever hiccups that might come up.

I'm tempted to flash CyanogenMod 14.1 onto my OnePlus 2, but I already rooted it and I don't want to go through the pains of rooting it again or whatever hiccups that might come up.
CyanogenMod has root access under the Developer Options, so you don't need to root it again. If your phone's bootloader has been unlocked, all you need to do is reset it through a custom recovery, then flash the ROM + GAPPS (after backing everything up, that is).

Got a Huawei Nova Plus for Christmas. :) So far an excellent phone, and definitely a step up from my trusty Samsung Galaxy S4.

IMG_20161225_010814.jpg

Back