What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
I'm thinking about flashing my OnePlus 2 to LineageOS, but I'm not sure if Xposed Framework works on Nougat. I'm also thinking about getting the OnePlus 5T for Christmas. I just want everything lol.

It does, but I believe that it breaks SafetyNet.
After doing a bit of reading on this, I've realized that my rooted OnePlus 2 also doesn't pass the SafetyNet. Magisk bypasses SafetyNet right? So it'll probably be easier for me to just flash the new ROM and then root with Magisk.

After doing a bit of reading on this, I've realized that my rooted OnePlus 2 also doesn't pass the SafetyNet. Magisk bypasses SafetyNet right? So it'll probably be easier for me to just flash the new ROM and then root with Magisk.
Yep, Magisk passes SafetyNet. If you want to stick with your current ROM and pass SafetyNet with root, you should be able to uninstall SuperSU (I'm assuming this is what you used to gain root access) and then install Magisk.

Yep, Magisk passes SafetyNet. If you want to stick with your current ROM and pass SafetyNet, you should be able to keep root access by uninstalling SuperSU (I'm assuming this is what you used to gain root access) and then install Magisk.
I think I'm going to flash to LineageOS since it's on Nougat and then root with Magisk. I'm still on Marshmallow.

I think I'm going to flash to LineageOS since it's on Nougat and then root with Magisk. I'm still on Marshmallow.
Fair enough. If you want something that feels like OxygenOS, I recommend trying out a Nougat build of Paranoid Android. After all, OnePlus themselves hired some of the old Paranoid Android team.

I use two outdated Xperia models, which are slow as hell. Been thinking of what to replace it. Maybe the latest Alcatel Idol will do for me someday.

I just upgraded to an iPhone 8 Plus a few weeks ago after sticking to my iPhone 5c for almost 5 years.

Yeah, it was time for an upgrade. I don't know how I was able to skip several generations.

I flashed my OnePlus 2 to LineageOS 14.1. I'm really loving Nougat. It's rooted using Magisk, but I need to use Xposed Framework for a few modules that I love but it seems like Xposed doesn't pass SafetyNet. Oh well.

Thought I would ask here,

Has anyone ever had an app auto update to the latest version even if you have selected to not update apps in the Play Store settings?

Yesterday out of the blue YouTube and Google Home apps on my phone updated without my permission. They don't even show in the 'recently updated' list. No other Google apps updated. Is it possible for an app to override your update settings?

I wouldn't have thought so if you chose to not update all apps.

Is there no option to go into each app individually and choose whether or not to update automatically?

That's odd. I've never experienced that before. Since YouTube and Home are both Google apps and Chromecast compatible, maybe your Chromecast or something else caused them to update?

Thanks for the replies, it really had me stumped.

I wouldn't have thought so if you chose to not update all apps.

Is there no option to go into each app individually and choose whether or not to update automatically?

If you long press on the menu key whilst on an apps download page in the Play Store up pops a tickbox to auto update just that app. I guess that means you can individually set them but mine were not ticked.

That's odd. I've never experienced that before. Since YouTube and Home are both Google apps and Chromecast compatible, maybe your Chromecast or something else caused them to update?

That might very well have been the cause. I used my Chromecast Audio the other day and maybe opening it did something without my knowledge. I was using the old Google Cast app which I prefer to the Home app it morphed into.

NP
@Robin, if you've noticed changes to the layout of an app, it's most likely due to a server-side change and not related to a "normal" app update. Google apparently likes to do A/B testing when it comes to the individual layouts of their apps.

I uninstalled YouTube and installed a previous version and is has gone back to the way it was (the Red version with the menu on top) so it does appear to have updated on its own.

I know it's not a big deal but it was creepy and I thought maybe Google are going all Windows 10 on everyone!

Maybe they have the ability to override update settings if they have outright discontinued support for a version of an app and it 'phones home' when opened.

One technical question, do mobile phones radiate more as they get older? On the internet you can find radiation index for a good number of phones, but do these levels increase as the phone gets older and more prone to malfunctioning?

I noticed that while speaking on an older mobile phone my ear "wears out" faster than when talking on a modern one.

I am trying to swap out a micro sd on an Android phone for a higher capacity card. I want to keep everything the same on the new card, do I need to clone the card using some software or can I just copy the files across?

This phone is old running Ice Cream Sandwich which had the 'Install to SD' option for apps and most of the apps are on the card. I have been told this is not to be confused with the later Android 'Adopted Storage' feature which is harder to transfer to a new card because its encrypted.

One technical question, do mobile phones radiate more as they get older? On the internet you can find radiation index for a good number of phones, but do these levels increase as the phone gets older and more prone to malfunctioning?

I noticed that while speaking on an older mobile phone my ear "wears out" faster than when talking on a modern one.

I would have though the opposite would be true and the radiation would drop as the signal components degrade much like with Wi-Fi routers or cordless telephones which often drop in performance or die after a few years use.

NP
@Robin, you can simply copy the needed files to the new card. The operating system will create new folders and files as needed. 👍

What about the apps on the SD card? Will those be detected fine? Most have a few MB on the phone and the rest spilt on to the card.

I will obviously give it a go with the new card before wiping the old one just incase it doesn't play ball.

Does anyone still pay any attention to classic phones? I find them interesting nowadays since they have all the primary functions, nice battery life and cost significantly less than any average smartphone. Has anyone had any experience with Doro 530x or Alcatel's OT series? Nokia has few as well, though I'm not really interested in the new 3310, people haven't been impressed with it lately.

I would have though the opposite would be true and the radiation would drop as the signal components degrade much like with Wi-Fi routers or cordless telephones which often drop in performance or die after a few years use.
Thanks, I hope that's true. Maybe if all phones have a built-in protection of some sort that diminishes as the phone gets older, the exposure to radiation could increase over time.

Replaced my 3 1/2 year old HTC One M8 with one of these:
qpD3UdUl.jpg

Currently running a iPhone X for personal use and a Samsung Galaxy S7 for work.

One question, is it more recommendable to buy a microphone for voice recording or a smart phone? Smart phones are more expensive, but you can use them for other things, and seeing I may soon replace my phone, I want to know what kind of quality difference are we talking about when comparing these two devices? What technical specification is usually considered to be a benchmark for quality recording and clear sound?

One question, is it more recommendable to buy a microphone for voice recording or a smart phone? Smart phones are more expensive, but you can use them for other things, and seeing I may soon replace my phone, I want to know what kind of quality difference are we talking about when comparing these two devices? What technical specification is usually considered to be a benchmark for quality recording and clear sound?

I assume you mean a Voice Recorder / Dictaphone like one of these?

upload_2018-1-14_16-13-47.png

Without a doubt a dedicated recorder will be better than the microphone on a smartphone, they are also more compact. They are relatively affordable but if you want the best recording quality go for one with binaural microphones which record the left and right channel and one that records at higher MP3 bitrates.

Back