What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
I decided to go for the Galaxy S9 this time round, rather than the bigger model. I prefer the slightly smaller size and the screen is still big enough for what I need it for. I've de-activated Bixby as much as I can because I much prefer Google to deal with everything, especially over Android Auto. The best bit is that thanks to playing providers off against each other I managed to get an extra 7GB a month data and a new S9 for an extra £2 a month over my previous contract (the list price was an extra £15 a month).

Bizarrely, Carphone Warehouse sent me endless emails about "great deals" on my upgrade but when I went into the store they said they couldn't process any upgrades and I'd have to ring the customer service line instead. So they lost my custom :P

Interesting trend reversal at the moment, there is something so nice about using a 'dumb' phone...

Sky News
'Dumb phone' sales on the rise as smartphone users hope to switch off

Mobile handsets that simply make calls are being marketed as an escape from constantly being connected to social media and apps. Walk down any high street and you'll most likely see people glued to their smartphones. The devices have become so indispensable to users that recent research showed on average people check them every 12 minutes.

But now more old fashioned technology is making a comeback. Sales of so-called dumb phones have seen an increase for the first time in years. Phones that simply make and receive calls are known in the industry as feature phones and are being marketed as a means to switch off from the constant connectivity we've all grown used to. While global sales of smartphones rose by just 2% last year feature phone sales went up by 5%.

Mary Erskine from Twickenham is among customers opting for a dumb phone to escape round the clock access to social media. She said: "I just hated the fact that I was always on it. "My friend said the other day 'you check it 150 times a day'. "You're always on Facebook pages and Instagram and you're just on everything. "And the more you do it the more you feel like you need to do it. "(Switching to a dumb phone) is not full cold turkey because - I do have my iPad but it's more about choice. "If I want to go out with just the dumb phone then you can make a choice and have a day without all the noise of all the notifications and apps."

Dr Daria Kuss, a chartered psychologist who has studied compulsive use of smartphones, believes some smartphone users develop a genuine addiction to their phones. "They may be aware that they're using it too much however they can't stop themselves," she said.

Interesting trend reversal at the moment, there is something so nice about using a 'dumb' phone...

I can certainly see the appeal of these for some people; my mum doesn't want a smartphone but does like to be able to make calls from time to time. Personally I'd miss my Spotify playlist too much to make the switch, and my photography clients wouldn't be too happy either ;)

It think a lot of people are getting smartphone fatigue and want to step back to something simpler, and less intrusive.

When smartphones first arrived they were interesting, fun and genuinely useful. These days I just get the feeling that I hand over wads of cash (yeah, I'm an iPhone user) just for the benefit of my employer to have at me 24/7 - If they had to actually phone me, or write one of those old fashioned SMS messages then they'd think twice about the importance of the communication.

Press calls them dumb phones but they aren't all that dumb. If you look at phones from the mid 00's those would probably fall under 'dumb' today but they were actually very feature rich outside of what we would call 'smart' functionality. Even new dumb phones do stuff other than calls and texts, so there is an ability to be entertained and get stuff done to a certain degree without apps or internet connectivity.

I agree it's hard to not only reduce smartphone use but also escape from people like employers etc because everyone expects you to be connected 24/7 and it's wearing people out. I also think it's people yearning for their past, it takes you back to your youth and reminds you how much lighter everything felt. The older generation always liked these phones but what's interesting now is younger generations are also buying them.

I think maybe leaving the smartphone at home for morning/evening/outside work use and rocking a dumb phone for the daytime would be a good balance, obviously if your profession doesn't absolutely require it.

Last edited:
Might do the trade in program with Google again,
Trade my Pixel 2 to get the Pixel 3 (From latest leaks it's much better than the XL)

No idea on pricing or storage but some reports are saying the price will be the same as the first 2.

Press calls them dumb phones but they aren't all that dumb

Press call my iPhone a smart phone... it has a daily alarm and can track the steps I do and what I'm doing with the device.
If it was a smart phone, I think it'd be able to figure out that if I snooze my phone, get up and walk it to the bathroom and then play music on max volume... the alarm doesn't need to go off again stopping the music...

Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL has just landed on the FCC.
Meaning it's happening for those who want it.

Pixel 3 XL features a 6.7" screen (With Notch)
Pixel 3 features a 5.5" screen (Without Notch)
Snapdragon 845.
4GB ram
3000 mAh (Pixel 3) (Rumored)
3400 mAh (Pixel 3XL) Rumored)
Wireless Charging
IP67
Dual front camera
Android 9.0 (Rumored 9.1)

Just some of the features that have been done.

Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL has just landed on the FCC.
Meaning it's happening for those who want it.

Pixel 3 XL features a 6.7" screen (With Notch)
Pixel 3 features a 5.5" screen (Without Notch)
Snapdragon 845.
4GB ram
3000 mAh (Pixel 3) (Rumored)
3400 mAh (Pixel 3XL) Rumored)
Wireless Charging
IP67
Dual front camera
Android 9.0 (Rumored 9.1)

Just some of the features that have been done.

What is the point/purpose of dual front camera?

What is the point/purpose of dual front camera?

Selfies. :lol:
Different settings and lighting for each camera and whatnot.
There really isn't any well known idea for dual front.
I was more thinking dual back I can see more.

Selfies. :lol:
Different settings and lighting for each camera and whatnot.
There really isn't any well known idea for dual front.
I was more thinking dual back I can see more.

Are people really that narcissistic?

Yeah, I guess they are.

Is a cell phone only a simple cell phone or is it also a smartphone? Or is a smartphone a smartphone and not a cell phone?

I dont have a mobile phone/cell phone... Horrid things . Turned people into sneaky liars, see it at work every day, 30 + year olds lying like 5 year old children, unbelievable really, ..

LG Stylo 3. Perfectly cromulent for the ~$100 it cost at the time of purchase (technically by stepdad because he sold me on it) and my prior phone met the ground screen-first twice in two days, seems flummoxed at the moment about whether or not pressing the recent apps means that it should do so or treat it as a suggestion. Much like the power button being somewhat gummy a while back, will probably fix itself soon.

Bit off topic, but I think the XR is the one to get over the XS... though I think the X is the best of both words, so I'm glad I got on it! :lol:
Yeah, the R has all the same important specs as the S and yet it's cheaper. The only problem is the screen which is only 720p.

I just flashed Android 9.0 to my OnePlus 6. I'm not a fan of the new recent apps draw and how it scrolls horizontally. I tried using the new pill navigation buttons, but I think I'm going to keep using OnePlus's gesture navigation

Yeah, the R has all the same important specs as the S and yet it's cheaper. The only problem is the screen which is only 720p.

I just flashed Android 9.0 to my OnePlus 6. I'm not a fan of the new recent apps draw and how it scrolls horizontally. I tried using the new pill navigation buttons, but I think I'm going to keep using OnePlus's gesture navigation
You just posted the 100,000th message in the Computers & Technology forum.

2018-09-21 23.28.50.png

You should ask Jordan if there isn't some sort of prize for that. :sly:

Last edited:
iPhone 6S. I've had it since my 16th birthday and still runs fine. That was over 2 years ago for anyone wondering.

I currently have a Galaxy S8+, I've had it for over a year now and it's a great phone. Historically I've always upgraded to the newest phone available but I think next time I'll get something a generation behind for a cheaper tariff.

I think the S8+ has hit the ceiling for what I want out of a phone so there's no need to pay £50 per month for the latest phone that will just do what I want a bit faster so paying less per month for something better than what I have that's not the latest makes sense to me next time.

Perhaps the only thing that could tempt me otherwise is if something comes out with a considerably better camera.

I swore I'd switch to Android after Apple killed the headphone jack, but uh...

My XS Max arrives tomorrow. Should be a decent enough upgrade from my 6S (minus the headphone jack bit), and for the first time ever I'm gonna be using a case on my phone instead of rocking it naked... my 6S still works fine with its modestly cracked screen, but it's definitely a bit of a buzzkill. I want the XS Max to last me for a good while.

Going to pre-order the Pixel 3 and/or buy the Pixel 3 later this week or early next week.
Got a lot of good things and it does mean Qi charging.
A return after the Nexus days.

So, I bought an iPhone X - my first ever iOS mobile phone (8 years of Android, 2 of BB10). I was gonna get an Xs but the price difference is pretty much utterly pointless. I got a good deal on the X with no upfront cost and 50% off cinema tickets for 24 months - score!

So far im really struggling since productivity just seems a lot harder than Android but more than anything I think I just need to get used to the damn thing. I’m very far from being a power user, put it that way. :lol:

So, I bought an iPhone X - my first ever iOS mobile phone (8 years of Android, 2 of BB10). I was gonna get an Xs but the price difference is pretty much utterly pointless. I got a good deal on the X with no upfront cost and 50% off cinema tickets for 24 months - score!

So far im really struggling since productivity just seems a lot harder than Android but more than anything I think I just need to get used to the damn thing. I’m very far from being a power user, put it that way. :lol:

Maybe you need to buy the book called "iPhone for dummies" :lol:

The way that the new iPhones are, well I don't see much usefulness.
As the Xr has the screen of an iPhone 4? 720p resolution for 749.
Pixel 3 full HD screen for 50 more. (Since there are a lot of people that use their phones to watch Netflix on it so why not use the FHD)

Maybe you need to buy the book called "iPhone for dummies" :lol:

The way that the new iPhones are, well I don't see much usefulness.
As the Xr has the screen of an iPhone 4? 720p resolution for 749.
Pixel 3 full HD screen for 50 more. (Since there are a lot of people that use their phones to watch Netflix on it so why not use the FHD)
To make them cheaper.

To make them cheaper.

I know for the "cheaper" route but just the reviews on it already before it's out was kinda like, you get all the things of the iPhone X in more colors but the catch is that you have the screen of an iPhone 4.
To me, I would rather do an extra 50 to get FHD. IMO.

Edit: I went with the Pixel 3 and it's shipping out tonight estimated is Friday.

Edit2.
With having the Pixel 3 just for a bit, notice that there has it's good things.
It seems to be an issue with memory leakage when multiple apps are open.
Spotify crashes when taking a picture or two.
Overall the screen quality (For me anyways)
Is good
Don't have the mic issue.
Sound quality is (To me about the same as the pixel 2) But some say it's 40% better.
Still learning everything and we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Back