What's the hardest car to drive in EPR?

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 25 comments
I found the Caterham Super 7 Superlight R500 to be a real b:censored: to drive. It's quite a powerful and capable car, but your mettle will really be tested in trying to keep this car under control. Both the BMW M1 Procar and 3.0 CSL Race Car are also two tough machines to keep on the road effectively.

If I'm spoling the game for you, then I'm sorry. You'll just need to keep racing as best as you can with whatever cars you're using.

What i love about the Cobra is that the compression braking in 1st gear at high revs gives almost the same result as pulling on the handbrake. I really haven't driven all that many cars in Enthusia but i have driven both the Cobra and the Caterham and both need to be treated with respect. The Caterham is oh so rewarding when you get it all right though. I'd assume that the TVR's would be handfuls as well.

from my experience of EPR(since my copy was sooo scratched i couldnt seen my reflection), i was have to say the mclaren slr if all aids are off and you're using the DS2

The TVR Tamora is the race team member of the Cobra.
It is another be respectful of it's performance potential car.
I was going to mention the BMW Procar and the CSL but someone already found out how much "fun" those two can be.

I'm not saying the two BMW race cars aren't fun. I'm just saying that they can be pretty tough to drive. I think the 3.0 CSL oversteers easily while the M1 Procar can have some understeer (and even noticable oversteer). The Caterham is really tough to drive. You'll learn that the hard way when you get to do the final Driving Revolution stage (Stage 18).

Or is it only used in Stage 18? Haven't done Driving Revolution in a while. I know you have to use a Caterham in one of the final tests.

I've been driving the Tommy Kaira ZZ Coupe: the back end has an alarming tendency to overtake the front under high speed braking... :scared:

Now that I think of it, the Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray that you use in Stage 16-2 (Pacific Gateway) of Driving Revolution can be tough to race with. You run the risk of severe oversteer if you're not careful navigating these corners in San Francisco. Seems like a lot of the older cars are usually tougher to drive because of the skinny tires. Except maybe the Alpine A110(?).

A Level 10 Cobra with all of the suspension settings set to "Oversteer." :sly:

...Seems like a lot of the older cars are usually tougher to drive because of the skinny tires. Except maybe the Alpine A110(?).
I think Konami may have also tried to give them era-appropriate tires -- bias-ply tires, radials that are outdated by modern standards, etc...

Either way, it makes for some effective and unique drift cars...like this C2 Corvette. So fun to drive... :)

While it generally is stable, I've noticed that the DeTamaso Pantera GTS becomes very twitchy in downhill/high braking areas.

you'll also find the pontiac trans am is a bit of a handfull because of its abundance of weight multiplyed by torque and crossply tyres.....2nd the 2 beemas ( the trick is to keep enough throttle through the corners after braking in as much as a straight line as possible....never lift off mid corner, and i mean NEVER!!! lol)

Cobra 427 = easily the most vicious car in EPR.

On a related subject EVO this month did a special on 'Scary Cars' and the winner (if that's the right word) was indeed the Cobra.

Regards

Scaff

The Cobra may not be as difficult as it seems. The car's tendency to either spin or snap back the other direction at the end of a corner (assuming you've entered a power oversteer) is caused by the car's abnormally heavy wheels. As you throttle throughout the corner sideways, the rear wheels are spinning much faster than the car is moving, and the wheels' mass causes them to build up such momentum that letting off the throttle at the end of corner isn't enough to slow the rear wheels down enough to regain grip. To deal with that nasty problem, I give the handbrake a very brief tap (just enough to slow the rear wheels to traveling speed; this is fairly difficult to do well), let off the throttle, and watch as the chassis regains composure. Or, to avoid power oversteer altogether, I corner while depressing both the throttle and brakes simeltaneously. This method is much easier, but I like drifting too much^_^

The Abarth 1000TCR requires a lot of respect, lots of lift-oversteer there!

The CSL race car is nice. If you go into a corner too hot you just lift a smidge and it'll tighten the line pronto. If you're ham-footed it'll be a complete prick though!

I don't mind the cobra. It's a hoot to drift in 3rd gear circles at airport square. I got it nailed so well i can drift it no-hands until i get bored. I really like this physics engine...

^yeah its pretty good....have you had a chance to play GT5p for a comparison? Whould love to know your veiws on that!

The Cobra is an obvious one...

...a tuned Porsche, the RUF turbo R (too much understeer, no matter what despite the AWD removing the excess oversteer)...

aaand the Porsche given the name "yellow bird", the RUF CTR.....

Also, the Pantera GTS is very, very scary to drive. I don't actually know what it's like to grip race in it, but when you drift (rather unavoidable), it settles into a massive drift angle. It's just disarming the stability it finds at huge drift angles. Mainly, because it has no stability elsewhere. Psychologically, I'd say that's the hardest car to drive.

@AWDfreak: The Turbo R does understeer heavily, but you can "fix" it by fully tightening the limited slips at both ends. It still isn't particularly eager to corner, but it enables the car to pull off pavement-ripping four-wheel drifts, especially at level 10. :)

I apologize for resurrecting such old thread, but this seems to be a good place for this:

Could the Jaguar X-Type be wrongly depicted in Enthusia?

According to this source and notes members posted below the article, we should expect some oversteer when leaving a corner, but I think Enthusia exaggerated the motion quite a lot. The X-Type behaves like a RWD car, it is really hard to control it on snow or wet when opening the throttle. I checked the VGS, all four tires turn red when applying the throttle so they didn't make a mistake modelling it as RWD car.

It is a joyful car when tuned properly, but I would like to know how realistic its behaviour really is.

@Matej so odd that you chose today to bump this, I was playing GT4 last night and spent a while deliberating about buying a copy of Enthusia since I never got to play it back in the old days. It's a bit expensive, though...

@Matej so odd that you chose today to bump this, I was playing GT4 last night and spent a while deliberating about buying a copy of Enthusia since I never got to play it back in the old days. It's a bit expensive, though...
We are all becoming aware of how great the game really is. :D I hope you will find affordable copy. It is really worth the money, especially when compared to GT4.

I had figured the X-Type was RWD-biased, but I expected it to be more rear-biased than that.

I had figured the X-Type was RWD-biased, but I expected it to be more rear-biased than that.
Are you sure? Even with default (fully open) differential the car is really prone to oversteering. I remember completely spinning out on the snow circuit. It would dangerously oversteer not because it didn't have traction (it had plenty of traction actually) but because the rear axle would take huge initiative as soon as I would step on the throttle.

I'm really happy AWD cars in the game have properly diverse characteristics, but I'm under impression the motion on the Jag should have been milder.

@Matej -- Am I sure about what? I agree that the rear end is pretty lively, and is more eager to oversteer than I would normally expect from a car with a 40:60 split.

@Matej -- Am I sure about what? I agree that the rear end is pretty lively, and is more eager to oversteer than I would normally expect from a car with a 40:60 split.
Ah, it is okay then. Your last post suggested you expected the car to be more prone to RWD behaviour than it already had been. I may have misinterpreted it though.

Back