What's the hardest event in GT history?

• Thread starter SCER
  • 431 comments

Which is hardest?

• Total voters
I remember it being some weird ribbon thing, not a trophy in the menu. Did this happen for anyone else? or am I completely misremembering?

The Kid's Award. I have no idea why it was called that. I remember once doing a playthrough of GT2 where I deliberately aimed for them.

Personally I found the Rome Night test quite easy. Not surprising though, considering the fact that I have been in love with that track since I was a kid.

I see the Skyline Overtake Challenge being mentioned so many times here, but it's actually quite simple - if you gun it, you'll lose it. You have to leapfrog with 3rd place and it becomes ridiculously easy.

Despite doing that, I could never get any further than the yellow Skyline's slipstream... I did manage it after a couple of hundred tries. I think.

I'll nominate a real oddball - the original GT, B licence, test B-3: Basics Of Cornering 1. Everything ever since has been a matter of skill and practice but that one was pure luck or so it at least seemed, I think I had golded everything else in GT and GT2 before I got the cursed B-3 which was supposed to be the very first, the easiest possible test in which one had to actually turn the car.

Agreed...

Haruhi.

Making a poll of popular suggestions as we speak.

Edit: Poll is up! It's not exactly comprehensive, and there are hardly any of the (hardest) events from GT1 and GT2 because it's pretty hard to find out the names of the events, the cars used etc., but there's a good range up.

Last edited:
Nice selection of events in the poll. In my opinion GT3 is the game with the hardest events, esp. because for the lacking wheel support.

Gran Turismo 2 Historic Car Cup, I don't recall what track was it, but in one of the events, a Ford GT40 would appear as an opponent, the car which was way too over the power restriction of the events, making it almost impossible to win it.

I think that may have been Grindelwald...I remember getting the GT40 in the line up...I was able to beat it in my fully tuned '91 Skyline GTS4...you have to be quick though...

There is a mistake in the poll. GT2 IC-3 is not a Nsx on Apricot but a Camaro Z28 '97 on a fictional course and is not that dfficult IMO!
The S licences in GT2 where much harder like the S-2(GT40 at Seattle), S-4 (Penzoil at Midfield), S-7 (Viper at Laguna) and S-9 (Alfa at Rome).

Mission 34 wasn't particularly difficult. It was just thoroughly time-consuming and wearing because of the bloody two minute wait at the start. And as far as driving goes, I had more trouble with Missions 11 and 23. I didn't even complete the latter until I picked up the game again after three years.

I spent more hours trying to gold S-7 in GT2 than any other licence test in the series though. Hell, even my dad spent a good deal of time giving it a try years ago without success.

Another one worth a mention is the Vitz Race in GT3. I still haven't attempted that one in over a decade, but I found it to be a good deal harder than anything else in the Professional League back then. Bar the Formula GT championship.

And I find it kinda funny that GT4's IA-16 made the poll. I think I golded that one on my first try. Blitzing round that section of Le Mans in the R92CP was more fun than infuriating.

The Kid's Award. I have no idea why it was called that. I remember once doing a playthrough of GT2 where I deliberately aimed for them.

I only ever got it once, by pure fluke. S-6 (406 Sedan at Rome Full).

Last edited:
Honestly, seeing anything from GT4's IA license amuses me. I remember it only took me one attempt at each test to get the license. (Mainly with bronze and silver medals, I think I got one or two golds)

In comparison, the B licence in that game was a bit of a nightmare. It took me forever just to get a bronze on that test with the Citroen C3 at Laguna Seca...

It's a bit hard to remember all of them, and to compare them all as well. GT6 is the first in the series where I have taken the time to aim for Gold as the limits are a lot more achievable for me.

I remember a lot of the time trials causing pain, but I voted for the X trials given how keeping it on the circuit was a challenge, let alone bronze and above times! Was expecting the same pain in GT6, but again the times were a lot easier and the car seemed a lot more driveable as well.

The Kid's Award. I have no idea why it was called that.
It's not. It's called the Shoshinsha and is required to be displayed on the cars of novice drivers in Japan in their first year of driving after getting their full licence.

Its use in GT2 basically meant you weren't crap, but you were slightly too crap to get bronze. It was also pasted in to the two lowest licence levels if you transferred your licences from GT1.

Voted, although I believe the hardest Vettel challenge was at nurburgring.

Toyota GT-One at Monaco is licence number S-8 btw;)

There is a mistake in the poll. GT2 IC-3 is not a Nsx on Apricot but a Camaro Z28 '97 on a fictional course and is not that dfficult IMO!
The S licences in GT2 where much harder like the S-2(GT40 at Seattle), S-4 (Penzoil at Midfield), S-7 (Viper at Laguna) and S-9 (Alfa at Rome).

et_
Voted, although I believe the hardest Vettel challenge was at nurburgring.

Toyota GT-One at Monaco is licence number S-8 btw;)

I made many mistakes :lol:

I hated the Final Round on GT6 for GT Academy!

After 600 laps and much understeeriness, I ended up with around a 2:22.6...

Not sure what I'm doing wrong though.

My only problem with that event was hitting the cones, I had plenty of speed but riding the curbs is just too fun and sometimes I might go a little too far. Although, I think they were a bit unfairly placed on some corners. The understeer didn't seem to bother me either, but I had just gone straight from driving the 370Z on comfort tyres and then a stock GT-R, so a racing car felt like a dream after those two!

IMO the GT6 Veyron license challenge shouldn't even be in the poll, I easily beat the gold time by over 2 seconds after about 10 minutes (although I think SRF was forced on also?)

For me the one license test I always struggled with was the final stage of the first license on GT3 - the one with the Nissan Skyline at Trial Mountain. I still don't think I have golded it to this day. The same challenge also appears in GT4 on a higher level license.

But obviously the Vettel challenges are the hardest thing ever hands down.

IMO the GT6 Veyron license challenge shouldn't even be in the poll, I easily beat the gold time by over 2 seconds after about 10 minutes (although I think SRF was forced on also?)

For me the one license test I always struggled with was the final stage of the first license on GT3 - the one with the Nissan Skyline at Trial Mountain. I still don't think I have golded it to this day. The same challenge also appears in GT4 on a higher level license.

But obviously the Vettel challenges are the hardest thing ever hands down.
This^^ I agree to 100%!:cheers: I had problems with the exact same licence in GT3. and I agree the vettel challenges are the hardest and the bugatti should'nt be on the list.

After 600 laps and much understeeriness, I ended up with around a 2:22.6...

Not sure what I'm doing wrong though.

Not to go off topic, but I compared my lap to the top time using the data logger, and though I managed gold with a 2:20, I was losing three seconds by not flatting out Eau Rouge. Yes that's right, three seconds. If you lift off you get killed trying to regain speed up the hill.

Long live the data logger. 👍

You forgot about GT5 Alfa Romeo 8C / Eiger Nordward.

This Eiger Nordward challenge was harder to get gold on than the S.Vettel Challenge in GT5 (to me personal). The Eiger Nordward challenge was the last event i needed gold on to platinum GT5. It took me a weekend to gold medal S.Vettel on Monza, Suzuka & Nurburgring using a DFGT but it took me more than a week to get that Eiger Nordward gold medalled in the Alfa 8C using a T500RS.

S.Vettel Challenge on Suzuka was easier than Nurburgring imo. Could be because i've driven Suzuka a lot more than Nur F1 layout.

I never nailed the Vettel challenges in GT5 with a controller, though didn't try very hard to be honest, didn't find it much fun. Have only done the Vettel karting thing in GT6 thus far so we'll see how it goes.

However, one event I remember being very tricky indeed was an early GT5 "expert" seasonal which involved taking a Fiat 500 around Tsukuba. That was very hard indeed if you wanted the Gold, but very rewarding when you got it.

S-6 gt3 viper lap at Laguna. Probably not the hardest ( though damned glad to see it on the list ) but we all have those experiences where we make a leap in understanding GT. That one was mine. I thought I knew how to get around Laguna, after that challenge I really did. Have never had a problem on that track since. Mostly remember being so damned frustrated at not being able to tweak the suspension and gearing. Wheel would have helped a LOT.

Second on my list are the damned Ferrari magic laps in prologue. Playing in traffic with the f-40 on Suzuka was bad but in a good way, awesome car and track. The 430 at Daytona blew monkey balls. Car was fine but I hate that flat infield section in the best situations, having to nail perfect insane pass after insane pass on it was nearly the end of me.

Lotus top gear challenge with NO assists. Freaking ice skating and a magic lap, that damned high speed corner leading to Gambon.... Ack... That was the one that finally got me to grips with the new physics in GT 5.

Last, DTM race on the ring in GT 4. Not the hardest, but it was the race that finally made me learn the ring. Think there was one with the yellow bird as well. Between the two I developed my ring addiction.

Personally think the vettle X challenges should be astrix'd, not a fan of those cars. Though I agree they are probably the most challenging events.

suzuka wasnt so hard at all.
I mean, i won the silver maybe at the..20-25th try, but no one will be more difficult than the slr and rgt :lol:

Turns out my Dualshock 2 controller's analog works with GT1 and 2. I wish I would of known this a baker's dozen ago..

Now, I wonder how hard those GT2 tests I've struggled on all these years really are...

Got to be the Vettel challenges from GT5, hated the way the car felt to drive so I really struggled. B-Spec has to be the bloody NASCAR Daytona race - that was pure luck if you won it.

Some of the first seasonals in GT5 were also difficult to the point that some had to use SRF to get gold. I only remember the RX-7 @ Tsukuba and Focus RS @ Madrid, but I'm sure that there are several others.

Don´t even start on that one! The thing is, i was using AT prior to this, but this one made me switch to MT for the first time and honestly, I golded it just a few runs after

Mine and probably my most frustrating would be the IA-15 license test in gt4. One slip up and you have to start ALL OVER.

Don´t even start on that one! The thing is, i was using AT prior to this, but this one made me switch to MT for the first time and honestly, I golded it just a few runs after
Took me many tries to get gold on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
the hardest ever was GT3 Complex String
No that wasn't actually that hard. And 'the complex string' doesn't really classify as an event either. if you mean getting gold on all the 'string licence tests? that was hard!

No that wasn't actually that hard. And 'the complex string' doesn't really classify as an event either. if you mean getting gold on all the 'string licence tests? that was hard!
there was a time trial challenge doing a full lap with a RUF, it took me for ages to pass it, all others are piece of cake since that for me :)

there was a time trial challenge doing a full lap with a RUF, it took me for ages to pass it, all others are piece of cake since that for me :)
Took me a few times :)

Back