• Thread starter Lanius1984
  • 317 comments

Which Wheel would you choose?

• Thrustmaster T300RS

Votes: 202 69.9%
  • Logitech G29

Votes: 87 30.1%

• Total voters
I cannot buy a G27 anywhere in England and how do you know youre not buying old stocks of G27?

You can buy brand new G27's at pcworld; which is where I got mine from last November. It isnt even in the original packaging that the G27 was sold in, which has been updated to be in line with the packaging for their most recent gaming based hardware. Chances are though, is that they will vanish very quickly now the new wheels are on the way.

B3i9yIsCcAACDLG.jpg:large

It is currently sold at £179 at pcworld.
It is also sold at Amazon uk for the same price.

Before I had the G27, I had the Thrustmaster TX wheel for use on my X1 and PC. It broke after 6 months, and I got left high and dry by thrustmaster who refused to replace or repair the device; until I got trading standards involved in the matter. By that point in time it was too late, as I ended up talking to Amazon who sent a replacement wheel out to me, which was DOA. Amazon then gave me a full refund, as they didn't have anymore TX wheels in stock. The T300 is pretty much the same wheel with a little more rotation. The G27 wheel was bought so I could continue playing all the racing games I own on PC, as I have more than a few of them.

As it stands the Logitech wheels are vastly more reliable that the current lineup of Thrustmaster wheels, and for that reason alone, I would personally suggest the op buys the G29. I may also be looking to buy the Xbox version of the wheel, as I miss playing forza with a wheel.

These Thrustmaster discussions remind me of the ones we were having around Fanatec back when they launched the CSR Elite and CSWv1 wheels. They had serious quality control issues and difficulty getting things under control for a while (probably due to higher demand than they could meet).

Thrustmaster is a niche player, similar to Fanatec. sadly at the moment it's Thrustmaster's turn to be overloaded and suffer quality control issues (although the T500 seems to be going strong and should not be treated with the same attitude as the TX/T300).

Now that Logitech is back in the market, I fully expect Thrustmaster to see reduced demand, and they should be able to catch up and get their quality issues fixed. Then we, as the consumers, win... Multiple high quality wheel options is always a good thing.

P.S. As a Logitech, Fanatec and Thrustmaster owner, I can definitely reiterate that the G29, assuming it feels pretty similar to G27/G25, is inferior to the T300. Taking a risk on reliability does bring reward in terms of better FFB communication and that gives benefits to being able to control virtual cars (particularly oversteer). The choice is there, all of us make our own decision on which way to go.

You have anecdotal evidence from forums who's purpose is to gather people together with complaints. Any argument you make in favour of G27's you can also make for T300's. Unless you have access to reliability data for both wheels, you're just speculating as to how well they are built and how long the average one lasts. What we can say for certain though, is that the T300 is a far better wheel in every other respect. That is a logical reason to choose the T300 over any Logitech wheel.

Didn't bother to read what I linked to before replying I see . I linked to a Project Cars thread about a user that has just purchased his new wheel . Other users who own T300s commented about their wheels with one user who stripped down and compared the internals of the T300 to others .

open up the t300, then open up a
G27..
T300 is cheap Inside compared to
G27..
I have Both, I know...
Since G29 is based off the G27, it
should be the same or Better
quality. and It's using New
technology.
T300 single Small motor ( dual Belt
drive to Increase Torque, but that
Causes motor OverHeat problems, as
the single Motor is too small )
So they Tacked on this Huge set of
Fins, and a Tiny tiny fan..
Oops, doesn't work.. Motor gets very
Hot,
As heat rises, motor performance
decreases..
it also Expands in the Case, and
then you get Mechanical Binding of
the Motor.
(noise and thud thud thud thud...
as you force the Motor to turn while
rubbing inside the case)
everyone with T300 is experiencing
Loss of FFB if TF and Wheel Force are
too High..
G27, G29 Dual Mabuchi Motors with
an Anti-Backlash Helical Gear.
Quiet and Smooth design.
No Overheat issues as the two
motors can Handle FFB all day long.
Pricing:
the T300 should sell for $149.99 or
less for what you really get..
the G29, while I grant you it should
still be the same as the G27 was
$299.99
In today's wheel market, it is worth
at least the same as the T300.
T300 is 399.99 so the G29 is priced
right.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...s-pCARS-wonderfully-smooth-and-perfect!/page5

Better in every other respect ?

Source ?

Or just your personal ownership bias ?

Last edited:
Didn't bother to read what I linked to before replying I see . I linked to a Project Cars thread about a user that has just purchased his new wheel . Other users who own T300s commented about their wheels with one user who stripped down and compared the internals of the T300 to others .

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...s-pCARS-wonderfully-smooth-and-perfect!/page5

Source ?

That's the best review you could come up with lol, that's a joke he is fanboy .

Which part specifically ? The guy who bought the G29 ? The guy who compared the internals of a G27 to a T300 ?

Speaking of so called fanboyism ... Isn't that a lot of Thrustmaster in your sig ?

Which part specifically ? The guy who bought the G29 ? The guy who compared the internals of a G27 to a T300 ?

Speaking of so called fanboyism ... Isn't that a lot of Thrustmaster in your sig ?
The part of g27 to T300, maybe if their was motor specs or anything i would take it more serious. I never said one was better than the other.

Personally I've never felt my T300 casing directly above the motor warm to the touch even after a long session.... But then I carefully tune settings to avoid clipping. Potentially the issue described above is due to running it constantly clipping? (Which would also give a poor user experience, as on any wheel)

Furthermore, that T300 motor is brushless, which inherently runs cooler, and gives more power and efficiency from any particular enclosure size compared to an equivalent brushed motor (such as is used in Logitech wheels). And isn't as notchy when in use.

I should also note that the T300 motor is producing more than double the power of a single G27 motor.... My own testing using iRacing wheelcheck shows that the single T300 motor gives approximately 50% faster spin speeds than produced by the dual motors in the G27.

As for robustness of the internals, personally I don't see too many differences. Both mount the components to a metal substructure, both have solid metal components within the shaft. Both use plastic in some of the cogs. But actually the G27 has a plastic codewheel which is known to be a weak spot, as compared to the contactless Hall sensor in the Thrustmaster.

Pictures of the internals of both are on the net to compare and contrast:
http://www.jlvrh.de/G27_UK.htm
http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/13161-thrustmaster-tx-fan-replacement/

Now tell me if you think the TX/T300 motor is small... Looks clearly bigger than the G27 motors to me (the T300 enclosure is larger than the G27 one).

Source ?

If you'd like I can find dozens of people who have both wheels and pretty much every single one of them says the T300 has the superior FFB strength and feel and is quieter and smoother. Just look back over the last couple of pages and you'll find a couple right here.

Nice try on the personal ownership bias, but I own a G27. I just keep an open mind about things I don't own and don't try to defend to the death purchases that I've made. It's called objectivity, you should try it.

I
If you'd like I can find dozens of people who have both wheels and pretty much every single one of them says the T300 has the superior FFB strength and feel and is quieter and smoother. Just look back over the last couple of pages and you'll find a couple right here.

Nice try on the personal ownership bias, but I own a G27. I just keep an open mind about things I don't own and don't try to defend to the death purchases that I've made. It's called objectivity, you should try it.
I owened a DFGT,G27 and T300, 300 is a far superior wheel than a G27.
No bias,just a fact.

I'm a peasant and haven't owned either a G27 or T300, so based on that I didn't vote. But I do own a dfgt, and I've used plenty of G27s. I don't really understand why people jump on TM and brand their wheels unreliable, just based on a few threads on internet forums. If you have a look, you can find people with any wheel that have had reliability problems. I've read already about DOA G29s, so there's no difference in reliability as far as I can see.

I don't understand why people claim Logitech wheels have bulletproof reliability. I know three people with G27s, two of them have had wheel failures, but liked the wheel, so bought another one. The only wheel I've had is a dfgt, which I had a number of issues with. I basically rebuilt and redesigned the thing to make it better after having to open it up and mod it to make it work properly (also had brake pedal issues like @Johnnypenso). The only other friend I have with a wheel they've had problems with is a mate who had his Fanatec GT3RS V1 fail spectacularly. The wheel shaft actually snapped clean in half lol. I've heard far more stories of Fanatec and Logitech wheel problems than Thrustmaster so far.

With that said, I'm thinking about going for Fanatec this gen. If I was trying to choose between T300 and G29, it would be no contest. T300 every day of the week. I've spent a long time weighing up all the pros and cons of all the different wheels. I'm leaning toward a Fanatec because for the same price as a T300 or G29 I can get a really decent wheel base, with budget 3 pedals and shifter set. Also I could prob get my mate with the snapped GT3 to sell me his CSP V1s cheap lol.

I do really like all the different wheel add ons for the Thrustmaster wheels though. Also read good things about the TH8A and T3pa Pros. G27 pedals aren't bad when modded, but the shifter is rubbish.

Source ?

Hey, I take Offense to that...
that is My Post and I can tell you that I am no FAN boy..
I will never Own another Thrustmaster Wheel.
I hate dealing with their customer support, Whom make you feel, Like you're trying to Cheat them. When All you want is to get your Darn Brand New Wheel Fixed.

I've had them both apart. I know Quality vs Cheap, and Logitech is much better quality vs Thrustmaster cheap t300

I'm 54 years young.
I'm both a Mechanical and Electrical Engineer

I bought my T300 back in November 2014, in anticipation of the PS4 and Project Cars.
Had Issues right out of the Box, and Dealt with the Thrustmaster run around BS.

I hate the Cheap Sweaty rubber, the terrible switches.
and especially the Overheat and Loss of FFB
and don't ask me about the t300 pedals..

I paid almost $450 for this piece of junk that shouldn't even cost $149.99
And I have to Laugh when every one here talks about, I bought the T3PA Pros and I added the TH8A, and I got the Leather wheel.
So now your at close to $850.00

or
G29 for 399.99 ( if you already have a G27, the Shifter from the G27 works... , you don't need to but the shifter )
Real Leather wrapped Wheel.
Real Quality 3 Pedal set

But don't take my word for it..
Thrustmaster Knows the Motor is too small, so they outright tell you..
Hey, our cheap wheel is going to get Hot and we will shut of the FFB
and then you will have to let it cool down for 45 minutes if you want to use it again.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00156.pdf
go read it for yourself..
Yes, right there in Black and White, they know it won't last.

Open your t300 Up, have a look...
Big Huge Heat Sink on Tiny Single Motor.
That Heat sink just makes it look Like a Big motor.. It's not..
and that tiny tiny fan...
Using Dual Belt Drive to overload the motor so it Feels stronger than it really is..
But the little motor Gets so Hot, it Expands in it's Housing and then Starts to Bind up...
That's the Thunk and Thud Thud Thud you feel after it heats up..

If the G29 is based on the Same construction from the G27, then I know it's going to work all day long, because it was engineered and designed better.

Had the G29 been Available, knowing what I know now about the T300..
I would have bought the G29...
And I'm still going to buy a G29..

Logitech Quality
http://1drv.ms/1K7KyYY
T300 Cheap
http://1drv.ms/1CHwaXn

edit:
PS Here's my Rig..
http://1drv.ms/1CMEyoV

can be configured....
triple 32" screens GT6 with 3 PS3's
Single Screen with PS4
Single 42" Passive 3D Screen

T300RS, TH81, G27 Pedals, ricmotech Brake Loadcell, Ricmotec Pedal Adapter
and Soon a New G29 Wheel.

I also Own (2) G27 Wheels and 4 DFGT's ( recently gave 3 of them away )
I can set up my Screens so I have Three Driving rigs for when I have a driving party.

Each with it's own Screen PS3, and Wheel.

Oh I just ordered these, (2) EVGA GTX 980's (1) GTX 670
Building a Gaming PC.
http://1drv.ms/1MbcBco

So Yeah, I'm a Fan boy and Don't know what I'm talking About.. HA!

Last edited:
Hey, I take Offense to that...
that is My Post and I can tell you that I am no FAN boy..
I will never Own another Thrustmaster Wheel.
I hate dealing with their customer support, Whom make you feel, Like you're trying to Cheat them. When All you want is to get your Darn Brand New Wheel Fixed.

I've had them both apart. I know Quality vs Cheap, and Logitech is much better quality vs Thrustmaster cheap t300

I'm 54 years young.
I'm both a Mechanical and Electrical Engineer

I bought my T300 back in November 2014, in anticipation of the PS4 and Project Cars.
Had Issues right out of the Box, and Dealt with the Thrustmaster run around BS.

I hate the Cheap Sweaty rubber, the terrible switches.
and especially the Overheat and Loss of FFB
and don't ask me about the t300 pedals..

I paid almost $450 for this piece of junk that shouldn't even cost $149.99
And I have to Laugh when every one here talks about, I bought the T3PA Pros and I added the TH8A, and I got the Leather wheel.
So now your at close to $850.00

or
G29 for 399.99 ( if you already have a G27, the Shifter from the G27 works... , you don't need to but the shifter )
Real Leather wrapped Wheel.
Real Quality 3 Pedal set

But don't take my word for it..
Thrustmaster Knows the Motor is too small, so they outright tell you..
Hey, our cheap wheel is going to get Hot and we will shut of the FFB
and then you will have to let it cool down for 45 minutes if you want to use it again.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00156.pdf
go read it for yourself..
Yes, right there in Black and White, they know it won't last.

Open your t300 Up, have a look...
Big Huge Heat Sink on Tiny Single Motor.
That Heat sink just makes it look Like a Big motor.. It's not..
and that tiny tiny fan...
Using Dual Belt Drive to overload the motor so it Feels stronger than it really is..
But the little motor Gets so Hot, it Expands in it's Housing and then Starts to Bind up...
That's the Thunk and Thud Thud Thud you feel after it heats up..

If the G29 is based on the Same construction from the G27, then I know it's going to work all day long, because it was engineered and designed better.

Had the G29 been Available, knowing what I know now about the T300..
I would have bought the G29...
And I'm still going to buy a G29..

Logitech Quality
http://1drv.ms/1K7KyYY
T300 Cheap
http://1drv.ms/1CHwaXn

edit:
PS Here's my Rig..
http://1drv.ms/1CMEyoV

can be configured....
triple 32" screens GT6 with 3 PS3's
Single Screen with PS4
Single 42" Passive 3D Screen

T300RS, TH81, G27 Pedals, ricmotech Brake Loadcell, Ricmotec Pedal Adapter
and Soon a New G29 Wheel.

I also Own (2) G27 Wheels and 4 DFGT's ( recently gave 3 of them away )
I can set up my Screens so I have Three Driving rigs for when I have a driving party.

Each with it's own Screen PS3, and Wheel.

Oh I just ordered these, (2) EVGA GTX 980's (1) GTX 670
Building a Gaming PC.
http://1drv.ms/1MbcBco

So Yeah, I'm a Fan boy and Don't know what I'm talking About.. HA!

Exactly . As you have noticed from the thread that when you bring real facts to the debate you will be dismissed by T300 owners not wanting to admit their wheel is not a good choice ...

Let them enoy the problems with it and they can gloat to customer service when it does break down .

Great post and objective insight buddy 👍

Exactly . As you have noticed from the thread that when you bring real facts to the debate you will be dismissed by T300 owners not wanting to admit their wheel is not a good choice ...

Let them enoy the problems with it and they can gloat to customer service when it does break down .

As an impartial owner/user of wheels from all three brands, I am only interested in understanding why WyldAnimal is getting such bizarre overheating effects when I personally have put many hours into my own T300 and have never had any of those symptoms.

Obviously overheat protection is good and necessary, but it shouldn't be happening under "normal" use. It sounds to me like a problem not a feature of the wheel (particularly since brushless motors are known to work more effieciently and with lower heat than brushed motors). Is the wheel being used with a setting which causes heavy clipping? What are the ambient temperatures?

Your mind is completely closed and you can no longer be impartial. If you had paid any attention to this and other wheel threads, you'll see that many, many T300 owners have had no problems at all. Saying they are afraid to admit their wheel is not a good choice is ridiculous. I don't disagree with anything @WyldAnimal says but it's just his opinion and his experience and only one data point.

I am only interested in understanding why WyldAnimal is getting such bizarre overheating effects when I personally have put many hours into my own T300 and have never had any of those symptoms.

Is the wheel being used with a setting which causes heavy clipping? What are the ambient temperatures?

I too have not had any overheating issues with my T300RS. Even when we here in the UK had a mini heatwave a couple of weeks ago and my room was around the 30°c mark, it didn't overheat, lose FFB, or even fade away. Even before v2.0 came out and lessened the centre spring force issue for us PS4 users, I never experienced any heat related issues.
It may well be a simple reset of the FFB calibration is needed after v2.0 software ? That and lower the tyre force setting in the calibration menu ?

Same here, have had my TX for over a year without any problems, no overheating issues. Over the years I've heard good/bad reports on Fanatec, TM, and Logitech but don't have exact numbers to know what "percentage" have problems - only the manufacturer would know for sure. Number of forum users reporting problems doesn't tell the whole story, only the "percentage" of the whole would reveal the truth.

With that said, IF there is better reliability with a Logitech over a Thrustmaster what does the mean. I myself wouldn't buy a gear driven wheel again, much to noisy and not as smooth, that's just my choice. Same with my IRL cars, my BMW is not reported as the most reliable car available for purchase but that doesn't mean I'm not happy with what I have.

I'm curious about Fanatec's next budget wheel, which will be the successor of the CSR. That will throw this discussion around again.

You have anecdotal evidence from forums who's purpose is to gather people together with complaints. Any argument you make in favour of G27's you can also make for T300's. Unless you have access to reliability data for both wheels, you're just speculating as to how well they are built and how long the average one lasts. What we can say for certain though, is that the T300 is a far better wheel in every other respect. That is a logical reason to choose the T300 over any Logitech wheel.

Again I will ask .... Source ?

Your mind is completely closed and you can no longer be impartial. If you had paid any attention to this and other wheel threads, you'll see that many, many T300 owners have had no problems at all. Saying they are afraid to admit their wheel is not a good choice is ridiculous. I don't disagree with anything @WyldAnimal says but it's just his opinion and his experience and only one data point.

My mind is completely closed ? Interesting hypocrisy . Who's " WE " in the first statement ? That's clearly " YOU " , because you own one and seem to be on a white knight mission to defend the sacred T300 from any bad reviews . Dismissing them as " Anecdotal " , IE , not relevant at all to anyones experience and T300 failures in your opinion are all one offs .... Mmhmm , oh of course they are /sarcasm .

Next you'll be telling me that you own an xbox 360 . That the 360 has around a 5% failure rate , ( As Microsoft testified in court ) when that machine was proven to have an over 50% failure rate .. Point is , companies sometimes sell poorly made products , knowing that they will fail . Is the T300 one of these ? I'm not sure yet . ( I'm " so closed minded " , remember ? ) I suspect it could be .

Again I will ask .... Source ?

My mind is completely closed ? Interesting hypocrisy . Who's " WE " in the first statement ? That's clearly " YOU " , because you own one and seem to be on a white knight mission to defend the sacred T300 from any bad reviews . Dismissing them as " Anecdotal " , IE , not relevant at all to anyones experience and T300 failures in your opinion are all one offs .... Mmhmm , oh of course they are /sarcasm .

Next you'll be telling me that you own an xbox 360 . That the 360 has around a 5% failure rate , ( As Microsoft testified in court ) when that machine was proven to have an over 50% failure rate .. Point is , companies sometimes sell poorly made products , knowing that they will fail . Is the T300 one of these ? I'm not sure yet . ( I'm " so closed minded " , remember ? ) I suspect it could be .
Johnny owns a G27 bud.

Yes, I believe Johnny mentioned that already as well, but it doesn't seem to fit the agenda:lol:

I believe the only agenda here is the facts . You stated categorically the 300 is the better wheel , but time and again i've asked you to prove it . Time and again you clearly cannot . Maybe time to man up and just admit that was your opinion and not -

What we can say for certain though , is that the T300 is a far better wheel in every other aspect

Don't you think ?

I believe the only agenda here is the facts . You stated categorically the 300 is the better wheel , but time and again i've asked you to prove it .
Out of curiosity: Which wheels do you personally have experience with?

I m not Johnny, but since I own/ed both wheels, I might be in the position to add my thoughts: Yes, the T300 is superior in every way (FFB, reaction time, precision, smoothness, ergonimics, haptics, heat, noise) except for two things: The leather rim on the G27 is more comfortable than the rubber coating of the T300s rim and the G27 pedals are of course much better. Quality for me, as a product designer, seems to be on par. At least from my experience.

And frankly speaking, I have yet to find a T300 owner that says otherwise. Yes, there were reports of dead wheels and pedals at the beginning, but its just the same with the G29 now. Just like with most consumer products in todays terror reign of cost cutting product managers. Only difference is that TM has yet to cheaply rebrand the T300 and sell it for twice the price. :sly:

Speaking from many years of experience and ownership of Logitech, Thrustmaster and Fanatec wheels, the one thing I've learned is never buy a wheel within the first 6 months of production unless you are OK with possibly having to send it back for RMA.

Logitech (being approximately 100x the size of Fanatec or Thrustmaster and therefore having much more scale/clout with their suppliers) is less of a risk, but it's still always better to wait for the initial production runs and teething troubles to be solved before purchasing any particular wheel.

I have spare wheels, so these days I am OK with having to send a new wheel back for RMA. Guys with a single wheel are in a more difficult position there, of course.

I am going to make the G29 my next wheel.

Both the T300 and the G29 cost $399. Neither includes a shifter. But the pedals on the T300 are the lowest quality pedals you can find. Worse than on the entry level DFGT (which I have).

If you wanted to add a shifter to the T300 you have to buy new pedals to get the clutch pedal...not so on the G29. G29 comes with awesome pedals already.

Logitech has proven reliability and amazing customer service which goes a long way in my book. I have had a DFGT since 2012 and have had zero problems.

Fit and finish on the G29 is much better...who doesn't like leather over rubber?

Definitely getting the G29 in August.

I am going to make the G29 my next wheel.

Both the T300 and the G29 cost $399. Neither includes a shifter. But the pedals on the T300 are the lowest quality pedals you can find. Worse than on the entry level DFGT (which I have).

If you wanted to add a shifter to the T300 you have to buy new pedals to get the clutch pedal...not so on the G29. G29 comes with awesome pedals already.

Logitech has proven reliability and amazing customer service which goes a long way in my book. I have had a DFGT since 2012 and have had zero problems.

Fit and finish on the G29 is much better...who doesn't like leather over rubber?

Definitely getting the G29 in August.

May I just add?

The T300 was made for the playstation 4. The G27, aka G29, was built to play on the old-gen playstation.

The T300 comes with detachable wheels, meaning that you can buy new wheels that may suit different genre games, e.g. Formula One. Perhaps a leather rim will come shortly as well. This also means that the Thrustmaster wheel will keep up to date, whereas that's not guaranteed with a product that was quickly made to make a small bit of money on.

The T300 is said by the majority to be the better wheel. It has superior, patent-pending motors and other more new and advanced technology. The G29 has technology from a handful of years ago.

The T300RS and GTE wheel arguably look a lot nicer than the quickly-designed G29.

There has been no mention of Thrustmaster leaving the gaming market, while Logitech may already be packing their bags again.

Logitech had little respect or empathy to the unfortunate customers who had bought the G27 and now have it picking up dust in the shed.

I'd recommend the Thrustmaster over the G29 without hesitation, being both an owner of the T300 GTE wheel and the G27.

I'm not a person who buys accessories. I just want the best overall package out of the box. I will never buy different pedals or wheels or shifters (I use the paddles).

I don't own a rig...my DFGT is clamped to a sewing table and my pedals sit on the tile floor and I sit in a wooden kitchen chair.

So for me the G29 is the best overall option as a replacement for my DFGT. The T300 has pedals worse than what I have. I don't need the shifter. And the customer service of Logitech is better. I know a couple of people who had a problem with their G27 out of warranty and Logitech sent them a new wheel. I have not heard any positives about TM customer service.

Long story short...right out of the box the G29 is probably my best bet.

Oh, wow, I didn't even realise! Tbh, I prefer the look of my GTE wheel, looks do play a big part for me! And, I don't know about others, but I don't mind the rubber one bit! And about it causing havoc with sweaty hands, I've never experienced that, and I do get sweaty hands a lot!

Re: above.

It's your choice at the end of the day, I'm just making sure you realise the pros and cons of each wheel. So far the only problem I had (which lasted a day) was a squeaky pedal, I doubt I'd have to call customer service. So that makes it one-one on reliability for my experience: loud clunks on G27 when on kerbs, and that for the T300. As you know, the people with the most to complain about will shout loudest, and there are plenty of happy T300 owners.

Last edited:
Back