• 317 comments

Which Wheel would you choose?

• Thrustmaster T300RS

Votes: 202 69.9%
  • Logitech G29

Votes: 87 30.1%

• Total voters
May I just add?

The T300 was made for the playstation 4. The G27, aka G29, was built to play on the old-gen playstation.

The T300 comes with detachable wheels, meaning that you can buy new wheels that may suit different genre games, e.g. Formula One. Perhaps a leather rim will come shortly as well. This also means that the Thrustmaster wheel will keep up to date, whereas that's not guaranteed with a product that was quickly made to make a small bit of money on.

The T300 is said by the majority to be the better wheel. It has superior, patent-pending motors and other more new and advanced technology. The G29 has technology from a handful of years ago.

The T300RS and GTE wheel arguably look a lot nicer than the quickly-designed G29.

There has been no mention of Thrustmaster leaving the gaming market, while Logitech may already be packing their bags again.

Logitech had little respect or empathy to the unfortunate customers who had bought the G27 and now have it picking up dust in the shed.

I'd recommend the Thrustmaster over the G29 without hesitation, being both an owner of the T300 GTE wheel and the G27.

I'd further this by adding that not many users have the G29 yet , but all the users that do and have spoken about its quality and feel say it's a great wheel also .

The stigmatized view of the 29 just being a rebadged 27 is getting old to be honest . And Logitechs business issues have absolutely nothing to do with the quality or feel of the wheel in your hands . Do you not think , for example , that more people claim the 300 is better simply because they haven't tried the 29 yet as it's brand new and not widely available ? Alot of the negativity seems more business related than actual wheel quality related which , in all honesty , is just plainly ridiculous .

There's pros and cons to both wheels . I don't see the 300 being a superior choice as easily as some like to portray however .

The T300 has pedals worse than what I have.

I own both the DFGT and the T300 .... and yes I have purchased the shifter and pro pedals (and probably the leather wheel at some point when I'm 'compensating myself' for work getting in the way of me going to a race meeting :D) but I have no idea where you get the idea that the basic thrustmaster pedals are worse than the dfgt ones .... you can mod the dfgt ones to be a bit better, but out of the box the TM ones are superior.

It might be getting old but it's the truth IMO.

If so it alludes that the 29 will be high quality and reliable . I read somewhere that the internals are updated . Whether it's based on the 27 or not it still means you're purchasing a high quality product .

I'd further this by adding that not many users have the G29 yet , but all the users that do and have spoken about its quality and feel say it's a great wheel also .

The stigmatized view of the 29 just being a rebadged 27 is getting old to be honest . And Logitechs business issues have absolutely nothing to do with the quality or feel of the wheel in your hands . Do you not think , for example , that more people claim the 300 is better simply because they haven't tried the 29 yet as it's brand new and not widely available ? Alot of the negativity seems more business related than actual wheel quality related which , in all honesty , is just plainly ridiculous .

There's pros and cons to both wheels . I don't see the 300 being a superior choice as easily as some like to portray however .

The fact that it registers as a DFGT on a computer and a G27 on the PS3 tells the whole story. Many people who reviewed it said similar. Logitech were also out of the gaming business but quickly made this wheel to add support for PS4.

I could go on and on. I looked up to see if the G29 has different technology than the G27 on their own website. The exact same.

Just because it's getting old that people are saying it doesn't mean that it becomes less of a fact. I don't know where you're getting that from.

The fact that it registers as a DFGT on a computer and a G27 on the PS3 tells the whole story. Many people who reviewed it said similar. Logitech were also out of the gaming business but quickly made this wheel to add support for PS4.

I could go on and on. I looked up to see if the G29 has different technology than the G27 on their own website. The exact same.

Just because it's getting old that people are saying it doesn't mean that it becomes less of a fact. I don't know where you're getting that from.

Do you have links to these reviews ? I'll look for where I read that .

I have owned numerous Logitech wheels since 2003,when I played NASCAR 2003 on PC. Purchased Driving Force GT,when GT5 came out,then G27 just before GT6 came out and now I own T300 for PCars. With the options to change wheels,pedals way better shifter and an overall better FFB and responsive feeling of the 300,it's a no brainer. I was the biggest Logitech supporter,T300 is a better wheel.

I just saw a video from Inside Sim Racing where it registers as a G29 on the guys laptop . On the T300 first impression video they have , the T300 registers as a T500 on PC ...

What @Darragh says basically, bar a new sensor and a couple of rubbers added to the pedals it's exactly the same tech, but twice the price.

Do you expect a new wheel to be sold at the same price as an old one ? Whether or not it shares mechanisms ?

No, I don't have reviews on that on me. Why, is the other part of my post not sufficient enough to tell you how it is?

I'm open to more information if you have it yes .

I just saw a video from Inside Sim Racing where it registers as a G29 on the guys laptop . On the T300 first impression video they have , the T300 registers as a T500 on PC ...

Do you expect a new wheel to be sold at the same price as an old one ? Whether or not it shares mechanisms ?

I'm open to more information if you have it yes .
TJC do you own PCars and a current wheel?
If not,then take some advice from a die hard Logitech wheel owner for the past 12 years. The 300 is better,I don't know what else there is to say. A friend of mine had an issue with his T300 as he didn't tighten the screw on his wheel,it stripped,he sent it in and Thrustmaster is fixing it for free. He purchased a G29 and said its not close to the 300. He won't even use it for PCars and is returning it.

TJC do you own PCars and a current wheel?
If not,then take some advice from a die hard Logitech wheel owner for the past 12 years. The 300 is better,I don't know what else there is to say.

Pcars yes . Current wheel no . I'm looking for the perfect Pcars wheel still . Advice definitely noted man 👍

I expect a new wheel to be new. Minor upgrades and a new look do not warrant double the price. Especially when you actually get less now too (no shifter).

On Inside Sim Racing you can see that the G27 shifter is compatible with the 29 . So if you have a 27 and are looking to purchase the 29 it means you do not need the new shifter add on .

Besides this , on launch it will be competitively priced in the market . A couple of months after release there should be some great deals around to be had .

It's your choice at the end of the day, I'm just making sure you realise the pros and cons of each wheel. So far the only problem I had (which lasted a day) was a squeaky pedal, I doubt I'd have to call customer service. So that makes it one-one on reliability for my experience: loud clunks on G27 when on kerbs, and that for the T300. As you know, the people with the most to complain about will shout loudest, and there are plenty of happy T300 owners.
This is one of the first things I noticed when I moved to pc and was using my G27 with Assetto Corsa. The rattling over curbs and especially if you go off track:ouch: is horrendous. You may not notice it so much in a game like GT6 with it's muted FFB, but on AC which is noted for it detailed FFB the rattling is intense and quite offputting.

If so it alludes that the 29 will be high quality and reliable . I read somewhere that the internals are updated . Whether it's based on the 27 or not it still means you're purchasing a high quality product .
It's not based on the G27, it is a G27 with a new optical sensor (which was a huge issue on the G27 and hopefully fixed)and a different wheel face, which, of course, has no effect on how the internals work. Darin from ISR says at the end of his video that he hasn't heard of any internal changes aside from the optical sensor and the wheel feels and sounds like a G27.

This is one of the first things I noticed when I moved to pc and was using my G27 with Assetto Corsa. The rattling over curbs and especially if you go off track:ouch: is horrendous. You may not notice it so much in a game like GT6 with it's muted FFB, but on AC which is noted for it detailed FFB the rattling is intense and quite offputting.

It's not based on the G27, it is a G27 with a new optical sensor (which was a huge issue on the G27 and hopefully fixed)and a different wheel face, which, of course, has no effect on how the internals work. Darin from ISR says at the end of his video that he hasn't heard of any internal changes aside from the optical sensor and the wheel feels and sounds like a G27.

Yes he showed an audio clip of the noise I agree . I heard tonight that a friend of a good friend of mine from Team NLD racing has had to send his T300 away 4 times now as it keeps breaking . Not sure of the specific fault but i'll ask him next time he's around . If the price you pay for a quieter wheel is breakdowns then I really can't see the 300 as an option . Even if some / most users have said theirs hasn't yet not withstanding . That really put me off as a new wheel isn't a cheap throwaway purchase as we know .

Yes he showed an audio clip of the noise I agree . I heard tonight that a friend of a good friend of mine from Team NLD racing has had to send his T300 away 4 times now as it keeps breaking . Not sure of the specific fault but i'll ask him next time he's around . If the price you pay for a quieter wheel is breakdowns then I really can't see the 300 as an option . Even if some / most users have said theirs hasn't yet not withstanding . That really put me off as a new wheel isn't a cheap throwaway purchase as we know .
It's funny that you keep bringing up anecdotal evidence of T300 issues while completely ignoring the G27 issues that several people have mentioned in this thread. For all we know the T300 could be problem free for 99/100 people but those 1/100 naturally congregate on forums to complain about their experience.

It's funny that you keep bringing up anecdotal evidence of T300 issues while completely ignoring the G27 issues that several people have mentioned in this thread. For all we know the T300 could be problem free for 99/100 people but those 1/100 naturally congregate on forums to complain about their experience.

Did you even read what I wrote ? ( Lost count of how many times i've even had to ask you this ) . I didn't say I read that users problem on a forum . I know this guy through association .

Last edited:
From my perspective - that of a racing fanatic with an out of date wheel, wanting the absolute best bang for buck replacement, The T300 looks to be by far the best of these two.

The T300 is very cheap for a belt-driven wheel with a brushless motor, which has a removable wheel rim. T300 owners have access to one of the best pedal sets around (T3PA Pro), which, going off reviews, are in another league to the toy-like plastic ones in the G25/7/9. One of the best shifters (TH8A), which is pretty much all metal construction, looks very nice, and can be used in either H pattern or sequential (G29, like 27, is H pattern only, and feels very cheap due to all plastic construction). The T300 owner also has the ability to swap their rim for a Ferrari 458 Challenge rim, a leather wrapped version of the 458 rim minus the Ferrari badge, or even a replica 2011 Ferrari F1 rim, with something like 25 mappable buttons and two rotary encoders on pc.

You could get an equally customisable wheel if you buy a T500, but they cost more than $200AUD more than a T300 in Australia, although they do come with the pro pedals. If you want a customisable wheel base, and don't want to buy Thrustmaster, then your cheapest option is a Fanatec CS Wheel Base, which is obviously a lot better, but costs a lot more too.

In Aus:
G29 = a little over $500
T300RS = a little under $500
T500RS = $720 - $750
CSW V2 = Almost $900, without a wheel rim or pedals. Cheapest rim is the Formula rim @ $250, and currently their only pedals that say in stock are the $350 CSP V3s. Most of the really nice Fanatec rims for the CSW base are around the $500 mark.

For the money, I think Thrustmaster stuff is well priced. I actually thought the logical rrp for the G29 (this is before they announced the rrp) would have been $300AUD. At that price, I would have bought one. But for the same price as a T300, with weaker and notchy brushed motors, gear drive, no shifter, and the same pedals as a G25, I am actually surprised that anyone has bought one.

I'll also add that I'm not getting a Thrustmaster wheel either. The Mrs would kill me if I paid $500 for a wheel, especially when I told her I absolutely had to buy better pedals (I don't like the look of the two pedal set that the T300 comes with, it looks ****). I'm buying a Fanatec CSR off a friend for $150, which hasn't even seen a lot of use. Considering that uses the last version of the Porsche wheel base, but with a lighter rim, it seems like a steal at that price. From everything I've read they are reliable wheels, have strong ffb, belt driven, with two additional rumble motors for effects, and adjustable ffb on the fly on the wheel itself. Plus my other mate with the broken Fanatec GT3 is selling me his CSP V1s for $100. So half the price of a G29 or T300. But I consider myself lucky.

And hearing something from a friend of a friend isn't anecdotal ??

Hearing that his T300 has had to be sent away 4 times doesn't give me the confidence to say to myself ; " Oh yes , I must have that experience " . Not even just on this alone of course . Just thought it was worth a mention .

Hearing that his T300 has had to be sent away 4 times doesn't give me the confidence to say to myself ; " Oh yes , I must have that experience " . Not even just on this alone of course . Just thought it was worth a mention .

To be fair, that wasn't the question. Johnny said you keep bringing up anecdotal evidence of T300 issues, and your response to that was that you didn't read it from a forum, it was from a friend of a friend. gt500 simply pointed out that it is still anecdotal evidence, whether it's from a friend of a friend, or a forum.

To be fair, that wasn't the question. Johnny said you keep bringing up anecdotal evidence of T300 issues, and your response to that was that you didn't read it from a forum, it was from a friend of a friend. gt500 simply pointed out that it is still anecdotal evidence, whether it's from a friend of a friend, or a forum.

I get your point , however i'm still concerned about that wheels failures and build quality . We can go round in circles all day and claim it's a minority that have had issues etc , but i'm taking all the pros and cons onboard .

If I blindly bought it without looking deep into it and it failed , I wouldn't be impressed . To put it mildly .

I get your point , however i'm still concerned about that wheels failures and build quality . We can go round in circles all day and claim it's a minority that have had issues etc , but i'm taking all the pros and cons onboard .

If I blindly bought it without looking deep into it and it failed , I wouldn't be impressed . To put it mildly .

Yeah I was only pointing out that your reply wasn't actually addressing what you were asked, that's all.

I too was more than a little concerned with all the reports of reliability issues. But if you dig around, you'll find that kind of thing with all of the wheels.

I've only ever owned a logitech wheel, and that was unreliable, cheaply built, and didn't work very well. I fixed it by dismantling it and rebuilding the frame, reorganising it's structure, and changing the gear ratio, to make it more responsive. I also modded the hell outta the pedals, but they were still rubbish lol.

I'm buying Fanatec gear, despite reading a lot of problems people have had with reliability of Fanatec wheels (mostly burnt out motors in CSR elites and CSW V1s).

I haven't personally used the top of the range TM wheels, but I have a lot of experience with DFGT, G25 and G27. I've also used the Fanatec porsche wheels (GT2 and GT3). I found the Fanatec wheels in another league to the Logitech products. Logitech wheels just feel more toy-like to me.

Actual measurements (using Wheelcheck or others) are reporting the G29 has the exact same FFB deadzone (16% at 100FFB) and linearity as the G27 (see Project CARS and other forums). So it's not a surprise that it feels the same: it actually is the same. Which means that the dynamic range of the wheel is very limited compared to the competition and linearity is also not in the same ballpark. You're buying a 2010 wheel for 2015 price, and lose a shifter in the process.

Still, if people are happy with that who am I to judge them? But I would pick a T300 + pedals over this any day.

Logitech wheels just feel more toy-like to me.
I think the correct term would be 'cheap', since it's all toys in the end. Some are more expensive/higher quality toys than others though. ;)

Feels more toy-like, in that Logi wheels feel like toys, and not like a real car's steering wheel and pedals. As opposed to the Fanatec wheels and pedals I've used, which felt like items you'd actually find in a real car. Besides, I consider my real car more of a toy than a serious a - b mode of transport anyway lol.

Did you even read what I wrote ? ( Lost count of how many times i've even had to ask you this ) . I didn't say I read that users problem on a forum . I know this guy through association .
As @Mike_grpA points out, A guy you know through association = anecdotal evidence. You can't make broad and sweeping conclusions about anything from a handful of anecdotal pieces of feedback. Who would have guessed for example that 75% of people polled would still have bought PCars even knowing what they know now about the state of the game? I would have though with all the negativity around here the numbers would be far lower in favour.

The crux of the problem for me is reputation. If I am buying a car, certain brands have a built in perceived value based on positive or negative reviews. A single bad customer service experience can tarnish a customer for life on that brand. And those people are the most vocal of all.

And people also buy based on personal experiences. So, my 2002 Ford Expedition and 1996 4Runner have been trouble free for over 160k miles each. Based on my personal experience I would buy these brands again. Also, based on my trouble free 3 year ownership of my DFGT toy I would buy from this company as well (coupled with many racing buddies who rave over the quality and customer service of Logitech).

My personal experience coupled with some negative reputation acquired by Thrustmaster will lead me to buy the G29 even if it's performance were slightly worse on paper.

Even though a certain car may be faster on the track, I would buy a slightly lower performance car if I thought it would be more reliable or the dealer had nicer employees who went the extra mile to help me.

You speak of anecdotal evidence. If one of my good friends tells me that his good friend had a terrible experience at a dealer, that dealer would lose a bit of my respect even though I had never been there. If I did happen to go there I would do so with my guard already up.

Now if I had bought my DFGT and had a problem with it then I would be leaning toward another brand. My budget keeps me from accessorizing, it also keeps me from high end products. But I want a better driving experience than the low end DFGT as well as PS4 compatibility so the G29 comes at a perfect time for me.

Last edited:
As @Mike_grpA points out, A guy you know through association = anecdotal evidence. You can't make broad and sweeping conclusions about anything from a handful of anecdotal pieces of feedback. Who would have guessed for example that 75% of people polled would still have bought PCars even knowing what they know now about the state of the game? I would have though with all the negativity around here the numbers would be far lower in favour.

But others good or bad experiences need to be considered , as Joe W puts here . It's reputation that encourages me and many others to consider a product . Project Cars is a little different , massively overhyped from the get go , somehow the developers managed to keep all of the glaringly obvious bugs from the public before launch . Bugs that when you play , you just look at it and think ; " Did Stevie Wonder partake in beta testing and sign this off as ready ? "

Is it a great simulator ? Absolutely . Is it anywhere near 100% fixed yet ? Nope . If you're comparing a product that is impressive but is full of bugs to the T300 then I really don't have much confidence whatsoever in that wheel . Reputation and customer feedback is paramount in any business .

The crux of the problem for me is reputation. If I am buying a car, certain brands have a built in perceived value based on positive or negative reviews. A single bad customer service experience can tarnish a customer for life on that brand. And those people are the most vocal of all.

And people also buy based on personal experiences. So, my 2002 Ford Expedition and 1996 4Runner have been trouble free for over 160k miles each. Based on my personal experience I would buy these brands again. Also, based on my trouble free 3 year ownership of my DFGT toy I would buy from this company as well (coupled with many racing buddies who rave over the quality and customer service of Logitech).

My personal experience coupled with some negative reputation acquired by Thrustmaster will lead me to buy the G29 even if it's performance were slightly worse on paper.

Even though a certain car may be faster on the track, I would buy a slightly lower performance car if I thought it would be more reliable or the dealer had nicer employees who went the extra mile to help me.

You speak of anecdotal evidence. If one of my good friends tells me that his good friend had a terrible experience at a dealer, that dealer would lose a bit of my respect even though I had never been there. If I did happen to go there I would do so with my guard already up.

Now if I had bought my DFGT and had a problem with it then I would be leaning toward another brand. My budget keeps me from accessorizing, it also keeps me from high end products. But I want a better driving experience than the low end DFGT as well as PS4 compatibility so the G29 comes at a perfect time for me.

👍

Just going to clear things up here.. (being a smart ass on purpose so take it for what it is)

T300 -
Wheel turn feel good (fancy rubber chain like device inside with zippy motor)
wussy stop pedal and no manly 3rd pedal
less durable (cheap air blowy thing wiring done by intro to electronics)
Customer service some say it sucks some say it is great (I vote good my turn around time was 23 days from day I reported issue to the day my replacement arrived)
Fun to use for racing games

G29 -
Wheel turn feel OK (G27 with new buttons - seriously super proven lasts from stone age till we live on mars)
heavy stop pedal and manly 3rd pedal
Customer service some say it sucks some say it is great
Fun to use for racing games

Any questions?

Last edited:
Back