• Thread starter Lanius1984
  • 317 comments

Which Wheel would you choose?

• Thrustmaster T300RS

Votes: 202 69.9%
  • Logitech G29

Votes: 87 30.1%

• Total voters
Just going to clear things up here.. (being a smart ass on purpose so take it for what it is)

T300 -
Wheel turn feel good (fancy rubber chain like device inside with zippy motor)
wussy stop pedal and no manly 3rd pedal
less durable (cheap air blowy thing wiring done by intro to electronics)
Customer service some say it sucks some say it is great (I vote good my turn around time was 23 days from day I reported issue to the day my replacement arrived)
Fun to use for racing games

G29 -
Wheel turn feel OK (G27 with new buttons - seriously super proven lasts from stone age till we live on mars)
heavy stop pedal and manly 3rd pedal
Customer service some say it sucks some say it is great

Any questions?

Yes .

What issue did you have with the T300 ? Is it a common issue ? Are you expecting it to fail again ? Do you feel it's acceptable that you had an issue in the first place ? And finally , have you tried the G29 personally ?

Yes .
Is it a common issue ?
Can't answer unless he's a statistician.
Are you expecting it to fail again ?
Can't answer unless he's a psychic.
Do you feel it's acceptable that you had an issue in the first place ?
Who would ever answer yes to this question about any product, ever?

Obvious bias is obvious.

He could answer the first question if the product had a known issue (problems reported to the manufacturer in large quantities) or an issue that the manufacturer was aware of (recalls etc). Statistician skills unnecessary.

Psychic skills unnecessary as well. I expect my car to break down one day simply because it is inevitable. If it had a known issue I would expect that particular problem to surface sooner rather than later.

As to your last point, I assume you all answered yes to this question regarding PCars' problems. Otherwise you all would have demanded refunds or stopped playing after day 1. But apparently you found it acceptable that you had an issue. Unacceptable would imply that you discovered a problem, did not accept it and decided to stop using the product until it was acceptable. But since you continued to use the faulty product we can only assume you accepted the faults.

Obvious bias is obvious.

You normally have better arguments than this , you're not trying hard enough :lol:

If I was biased i'd have a new wheel already ...

Just going to clear things up here.. (being a smart ass on purpose so take it for what it is)

T300 -
Wheel turn feel good (fancy rubber chain like device inside with zippy motor)
wussy stop pedal and no manly 3rd pedal
less durable (cheap air blowy thing wiring done by intro to electronics)
Customer service some say it sucks some say it is great (I vote good my turn around time was 23 days from day I reported issue to the day my replacement arrived)

G29 -
Wheel turn feel OK (G27 with new buttons - seriously super proven lasts from stone age till we live on mars)
heavy stop pedal and manly 3rd pedal
Customer service some say it sucks some say it is great

Any questions?

Yup! What about noise, ergonomics, heat, modularity, drivers/firmware updates - because the T300 wins in all of those categories.

And how soon do you expect us all to live on Mars because Logitech wheels arent that strong and both the G27 and the G29 (reports of DOAs) do have their certain failure rates as well.

Yup! What about noise, ergonomics, heat, modularity, drivers/firmware updates - because the T300 wins in all of those categories.

And how soon do you expect us all to live on Mars because Logitech wheels arent that strong and both the G27 and the G29 (reports of DOAs) do have their certain failure rates as well.

I did manage to semi break my upshift paddle on my old DFGT , back in the GT5 days when I was competing alot in a GTP championship . The end result of this was occasional double upshift . However , I did have a tendency to aggressively upshift in the heat of the moment . Blamed myself for that more than the product as i'm a strong kinda guy .

He could answer the first question if the product had a known issue (problems reported to the manufacturer in large quantities) or an issue that the manufacturer was aware of (recalls etc). Statistician skills unnecessary.
If a product has known issues, you don't need to ask a random person on the internet about their anecdotal experience to discover these known issues so the question would be redundant.
Psychic skills unnecessary as well. I expect my car to break down one day simply because it is inevitable. If it had a known issue I would expect that particular problem to surface sooner rather than later.
If the answer is, "it's inevitable" you don't need to ask a random person on the internet about their anecdotal experience to discover what you already know so the question would be redundant.
As to your last point, I assume you all answered yes to this question regarding PCars' problems. Otherwise you all would have demanded refunds or stopped playing after day 1. But apparently you found it acceptable that you had an issue. Unacceptable would imply that you discovered a problem, did not accept it and decided to stop using the product until it was acceptable. But since you continued to use the faulty product we can only assume you accepted the faults.
That wasn't the question. The question was, "do you feel it's acceptable that you had an issue in the first place?", not, "were you still happy with the product in spite of the issue?" I've never bought anything and felt it was ok if it was defective. I have bought things that are defective however, and worked around it for various reasons. Read it a couple of times and you'll see the distinction.

So you answered Yes. Ok. Perfect.

Also, all things break eventually. The factors affecting the when is quality of construction and materials. Not technology or price.

As for buying outdated technology, many manufacturers have taken certain models and produced them over many years with little or no changes while raising prices every year. These vehicle models lasted and sold well for so long due to reliability and reputation. Not cutting edge technology.

Examples that spring to mind:

Kawasaki Concours (86-06)
Volkswagen Beetle (38-90's)
Porsche 911 air cooled
Ford Mustang 3rd Gen (79-93)

So most of you say not to buy brand new models, and now you won't buy tried and true. So what the heck DO you buy?

Last edited:
I haven't had a single problem with my T300 that wasn't the game's fault. Loss of FFB and clipping are, to me, an issue with the game, not the wheel, and when i say game, i mean pCARS. Zero issues when i used to play Driveclub with it.

The fan goes on for a while though, something i sorted out by updating the firmware, but then SMS updated their FFB settings so now the fan is on for as long as it originally was. Thrustmaster inform me that's also a software issue, not the wheel, and i'm inclined to agree, although i don't know for sure.

The only real issue i have with this wheel is the mounting method from rim to base. My wheel creaks more than i'd like, if they had a more robust clamp or something it would be better, but nothing's perfect.

I've had no experience with Logitech wheels, but am well happy with my T300.

My issue with my original T300 was a clicking/clunking feeling when turning left and right around the center. Some people get it and just ignore it as the wheel still works. I was annoyed with it so I RMA'd it.

Obviously I do not think it is OK after 41 days for it to have an issue.

No I do not own a G29.. or a G27 but I have used a G27 and own a DFGT.

Thrustmaster sent me a reworked inspected T300 that is very smooth, the fan pushes more air than my original, and no I do not expect it to happen again with normal use over the next year. But when I bought it I did not expect the life span to be longer than 1.5 years.

I have done all sorts of racing in my life from RC cars to go karts, to dirt oval to junk cars (LeMons) and I know that the T300 fits in the class of nice features but not durable and needs accessories. It is great for people who like to MOD as a better fan and some reworking on the inside helps it I am sure, just like some of the fast but mid to low price RC cars I raced where I would constantly have to do work on it and make some of my own parts to make it last a full race event, there were other brands that were stong and fast but cost 2-3x as much (thinking high end CSWv2 or direct drive), also the strong but heavy and slower brand that was equal price to the fast and not durable but still really fun and if well driven could be competative (hey this is the G29 class in my mind)

IMO - The T300 It is over priced by $100 and should cost $299.99 in the USA for what it is. If it included the T3PA pedals than yes $399 is OK price.

Since I am no longer doing any other racing hobbies, I went for the T300 and figured I would ahve to update it or replace sooner but that is fine for me for the enjoyment vs cost I get.

I am also an idiot in general so take everything I say lightly.

If a product has known issues, you don't need to ask a random person on the internet about their anecdotal experience to discover these known issues so the question would be redundant.
If the answer is, "it's inevitable" you don't need to ask a random person on the internet about their anecdotal experience to discover what you already know so the question would be redundant.
That wasn't the question. The question was, "do you feel it's acceptable that you had an issue in the first place?", not, "were you still happy with the product in spite of the issue?" I've never bought anything and felt it was ok if it was defective. I have bought things that are defective however, and worked around it for various reasons. Read it a couple of times and you'll see the distinction.

Same usual answer , same usual answer , plus a clarification of what I was asking someone else .

So if we go with your premise that peoples wheel experiences typed on a screen are null and void , all anecdotal and shouldn't even be considered , then what's the point of reading anything on the Internet exactly ? Do I have to be sat in the same room as a guy with a T300 to see if it works well or is broken for you to consider that a ' Real opinion ' or event ?

If it happened to one it can happen to many , most or all . It's determining if there are several instances of the same issue from multiple sources that determines the validity of the information presented , correct ?

If you don't follow the logic in that above statement then herein lies the issue of your understanding .

@Spitfire77 👍

As for buying outdated technology, many manufacturers have taken certain models and produced them over many years with little or no changes while raising prices every year. These vehicle models lasted and sold well for so long due to reliability and reputation. Not cutting edge technology.

Examples that spring to mind:

Kawasaki Concours (86-06)
Volkswagen Beetle (38-90's)
Porsche 911 air cooled
Ford Mustang 3rd Gen (79-93)

So most of you say not to buy brand new models, and now you won't buy tried and true. So what the heck DO you buy?

I think you missed my point mate. I didn't say anything about what other people buy. I said I wouldn't buy a new car that was unchanged from a ten year old model for the same price as a new car with new tech and much better performance.

I understand that plenty of people bought VW Beetles, but that doesn't make it a good car, or a worthwhile purchase. They are horrible little rot boxes with no performance, and their reliability isn't any better than average. Personally, I don't buy something because plenty of other people have bought it.

Of the three cars you listed, the only one you could argue was any good is the 911, though the other two sold far better. That to me says more about good marketing, than product quality. Most people aren't too intelligent, so to say something is popular is not to say it's good, just that it's been marketed well to the masses.

The Toyota Corolla is the best selling car in history, but it certainly isn't the best performer...

Obviously you never owned those vehicles. A Toyota 4Runner is another example. There are plenty of examples of excellent products using older technology while providing similar performance and better reliability.

You are missing MY point.

The G29 isn't some ancient abacus dug up from a ruins compared to the T300 being a new super computer. The G29 has better pedals, shift lights, and a leather wheel. Like it or not, the Logitech company has a better reputation for reliability. The T300 has a better FFB and that's it.

Both wheels should cost less but they don't.

Based on all these factors I will probably be purchasing the G29.

I've said this in another thread, but if you are on the verge of buying a wheel this year, maybe it would be a good idea to wait on Fanatec's successor to the CSR.

With both the G29 and the T300 you have compromises, so with a bit of luck the new CSR will offer the best of both worlds at the same price.

Obviously you never owned those vehicles. A Toyota 4Runner is another example. There are plenty of examples of excellent products using older technology while providing similar performance and better reliability.

You are missing MY point.

The G29 isn't some ancient abacus dug up from a ruins compared to the T300 being a new super computer. The G29 has better pedals, shift lights, and a leather wheel. Like it or not, the Logitech company has a better reputation for reliability. The T300 has a better FFB and that's it.

Both wheels should cost less but they don't.

I didn't miss your point at all. I said what I would and wouldn't do, and you replied to me as if I was claiming what other people do. That's you missing my point, not the other way around.

I haven't owned those cars, but I have driven a Beetle, and it was total rubbish. But that's beside the point.

The G29 is a wheel, sold at the same price as the T300, which uses the same tech as the G25 and G27. The only differences being the sensors and a piece of rubber in the brake pedal. Nobody said it was ancient, or that the T300 is a super computer in comparison. The T300 has better FFB, which is kind of the whole point of buying a FFB wheel isn't it? It's also upgradable, which the G29 isn't.

The G29 pedals are only marginally better, and only because it has a clutch. Neither wheel has good pedals IMO, they're both cheap, plastic pedal sets. You can buy a full metal set for the T300 if you really want though.

Shift lights are a gimmick, and the G29's lights are so tiny you would literally never use them to know when to shift. Of all the time I've spent playing racing games, I've never thought "I could really use a series of tiny shift lights on my wheel". A leather wrapped wheel is ok to have, but it doesn't exactly make or break the item.

So the G29 has slightly better pedals, a leather wrapped rim, and shift lights, but the T300 provides a more realistic feedback, and also with the more powerful motor, the wheel spins faster, which makes it more responsive. The add on shifter for the G29 is an all plastic thing with no feel at all, and the add on shifter for the T300 is an all metal item that by all accounts is brilliant to use.

Considering I wouldn't be buying a FFB wheel for shift lights, and if I wanted a leather wrapped rim, I could buy a leather wheel wrap off ebay for like $10 and put it on the rim myself, The most important things to me would be wheel response and FFB strength. Both of which the T300 is well ahead of the G29.

Edit: I definitely agree with you on price though, they should both be cheaper than they are. The T300 should be $100 cheaper, and the G29 should be $200 cheaper. If the G29 was at that price point I would buy it. At the same price as the significantly better T300, I won't.

I've said this in another thread, but if you are on the verge of buying a wheel this year, maybe it would be a good idea to wait on Fanatec's successor to the CSR.

With both the G29 and the T300 you have compromises, so with a bit of luck the new CSR will offer the best of both worlds at the same price.
I checked their site the other day and it doesn't seem like $400 buys you very much. Can you get a complete setup (wheel, paddle shifter and pedals) for around $400?

The Fanatec stuff is top notch but the price point seems top notch as well :)

I checked their site the other day and it doesn't seem like $400 buys you very much. Can you get a complete setup (wheel, paddle shifter and pedals) for around $400?
A CSR or Porsche RS wheel + basic CSR pedals and the shifter would run you about that amount. Mind you that they increased their prices quite a lot a while ago, so i don't know if that setup is still that good of a deal.

Aside from that they currently only offer the wheelbase+ rim kind of combo, and that is already way too expensive in comparison. But it is a league higher than a T300/ G29/ CSR for sure.

What i meant was that they are currently developing a new wheel for Xbone and PC (and hopefully PS4 too), that will be competing with what Thrustmaster and Logitech are offering, and theres a very good chance it will beat them both with regards to technology and finishing. I hope it is announced this year still so i would look out for that.

The Fanatec stuff is top notch but the price point seems top notch as well :)

I can't say for sure in US dollars, as our tax is different, but it should be cheaper for you guys anyway. But here's what I found with new Fanatec gear.

For comparison, in aussie dollars, a G29 is a little over $500, and a T300 is a little under $500.

A Fanatec CSR, which, going off reviews from guys like the ISR guys, is closer to the FFB performance of a T300 than it is to a G29. Has three FFB motors, belt drive, and is cross platform compatible (minus Xbone), Plus CSR Elite pedals, which is a mostly metal construction three pedal set, with load cell brake, so much better than either T300 or G29 pedals, costs $459, so around $40 less than a T300 or G29.

The CSR seems to have pretty good reliability too. I've read heaps about all of these wheels, as I was in the market for a new wheel until recently, and I haven't found a lot of reliability problems posted about CSR wheels.

The CSR seems to have pretty good reliability too. I've read heaps about all of these wheels, as I was in the market for a new wheel until recently, and I haven't found a lot of reliability problems posted about CSR wheels.
I have mine for 2 years now, and only had the little joystick failing due to my own abuse. Customer service was excellent and i had it fixed and returned quite fast.

I also have the Porsche RS v2, and although it is a lot better looking i seem to prefer my CSR.

Yeah I understood you. I just saw all the super expensive things they have now and figured that brand would be way out of reach. But if they are planning a lower priced setup with better performance I'd be all over it.

I have mine for 2 years now, and only had the little joystick failing due to my own abuse. Customer service was excellent and i had it fixed and returned quite fast.

This is good to hear mate, as I've just organised to buy one off a mate. It's only got 3 months of casual use on it, so should be as new. Getting CSP V1s off another mate cheap too. All up it's only costing me $250 aud. I can't wait to pick them up (they both live about 400kms away from me, so I won't get them 'till I go down for a visit in a couple of weeks).

This is good to hear mate, as I've just organised to buy one off a mate. It's only got 3 months of casual use on it, so should be as new. Getting CSP V1s off another mate cheap too. All up it's only costing me $250 aud. I can't wait to pick them up (they both live about 400kms away from me, so I won't get them 'till I go down for a visit in a couple of weeks).
Sounds like an excellent deal.

This is good to hear mate, as I've just organised to buy one off a mate. It's only got 3 months of casual use on it, so should be as new. Getting CSP V1s off another mate cheap too. All up it's only costing me $250 aud.

For that money, you are barely paying anything for the wheel itself. Mod the pedals with an rc shock and you've effectively got V2 pedals aside from the degressive clutch mechanism. People are paying a lot for those, used.

A good deal.

Two of those are just rumble motors in the rim.

For that money, you are barely paying anything for the wheel itself. Mod the pedals with an rc shock and you've effectively got V2 pedals aside from the degressive clutch mechanism. People are paying a lot for those, used.

A good deal.

Yeah I'm aware two of the motors in the base are for effects, like abs or engine effects, but I like that. The other one is a nicely powerful motor driving the wheel.

Yeah I'm pretty happy about having waited. I've spent about six months trying to decide which wheel to get. Must have read a novel of info on them all in that time lol. I actually decided on the CSR before my friend agreed to sell me his, as even new they are priced pretty well for the quality. I'm most happy about getting the CSPs for $100. I used them back when that friend bought them, with his GT3RS, and the quality of those pedals is in another world to other sets I've used (haven't used V2s or V3s).

Good idea about the mod, cheers for that, I'll definitely look into doing that. 👍

I just went back to their site to see what I was missing. I was looking at the wheel base and thought you had to buy the base, rim etc etc. But I see now that the basic setups are the GT2, GT3RS and the Forza CSR. These come with their own base (not as serious as the Clubsport base) and wheel. So for $180-250 and a set of CSR Elite Pedals at $150 I should be able to get a nice multi platform setup that is better than a T300 or G29 for less than $400?

Am I missing something here? Is this setup going to be a lot better than the T300 or G29?

The Forza wheel looks nice in aluminum but they are out of stock. As well as out of stock on the GT3RS wheel. Is this common or are they phasing them out for newer stuff?

Same usual answer , same usual answer , plus a clarification of what I was asking someone else .

So if we go with your premise that peoples wheel experiences typed on a screen are null and void , all anecdotal and shouldn't even be considered , then what's the point of reading anything on the Internet exactly ? Do I have to be sat in the same room as a guy with a T300 to see if it works well or is broken for you to consider that a ' Real opinion ' or event ?

If it happened to one it can happen to many , most or all . It's determining if there are several instances of the same issue from multiple sources that determines the validity of the information presented , correct ?

If you don't follow the logic in that above statement then herein lies the issue of your understanding .

@Spitfire77 👍
I didn't say anecdotal evidence was null and void, but it must be taken with a grain of salt. There are probably tens of thousands of T300's in use at this point and we've seen maybe a handful of complaints here on the forum. People love to complain, far fewer take the time to praise. Old saying in the service business: Unhappy customers will tell 20x more people about their experience than that happy ones. The defect rate could be 1-2% for all we know, but you seem bound and determined to draw conclusions about each wheel based on a handful of posts on a forum while at the same time completely ignoring all the posts that speak about issues with the G27 and all the positive posts about the T300.

I just went back to their site to see what I was missing. I was looking at the wheel base and thought you had to buy the base, rim etc etc. But I see now that the basic setups are the GT2, GT3RS and the Forza CSR. These come with their own base (not as serious as the Clubsport base) and wheel. So for $180-250 and a set of CSR Elite Pedals at $150 I should be able to get a nice multi platform setup that is better than a T300 or G29 for less than $400?

Am I missing something here? Is this setup going to be a lot better than the T300 or G29?

The Forza wheel looks nice in aluminum but they are out of stock. As well as out of stock on the GT3RS wheel. Is this common or are they phasing them out for newer stuff?

I dunno if they're phasing them out or not mate, it says the CSR is available on the aus version of the site. It does say out of stock on the GT3RS V2, but I guess you could contact them to find out if you need to order them in advance or something.

The CSR and CSR Elite pedals are out of stock on the aus site, but again, you could contact them to ask. They still have the discount bundles for the CSR and GT3, which both come with the standard CSR pedals (non-load cell). The GT3 bundle is $250au and the CSR bundle is $300au.

As far as I understand it, the base is the same on all porsche wheels, and the CSR Forza wheel uses the last version of that base, so it'll be the best built out of them all. The CSR rim is also lighter than the Porsche ones, so you'll get better response and a more subtle feel from the FFB. That's why I decided the CSR was the go. For the price I think it's gotta be the best wheel on the market, bang for buck wise.

As far as if you're missing something, no I don't think you are. If you bought a CSR, with CSR Elite pedals, you'll pay less than either T300 or G29 for a wheel base that from everything I've come accross is pretty close to the FFB quality of the T300, with less reports of reliability problems, and a mostly metal constructed 3 pedal set with a load cell brake, so another league to the G29's or T300's pedals.

The only downside I can see is you won't have the menu support of the officially supported wheels on ps4. Personally I can live without it, as every dev will add support for Fanatec wheels anyway, and I never used a wheel to scroll through the ps3's menu, I always used the ds3 for menus and the wheel for the game only.

Edit: Here's a couple of reviews for the CSR. The only real gripe anyone has is the plastic top part of the rim, but I plan to wrap mine, in either a carbon vinyl, or more likely, I'll cut and shape a leather wheel wrap to fit, glue it at the edges and stitch it at the inner seam.

Last edited:
Back