Where have you been having your fun?

• Thread starter crowhop
  • 544 comments
No I meant like, do you have a suggestion for a League that sort of fits my needs :cheers: Then I of course noticed the Snail Racing in your sig.

More I think about it, the more it seems like I can't get what I want from PC2 in terms of online. Like GT Sport had the FIA races almost every day before and I could just drop in and have excellent runs with people. There doesn't seem to be anything as streamlined as that.. unless there is a league on here that runs daily races?

Started messing around in PC2 again last week or so. I finally managed to finish the WSCR series in Career, as I had played through a number of championships some months ago when I last played and then started on this one and burnt out. Got that out of the way and then didn't feel particularly enthused on doing more career stuff.. so I started trying out Multiplayer.

Very conflicted with this game. Is GT3/GTE the only thing anyone ever hosts? There's plenty of rooms, not many car type varieties, and the GT3 lobbies are the only ones with decent number of people in them. It's kinda annoying. I'm more interested in doing Vintage stuff I guess, and I want longer races with weather and day/night etc. Half the lobbies I join are ruined by some idiot just smashing into everyone at T1 on purpose.

Anyway, playing this in VR is great and the behavior of the cars and my inputs feels so much better than GT Sport.. except GT Sport has some actual matchmaking and daily races that I can just plop into if I want. It seems like some kind of online league is the only way I'd get something better in PC2 but I kinda just want to have.. less structured fun? By that I mean, lets have like a whole 6 race Vintage championship on 1 day, rather than having one race every couple weeks or whatever. I want multi-class racing. I want to just click a button in the game and I'm in some on-going group. Or I go into a room and idiots are kicked and banned immediately. UGGGHH what do I do..

Also, because I just started Multiplayer, my license rating thing is rock bottom and doing races seems to hardly effect it even though I'm running with much higher rated people at the front of the grid usually.

Edit: And they should update/add more of the Motorsports Preset events. Rather than it being "Endurance!" it should be a bunch of different decades of GT car types that are based in reality.
GT3/GTE is basically the only thing anyone does online with any kind of consistency. If you can get online in peak hours on the weekends, you might find some TC, GT4, LMP, Formula Renault, and maybe some Group A, VGTA. Those aren’t super common though. During the middle of the week though, if you’re talking about just jumping on at random hours for a couple quick races (as opposed to camping the open lobby all day long), then GT3 or GTE is pretty much all you’ll find.

Most people who host lobbies go with super basic settings, rarely messing around with things like time change. You’ll find the odd lobby host who knows how to setup some cool weather and time scenarios, but because it takes a lot of messing about to get a hang of those settings, most people just skip them. Furthermore, races that change from wet to dry, or dry to wet, are extremely rare online, mostly because the community gave up on them after online pit stops turned out to be a complete gong show.

On weekends, it is possible to find longer duration races, sometimes lasting up to an hour. Often times, these lobbies have long practice and quali sessions before the race. The room will fill up to 16 people, most of whom fail to notice the hour long race. The race will start, there will be the usual massive crash at T1, and then 1/2 to 3/4 of the lobby will quit. In over 2000 online races in PC1 and PC2, I’ve seen maybe 5 open lobby races over 20 minutes in length finish with 10 or more people remaining in the race.

For unstructured fun, I’d say you’d have to find a league or series that does those type of events. Pretty much the only lobby you’ll find in the open lobby is quick race shuffle rooms (either track shuffle, or track and car shuffle). Sometimes, hosts won’t even change track....Monza or Leguna Seca all day er’day.

To get your license up, you have to focus on two things. The letter, that’s you’re safety rating. To increase that, don’t get track limit penalties, don’t make contact (even if someone hits you, you get a negative rating for the collision), and focus on getting clean overtakes. The easiest way to cheese this stat is to do races with manditory pit stops, start at the back, pit at the end of lap one, then pass everyone as they take their manditory stop. These count as “clean overtakes”.

The number is your “skill rating”. It will drop by massive amounts (I’ve seen as high as 50) if you quit a race (even to spectate), get DC’d from a race, or the best one, if you get kicked (I think they removed the kick option, so now it’s impossible to remove trolls from lobbies). To increase this number, you must finish ahead of drivers who have a higher rating. Beating drivers with a higher rating causes it to go up. Beating drivers with an equal or worse rating causes it to go up one or two points, or stay even. Getting beat by drivers with a higher rating will cause it to go down one or two points, or stay even. Getting beat by drivers with a lower rating will cause it to drop. The larger the grid, the more people who finish behind you, the more points you’ll get. The points you get are based on the number of people in the lobby when the race ends....meaning if you start 16th, pass 14 people, and then they all quit....you could still potentially lose points if the guy in first has a lower rating than you.

Most people in random lobbies will quit if they decide they’re not going to win, usually in the first lap. No matter what game. I’ve given up all hope when it comes to random online racing. Not worth the hassle. Sounds like the only way to have a decent online experience is to put in the time and effort to find an established league that suits you (if possible). That, or compare hotlap times.

Seems the only worthwhile games are GTS and iRacing when it comes to random lobbies. And both have their flaws anyway, so I just play offline the majority of the time.

Yeap, it sucks. Seeing all the GT3 lobbies makes me kinda understand why the new Assetto Corsa Competizione is just those cars. Remember GT Legends though? Make another one of those! :lol:

I stumbled upon a Vintage lobby with one guy, popped in and we just did practice and quali in silence together. Depressing. Couple people did eventually show up though but four people isn't much of a race. Funny part is, I made this setup for the 911 out of scratch as quick as I could to get it to drive in a way that I liked, put in a killer Quali time at the last min, lead the whole race and right at the last section of the last lap, I hear a thud (keep in mind I'm in VR) and suddenly my engine just dies in 5th gear and I swerve off the road into a wall.. I was like "Wtf? Did I blow my engine somehow?" and then I notice I had no controls. Turns out my mouse had somehow fallen off the desk and clicked out of the game window. My car was parked right in the middle of the road sideways for a good 10-15 seconds. Jumped back in the game and just as I get going the 2nd place guy passes me as I desperately try to chase him down with my steering wheel at like a 45 degree angle :banghead:

That was one of the most hilariously dumb things that has ever happened to me with VR.

Yeap, it sucks. Seeing all the GT3 lobbies makes me kinda understand why the new Assetto Corsa Competizione is just those cars. Remember GT Legends though? Make another one of those! :lol:

I stumbled upon a Vintage lobby with one guy, popped in and we just did practice and quali in silence together. Depressing. Couple people did eventually show up though but four people isn't much of a race. Funny part is, I made this setup for the 911 out of scratch as quick as I could to get it to drive in a way that I liked, put in a killer Quali time at the last min, lead the whole race and right at the last section of the last lap, I hear a thud (keep in mind I'm in VR) and suddenly my engine just dies in 5th gear and I swerve off the road into a wall.. I was like "Wtf? Did I blow my engine somehow?" and then I notice I had no controls. Turns out my mouse had somehow fallen off the desk and clicked out of the game window. My car was parked right in the middle of the road sideways for a good 10-15 seconds. Jumped back in the game and just as I get going the 2nd place guy passes me as I desperately try to chase him down with my steering wheel at like a 45 degree angle :banghead:

That was one of the most hilariously dumb things that has ever happened to me with VR.

You are welcome to race in "Sick's Race Room" - we use the classic / vintage cars and tracks in Project Cars to run series inspired by historic events. Currently on Monday's we have the 1967 World Sports Car Championship incorporating multi-class with the Road G Mustang. On Wednesday's we are currently running the 1970 WSCC dates for the 917 and 512 incorporating multi-class with the Porsche 911 and Ferrari Daytona.

Upcoming in 2018 we have series for GTA, GTB, GTC, Group A, Porsche 908 multi-class and Group 6, 5 and 4 multi-class.
We do sometimes get some members from the USA, but they are normally retired - as a young guy I am guessing that the time of 20:30 BST (British Summer Time) is not going to fit with your schedule.

I strongly suggest that people forget about attempting to find good clean racing via random online lobbies (I've never been able to find them on any game I've tried). Joining a league takes slightly more discipline, but I am sure that most people could, if they made the effort, keep one or two slots a week clear - my wife and family know that for an hour or so twice a week I am unavailable due to league commitments. Once you join a league your gaming takes on a purpose - a direction and can become deeply satisfying (as well as sometimes frustrating) - the highs and lows are probably higher and lower just like they are with real racing.

There are several good leagues for the USA - the main ones can be found at the top of the list in the GT Planet online racing section - they are normally looking for new members.

Good luck with your racing and good luck with finding the right league(s) to join - once you have found one that meets your needs you won't be tempted again by the time wasting crash fest of random lobbies.

You are welcome to race in "Sick's Race Room" - we use the classic / vintage cars and tracks in Project Cars to run series inspired by historic events. Currently on Monday's we have the 1967 World Sports Car Championship incorporating multi-class with the Road G Mustang. On Wednesday's we are currently running the 1970 WSCC dates for the 917 and 512 incorporating multi-class with the Porsche 911 and Ferrari Daytona.

Upcoming in 2018 we have series for GTA, GTB, GTC, Group A, Porsche 908 multi-class and Group 6, 5 and 4 multi-class.
We do sometimes get some members from the USA, but they are normally retired - as a young guy I am guessing that the time of 20:30 BST (British Summer Time) is not going to fit with your schedule.

I strongly suggest that people forget about attempting to find good clean racing via random online lobbies (I've never been able to find them on any game I've tried). Joining a league takes slightly more discipline, but I am sure that most people could, if they made the effort, keep one or two slots a week clear - my wife and family know that for an hour or so twice a week I am unavailable due to league commitments. Once you join a league your gaming takes on a purpose - a direction and can become deeply satisfying (as well as sometimes frustrating) - the highs and lows are probably higher and lower just like they are with real racing.

There are several good leagues for the USA - the main ones can be found at the top of the list in the GT Planet online racing section - they are normally looking for new members.

Good luck with your racing and good luck with finding the right league(s) to join - once you have found one that meets your needs you won't be tempted again by the time wasting crash fest of random lobbies.

Appreciate it. What you're describing sounds awesome actually. Coincidence that I had actually been wondering if people attempt to recreate certain race events, maybe with certain weather patterns etc. And since I am jobless at the moment, 20:00 BST seems to be 3:00 PM EST for me which is great. Bad news? Based on your thread in the league section, it seems you operate on just PS4?

Vintage is definitely cool and I'm not against newer stuff, I'm just not really into the Prototypes and such. I like pretty much anything tin-top from the 60s to 90s era I guess.

And I continue my futile attempts at random lobbies and it's almost never very good. Tried to do a Le Mans race someone setup earlier today. Mass crash at that last chicane turn on rolling start and then maybe two laps in, some moron decided to turn his prototype around on the straight and drive right into me then quit. I did about 10 laps and 75% of the people had left so I said F it and exited. I see a number of legit looking lobbies but of course they are password protected.

Appreciate it. What you're describing sounds awesome actually. Coincidence that I had actually been wondering if people attempt to recreate certain race events, maybe with certain weather patterns etc. And since I am jobless at the moment, 20:00 BST seems to be 3:00 PM EST for me which is great. Bad news? Based on your thread in the league section, it seems you operate on just PS4?

Vintage is definitely cool and I'm not against newer stuff, I'm just not really into the Prototypes and such. I like pretty much anything tin-top from the 60s to 90s era I guess.

And I continue my futile attempts at random lobbies and it's almost never very good. Tried to do a Le Mans race someone setup earlier today. Mass crash at that last chicane turn on rolling start and then maybe two laps in, some moron decided to turn his prototype around on the straight and drive right into me then quit. I did about 10 laps and 75% of the people had left so I said F it and exited. I see a number of legit looking lobbies but of course they are password protected.

We are PS4 only and so are all the Leagues which I know about via GTPlanet.

I don't know if people on PC do historic recreations, but sometimes we use the original dates, start times and car liveries. We do use weather, but I tend to avoid replicating that because sometimes the track and car combination is already tricky and the addition of bad weather simply makes it too difficult. Bad weather is sometimes better on a wide, easy track rather than the original narrow, difficult track from History - we can't all be Pedro Rodriguez and lap the entire field five times in a 917 at a streaming wet Bands Hatch!

Good luck in your search!

I also agree with you guys when it comes to the quality of play when it comes to Online Lobbies in most of these games/sims.

Although, I have only recently focused more time on PC2 lately, as
I have mostly played GT. However, recently I've been on PC2 and Assetto Corsa more.

I think what Project Cars can do(and Assetto Corsa for that matter) to help this a bit, is real simple.. Just give us the ability to title the rooms.

To headline a room to say, hey this room is intended to be like this or that, goes a long way I think.

I also agree with you guys when it comes to the quality of play when it comes to Online Lobbies in most of these games/sims.

Although, I have only recently focused more time on PC2 lately, as
I have mostly played GT. However, recently I've been on PC2 and Assetto Corsa more.

I think what Project Cars can do (and Assetto Corsa for that matter) to help this a bit, is real simple.. Just give us the ability to title the rooms.

To headline a room to say, hey this room is intended to be like this or that, goes a long way I think.

I find it astounding that AC and PC could look at the massive numbers playing GT5/6, see the huge variety of both casual and organized League events, see the tools available to hosts to organize rooms how they saw fit, and then turn around and go 'Nah... We don't need any of that! At least for console plebes. We'll just give a few of these tools to the PC players, because that's all we care about.'

For me, the things that made GT5/6 a great racing game (despite the physics, AC and PC haven't even come close to being a great game) were room titles, the reverse grid option, shuffle, host kick, comprehensive options about power and weight and level of tuning, and enough cars that BoP could be achieved at almost any car level. Of course, we won't see GT6 numbers of cars in PC2 (or 3 or 4!) but a BoP system on the car Groups that aren't already BoP'd (GT3, GTE etc.) would open them up to be used for racing a lot more (maybe we wouldn't see the total domination of GT3 online!).

All of which are pretty much MIA not only on PC2, but AC as well (and some of these options are even dropped from GTS).

Graphics and physics march onwards, but gameplay is rapidly marching in reverse. And I see no reason other than hubris. Just because you want to be called a 'simulator' doesn't change the fact that it is a game. Dropping everything that made the most popular game a success isn't a particularly smart move IMHO...

I couldn't agree with you more.

To back up your point even further on how valuable Gran Turismos auxillary features are (used auxillary for lack of a better term) to people Ill tell you what I did.

Last October just prior to GT coming out, I had a tough choice to make. Either, buy a PS4 and a new wheel just so I can play GT or, spend that money on VR to go with my gaming PC to drive PC2, AC, I Racing and still to be able to use my G-27 seamlessly with no fuss etc. etc.

Well, after a few weeks of debating over this in my mind, I opted to go with the PS4 route.

So at the end of the day I put forth the importance of the practicality of communicating with the Sim community within a game, over the experience of greater technology at around the same cost.

This is why it's so important to have that side of a game, especially within the Sim Racing community as communicating is very important to us.

Sadly, I only have an older Mac, no PC with a bleeding edge graphics card and an Oculus, otherwise I rather feel I would have taken a different route to you. The player base for PC2 on the PC is massively larger than than the console player base, and, let's face it, this game is designed from the ground up for a PC and as we have to point out so often, utterly banjaxed on consoles due to the sloppy and careless port.

The PC version of the game addresses most of the issues that have crippled online participation on consoles. And graphics issues and grid size restrictions that plague PC2's console version are nonexistent. There are HUNDREDS of open public rooms up and running, you can see them all, you can sort through them all, and you don't get that 16 grid size limit, which pretty much makes multiclass a joke.

Maybe it's just me, but if I were designing a game, I'd look at the game with the highest participation numbers and study long and hard what exactly it is that made their online so popular. Then I'd copy it, lock stock and barrel. SMS should keep their handling models, their tire models, their graphics, sound, Livetrack, all the good stuff. But their online is hurting game participation on console. And look at those console sales numbers... Only an idiot wouldn't want a sizable piece of THAT!

I agree... SMS seem to be very smart coders. And very dumb game designers.

I agree... SMS seem to be very smart coders. And very dumb game designers.
Yikes

Anyway back on topic

One thing that has grown with me in this game is oval racing :) I never been a fan of oval track racing but in pc 2 i find myself doing endless laps around Indy, Daytona, Texas with my gtr of course :embarrassed::)

You have an alternative description for people that can put together the basics for an amazing racing simulation, then cripple it on consoles by designing the worst online lobby system ever created? :rolleyes:
Sure whatever you keep fighting the fight and i'll keep driving my gtr with a smile on my face :)

Just relized the use of using the weather progression multiplier, always had it to sync with race.

Multi class, Ginetta GT5's and Ginetta Junior (I like the junior, easy to drive, no need for tunning so you can just set up and race).

Weather slots 4, light rain, fog, heavy fog, overcast and X60 progression.

Great variance in water levels over the tracks with drying lines and it doesn't over saturate the track with puddles, shows off live track very well.

Here's a clip of one race, think I'll drop the gt5s as I ended up racing them near the end as I got into the 58's lol.

Nurb Sprint, AI 100, aggression 100.
Weather x4 slots, rain, light cloud, sun, Light cloud, x60 progression.

After 30min of runing in Fuji, it suck that in the last lap and in the last corner before the straight to finish you run out of fuel, it was painfull to watch all cars passing by me side, all the work to catch the first place after great battles and I couldn't finish the race... even so, I enjoyed the race a lot, the first 3 positions we were rotating them during all race in very cleaning ways, one of the best races that I've had.

Last nigth I qualified for the 3rd Ginette brand event race. You get to drive a fast track day Ginetta LM-ish car. There are two categories Trackday A and B. Very mixed field. So practice and qualifying is busy with fast and slower cars. Very cool hour on Sugo. I hope to do the race tonight.

I only race off line and I think PC2 is very very good at that.

Sometimes I will set up a multi class race and only do the practice session which I set for a long time like an hour. This gets cars from different classes to leave the pits at the same time and the entire track is staggered. Works quicker than doing a race and forcing a pit stop as that doesn't always mix up the field.

My favorite is an 80s version of IMSA with Group C as the prototype class and Group A as the GT class. Sometimes add Group 4 if track holds 32 cars

How the hell there are people who do less than 8:30:000 on Nurburgring Nordschleife with a GT3 car? The less I did after hours of practice is around 8:36:000 - 8:36:300...

How the hell there are people who do less than 8:30:000 on Nurburgring Nordschleife with a GT3 car? The less I did after hours of practice is around 8:36:000 - 8:36:300...

Practice. I spent weeks doing laps learning track. Got down to 8:30 from 9:00. I'm sure if I practice more I can get down to an 8:15 which is what they do in real life. I also studied videos on you tube and also track maps that had each corner with the ideal racing line, gear selection, and braking points.

That moment when you are racing against the AI and is very easy, you quit the race and adjust the skill setting from 90 to105 and when you restart the race the AI is 2 seconds per lap slower than before...
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

After getting bored of GTS due to the lack of tracks, I picked up PC2 for the PS4 in the Amazon Prime Day sale last week… only £16.

Thoroughly enjoying it so far. Graphics, user interface and load times are nowhere near as good as GTS, but there are so many great tracks, and the physics feel much more realistic (and better than AC IMO).

Last night I was running the 1st Advocate event I unlocked – Ginetta GT4 at Cadwell Park. Great track, decent car, decent challenge, but mostly, just great fun!

Cadwell, Donny, Knockhill & Oulton are all places I’ve done trackdays at in the past, so great to have them in a modern game.

Looking forward to finding more gems as I work through the game.

After getting bored of GTS due to the lack of tracks, I picked up PC2 for the PS4 in the Amazon Prime Day sale last week… only £16.

Thoroughly enjoying it so far. Graphics, user interface and load times are nowhere near as good as GTS, but there are so many great tracks, and the physics feel much more realistic (and better than AC IMO).

Last night I was running the 1st Advocate event I unlocked – Ginetta GT4 at Cadwell Park. Great track, decent car, decent challenge, but mostly, just great fun!

Cadwell, Donny, Knockhill & Oulton are all places I’ve done trackdays at in the past, so great to have them in a modern game.

Looking forward to finding more gems as I work through the game.
Bannockbrae, any car, especially the Group 5's. It will become your favourite fantasy track (waves hand to perform a Jedi mind trick) :)

On another note, I'm enjoying Road America atm. For some reason it feels more like a track over here in Britain than an American track. Nice flow, very green & a bit of elevation.

Last edited:
Bannockbrae, any car, especially the Group 5's. It will become your favourite fantasy track (waves hand to perform a Jedi mind trick) :)

On another note, I'm enjoying Road America atm. For some reason it feels more like a track over here in Britain than an American track. Nice flow, very green & a bit of elevation.

I haven't got to most of the tracks yet... I've only run a couple of the formula ford championships and the 1st Ginetta Championship in career, and done a few laps of the 'Ring in the GT3RS.

I remember Road America from another game I had some years ago - it has a nice flow to it.

So many cars and tracks to try!

Edit...

Are there any shortcuts I should know about when it comes to tuning? Things like 'mostly set brake balance to x'? Running Cadwell in thee GT4 Ginetta last night, I found much softer suspension helped me go a lot faster... is this typical, or car/track specific?

I've also struggled to get a consistent FF feeling - if I get it right for one car, when I move to another it feels rubbish and I need to go make changes again... am I missing something, or is the game just like this?

Last edited:
I haven't got to most of the tracks yet... I've only run a couple of the formula ford championships and the 1st Ginetta Championship in career, and done a few laps of the 'Ring in the GT3RS.

I remember Road America from another game I had some years ago - it has a nice flow to it.

Edit...

Are there any shortcuts I should know about when it comes to tuning? Things like 'mostly set brake balance to x'? Running Cadwell in thee GT4 Ginetta last night, I found much softer suspension helped me go a lot faster... is this typical, or car/track specific?

I've also struggled to get a consistent FF feeling - if I get it right for one car, when I move to another it feels rubbish and I need to go make changes again... am I missing something, or is the game just like this?
I'm the opposite, had the game since January & I haven't started career yet. To busy having fun/learning loads of different track/car combos.

Regarding tuning, I'm still learning so mostly try to learn different cars in their stable setup (I tweak the brakes to my liking though).

Regarding FFB, again I'm still learning (new to it myself) so not really the right person to ask, but I run immersive @ 50 50 50 50 on all cars & let the game auto tune out any clipping. (again I might tweak it here & there) tyre slip is the most important thing for me over all else, Only go a TMX which is the Xbox version of a T150.

Edit...

I would recommend staying away from tuning and just use loose and stable setups for now, stable will generally give you softer springs anyway and understeer. Loose is quicker and you can run quick laps with either.
Tyre choice and tyre temps have more of an effect than tuning (baring certain tracks like lemans), there is a post or thread some where which gives the optimal temps and pressure for tyres, I just keep them in the green :) and lower the rear temps a few psi for a long run.
Don't think there is any shortcuts like GT were you can have one certain base tune for every car and the transmission tune, but you can always download a tune from someone else if there available for the car via the tt boards which is my shortcut :).

Tyre's also dont work like F1 on certain classes, example gt3 tyres, use softs for cold tracks and hards for warm tracks.

FFB feeling is different per car yes, try a old mustang then try a LMP1, I think its related to the tyre or suspension model.
I dont know what feeling you are getting but I get a different feel in the weight with various cars, I still get the same details coming through the wheel at the same force though, just the weight of the wheel turning, hope you understand. Just dont expect the same feel as any other game, pc2 ffb I find is very good and gives good feedback even with a t150.
Some people have tone or volume (cant remember) so they can adjust it on the fly for each car.

Enjoy the game the offline content is great and online if you can find a decent group (random public rooms suck).

Ok, so WTF is up with powerful RED cars in the wet?

Just run sime of the invitationals... as an example... the lotus classic event at d Monza. I build a 3s lead in the 1st 2 laps, then start of the 3rd lap I suddenly can’t put the power down at all without the rear fishtailling everywhere, even if I short shift Meanwhile, the AI seems completely unaffected. Same with the British lightweights at snetteron in the Xbow.

Back