Which book are you currently reading?

Look what I found in my school library!

I think it's amazing that Planning For Freedom hasn't been touched in 35 years. Great essays for toilet reading in there.

Look how discolored the right side is. That's the side that gets exposed to the fluorescent lights while on the shelf.

So, yeah, I thought that was pretty sweet. Just look at that awful psychedelic typeface. I also finally found Against Intellectual Monopoly in book form, and while I was at it I also found Rothbard's Ethics of Liberty and Mises's Nation, State, and Economy. So I checked out everything-- even though they're all available (except for AIM I think) as PDFs at mises.org-- just in case I come down with Picard's Syndrome. Needless to say, I'm going to have to poop a lot between now and April 28th to get through everything. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Look what I found in my school library!

I think it's amazing that Planning For Freedom hasn't been touched in 35 years. Great essays for toilet reading in there.
You should have just offered to buy it. Clearly, no one else is using it.

And just as a head's up:
Planning for Freedom - $6.06

Personally, I prefer to own books.

Gerhard Berger - The human face of Formula 1 by Christopher Hilton

41MRG7BYTPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You should have just offered to buy it. Clearly, no one else is using it.

And just as a head's up:
Planning for Freedom - $6.06

Personally, I prefer to own books.

Why? It's free to check them out, and free to download from the Mises Institute. And I'd rather they keep it in their system just in case someone comes by it.

On Public Twin's recommendation, I'm finding Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes genuinely incredible. Wikipedia says it is considered the greatest work of fiction ever written, and so far I'm not finding that as stupid a claim as I'd initially laughed off.

Published in 1605 (part one) and 1615 (part two), it's surprisingly droll and utterly readable. Weirdly modern in tone and outlook. Almost post-modern the way the author winks at the reader, yet has such a relaxed yet beautiful writing style. Of course, it would be much better before being translated from Spanish - but that is something english speakers will never get a chance to fully enjoy.

You're absolutely right about Don Quixote. 👍 It's with good reason that it's generally considered to be a couple of centuries ahead of its time. I got to read sections of the untranslated work in my Spanish Literature class, which I very much enjoyed, but I realize that I wouldn't appreciate it at the level of depth that a native speaker would get to enjoy.

Currently, I'm in the middle of reading "The Gatekeepers," a book that goes inside the college admissions process. Even though I've already applied and received decisions from all of my schools, I still find it fascinating, in part because the college that it describes is Wesleyan University, which I'm considering, and the admissions officer that it follows is now my guidance counselor! I'm also about to start "The God Delusion," which I realize isn't a balanced work, but I believe that it will be quite an interesting read, as much for the outspokenness as for the sound arguments that the author presents.

Last edited:
Why? It's free to check them out, and free to download from the Mises Institute. And I'd rather they keep it in their system just in case someone comes by it.
It isn't a cost thing, it is a physical medium thing. I love the feel of pages from a printing press in my fingers. I love what printed books symbolize in the rise of man's intelligence (I have the same awed respect for locomotives), and how a printed page can spread an idea. A digital book can be deleted at the touch of a button, but just the image of destroying a printed book creates feelings of dread in people.

I have never thrown a book away or gotten rid of one in any way. My entire collection of books from my childhood are in a container in my attic, awaiting the day my children can read them. This includes, every single book in the original Hardy Boys series. I pour over library sales to save as many books as I can. I walk into old bookstores that are dark and dusty with more nooks and crannies than you can find in one visit, and as I walk between shelves and stacks I can feel the minds of men stored all around me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not some anti-tech freak who thinks that digital books and audiobooks are horrible, but nearly every audiobook I have bought from Audible I already have, or intend to buy, in print.

A library, while allowing access to many to those great printed books, merely tease me. When I find a book that grabs me I do not want to take it back when I am finished.

And when I feel someone I know needs to read a book, I buy them a copy. I can't count the number of copies of Atlas Shrugged I have purchased as gifts.

To get back on topic:

I am currently reading

51Z0KD2DSTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And

McCaffrey_skies_of_pern.jpg

Yes, two books at once. And I try to work non-fiction in every third book or so.

images

I'm reading this at the moment. The first of a trilogy. It was highly recommended to me by a friend and so far I haven't been disappointed.

images

I'm reading this at the moment. The first of a trilogy. It was highly recommended to me by a friend and so far I haven't been disappointed.

I read the first two last year back to back and couldn't put them down then was extremely dissapointed to find the 3rd book wasn't coming out for a few months. Brought that on the first day it went on sale. Now I am hoping to catch the film from the first book this weekend.

Bill bryson "a short history of nearly everything" I have just finished.
I'm starting the latest Alex rider book "Crocodile Tears" By Anthony Horowitz.
And not to forget my bedtime reading "Lucid Dreaming" by Stephan Leberge.

To get back on topic:

I am currently reading

51Z0KD2DSTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Before you know it you'll be moving on to this ;)

9780091902582.jpg

images

and @ Wenders:

I was under the impression this series were Mills & Boonesque trashy chick books, I take it that's not the case?

I was under the impression this series were Mills & Boonesque trashy chick books, I take it that's not the case?

Not at all mate. They're thrillers and exceptionally well-written. Unfortunately, the author died before they were published.

Not at all mate. They're thrillers and exceptionally well-written. Unfortunately, the author died before they were published.

Good stuff, sounds pretty interesting. Think I should probably check them out and do my usual trick of buying them as presents for the missus so I get brownie points and read them when she’s finished ;)

I’ve recently finished reading Relentless by Simon Kernick. It’s a very good crime thriller and as the title suggests its pace is relentless. Unusually for me I couldn’t put it down and it was properly gripping, highly recommend.

413NUvOJfnL._SS500_.jpg

Before you know it you'll be moving on to this ;)

<Toddler Book>
Actually, Dr. Karp is more famous for his Happiest Toddler on the Block book, so I will likely be reading that one.

Actually, Dr. Karp is more famous for his Happiest Toddler on the Block book, so I will likely be reading that one.

At 336 pages it's big and heavy enough to hit them with when the contents don't work so it looks like a good book to me (this is a joke...don't call social services on me) :)

Last edited:
What's it about or can't you say?

;)
:lol:

Please don't quote me on this (it is a secret after all) ;)

It is a about a few students (classical languages) who saw no other option than to kill one of their peers.....

Latest Posts

Back