Which book are you currently reading?

I just read the Great Gatsby for school. My advice to you: Don't.

It's not particularly intriguing, confusing in its nonlinear timeline, and 60% total monotony.

I imagine I'll get flamed for this; apparently there are a lot of fans of the book, but I can't find any merit.

To each his own, I thought that The Great Gatsby was an incredible book. Its been a few years since I've read it, but I remember loving everything about it, especially the ending.
The Grapes Of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Another great book, albeit a bit depressing, I've been reading Steinbeck's more lighthearted stuff lately, such as Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday.

Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis (or however you spell it)

Not that far into it, very interesting. What an unusual start to life he had, kind of explains a fair bit though.

41racqHoXKL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

I'm now through the 1850's in America: The Last Best Hope, by Bill Bennett. About page 310 of 1050! It's basically an historical narrative from Columbus to the last year or two, and it's got a lot of interesting anecdotes and provides a lot of insight into the attitudes of the times. Even in chapters that are light on citations, he reaches around eighty of them!

1595550550.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
51PxTc3lGjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

In The Eye Of The Storm - Max Lucado.

Never really read a book like this, my cousin gave it to me as a gift when he was home on leave, so I figured why not. I like it though, it puts a bunch of things into perspective about life. Good read so far.

Top Gear NZ Mag December,Artemis(sp?) Fowl and The World According to Clarkson.

Lee Child "Bad Luck and Trouble" and soon Andy McDermott's "The Origin of Genesis"
I recommend ANY action book lover to read absolutely anything that McDermott's written... he's a Top Writer!

I'm finishing up Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics by Kant; my leisure book is Catch 22, and I'm re-reading Braham Stoker's Dracula (last time I read it, I was 12).

Also just finished Ulysses (Joyce), and that was amazing.

Right now The Stolen Throne by David Gaider, it's the back story to Dragon Age: Origins and it's pretty good for a fantasy book based off a video game.

Serial Killers. Pretty interesting coffee table book, although a little shocking when you realize what humans are actually capable of and get away with throughout history.

633 Squadron - Operation Safeguard

51XGCoNBsHL._SS500_.jpg

I've read all the other 633 Squadron books, and thought Fred had finished with the series as the last one came out in '96, until this one pops out in 2007. He must have needed the money...

Having just finished Books 4 and 6 of the Harry Potter series, I have moved onto "Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story" (Currently on chapter 4.)

Great book. The one thing I though brought it down was that it seemed a bit...preachy of his born-again Christianity, but it's only a small flaw.

Audiobook: Robinson Crusoe - Daniel DeFoe
Text Book: Personal Effects: Dark Art - J.C. Hutchins.

Currently reading PJ O'Rourke's Driving Like Crazy compilation. I love PJ.

Just finished Brett Easton Ellis's American Psycho after watching the movie. What an overrated piece of crap. I guess I should have been warned off by the author's pretentious name. Out of 400 pages, 100 pages were literally nothing but minute label-checking descriptions of what everyone is wearing. The device had served its purpose after the first 10 or 12 times he used it - OK, we get it already, the main character is shallow and obsessive-compulsive - but enough is ENOUGH. There's literally NO exploration of why the character is a serial-torturing psychopath, no introspection or self-analysis, nothing. I realize the whole point was that the all characters are zero-dimensional yuppie scum, but honestly I suspect Ellis was just secretly envious. How this book ever got lauded as a shining classic of post-modern literature is utterly beyond me.

Currently reading PJ O'Rourke's Driving Like Crazy compilation. I love PJ.

Just finished Brett Easton Ellis's American Psycho after watching the movie. What an overrated piece of crap. How this book ever got lauded as a shining classic of post-modern literature is utterly beyond me.

Well, it's not exactly Heart Of Darkness, but style is style—and that's essentially what any literary movement is.

Edit: On that note, it's best viewed as a parody of post-modern lit.

Last edited:
Reading a copy of Arguing with Idiots by Glenn Beck that I was given for my birthday by one of my friends. Generally I avoid political/economical/social issue books like this but I figured that I have it so I might as well read it.

Wow that's gotta be rough, if Glenn Beck writes how he talks it's going to be a tough read.

Wow that's gotta be rough, if Glenn Beck writes how he talks it's going to be a tough read.
Ghost Writer, guaranteed. There is no way these TV personalities and public figures who have never written a long form anything in the last ten years pump out a book in three months.

Ghost Writer, guaranteed. There is no way these TV personalities and public figures who have never written a long form anything in the last ten years pump out a book in three months.

I suspect you're right. I'll have to flip through it (if I can mange too and not be seen by anyone intelligent) next time I'm at Barnes & Noble.

Just picked up "The Driver" by Alexander Roy, after reading what others have said on page 4 and Joey's review, figured it was worth a try. So far, I like it a lot. Anyone know some other good motorsports type books?

Tom Clancy's "The Sum Of All Fears" Most of the time though I go back between Steven King and random others. Lately Sara Douglass as per my mrs' request.

Cheers,
Jetboy

Latest Posts

Back