Who is still actively playing?

• Thread starter jackman454
  • 176 comments
I just did some racing at Rome to add to my Yuppy Scum story. :) Gotta say, I'm way out of practice. I've been at GT5 for so long, and have actually taken a long break from that game as well.

One thing I had problems getting used to is steering. Dual-shocks are so sensitive with steering in this game!

Basically: I really just suck at GT2 nowadays, but it's still lots of fun. :dopey:

Awesome to see that up!

Thanks, and it's awesome to see the GT2 forums still active, just as they were years ago when I joined GTP. I still feel like this is my 'home' to some extent. I don't know anybody over in the GT4 forums anymore, and everytime I go to GT5, I either get overwhelmed with all the topics there (seriously), or I wind up getting into a verbal fight with someone.

I have loads of things going on in life atm, so as you probably notice I bounce around between things, but when I come back to Gran Turismo every so often (like now), I still boot up GT2. Some of my favourite races, my best race reports, and the most fun conversations I've had with GT players have come right here in the GT2 forums. Represent! :cool:

I play GT2 when I'm not busy making money in GT1. They're both awesome games and while GT2 wins over GT1 in terms of cars, mods and racing as a whole, GT1 (the Japanese version) still has that unique feeling to me, maybe it's 'cause I grew up with it - I have GT1 since 1997, I was 5 back then and I was amazed when I first saw it (I really adored the music in that one, it felt just right, too bad it wasn't used for the other two versions). Oops, I felt nostalgic a bit, sorry about that. :embarrassed: Anyways, GT2 is really a great game and I still prefer it to much newer racing games, mostly because of the large car selection.

Last edited:
I still do a few races a week, I love driving the Honda CRX SiR, because it sounds cool. Especially since my ps2 is hooked up to my surround sound system, the sound is beautiful.

I'm so happy to be a part of this community! I come back again from another lay-off, and STILL there are people playing GT2! Amazing :D Much love to you all!

I haven't touched GT2 in a while since I didn't bring it with me when I went off to college. But since I'm going home next weekend, I'll probably bring it back with me. If I bring GT2 back with me, I might fire it up and return to updating my tuning sheets I made years ago.

I was around 12 when I started them, lol. Unfortunately, I lost track of the sheets. Not much of a loss, though, since I really never started. If I ever return to GT2 since GT1 is my current game at present, I will start over and may use Excel to create a database.

I assuredly still play this game. It is such a nostalgic game more than anything. The first time I payed it was in 2000 when my brother in law introduced it to me. I was 12 years old then lots of fond memories.:) This is also to say that it is the game that introduced me to the Gran Turismo series as well.👍

It was such a simple time in my life. Back in that general era of my life I'd always play Gran Turismo 1-2, Final Fantasy VIII, Legend of Dragoon, Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, and Mario Kart 64. These games were a big part of my preteen and early teen years.

I still play it, and love it. I don’t any other racing game can match it for the sheer fun factor.
I remember playing it the first time around and being amazed. Nothing else came close to GT2 graphically, or in terms of sheer breath of choice of cars and tracks. It gave me, a car mad ten year old, access to all manner of machines. I could appreciate what a good driver’s car a BMW 3 series was, know the difference between rear wheel drive and front wheel drive and how they respond to drive input, learn genuine driving skills and feel a real sense of accomplishment and achievement. It opened up the world of cars to me. We take it all for granted with Forza et al now, but this really was something in it’s day. I still enjoy GT2’s playabilty and sense of fun that is lacking in GT5 and GT4. But when it comes to choice of cars, Forza is still only just catching up. GT2 could put you behind the wheel of the then current BMW 7 series or Jaguar XJ. It had that special unknown ingredient that no other racing title before or since has.
GT1 and 2 were also hugely important to car culture, digitally introducing the West to Japan’s performance cars.
Oh, and did I say it was fun?

I just got back into it. I'm trying to run through the game properly now, because when I got it Christmas '99 I was way too young for it, and in recent years I've messed with it just to exploit hidden stuff. I'm also discovering lots of things I never noticed before. Like how the Demio A-Spec is a beast in the lower HP races, even if it has a ridiculous sounding exhaust note.

Last edited:
I fired it up yesterday. Man, that game still drives pretty good! It is also a lot harder than I thought. GT5 spoiled me with extremely slow A.I.

The memories occurring during the driving is unbelievable. And driving the Oreca Viper on laguna seca almost brought tears to my eyes. God I miss that car/ livery and the sound. I love this game to bits.

Me here. From a modern perspective, after many have copied such a taken-for-granted revolution in racing games, the nice gameplay style that it had with the perfect best-of-both-worlds arcade/sim or "semi-sim" combo, with all the other awesome things of it; decent era graphics, all the cars and tracks {DUH!!}, not terribly realistic but still beautiful car sound engineering and race-worthy (drumroll, please) music!; make it one of the best video games of all time, bar none, even if it's still imperfect and flawed from what time and technology kept it from becoming. And with more simplicity all-around espicially in the darn realism and more perfection its more enjoyable than the awfully and notoriously flawed GT5. :) :sly: 👍 Even without the nostalgia you guys get from it it's still likable to me. However, in most ways I prefer GT3, despite the fact I only have an itsy-bitsy tiny bit of nostalgia with GT3 from when I played it as a toddler.

:indiff:

Last edited:
I pull it out and play it fairly frequently. Always something that you can find to do.

But we're talking about GT2 here! (sorry couldn't resist!)

I'm currently on a massive mission to tune and hotlap every car in GT since GT1, so far I'm 75% through GT1 and I am looking to moving onto GT2 within about two weeks! 👍

I still play GT2 and love it, and the sweet thing is I never finished it completely so its still on the to do list which is cool...GT1 is my favourite from the series but I loved the insane cars the 2nd game had. If the car manufactors in GT2 were in the first game then that would have pretty much been the ultimate for me. I would really love to see the Venturi and Vector cars again, the Lotus Esprit GT1 too. The Tvr Speed 12 was much cooler than the Cerbera Speed 12 which replaced it in the following games...Racing modification was so much fun too...just don't get the genius idea of getting rid of Special Stage Route 11 which was by far by favourite track

Back