Why are the RUF Porsches so aweful?

• Thread starter westladog
  • 178 comments
I know Porsches in real life handle awesome but in the game they all suck. Why?
Just for reference, they are RUFs, not Porsches. They might look like Porsches, but they aren't - and that alone is part of the answer as to why RUFs and Porsches feel different.

However, what makes you think they "all suck" in the game? What problems are you having with them?

They are very hard to drive on the nurburgring

I have a real 911 as a daily driver and it doesn't suk that bad.
Two things, have you ever pushed your 911 to the limit at the Nurburgring? And number two:
RUFs are not Porsches at all. Despite using similar body styles, RUFs were created to be hell-bent for performance and power, so they usually end up being difficult to drive for the first few times.

I sure love to see a RUF Porsche do under 6 minutes in the game.

And it is a Porsche. If it looks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

They are very hard to drive on the nurburgring.
All of them?
And how often do you drive it at race pace on the Nurburgring?
Well... that's nice but not really relevant.
And it is a Porsche. If it looks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.
Your unspecific knowledge of anatidae aside, it's not a Porsche.

The bodyshells are, for the cars in the game, originally made by Porsche but are shipped, unmarked and unstamped, to Ruf who then build the cars from scratch around that shell. It might look like a duck from the outside, but it isn't and never has been one - and if you get more than skin deep it's pretty obvious that it isn't.

Which is why taxonomic classification is now done with genotyping rather than with "that looks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck".

Which is why taxonomic classification is now done with genotyping rather than with "that looks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck".
smiley-laughing021.gif

The power and weight distribution are way off from factory Porsches but by detuning and playing around with ballast to match Porsche specs you can make the CTR2 and RGT just fine. The Yellowbird and BTR can be made to handle also with more extreme tuning. The BTR was pretty hairy as a Porsche Turbo anyway so it's never going to be a cruiser.

Well, the RUF Porsche still suk big time in the handling department on the Nurburgring and it's the track I play on mostly. No amount of tuning will make it competitive. What....RUF takes an awesome handling sports car and made it crappy? really......what a shame.....

Well, the RUF Porsche still suk big time in the handling department on the Nurburgring and it's the track I play on mostly. No amount of tuning will make it competitive. What....RUF takes an awesome handling sports car and made it crappy? really......what a shame.....
Sweet Jesus. If it "suks" so bad, then find a way to solve the problem.

There's always tuning the car to handle better, find tunes by people in this forum...

... And then there's not driving it at all.

First, as multiple people have told you, the RUF cars in the game are just basic shells from Porsche, they are no longer Porsche once they have been modified by RUF, unlike companies like Hennessey.

Second, in stock form, they seem to handle decently well, once you get use to having most of the weight on the rear axle and how the game physics reacts to your inputs. Otherwise, check out the tuning forum because there are a handful of tunes, @Ridox2JZGTE would be a great place to start if you want to talk about recreating realism. ;)

Third, if you have ever pushed a Porsche and RUF versions of a car to their limits to compare them, you might understand better the difference between the highly modified RUF and your daily driver.

Or, if they are so cruddy that you don't think they can be fixed, you could take @Grandea GTR's advice and not drive any of the RUF cars.

P.S. The BTR and Yellowbird are great fun in my opinion with absolutely no aids on. ;)

westladog have a read and learn the difference between Porsche and Ruf in the link below. Might help you stop calling them "Ruf Porsche" and make you understand they dont just take a ready made Porsche and play about with it. They built the cars from scratch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruf_Automobile

I own all the Ruf cars in game and I've had no problems with any of them, apart from the yellowbird, which at first is very tail happy:scared:, takes some getting used to and learning to handle the car. I've also driven them all at the Nurburgring and at first they were not running as well as id like but with some tuning, tweaking and experimenting, I found there sweet spot. CTR2 and BTR are my favourites. Real drivers cars

As people above have said, there are lots of Setups/Tunes on GT Planet to help you get the best out the cars. All you need to do is look for them.

Best of luck :)

2qnckr8.jpg

Last edited:
learning to handle the car
Did you catch that? The two older models like to arse-around the way they do because the engine's in back, the suspension is a bit soft, and the rear tires aren't wide enough when compared to the fronts. Meter in throttle under heavy braking toward apex to keep the nose from dipping too much and the back end unloading (referred to as 'weight transfer'), and you'll see the cars become much more civilized.
Which means racing tires, and more likely the less realistic, less communicative (I'm gonna do something you won't like and I won't give you any warning before I do) Racing Soft variants--so that means any negative behavior becomes exaggerated even if it allows the car to be driven harder.

Try the cars on Comfort Hard to Comfort Medium and remember that if your rears are smokin' and your tail's hangin' out, you're not going as fast as you could be.

Edit: I sure hope @SVPSkins didn't get three alerts just then. :lol:

Porsche can "handle" well because people can actually handle them. I admit that porsches and rufs arent exactly built for handling, but actually so does irl.

A bit of a lesson. Most racers choose porsche because it is the least expensive of all sport cars. You notice that people can "handle" them is mostly because they already accustomed with it. Throw some more expensive Lambo and Ferrari and they will handle it much easier.

And theres the top speed advantage which Lambo and Ferrari lacks due to the aero.

Well, the RUF Porsche still suck big time in the handling department on the Nurburgring and it's the track I play on mostly.
To what are you comparing them?

In what way do they suck? There are MR, RR and 4WD Rufs, so there should be differences between them in how they suck.

No amount of tuning will make it competitive.
Competitive with what?

What do you mean by "tuning"? It's possible to create quite unusual behaviour with different settings, but if you're just adding power you're just making the car's natural behaviours happen much faster.
What....RUF takes an awesome handling sports car and made it crappy? really......what a shame.....
You have no reference point for this comment. While you may 'daily drive' a 911 (which one?), I doubt that you do so at a pace likely to set a sub 6 minute 'Ring time...

You must suffer from a serious deficiency in reading comprehension. RUF doesn't "take" a Porsche car and modify it. They get shells/chassis from Porsche and then put all of their own parts onto/into making the actual car. RUF is a car manufacturer, not a tuner. For some reason, because they use a similar outer body as Porsche vehicles, you have this idea that the cars were once a Porsche that was turned into a RUF. Please, erase that notion from your mind.

Well they handle very nice because I have tested them at the Nurburgring track with a G27 wheel a while ago with no problems.

I have found the CTR a great mid 500 PP car. At 533 PP with SH tires it will easily make the 7:50 Nordschleife Gold time for that bracket and probably the 7:29.03 GTR trophy time for 529PP SH. Sub 7s are arcade-land fantasies.

It corners and slides juuuuussstt right to the edge and feels very satisfying powering out of corners.

They are very hard to drive on the nurburgring

I know this is the Internet , and people try to claim they have things , to make themselves look better or to try and emphasise their point etc . However on GTP there is a clause in the AUP that says people should not knowingly post information that is demonstrably false .

My point being , my spidey senses tell me that's a lie . I highly doubt you have ever owned one out of a Need For Speed title . Pics or it never happened 👍

Back to the topic though , in GT5 I had an epic setup on the RUF yellowbird . Cranked it to max power , tuned it to run well and YouTubed the lap I made on my DFGT * .

The RUFs in GT6 handle well with a bit of tuning and some driving skill . It's not that difficult at all .
Hopefully you can handle your real Porsche well in real life . If you have one that is 👍

I know this is the Internet , and people try to claim they have things , to make themselves look better or to try and emphasise their point etc . However on GTP there is a clause in the AUP that says people should not knowingly post information that is demonstrably false .

My point being , my spidey senses tell me that's a lie . I highly doubt you have ever owned one out of a Need For Speed title . Pics or it never happened 👍
And if he posts a pic, how do you know it's him? It's a silly request, kind of like, "can we have pics to prove it was you driving the car in that hotlap and not someone else and you just uploaded it claiming it to be your own?"

And if he posts a pic, how do you know it's him? It's a silly request, kind of like, "can we have pics to prove it was you driving the car in that hotlap and not someone else and you just uploaded it claiming it to be your own?"

4 words .

Google . Reverse . Image . Search .

Apart from it's my YouTube , filmed from the exact same TV I still own and it can , ( the replay data coding ) be independently verified as I still have that GT5 saved replay . Plus witnesses to the event , a good buddy of mine can vouch to how mad he got trying to beat it with his setup and it's probably linked back to my social media from 2011 .

Not verifiable whatsoever then ;) Feel free to find my video anywhere else on the web if in disbelief however . You are welcome to do so .

I was pushing so hard on that lap , it felt quick , that's for sure .

4 words .

Google . Reverse . Image . Search .

Apart from it's my YouTube , filmed from the exact same TV I still own and it can , ( the replay data coding ) be independently verified as I still have that GT5 saved replay . Plus witnesses to the event , a good buddy of mine can vouch to how mad he got trying to beat it with his setup and it's probably linked back to my social media from 2011 .

Not verifiable whatsoever then ;) Feel free to find my video anywhere else on the web if in disbelief however . You are welcome to do so .

I was pushing so hard on that lap , it felt quick , that's for sure .
Google reverse image search isn't going to tell you if the PSN or nickname used on GTP is the same person who posted the pic on the net. Let it go.

It's been established that Rufs aren't Porsches anyway, so owning, having owned, or having had considerable experience driving a 911 has no bearing on the way a Ruf drives--but to be fair, it's not that outlandish to own or have owned one. Had the statement been "I own a real Ruf BTR," I would certainly question it, but I can pick up a '75-81 non-Turbo for under $15k and have something perfectly drivable but that would be substantially better with another $5k invested. What does a new Camry go for?

Google reverse image search isn't going to tell you if the PSN or nickname used on GTP is the same person who posted the pic on the net. Let it go.

It will tell you where on the web the photo comes from . EG- Used car dealership advert , sports magazine etc etc .

So no thanks bud 👍

Back