Why Gran Turismo Sport?

• Thread starter Matteo05
  • 212 comments
I think that the title is used to reinforce the focus that this game will have on motorsports. GT7 doesn't sound as good so it may be ploy to attract new players to the franchise too.

I hope we get the clarity as to what it is at PSX.

No need as its already been clarified here:

Gran Turismo Sport, the newly announced PlayStation 4 driving simulation from Polyphony Digital, is not Gran Turismo 7, Sony has confirmed - though Sony insists it'll be more substantial than the Prologue games that have prefaced mainline Gran Turismo games in the past.

There you have it, folks. Now to just ponder what the hell else is in it.

Anyways, the series honestly needed a reboot from the Original GT, they aren't even using their famous Red-Blue Colors anymore, PD wants to move on and make a revival of what they originally did with GT1 but in a different way, Also why would a Mazada Roadster be in the game if GTSport is all about racing circuits and whatnot, Also a beta test for a prologue doesn't make sense, so obviously this is a reboot sequel to the original series, GT1-GT6 is GTClassic while GTS-beyond is GT Premium, See what I mean?
The Mazda Roadster doesn't make sense only if we take the connection to FIA to it's most extreme. That is, it's FIA therefore only race cars. If we look at the FIA connection as simply a guiding influence on the title overall, with the upper tiers of the championship being focused on race cars, then we could easily see all kinds of lower level racing in street stock classes. It is a video game after all, there is no practical reason to focus completely on race ready machinery.

Well that confirms it, it's an interim game but one with slightly more meat than previous prologues and one which might update as time goes on.

Well that confirms it, it's an interim game but one with slightly more meat than previous prologues and one which might update as time goes on.
Gran Turismo Sport is GT Online huh, like GTHD was originally, GTHD back then wasn't 5 remember? It was also standalone.

With this game it looks like PD wants to raise the amount of mind-share about GT franchise potentially resulting in more buyers for GT7. (if there will be GT7 that is)

So are we looking at a digital-only release then?
Anyways, the series honestly needed a reboot from the Original GT, they aren't even using their famous Red-Blue Colors anymore

They seemed to have gone with a different font as well.

Last edited:
Seems like they are possibly attempting a spin off series? Similar to what the Forza series has been doing with Horizon? Or just a filler type of "prologue" before the full version of GT7. Only a speculated guess.

Ok excitment levels back to zero again, I don't like Online racing very much and I still can't fathom how 2016 isn't enough to have a proper GT game on the PS4, it would be 3 years since launch. :indiff:
Um you seriously do NOT want them to rush GT7 do you? They already rushed GT5 and GT6. They need to take all the time in the world that they need. No hurry AT ALL. Smart move not trying to release GT7 in 2015. Very smart decision.

The Mazda Roadster doesn't make sense only if we take the connection to FIA to it's most extreme. That is, it's FIA therefore only race cars. If we look at the FIA connection as simply a guiding influence on the title overall, with the upper tiers of the championship being focused on race cars, then we could easily see all kinds of lower level racing in street stock classes. It is a video game after all, there is no practical reason to focus completely on race ready machinery.

^ This on so many levels. No racing title that has covered more than one competition, or features no central competition has not featured some form of racing in road cars. Even the ToCA Race Driver series had road car events. If it meant that GT were to eschew the road cars, it would mean dropping the "Real Driving Simulator" subtitle, as race cars have not been accessible to everybody, nor has everybody who will play the game participated in a real racing competition.

Um you seriously do NOT want them to rush GT7 do you? They already rushed GT5 and GT6. They need to take all the time in the world that they need. No hurry AT ALL. Smart move not trying to release GT7 in 2015. Very smart decision.

GT5 was rushed? it spent ages in development, 3 years is more than enough time for GT7, heck it's probably been more than that in development.

Not releasing GT7 in 2016 is a mistake for me, ithe XBOX ONE would have had 3 mainline Forza games at the least by the time GT7 is released now. Incredible really.

^ This on so many levels. No racing title that has covered more than one competition, or features no central competition has not featured some form of racing in road cars. Even the ToCA Race Driver series had road car events. If it meant that GT were to eschew the road cars, it would mean dropping the "Real Driving Simulator" subtitle, as race cars have not been accessible to everybody, nor has everybody who will play the game participated in a real racing competition.

It has for this spin off, hasn't it? I don't see it anywhere.

GT5 was rushed? it spent ages in development, 3 years is more than enough time for GT7, heck it's probably been more than that in development.

Not releasing GT7 in 2016 is a mistake for me, ithe XBOX ONE would have had 3 mainline Forza games at the least by the time GT7 is released now. Incredible really.
At launch GT5 had around 800 standard cars and only around 200 premiums. That meant at launch 800 cars (80%) of the game did NOT have any interior view at all. You could not even pick the cockpit view at all. Standards also could never be brought to photo travel. That means 80% of the cars could not use one of the most popular features in the game. Plus good luck buying the standard car you wanted from the used car dealership with 800 cars in the rotation. Need a truck for a race, good luck. Along with a very long list of other major problems at launch. Ummmm Heck yes GT5 was rushed.

GT6 standards improved greatly over GT6 but still both games were indeed rushed. They need to take their time with GT7.

At launch GT5 had around 800 standard cars and only around 200 premiums. That meant at launch 800 cars (80%) of the game did NOT have any interior view at all. You could not even pick the cockpit view at all. Standards also could never be brought to photo travel. That means 80% of the cars could not use one of the most popular features in the game. Plus good luck buying the standard car you wanted from the used car dealership with 800 cars in the rotation. Need a truck for a race, good luck. Along with a very long list of other major problems at launch. Ummmm Heck yes GT5 was rushed.

GT6 standards improved greatly over GT6 but still both games were indeed rushed. They need to take their time with GT7.

That was PD's decision to include standard cars, doesn't mean the game was rushed.

It has for this spin off, hasn't it? I don't see it anywhere.

I didn't see the 'GRAN TURISMO' script anywhere either, but then again, the franchise has been around for so long, and the logo is so recognisable, that it is practically marketable on its' own.

That was PD's decision to include standard cars, doesn't mean the game was rushed.

Exactly it was PD's stupidity to include them. So they could say to Forza "Nah Nah, we got more cars than you! Nah nah!" To which Turn 10 could reply "Yeah but we got current generation graphics and fully modelled interiors" not to forget giving people cars they actually asked for...

I think it's something which could have been implemented into GT7 if they wanted to do so. Meanwhile, they probably want to get this competition underway sooner than GT7's development is ready for. I also think GT Sport will have a purpose for the FIA competitions even after GT7 is released, and until then it can also function as a big demo for the latter. My only concern is whether GT7 will turn out to be a major afterthought now. Knowing Kaz, publicity (GT Academy, Vision GT, FIA parternership, etc.) has higher priority than common sense games.

Last edited:

I think you're confusing "poorly designed" with "rushed".

How does Kaz still have a job? I dont really like saying somebody should be fired because their job is how they make their living. But I have never seen someone in gaming more deserving of getting the boot then this guy.

Can you imagine 343 announcing to the world the next Halo would not be Halo 5, but a stripped down Prologue, scheduled for release NEXT year? At least Hideo Kojima released the MGS5 prologue 1 year after the PS4's launch, and the full game 2 years after launch. And that was enough to get Kojima fired!

Its shocking Sony still allows Kaz to run wild and do whatever he wants. Look at Microsoft and the short leash they have Dan Greenawalt on - he gets a new game out every 24 months right on schedule. And his games have actually been good, unlike the past few GT titles.

Oh well. Like I said elsewhere, if GT Sports isnt amazing, it will bomb and so will GT7.

How does Kaz still have a job? I dont really like saying somebody should be fired because their job is how they make their living. But I have never seen someone in gaming more deserving of getting the boot then this guy.

Can you imagine 343 announcing to the world the next Halo would not be Halo 5, but a stripped down Prologue, scheduled for release NEXT year? At least Hideo Kojima released the MGS5 prologue 1 year after the PS4's launch, and the full game 2 years after launch. And that was enough to get Kojima fired!

Its shocking Sony still allows Kaz to run wild and do whatever he wants. Look at Microsoft and the short leash they have Dan Greenawalt on - he gets a new game out every 24 months right on schedule. And his games have actually been good, unlike the past few GT titles.

Oh well. Like I said elsewhere, if GT Sports isnt amazing, it will bomb and so will GT7.

Hello, earth calling Earth, earth calling Earth!

"How does Kaz still have a job?" Don't think his employers mind him at all. 15mi+ sales between two games last generation.

And Kojima spent 5yrs of development making a new engine and retooling his game, that's why Konami parted ways, they just can't have him on their new budget anymore.

I
That was before I read the article and no, GTHD was supposed to be a full-on game before they made it a Tech Demo, A presentation that had a list like Livery Editior, Clubs, and the Two Versions GT Classic and GT Premuim, does no one remember that?
I remember it very well.

I agree. But I wish they semi-premiumed them. I would rather drive an early 2000s-1990s car wth premium quality than all those new cars every game adds. I miss the cars from GT2. A Nissan Primera GT (P11) with options to make it JDM/EUDM/USDM and being premium would be so sweet. A very underestimated car. Skyline front multilink suspension, same engine as a Silvia, etc. A RWD or AWD swap and you're golden. But even stock it outruns a GT86 (irl). But yeah. Back to topic.

Last edited:
I agree. But I wish they semi-premiumed them. I would rather drive an early 2000s-1990s car wth premium quality than all those new cars every game adds. I miss the cars from GT2. A Nissan Primera GT (P11) with options to make it JDM/EUDM/USDM and being premium would be so sweet. A very underestimated cars. Skyline front multilink suspension, same engine as a Silvia, etc. A RWD or AWD swap and you're golden. But even stock it outruns a GT86 (irl). But yeah. Back to topic.

I say ditch every non premium and introduce much more customization options like swaps and livery editing, even with a lower number of cars, having endless possibilities will make each car even more special.

Back