Why haven't you gotten a wheel yet?

• Thread starter 6nin36
  • 346 comments
It's the GTS Companion app. Available for both Android and iOS.
Download it, add your psn and ID and you're all set.
It's a lot detailed.

Nice. :)

Screenshot_20180927-181938.png

Arcade is a harsh call but GTS is nowhere close to Assetto Corsa or PC2 for driving experience and difficulty. And i mean not even close.
I'd say GTS has rounded off the sharp edges of the physics for friendliness.

Although in car/track combinations they share I'm always quicker in Asseto Corso than I am in GTS.

Hard to call GTS not arcade when you haven't even played the other two titles. Come back and revisit your opinion when you have.

OK, simcade might be a better description, it's not Mario kart, LOL, but that's a grey scale. No offense, but I have all three titles, and GTS is by far the easiest to control, the easiest to catch the back end stepping out, the easiest to brake while turning, the easiest to hoon around with.

I'm sorry, but PC2's forum is peppered with posts from pad drivers like yourself that THOUGHT they were good drivers, scratching their heads and lamenting the fact that they no longer have the control that GTS or Forza gave them.

I got a wheel recently but have just switch back to DS4. I will keep practicing with the wheel over the winter but right now I am just 2 slow with it to play Sport Mode, my DR was plummeting.

Maybe it's because I'm using an old Logitech Driving ForceGT that's not even made for PS4 but I found with the wheel I could not get a consistent, good lap time, I would constantly spin out, hit the wall, go off track etc. I feel like it's mostly poor responsiveness in the pedals, but on some turns I have to go hand over hand to do the turn and I have no idea how anyone could says that's faster than moving the DS4 stick 1CM. Last week, before I put the wheel aside for now, I probably did 50+ qualifying laps on race C tokyo. Even after 50 laps I'd still put a stinker of a lap in every now and then. I qualified a 2:01.9 and thought "not bad" But after finishing DEADLAST in 3 straight races(by a longshot) I put the wheel aside and picked up the DS4, 4 laps into my DS4 session a got a 2:00.2, 1.7 seconds faster than with the wheel even after putting in 50 laps over 4-5 days. I'm sure if I put another 50+ laps with the DS4 in I would have lowered that time even still. With the DS4 after 4 laps or so I don't leave the track, I have way more control. I resurrected my old wheel because I heard from everyone it will make me faster, but now that I know a few players in the T24SS races use the DS4 I know it's not the controller keeping me 2-4 seconds behind the fastest guys in the region, I know now I can do it.

There could also be other factors why I am slower with the wheel. I use it from my couch, I built a wood rig to clamp the wheel to, a piece of leftover countertop for a sturdy base with a suction cup bath liner to keep it on the floor and a wood box around the pedals to keep them in place. When I first started I was very slow, I didn't feel comfortable, I put two pillows under my rump to raise myself a bit and I was instantly 2 seconds faster! So maybe it something stupid like my sitting position or something. At some point over the winter I'll do all the Campaign mode again with the wheel and hopefully that will make me used to it.

Should have a counter argument. Why do I need a wheel?

Nobody needs a wheel, its a matter of wanting. I mean why even use the DS4, why not just plug a USB cable into your PS4 and bare the wires on 1 end and figure out the sequence of wires you must touch together to operate a car around various tracks? I just got my PS4 from my lovely wife for Xmas 2017 and GTS, I played about 2 weeks with the DS4 and started researching wheels to maximize my enjoyment playing racing games which are the only video games I play on my PS Pro and Xbox 1. I would imagine if I bought a flight simulator game I would want a flight joystick to play the video game. I suppose it kinda goes along the same line of reasoning as buying a soccer ball to play soccer when a basketball would probably get the job done, it just wouldn't be the same. :cheers:

Erm GT isn't arcade but ok.
Haven't played any of them

It absolutely is arcade.. so any kid can be good at it, all about sales..
But you cant compare because you never tried any proper tyre or car physics or realistic handling.. When you do you will notice very quickly you've been spoiled with arcade handling and physics all the time.. and ive played all of them 100's of hours so i think im able to tell the difference.

Last edited:
But you cant compare because you never tried any proper tyre or car physics or realistic handling.. When you do you will notice very quickly you've been spoiled with arcade handling and physics all the time.. and ive played all of them 100's of hours so i think im able to tell the difference.
Just because something is more difficult does not mean it’s more realistic. I think this is subjective and unless you race cars in real life across multiple disciplines it’s hard to say. And yes, I’ve played those other games.

No its not subjective, and yes i drive and co-own a Seat cupra TCR car and have been in racing karts since the age of 6. next to that u can compare road cars as they are in GT sport as well.
Cars simply do not respond as in GT Sport period. All physics are dumbed down to a level even my grandma could win races after some practice. And thats purely for sales, Playstation and polyphony simply want as much sales as possible so they cant implement hardcore sim physics and i understand that. RF, PC1 and 2, raceroom and assetto corsa on the other hand represent a real close to real life physics feeling. only big thing missing is feeling of g-force. the only problem those titles have is that its niche and they sell a lot less copy's.. not everyone wants that level of detail simply cause its more difficult to handle.

Last edited:
It's really not that simple. Absolutely no doubt Asseto Corsa and PC2 are far more involving, have more subtlety, more feedback and are more difficult.

But, you still see a wide spread of times in GTS, yes the cars default to a stable rear end and understeer but it's still driving and the correct line is extremely important.

As for sales, look I loved PC1, even though the lobbies were spotty, but PC2 was just stupid. It was far too broad, far too big, way too many bugs, absolutely horrendous UI (the font on a TV is SO FREAKING SMALL!!) and between tyre temps, tyre pressures and set ups it was a nightmare to get any racing going for the time poor.

With GTS, you login and BOOM you are racing near instantly with relatively evenly matched competitors.

I don't have a wheel because I don't play many games in this niche genre. I play rF1 still in leagues, new to sim racing overall and using a pad for 4 years. You always have greater potential with the rig but of course you need room and dedication.

All physics are dumbed down to a level even my grandma could win races after some practice
I won't comment the realism of GT sport physics, you probably know more than me and I think you must be right about better realism in AC & PC. Yet you still, like a lot of people, associate realism and difficulty, which always seems irrelevant to me as it is two different topics

If any kid can be good at it, why aren't you? Why isn't everyone A+/S and top 10 times are separated by the smallest of margins? I have played the other 'sims', PC, Assetto Corsa, iRacing etc, I choose GT because that's where I get the most fun out of it. I don't even know why this is a discussion in here when it's a thread about racing wheels.

I got my racing wheel back just before GT4 launched. The license test down mulsanne straight in the group c car blew me away! Have never looked back. As life has gone on, I have had to reduce my setup down, but always have a place for my wheel. At the moment I have it on a wheel stand pro which I pull out in front of the lounge tv and wheel up my computer chair. It takes less than 1 minute to setup and packs down about the same time. I can use the controller (not as well as the wheel, although out of practice) but given the choice, will always use a wheel.

Mostly money, but also room. I used to have a wheel and I was WAY faster with a wheel. Like 3-5 seconds faster on a 2 minute lap. I miss having one. If I ever have enough money to get something that can fold away easily I’ll do it

No space that I can dedicate to a wheel, need to move and saving for a mortgage (in these over inflated house prices times) is difficult.

Yet you still, like a lot of people, associate realism and difficulty, which always seems irrelevant to me as it is two different topics
By difficulty i believe they mean it when driving at the car's limits or beyond that.. Sure there's always the fastest way to get around the track in GTS, which is rather difficult. But, controlling the car while over the limit is easy, and minor driving errors have almost no consequences, except when slightly touching the grass. It's just super easy to pick a GT3 and just throw it around the corners, the way you can't irl or in other games.
@Lion-Face Sure racing/playing with the best of the best is always difficult, and me personally lack the accuracy to be there... But that apllies to other games aswell, even from different genres.

Last edited:
I got a wheel recently but have just switch back to DS4. I will keep practicing with the wheel over the winter but right now I am just 2 slow with it to play Sport Mode, my DR was plummeting.

Maybe it's because I'm using an old Logitech Driving ForceGT that's not even made for PS4 but I found with the wheel I could not get a consistent, good lap time, I would constantly spin out, hit the wall, go off track etc. I feel like it's mostly poor responsiveness in the pedals, but on some turns I have to go hand over hand to do the turn and I have no idea how anyone could says that's faster than moving the DS4 stick 1CM. Last week, before I put the wheel aside for now, I probably did 50+ qualifying laps on race C tokyo. Even after 50 laps I'd still put a stinker of a lap in every now and then. I qualified a 2:01.9 and thought "not bad" But after finishing DEADLAST in 3 straight races(by a longshot) I put the wheel aside and picked up the DS4, 4 laps into my DS4 session a got a 2:00.2, 1.7 seconds faster than with the wheel even after putting in 50 laps over 4-5 days. I'm sure if I put another 50+ laps with the DS4 in I would have lowered that time even still. With the DS4 after 4 laps or so I don't leave the track, I have way more control. I resurrected my old wheel because I heard from everyone it will make me faster, but now that I know a few players in the T24SS races use the DS4 I know it's not the controller keeping me 2-4 seconds behind the fastest guys in the region, I know now I can do it.

There could also be other factors why I am slower with the wheel. I use it from my couch, I built a wood rig to clamp the wheel to, a piece of leftover countertop for a sturdy base with a suction cup bath liner to keep it on the floor and a wood box around the pedals to keep them in place. When I first started I was very slow, I didn't feel comfortable, I put two pillows under my rump to raise myself a bit and I was instantly 2 seconds faster! So maybe it something stupid like my sitting position or something. At some point over the winter I'll do all the Campaign mode again with the wheel and hopefully that will make me used to it.

I kept looking longingly at the pad while I was constantly crashing with the wheel until I had an epiphany. Stop trying to drive with the wheel the same way as I did with the pad!:crazy:

Went all the way back to the basics to find some consistency as I no longer had the quick DS4 reaction times to rely on. Loads of 1-2 hour custom endurance races on a variety of tracks, cars and tyres and while I was still slower, I was keeping the car on the track a lot more and could start building up the speed. Still struggling with trail braking but it's steadily improving.

Don't give up on it.👍

Don't give up on it.👍

Oh I won't! I do find the wheel much more fun, it's just right now I'm too slow with it to compete in any sport mode events. My DR was taking a beating. I will be finishing all GT league events with the wheel and hopefully that gets me in the grove.

I kept looking longingly at the pad while I was constantly crashing with the wheel until I had an epiphany. Stop trying to drive with the wheel the same way as I did with the pad!:crazy:

Went all the way back to the basics to find some consistency as I no longer had the quick DS4 reaction times to rely on. Loads of 1-2 hour custom endurance races on a variety of tracks, cars and tyres and while I was still slower, I was keeping the car on the track a lot more and could start building up the speed. Still struggling with trail braking but it's steadily improving.

Don't give up on it.👍

You will get there with the wheel. I only raced about 2 months with the DS4 so I didnt have much to unlearn. 2-4 weeks and I was faster with the wheel and way more consistant. I'm surprised you're have trouble trail braking with the wheel, it made everything so much easier for me not having to do everything with just my fingers.

I think it's more to with the brake pedal itself. Whether it's from having the rubber thingy, I don't know but it's still guess work feeling how much brake I'm actually applying and where it feathers off. I'm sure my foot will learn where the bite point is eventually.

I've got a GTEYE brake spring to put in as an alternative but I haven't got round to fitting it yet. Still coveting the warranty.:embarrassed:

Mostly money, but also room. I used to have a wheel and I was WAY faster with a wheel. Like 3-5 seconds faster on a 2 minute lap. I miss having one. If I ever have enough money to get something that can fold away easily I’ll do it

There is something called a wheel stand pro.
http://wheelstandpro.com/

Basically, it holds the wheel, and pedals in a stand that can be folded/unfolded and put away.
I used one for awhile - it was nice.

The wheel broke, and I haven't replaced it yet - but am planning on moving somewhat soon and once that is done I'll invest in a more complete rig that doesn't unfold.

The downside was; it was hard to get comfortable, and I could never find that consistent position to put the stand in.

Hard to call GTS not arcade when you haven't even played the other two titles. Come back and revisit your opinion when you have.

OK, simcade might be a better description, it's not Mario kart, LOL, but that's a grey scale. No offense, but I have all three titles, and GTS is by far the easiest to control, the easiest to catch the back end stepping out, the easiest to brake while turning, the easiest to hoon around with.

I'm sorry, but PC2's forum is peppered with posts from pad drivers like yourself that THOUGHT they were good drivers, scratching their heads and lamenting the fact that they no longer have the control that GTS or Forza gave them.
You simply don't need to have experienced other sims to know if GTS is arcade or not.

It clearly isn't.

How you grade it against other sims is up to you.

But it's good to know that it's pad drivers that get to make the call.

Getting wheel was one of the best choices I ever made.

It's not for everyone though.

I understand the space issue as well.

You need patience and time to get used to the wheel, because it doesn't handle like real life. You have to learn what the force feedback is telling you through the wheel and it's not straightforward.

A lot of people seem to think they should automatically be quicker when using a wheel and quickly give up when they realise it's not as simple as they thought.

If you're curious. Buy a Thrustmaster T150 for £200 and clamp it to a desk. If you don't enjoy it after a month, just sell it on. Simples.

For me, I could never go back to a controller and having used the wheel first on GT6, it opened up my eyes to a lot better sims like Project Cars 2.

One day I'll hopefully be able to buy a good PC for sim racing.

But this is all thanks to GT6 and my first experiences with it on the wheel. So whether you want to call GT Sport arcade, simcade or arcade, doesn't really matter. It helped me get into a hobby I love now.

GTS programmer - okay , we can make this more sim than arcade

GTS sales - if the game is harder to drive , the sales will drop

GTS boards - since DS4 user makes 98% of the total population, them help them to be competetive, and don't forget, there are disabled people too
- asm
- tcs
- markers
- abs
- helicopter view
- automatic transmission

So to play GTS as a sim ( say like iRacing )
- disable tcs
- abs weak
- cockpit view
- disable asm
- disable counter steering
- drive H shifter car with proper wheel and pedal

If any kid can be good at it, why aren't you? Why isn't everyone A+/S and top 10 times are separated by the smallest of margins? I have played the other 'sims', PC, Assetto Corsa, iRacing etc, I choose GT because that's where I get the most fun out of it. I don't even know why this is a discussion in here when it's a thread about racing wheels.

I got my racing wheel back just before GT4 launched. The license test down mulsanne straight in the group c car blew me away! Have never looked back. As life has gone on, I have had to reduce my setup down, but always have a place for my wheel. At the moment I have it on a wheel stand pro which I pull out in front of the lounge tv and wheel up my computer chair. It takes less than 1 minute to setup and packs down about the same time. I can use the controller (not as well as the wheel, although out of practice) but given the choice, will always use a wheel.
Let have fun on next week 991 gt3 with H shifter :) , i was an iRacing addict too

Back