Why is the Sambabus so important?

• Thread starter AJFast12
  • 251 comments
It does nothing for me personally,i appreciate its historic importance but its not for me.However without using my milage points i upped the hp to 90 and dropped the weight as far as i could and had a blast arount Kyoto driving school track,adds a whole new meaning to the term`wobblebox`.

I agree it is a useless car

No, it’s not useless. The people who complain daily about not getting this or that track/car use it as a ranting billboard. Even those who prefer racing and not livery making use them to advertise their saltiness. So it’s not useless at all. :lol::sly:

In all fairness though. I hate the above. I had to report a guy last night for spamming the same stuff for 50 days.

It would be awesome if we could change engines and engine sound in Gran Turismo Sport. For example a Bugatti Veyron engine in the Sambabus, and then change the engine sound from the Veyron to the Sambabus.
It would be awesome

I like the Sambabus!

For those with a PSVR, it is one of the best ways to drive around a track and get to see more than most cars where the driver position is a few inches off the ground! And the almost completely unobstructed view offers a panoramic look at the gorgeous trackside detail, not to mention the inside of the hippy bus! Add to that the low power and decent grip (if you aren't stupid), and it offers one of the best ways to drive most tracks with the least amount of concentration on the road and the most towards sightseeing.

PSVR, Sambabus and the Nordschleife in the late afternoon... Pure vacation sightseeing experience!

Sambabus and the Nordschleife in the late afternoon... Pure vacation sightseeing experience!
That's exactly what VW intended the Samba-bus to be used for. Unlike the standard VW Buses, the 23 window deluxe "Samba" was specifically meant for sightseeing and touring the Alps and other places in Europe.
VW-Samba-skiing.jpg
VW-Samba-1951.png

I have friends that hate racing games, and get quite sick in PSVR in fast cars around tracks...

But put them in the Samba, give them a nice scenic track to dawdle round, and they absolutely love it! I only wish GTS had the GT6 alpine tracks like Eiger Nordwand (snow, and tarmac layouts!), Chamonix and Matterhorn. What a great way to waste an afternoon!

The Samba's lack of speed definitely helps in not inducing VR nausea on the rollercoaster tracks! I often have some queasy VR moments on Horse Thief in fast cars, but the Samba is fairly tame. Shame it's such an ugly location, though!

It would be awesome if we could change engines and engine sound in Gran Turismo Sport. For example a Bugatti Veyron engine in the Sambabus, and then change the engine sound from the Veyron to the Sambabus.
It would be awesome
You can do that in GT5 by... uhh... I don't know if I could actually say it here. :nervous::confused::lol:

Edit: I almost didn't see you mentioned GT Sport there, bud.

I had a small Christmas party last night with a couple that are not into gaming but saw the wheel and wanted to try it out. We went around Tsukuba in the bus and had a blast. Then they wanted to see what something "fast" looked like so I loaded up Lewis's F1 car and did a demo lap of Suzuka. I handed the wheel over to them to give it a try, it took only a couple minutes and we loaded the bus back up. :lol: Not everything is for everyone, because it's not for you doesn't mean it's useless.

There were a few articles when the first Volkswagen Samba Bus, Kubelwagen, and Schwimmwagen screenshots were revealed before Gran Turismo 5 was released. The first article states that the Volkswagen Samba Bus is one of Kazunori's favorite cars. And the second article claims that Kaz was is very pleased about the Samba. A number of other articles around that same time period state the same or similar things. I think that's why it was included in Gran Turismo. It's one of Kaz's dream cars.
https://www.wired.com/2010/09/gran-turismo-5-2/
https://www.destructoid.com/tgs-gran-turismo-5-new-courses-and-cars-announced-184072.phtml
image04.jpg
4996612691_cd00076505_b.jpg

Last edited:
That's exactly what VW intended the Samba-bus to be used for. Unlike the standard VW Buses, the 23 window deluxe "Samba" was specifically meant for sightseeing and touring the Alps and other places in Europe.
VW-Samba-skiing.jpg
VW-Samba-1951.png

Red and Black looks good in the sambabus

I haven't read the whole 7 pages, and somebody else may have mentioned it (if so apologies for repeating) but an earlier version of Gran Turismo (or maybe versions) had a beginner race with slow, small cars that could not be upgraded (or if they could, not by much). I really cannot remember which cars or which GT number.
Regardless, it was really, really difficult to win! You had to get the perfect lines, draft and make zero mistakes to have any chance of winning. I was winning much faster races well before I could beat this one!
In short, it was a fantastic teaching method.... pity I've forgotten most of the lessons :)

Unfortunately, the Sambabus can be beefed up to make winning here a doddle.

I haven't read the whole 7 pages, and somebody else may have mentioned it (if so apologies for repeating) but an earlier version of Gran Turismo (or maybe versions) had a beginner race with slow, small cars that could not be upgraded (or if they could, not by much). I really cannot remember which cars or which GT number.
Regardless, it was really, really difficult to win! You had to get the perfect lines, draft and make zero mistakes to have any chance of winning. I was winning much faster races well before I could beat this one!
In short, it was a fantastic teaching method.... pity I've forgotten most of the lessons :)

Unfortunately, the Sambabus can be beefed up to make winning here a doddle.
One of these might be what you are thinking of:

GT4 Mission #1 Fiat 500R Overtake

GT5 Top Gear Challenge Beginner (VW Sambabus)

GT5 Top Gear Challenge Expert (VW Kubelwagen / Schwimmwagen Figure 8)

I would take 100 buses for every VGT. It may be awful, but at least its real.
Ok thats a 🤬 justification so what if they are fake ?? the Supra , Veyron , F40 every single car made was for a uncertain amount of time technically fake.

Because why a P1 or Supra when you can make idiotic decisions like that.

I really hope Sony fire him soon.
Oh the irony... and by the way if this post was any indication of the way you think please don't open your own business.

I think it's a stupid inclusion. Focus on having a solid base of cars before the novelty inclusions. They are not near that level yet, half of the car count is concept cars that don't exist.
Whats wrong with concept cars?.

Don't have a proper 911 GT3-R but a Raptor and a Sambabus. Any other game would get heckled like Forza. But PD is good, because quirky!!! They're unique!
1. We have the RSR which is technically better in every way 2. Yes PD is unique in more ways than one 3. Im not a forza guy but i think its simple people don't have a problem with these cars in horizon but in motorsport and correct me if im wrong but the first motirsport games had a faw if any of this kind of cars however slowly but surely we arrived at FM7 and... well you know , meanwhile GT had slow cars like the Demio since the beginning and kei cars since GT2 (20 Years) before you wrote this and (22 Years) before today.

Iconic? For who? What year is this? That thing isn't iconic to 99% of the people playing the game. I'm 47 and it's not even iconic to me. It's crap, and shouldn't be included INSTEAD of better suited cars.
I suggest to you and all those people to read a bit about the Automotive history even a little , that aside i beliave the Bugatti Veyron is a heavy pumpkin on wheels however i respect its performance and what it achieved.

Will never understand why they would add this and not the E30 M3.
You were saying? ;)

One of these might be what you are thinking of:

GT4 Mission #1 Fiat 500R Overtake

GT5 Top Gear Challenge Beginner (VW Sambabus)

GT5 Top Gear Challenge Expert (VW Kubelwagen / Schwimmwagen Figure 8)

Wow, excellent, thank you!! they're the ones!! As recent as GT 5 ...... felt like years ago! I really struggled winning some of those :lol:

Thanks again! :cheers:

I got quoted. So here we go.

It doesn't matter if the RSR is better than it in any other way. It's not in it's correct category, and it shows by usually dominating the group no matter the BoP it is given. Whether they're using real data or not, the RSR is not really meant to go against GT3 cars due to it's aero and layout advantage that would not conform to GT3 regulations. Now with the addition of many other oddball cars, I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. But even then, the 911 RSR is above any other car in the Gr.3 class, and no matter what PD has done, it still keeps dominating in numbers. And the fact that PD aren't even trying to rectify or properly group the cars just shows that they're really on damage control trying to make it a car collect game once again.

We all know what GT Sport was trying to be, so making funny excuses because automotive history won't cut it. Might as well have the Model T for no reason I guess.

The inclusion of oddball cars in this game is just poor design choice and number padding to me.

It's not in it's correct category, and it shows by usually dominating the group no matter the BoP it is given. Whether they're using real data or not, the RSR is not really meant to go against GT3 cars due to it's aero and layout advantage that would not conform to GT3 regulations.
Whille you are correct i would like to point out that this is the case with most cars in GR.4 but the class is mostly well balanced all things considered ill use the Renault megane trophy its technically far superior to anything in GR.4 however BOP nerfed it down to the back even in some cases so my point is it can be done however you can't bridge the gap between a GT3 car and a BMW M3 GT2 or a Mclaren F1 GTR , now about the use of real data even if they do use it idosen't really matter because they can make a car Faster or slower without a notice (as shown when they boosted the Toyotas a faw updates ago.)

And the fact that PD aren't even trying to rectify or properly group the cars just shows that they're really on damage control trying to make it a car collect game once again
I 100% agree that the classes should be sorted however a quick visit to Kudos prime although surely not 100% accurate shows tha as of 10 days ago 80% ofplayers didn't participate in a daily race and 91.6% of players waren't active during last week , now even if thats 50% accurate thats a big gap and a problem for PD you may call it "Damage Control" but its actually simple GT was a car collection game for a 20+ years and "Overnight" PD took a big gamble changing the direction of the series but the community voiced thair destine and PD listened .

We all know what GT Sport was trying to be, so making funny excuses because automotive history won't cut it. Might as well have the Model T for no reason I guess.
Im not making excuses but beliave what you want and i would love to see the model T back not in sport necessarily tho.

Back