Why Kaz needs to go...

Do you think Kaz should retire from GT?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
See it would be a big diffrence if fan boys where the ones getting mad . But every time I go to play gt6 there's no one to race with.. you know why?? Because 90% of them gave up on the gt series when they messed up the pp in gt5. Now that the true fans of the series are getting fed up with the bs I agree that its time for a. Change. To many bad decisions are being made and no one is communicating anything to us. Jordan had to go out of his way to ask them if them if the update was even dropping. In my eyes that's unprofessional

You just said what were all thinking. I'm a car guy not a gamer. 28yrs old. Have only played metal gear solid, uncharted series and all GT's. Gt is the reason I started to play video games and continue to, but like you said it comes to a time where the faithful lose hope. Gt5 started it for everyone if you were a true fan now GT 6 is starting off bad. No ones online racing at all practically. Certain things that were good in GT 5 were taken out. GT 6 is an empty game with a very short career mode unlike any GT ever. Faithful's are trying to hold on but the lack of communication with things that were somewhat promised has turned us off. The damage was done with GT5 but this is turning into salt on the wound in a way.

PD should be more open to the community. They earn money because we love the game.
Be open, when stuff is delayed or cancelled, share it with the community.
It's not hard for PD to enter this forum. Just an announcement section would do miracles.

Sony, let them worry about releasing GT7 Prologue, and so on.
Let PD do the development together with the community.
Then the game becomes better, and Sony will make more money.

So Kaz is not the problem. The communication with us is the problem.

I don't think the creator of the franchise should go, but he has to start developing a video game for 2014 not 1998. Push that digital divide or whatever, break GT out of it's mundane mold and start competing with other video game makers before they leave you in the dust.

Just totally irrelevant sorry
which part? the comment or how I didn't understand how the posting system works?[/quote]

The post lol, using people who are genuinly impoverished to excuse a millionare is obtuse to say the least sorry..
I understand you are well intentioned, but the two issues you relate.. really arent in any way.

I found this interesting article from Nov 2010, with quotes from numerous interviews with Kaz..

http://videogamesdaily.com/features...rice-kazunori-yamauchi-on-learning-to-let-go/

A part of the article:

“The year and a half that it was in development,” Yamauchi remarked this month to Autoweek, “the last three months as the release date approached, myself and my staff were getting three hours of sleep a day to try and get the game done. Near the end, the people from Sony came to our development studio and told us it was good enough and that we could release it.

“At the time,” he went on, “I probably wasn’t thinking very clearly, being as exhausted as I was, and I talked myself into thinking this was good enough and it went to release. But all the things I thought were not enough yet, the users said the exact same thing when the game came out.

“That was something I regretted very much when that happened because I knew it was coming. And that happened at the beginning of my career, and it was something I vowed would never happen again.”

I want to blame Sony for pushing PD to release GT6 in its current state, but there are issues that PD could have fixed since they started developing GT5 that they still haven't so I guess we have to blame both in this case.

Last edited:
I want to blame Sony for pushing PD to release GT6 in its current state, but there are issues that PD could have fixed since they started developing GT5 that they still haven't so I guess we have to blame both in this case.
PD had 6 years from GT4 to GT5. (yes I know they made Tourist Trophy too) and 3 years from GT5: Prologue to GT5. 3 years!!! wasnt that enough?!
And again, they had 3 years from GT5 to GT6 on the same console, but they released an unfinished game again.
why we should blame Sony?

PD had 6 years from GT4 to GT5. (yes I know they made Tourist Trophy too) and 3 years from GT5: Prologue to GT5. 3 years!!! wasnt that enough?!
And again, they had 3 years from GT5 to GT6 on the same console, but they released an unfinished game again.
why we should blame Sony?

Because they obviously get involved in development and push PD to meet deadlines that they may not be able to meet. It must have been Sony telling them to release the game on 6th December 2013 with no delays of any sort (because Sony probably wanted it released before Christmas) which would have put pressure on PD.

Because they obviously get involved in development and push PD to meet deadlines that they may not be able to meet. It must have been Sony telling them to release the game on 6th December 2013 with no delays of any sort (because Sony probably wanted it released before Christmas) which would have put pressure on PD.

As a fan of the series since the beginning, I lay the blame on PD and not Sony. Sure Sony will force their hand on release dates, but there is no reason why developement cycles at PD take so long when there are similar products out there with better everything, at a cheaper price, with much smaller teams who are on a much smaller budget, and have been working on simulators for a fraction of the time that PD has.

I like Gran Turismo because of it's unique feel and huge car collection, but in terms of everything else, GT has been getting it's ass whipped by other games left, right and centre. PD needs a shake up in order to continue competing, there's more competition out there than ever before who can do a better job in a shorter time.

And the fact that online is still an archaic mess, no leaderboards, lag, no invite option,...even though PD is working on it for 10 (!!!!) years (was supposed to be in GT4 already!)!... I guess that's Sony's fault too?

That kind od stuff (online mode being so rudimentary, unpractical and with absolutly no creative value makes me think that yes: Kaz has no clue how to produce a game in 2014.

10 years guys...

I have never been one to participate in online forum talk. It has always been hard to sometimes understand peoples points of view from typed messages or convey my own. Others just act act in a manner which they wouldn't do outside of the internet. So find it easy to get away with in the virtual world. For these reasons I have usually stayed away. However, this topic has made me feel compelled to do so.

Having played every iteration of GT, and having brought two consoles specifically - which I am sure alot of other people on GTplanet have done as well - I am not sure it gives me more right to voice my opinions on this franchise that we all love or loved at one point, but it does give me some insight on my once favorite video games franchise, and it's gradual decline.

Now I am done with my introduction. Bear with me. Here is my two cents:

So much was promised with GT6, as it was with GT5 before it. And the promises haven't been kept, up until now! I honestly do not know of any other developer with such a bad track record. Or in this age of internet and communication, such lack of feedback to the buying public. Yes, the promised updates might arrive, but when? Alot of gamers might have moved on by then and feel cheated or disenchanted.
Yet, Kazunori Yamauchi finds time to take part in real GT races and participate in a documentary about himself. Yet he, and his company have recieved the profits of a unfinished product, with no idea if or when it will be completed.

I give you an example:

Say you hire a builder and his employees to build you an extension to your home. Something you could enjoy during an important family occasion, or the during the summer season. Say he draws a plan. Shows you prints, ideas, photos of what the extension might look like. You pay him the full amount of money for the labor and material costs. The work stops, and you were left with just a basic room, with no electricity, heating, or a big open patio. Things that you had payed for beforehand, believing you wouldn't have to wait long for it to be all completed. But now have no idea if or when they will be included. You have not been contacted by the main builder. And find out he is enjoying himself, indulging in his favorite pastime; mountain climbing? Would you be not be happy? Feel cheated? Yes, the amount of money involved would be to a completely different level. But can't parallels still be drawn between the two?

I know of no other developer that charges £20 for a larger than a glorified demo in the GT prologue editions. Consistently fail on their promises. And give complete lack of information on when these promises will be met. The amount of sales PD makes from the full and prologue versions far out do other racing game franchises, despite GT6's slow sales. Therefore, they are making enough profit to hire more staff. More sales, means more profit, means more money to spend. So what is their excuse to not hire more staff? It certainly isn't the lack of good programmers available. Other devolpers have proved that by, upstaging PD in some areas. and with alot less experience than the 15 years that GT has existed. But like they say, 'If you are already number 1, then why try harder?' I, along with other impatiant buyers am partly to blame.

Kaz has made himself available to the public eye. He is willing to accept awards. Streets named after him. Documentaries filmed about him. He is willing to accept the accolades that come with being the creator of the GT franchise. He has allowed himself to be put in the spotlight to accept the praise for GT's positives. He has chosen to be the face of GT. Therefore, is it not only fair that he accepts shortcomings, and the buying publics backlash of the franchises negatives?

I have voted yes with the other 29%.

Thank you for reading my post.

^ This x100. You nailed it sir. IMO, for Kaz to make a documentary about himself when that time/work/money could've been spent on improving and/or fixing GT6 is just ridiculous. But, like I said that's my opinion.

“That was something I regretted very much when that happened because I knew it was coming. And that happened at the beginning of my career, and it was something I vowed would never happen again.”
I feel like tweeting that line and this picture to Kaz...

image.jpg

Dear God, what a crock this thread is.

"If I hired a builder and he didn't do what I wanted etc. waaah", yes yes, so hire Kaz to make GT7 for you.

"Wasted time making a film instead of fixing the sounds", yeeesss, because he was in it AND making it and doing the things he was doing in it just for the film. Including the clever stunt in the introduction where he spent 15 years making Gran Turismo.

Y'all got a great game for, what, $25? Seems pretty cheap to me. Quit crying :D

"If I hired a builder and he didn't do what I wanted etc. waaah", yes yes, so hire Kaz to make GT7 for you.

"Wasted time making a film instead of fixing the sounds", yeeesss, because he was in it AND making it and doing the things he was doing in it just for the film. Including the clever stunt in the introduction where he spent 15 years making Gran Turismo.

What if I told you that you could only use a keyboard with vowels only, and had to type a final report that was a make-or-break grade?

Would you not want the remaining consonants to go alongside?

If you have a reason why Kaz should stay, feel free to share it with everyone. Telling everyone else they are whining and crying probably isn't your best strategy..well if you're over 12 years old it isn't anyway.

If you have a reason why Kaz should stay, feel free to share it with everyone.
I'll bite. Tell me another racing game developer who's games have routinely broken the 10 million sales mark.

If you have a reason why Kaz should stay, feel free to share it with everyone. Telling everyone else they are whining and crying probably isn't your best strategy..well if you're over 12 years old it isn't anyway.

Thank you, I have indeed brought enough sweets to share with everyone - if I understand your tone correctly.

Kaz drives the vision, he doesn't write the code. Do I want his vision to remain within GT? Yes, absolutely. The purity of the racing in GT6 is, to me, hugely enjoyable.

Is the software perfect? Oh goodness no, not by a long way. What will getting rid of Kaz change? You'd have the same team but without the person who drives the core concept. Slow hand clap for that idea.

I'll bite. Tell me another racing game developer who's games have routinely broken the 10 million sales mark.
If your reason Kaz should stay is to ask a question of me, you should go back to the drawing board. If you have a case to make for Kaz make it, don't ask someone to make it for you.

Thank you, I have indeed brought enough sweets to share with everyone - if I understand your tone correctly.

Kaz drives the vision, he doesn't write the code. Do I want his vision to remain within GT? Yes, absolutely. The purity of the racing in GT6 is, to me, hugely enjoyable.

Is the software perfect? Oh goodness no, not by a long way. What will getting rid of Kaz change? You'd have the same team but without the person who drives the core concept. Slow hand clap for that idea.
Please explain for the benefit of the reading audience, what the "purity of racing" is in GT6. While you're at it, explain what is so unique about his vision that it can't possibly be duplicated and better executed by someone else. Might as well explain his vision while you're at it.

GT6 SHOULD NOT EXIST......its nothing more than simple updates to GT5. They just wanted to take more of our money. I would have paid $20 in DL fees for an add on to GT5. It isnt worth the $60+.

Love the game... and series... but hate the way PD communicates with its customers and they way they treat us. Poorly run operation.

"Forum grumps." A vague and random assertion of sales in an unrelated conversation. "I'm going to bed because I don't want to bother defending that point I attempted to make."

The Tenacious D post checklist is as alive as ever.

If your reason Kaz should stay is to ask a question of me, you should go back to the drawing board. If you have a case to make for Kaz make it, don't ask someone to make it for you.
But then what would he do with this:
Many%2520lulz%2520were%2520had.png

?

I too am curious what his vision is these days. He seems far more interested since the announcement of GT5 proper to chum it up with car manufacturers and give the GT series as a whole airs it doesn't deserve than actually furthering the series beyond its roots 15 years ago; and that lovely documentary which accomplished nothing but reinforcing his already sizeable personality cult made quite a few suggestions towards that pretentiousness being his actual goal nowadays.

I personally think the idea of Kaz "needing" to go to be ludicrous if only because if you're going to pull him you might as well just take the franchise away from the entire team and that's clearly never going to happen if Sony couldn't even force that issue with a spinoff game, but the people trotting out the same vague assertions of how the series "vision" is the most important part of what makes Gran Turismo what it is is something I thought would have died for good finally when GT6 released in an even worse mess than GT5 left in.

Last edited:
"Forum grumps." A vague and random assertion of sales in an unrelated conversation. "I'm going to bed because I don't want to bother defending that point I attempted to make."

The Tenacious D post checklist is as alive as ever.

But then what would he do with this:
Many%2520lulz%2520were%2520had.png

Quoted for the vague and random assertion of likes in an unrelated conversation.

Reactions: Eks
I too am curious what his vision is these days. He seems far more interested since the announcement of GT5 proper to chum it up with car manufacturers and give the GT series as a whole airs it doesn't deserve than actually furthering the series beyond its roots 15 years ago; and that lovely documentary which accomplished nothing but reinforced his already sizeable personality cult made quite a few suggestions towards that pretentiousness being his actual goal nowadays. I personally think the idea of Kaz "needing" to go to be ludicrous, but the people trotting out the same vague assertions of how the series "vision" is the most important part is something I thought would have died for good finally when GT6 released in an even worse mess than GT5 left in.

I don't think the vision's changed, there seems to be a lot more to the situation surrounding GT6 in general; but all of those are to do with implementation of coding and GUI than to do with the concept of GT6 itself.

When I look at the game today I see lots of cars, lots of great tracks and I can easily (most of the time) find an assists-off no-handbags lobby and get some great racing in cars of all kinds.

I see the kind of nerdy detail - the love of one single concept, the passion for one particular car, the idea of simulating the driving experience as closely as possible on a console, I feel my own slightly weird passion for motoring minutiae reflected in GT.

Removing Kaz means removing that as sure as removing Jobs from Apple or Gates from Microsoft removes that intangible force that makes it what it is. You can replace them with as much talent and knowledge as money can buy and still never get back to the actual vision.

Idc, I'm honestly just waiting and waiting for Project CARS... that honestly seems like my only hope for a proper console racing game.... even though GT7 isn't announced, I'm kind of skeptical about it after GT5 AND 6 turned out to be this way

Criticism like Griffith500 and I make are very rare.

With "Griffith500 and I" you mean you clicking the like button on Griffith500's posts, or you mean you're both at the opposite ends of the spectrum and therefore both very rare?

In any case the following is not rare:

Sure, boss, but instead, I think I'll go to bed, and you can grump at people here and further the joy of Gran Turismo. ;)

A forum is not a chat. You can just return another time and continue to make your point, and we'll all still be here.

Do I want his vision to remain within GT? Yes, absolutely. The purity of the racing in GT6 is, to me, hugely enjoyable.

Purity of racing, in a game that is being defended as "it's a driving sim, not a racing sim"? I don't know what Kaz's vision is, if he even has one, but I hope for him it has nothing to do with "purity of racing".

$25?! Where on earth did you get it from for that price?

Anyone who bought anywhere near release paid $60+, and should be rightfully miffed. Were people to have bought it for $25 then there might be a reasonable argument that it gives good value for that price, but there's still the issue of "misleading"* advertising.

For what it's worth, I don't think removing Kaz is the answer. I think adding people to make up for the time and/or skills he doesn't have is. He's clearly passionate, and that's hard to find sometimes. But sometimes it's not enough to just be passionate.

*Admittedly, the advertising says features to be added in later updates. But there's a big ass list of them, and 27+ VGT cars due in the next year. I don't think it'd unreasonable to be a little surprised that basically none of the list has come out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back