Will GT ever end?

  • Thread starter Thread starter funnyguy344
  • 227 comments
  • 13,768 views

Do you think GT will EVER end


  • Total voters
    313
Nothing lives forever.
All good things come to an end.
Why is this a thread?
 
Sorry it has to be said...

I fear it is already past its hay day
 
Sorry it has to be said...

I fear it is already past its hay day
*passed

Inaccurate use of the expression plus wrong spelling.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/heyday



GT's only had one full game that featured an online mode. Sooooo, Mimesis. :D
Passed its heyday would have been if GT5 sold a few million less than all the other games. Numbers matter in the case of this thread's question. Kaz said it will be a long time before he gets the chance to do anything else though. So maybe that's when the GT series ends or maybe that's when it gets PASSED on to someone else.
 
The day Project C.A.R.S. arrives. ;)

Gran Turismo thrives on a fan base that has been around since '98. I imagine a lot of us fans are now 25+ years old and might have a nostalgia- bond that's hard to break. But GT5 made it easier for that bond to loosen.

Gran Turismo thrives on Sony consoles because there is no other serious competitors around. Not Need For Speed, not Test Drive, not Forza, not any PC sims, etc. GT can safely be the king because there's no other leader to bow down to. 2014 will offer new titles, though. And variety is a good thing.

Of course, GT will end, as all things do. However, I don't know how long it'll last. With incomplete games like GT5, GT's life cannot be too long. But if Kazunori can re-invent himself and his thinking, the series can feel fresh again.
 
Last edited:
Of course GT will end at some time in the future and be it because the sun goes supernova and the world burns to cinder... What a stupid thread. Nothing lasts forever.
 
The day Project C.A.R.S. arrives. ;).

Irrelevant.

Problem that many, many, many GTP members are often facing when discuss sinilar issues is subjective perception.

They just can't comprejend how there are millions and millions players outthere that loves, buys and plays GT games fpr what they are - and they do not even notice 99% of *issues* discussed around here as various critcisms, whishlists and so on and so forth.

Cattering both mainstream in vast, vast, almost unimaginable scope and in the same time pleasing many of hard-core is the greatest achievement of GT series. In the same time, GT series didn't have to sacrifice any of its unique philosophies and under even greatest surprise, it even managed to become more and more "hardcore" with each new game without alienating the casuals.

Also, even the great criticisms series has endured with last 3 "big" games (compared with almost perfect revies for GT and GT2 back in 1998 and 1999) didn't break the success of the game. Also, its only main contender on other platform never managed to catch the scope of sales, mainstream audience and commercial success despite astonishing investments in marketing, promotion, production and PR.

PCars will not jeopardise GT series by no mean, nor any other project I am aware of actually can.

Mimesis and philosophical aspecta of GT series has started its life with B-Spec mode of GT4, continued woth online aspects and options pf GT5:P and GT5, with absolutely unique spin towards new, young generation of players through GT Academy.

GT series will end one day, but not soon. At this point of time, GT celebrates its 15th anniversary during which PD produced 10 titles (with 11th ready to be published in next few months) combining +70M sales on 4 different platforms, with 5 entries gaining more then 10M sales. During those 15 years, at least 3 generations of "gamers" have been raised and all those generations embraced GT series with the same passion.

The future is bright for GT series. Personally, I grew with it and it is my greatest hobby fpr almost half of my life. I would be very happy if I will be sane, healthy and capable to play it for next 50 years.

Witnessing the prospect that GT series has brought to driving genre in past 15 years, all I can wish is that more other series embark on the same path of finding the perfect blend of mainstream accessibilty that in the same time intrigues the hardcore that much that they are spending countless hours in talking and discussing GT series on the internet communities instead actually playing it :)

All of that - together - is making GTgames a better games with every new itteration. And that is the greatest achievement of the small team named Polyphony Digital.
 
pCARS will not affect GT, no. They'll do well to sell 1 million copies and this is coming from a notInvestor. You'd be mad to think it will be any real threat because they're different games with different goals and content, the only similarity being cars with four wheels and tracks.
 
Amar's post really hit me. I will be buying GT6 for certain, and I am fairly certain millions of people outside GTplanet will do the same :D
 
I think GT will end whenever every person doesn't care about driving cars and all cars are driven by computers. Even with the Google cars working good, that is a long way off.
 
Irrelevant.

Problem that many, many, many GTP members are often facing when discuss sinilar issues is subjective perception.

They just can't comprejend how there are millions and millions players outthere that loves, buys and plays GT games fpr what they are - and they do not even notice 99% of *issues* discussed around here as various critcisms, whishlists and so on and so forth.

Cattering both mainstream in vast, vast, almost unimaginable scope and in the same time pleasing many of hard-core is the greatest achievement of GT series. In the same time, GT series didn't have to sacrifice any of its unique philosophies and under even greatest surprise, it even managed to become more and more "hardcore" with each new game without alienating the casuals.

Also, even the great criticisms series has endured with last 3 "big" games (compared with almost perfect revies for GT and GT2 back in 1998 and 1999) didn't break the success of the game. Also, its only main contender on other platform never managed to catch the scope of sales, mainstream audience and commercial success despite astonishing investments in marketing, promotion, production and PR.

PCars will not jeopardise GT series by no mean, nor any other project I am aware of actually can.

Mimesis and philosophical aspecta of GT series has started its life with B-Spec mode of GT4, continued woth online aspects and options pf GT5:P and GT5, with absolutely unique spin towards new, young generation of players through GT Academy.

GT series will end one day, but not soon. At this point of time, GT celebrates its 15th anniversary during which PD produced 10 titles (with 11th ready to be published in next few months) combining +70M sales on 4 different platforms, with 5 entries gaining more then 10M sales. During those 15 years, at least 3 generations of "gamers" have been raised and all those generations embraced GT series with the same passion.

The future is bright for GT series. Personally, I grew with it and it is my greatest hobby fpr almost half of my life. I would be very happy if I will be sane, healthy and capable to play it for next 50 years.

Witnessing the prospect that GT series has brought to driving genre in past 15 years, all I can wish is that more other series embark on the same path of finding the perfect blend of mainstream accessibilty that in the same time intrigues the hardcore that much that they are spending countless hours in talking and discussing GT series on the internet communities instead actually playing it :)

All of that - together - is making GTgames a better games with every new itteration. And that is the greatest achievement of the small team named Polyphony Digital.

Amar, the voice of reason has spoken.

3qyu86.jpg
 
GT is Sony's most profitable exclusive. Unless the PS4 fails, GT is staying. (And even if the PS4 failed, Sony would likely become a publisher like Sega did and we would probably see GT on Xbox)
 
Back to the topic. GT will exist in some form for a long time, but I can see them changing up the title later on to avoid it getting redundant
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I refuse to live in a world without Gran Turismo.
 
Rob192005
Well,as long as they keep making cars and consoles and PDI don't run out of money..maybe when Kaz dies..it may be called something else then..but even then under the surface the legacy would or at least should carry on.

As long as they make money, it will never end. Even if Kaz is gone, it will still be Gran Turismo. Look at Apple for the example there.
 
The question was "Will GT ever end" - so I had to put yes. Of course it will end, everything will end. And when the sun becomes a red giant, and its outer layers expand swallowing up the earth, I doubt anyone will still be playing Gran Turismo... or any game for that matter :P

But, I don't think it will end soon. It's been going for 15 years already, and although sales seemed to have peaked with the PS2 versions, I'm pretty sure that's only because the PS2 sold more than the PS3, and of course there was the really long wait for GT5. But I think the game is in a healthy state right now, and I think it will only get better for the next generation consoles :P
 
The question was "Will GT ever end" - so I had to put yes. Of course it will end, everything will end. And when the sun becomes a red giant, and its outer layers expand swallowing up the earth, I doubt anyone will still be playing Gran Turismo... or any game for that matter :P
What about aliens that play GT? Just destroy the whole universe and that's all the alien drivers that make fast laptimes out of nowhere sorted :lol:👍 .
 
My guess is that Kaz will be around to make GT10 on the Ps5 then quit and let younger people take over GT, don't know who, just guessing.
 
Hey Gt5 is well on its way to surpassing GT4's sales.. its sold faster than GT4 did too..
 
Last edited:
I think GT needs to end right now and then comeback as something else, sadly that won't happen anytime soon thanks to the legions of fanboys that will continue to buy it until the end of the world.
 
I think GT needs to end right now and then comeback as something else,

Come back as what excatly, and arcade racer? Please...

sadly that won't happen anytime soon thanks to the legions of fanboys that will continue to buy it until the end of the world.

I will say that to every other game out there, especially COD. :sly:
 
One day wipeout will be called realistic.
 
It will probably, although not anytime soon. Face it, there will come a day when racing games will be obsolete.
 
Everything ends eventually, so GT has to end.

That aside, as long as there are PlayStation consoles, I suppose there may always be a Gran Turismo, but I don't know how much longer that it will remain a strong, multi-million-selling franchise. The series now has stiff competition, and the day may come that it's much less significant than what it has been.
 
GT has to end at some point otherwise it risks stagnating so much that fans will desert the franchise.

Even if Kaz refreshes his thinking and adds game changing innovations to the series, nothing lasts forever.
 
Going purely by the current theories regarding the eventual heat death of the universe, I'd have to say yes - GT will ever end.

Will GT outlast Kaz's presidency? Probably. Will it still be worth playing by that point? Somebody must think so, if it's still worth making.

Will racing games die out? Not when you consider the full depth of meaning of both "racing" and "game"; taken that way, racing games have been part of human culture since time immemorial. I doubt that will change just because we don't have cars anymore.

Is a GT-like game close to stagnation? No; car culture is far broader than any digital representation dares to convey, so there is so much more to be done that no-one else is doing.

Will global society ever value individualistic ideals over conformative ideals? Probably not.
(That's meant to be a "joke"; these sorts of threads are dripping with the childish overtones of whether GT is "relevant", i.e. simply whether or not it's "cool", which I consider to be unimportant in the personal pursuit of an engaging experience. I by no means wish to instigate a socio-political debate.)
 
Back