Will GT Series ever get the option for a full Livery Creator?

• Thread starter Harsk100
  • 366 comments
Just imagine this. We get the Event Maker. We get the Course Maker. We get Race Mod and the Livery Editor. And now, if a FIA GT2 race isn't in our current Gran Turismo, we can make one. And as long as we want. Can you imagine a field of cars like this, full of Aston Martin, Jaguar, Ascrari, Corvette, Viper, Audi, Ford GT, Panoz, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, RUF or dare I say it, Porsche... whatever comparable car we can drag into it. With liveries either we designed or bought from PD or some car artist here on the boards. And one which is yours with a snazzy unique livery all its own.

Drool... went a little overboard, but what the heck. ;) And suppose we can make fantasy leagues, and can create logos for them. I whipped this up in an hour or so.

I moved some things around so it looked a little less cramped, and it's not the greatest looking thing but the thing is, the potential to make with this stuff what you want. Existing leagues, cars from history, your own designs, PD originals... can you not imagine the explosion of gamer involvement in this kind of thing? The re-racing of events from history, and user created leagues with seasons and championships, or offline, the same thing you create yourself?

Asia GT

Cars:
  • Cizeta V16T
  • Hyundai Genesis
  • Kia Optima
  • Nissan 300ZX
  • Nissan 350Z
  • Nissan 370Z
  • Nissan Skyline
  • Nissan GT-R
  • Oullim Spirra
  • Toyota Supra MkIV
  • etc
Tracks:
  • Tsukuba
  • Suzuka
  • Midfield Raceway
  • Fuji
  • Deep Forest
  • Apricot Hill
  • Bahrain International
  • Grand Valley
  • Zhuhai International, China
  • Red Rock Valley
  • etc
Season: 35 races

And so on. I... want... this. I know I'm kind of grab bagging everything and throwing it together, but this is a goal I strongly urge PD to aim for in GT7. If you don't, well, okay, but I think that this has to be hotter than pizza fresh from the oven.

Last edited:
Whoa, take it easy! :lol:
I CAN'T!!@1 :scared::D:boggled::dopey::drool::eek::mad::nervous::mischievous::boggled::bowdown::gtpflag:

I guess it's pretty obvious that I perspire whenever I begin thinking about it... I'm freaking addicted to this concept. And I know that it's kind of like morphing Race Room, Forza, Project CARS and GT6 together. But I keep hoping for about all of these, because PD has covered all of this before, save for the Livery Editor. They put a pretty decent Event Maker in GT2. It also had Race Mod for almost all of those 500-plus cars. Course Maker was a big part of GT5. It even had a taste of Race Mod and a livery painter, if a totally meager paint one area deal. But other games like Ferrari Challenge have a Livery Editor, rather like a stripped down Forza 2 one - even to the inclusion of a few T10 vinyl shapes which makes it seem like one or the other was involved in each other's games. But I digress.

Of all these things, the Event Maker, at least the offline version, has to be the easiest to accomplish because it's basically giving us the ability to play with PD's own event generator tool. Online community features like that Club and League Builder toolkit have to be a tougher nut to crack, but I'd think is still doable. If the team can't pull off the massive Course Maker they envisioned for GT6, just make it better and a little bigger so we can get to making and sharing our own tracks. And Race Mod is again a lot more work, but not a total headache, and much of the work has been done already with so many Base Model cars. And they can focus on a few dozen cars from several levels of performance and racing league potential, rather than having PD work on all 1000 some odd cars. I'm thinking the Livery Editor is likely somewhere in the middle, because it's basically a shape thrower and text placer, like a simple texture painter, not nearly as potent as the Photoshop etc tools the developers use. I'm betting that Photo Mode would be about as complex, and a good damage build or that 50 square mile Course Maker much tougher. But who knows.

So... yeah, kind of wishing on a star, but also, kind of not. Let's keep lobbying for as much as we can get. ;)

I think it'd be a good question to ask (Kazunori Yamauchi) whether Gran Turismo will ever feature a fully featured editor for livery decals. Amar is right in that folks should ask for exactly what they want.

However, even if Amar is correct in raising the point about communicating succinctly - I'm not expecting the GT crowd will ever receive the livery decal editor they want. I don't believe Polyphony Digital (as an entity) are ignorant to gamer's wishes. Should we not take something from the removal of all cigarette livery designs from the GT6 Senna content - even going so far as to Photoshop historical photos? There is an almost Nintendo-like consumer protection ethic at work here and perhaps that says something about Polyphony Digital's (if not Sony's) approach now and perhaps also for the foreseeable future. That doesn't mean all livery decals are a problem of course, but a full featured user customizable livery decal editor introduces a scenario where custom decal moderation becomes necessary and perhaps PD doesn't want to get bogged down in that.

I think, if I were to ask the question about a livery decal editor, I would pitch it thus. Are KY / PD overly concerned with having to personally moderate user-designed livery decals in Gran Turismo (as opposed to letting the community rank & flag offensive livery decals) to the point that only a series of predefined livery decals will ever be made available?

Thank-you.

Last edited:
I think it'd be a good question to ask (Kazunori Yamauchi) whether Gran Turismo will ever feature a fully featured editor for livery decals. Amar is right in that folks should ask for exactly what they want.

However, even if Amar is correct in raising the point about communicating succinctly - I'm not expecting the GT crowd will ever receive the livery decal editor they want. I don't believe Polyphony Digital (as an entity) are ignorant to gamer's wishes. Should we not take something from the removal of all cigarette livery designs from the GT6 Senna content - even going so far as to Photoshop historical photos? There is an almost Nintendo-like consumer protection ethic at work here and perhaps that says something about Polyphony Digital's (if not Sony's) approach now and perhaps also for the foreseeable future. That doesn't mean all livery decals are a problem of course, but a full featured user customizable livery decal editor introduces a scenario where custom decal moderation becomes necessary and perhaps PD doesn't want to get bogged down in that.

I think, if I were to ask the question about a livery decal editor, I would pitch it thus. Are KY / PD overly concerned with having to personally moderate user-designed livery decals in Gran Turismo (as opposed to letting the community rank & flag offensive livery decals) to the point that only a series of predefined livery decals will ever be made available?

Thank-you.

This debate has been done before, Moderation is an issue but not enough of an issue that merits the absence of arguably the most wanted feature the fans have been crying about, it's the same case as hearing someone online cursing, it happens and can be controlled to an extent by banning players.

Just imagine this. We get the Event Maker. We get the Course Maker. We get Race Mod and the Livery Editor. And now, if a FIA GT2 race isn't in our current Gran Turismo, we can make one. And as long as we want. Can you imagine a field of cars like this, full of Aston Martin, Jaguar, Ascrari, Corvette, Viper, Audi, Ford GT, Panoz, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, RUF or dare I say it, Porsche... whatever comparable car we can drag into it. With liveries either we designed or bought from PD or some car artist here on the boards. And one which is yours with a snazzy unique livery all its own.

Drool... went a little overboard, but what the heck. ;) And suppose we can make fantasy leagues, and can create logos for them. I whipped this up in an hour or so.

I moved some things around so it looked a little less cramped, and it's not the greatest looking thing but the thing is, the potential to make with this stuff what you want. Existing leagues, cars from history, your own designs, PD originals... can you not imagine the explosion of gamer involvement in this kind of thing? The re-racing of events from history, and user created leagues with seasons and championships, or offline, the same thing you create yourself?

Asia GT

Cars:
  • Cizeta V16T
  • Hyundai Genesis
  • Kia Optima
  • Nissan 300ZX
  • Nissan 350Z
  • Nissan 370Z
  • Nissan Skyline
  • Nissan GT-R
  • Oullim Spirra
  • Toyota Supra MkIV
  • etc
Tracks:
  • Tsukuba
  • Suzuka
  • Midfield Raceway
  • Fuji
  • Deep Forest
  • Apricot Hill
  • Bahrain International
  • Grand Valley
  • Zhuhai International, China
  • Red Rock Valley
  • etc
Season: 35 races

And so on. I... want... this. I know I'm kind of grab bagging everything and throwing it together, but this is a goal I strongly urge PD to aim for in GT7. If you don't, well, okay, but I think that this has to be hotter than pizza fresh from the oven.

I thought it was real! is this Forza on the 360 or One? Im changing titles/ consoles tomorrow ! :P

I thought it was real! is this Forza on the 360 or One? Im changing titles/ consoles tomorrow ! :P
It's Forza 4 on 360. This is why I'm jealous of it, because it's so easy to create race cars from ANY car in the game. And if you just can't come to terms with the Livery Editor, go on the Auction House, and you can buy liveries to liven up any car in the game, or many of them are free!

This really needs to happen on Gran Turismo by GT7, because without it, Club and League creation will be pretty limp with people only able to use existing cars from the game.

Yes, I agree. At the VERY least, two-tone painting, but with technology as it is, this REALLY is unbelievable that it hasn't been built in (yet... ;) :) )

But, here's another take....

This game has been built to be expanded. Hopefully, that is one of the expansions.

This is true. Kaz spoke about a GT6 that was almost modular in the way they built it, as if features were like applications added to a computing system.

I had been calling for something like this because GT5 - at least my install of it - was getting increasingly senile with each update, and many others' were too. So when he said GT6 would begin smaller and grow, I was okay with that. Of course it hasn't grown much yet, but I'm counting on E3 revealing some news, both for GT6 and GT7/Prologue.

This is true. Kaz spoke about a GT6 that was almost modular in the way they built it, as if features were like applications added to a computing system.

I had been calling for something like this because GT5 - at least my install of it - was getting increasingly senile with each update, and many others' were too. So when he said GT6 would begin smaller and grow, I was okay with that. Of course it hasn't grown much yet, but I'm counting on E3 revealing some news, both for GT6 and GT7/Prologue.
Nothing at E3, Jordan has said.

Hope you're not holding your breath:

Jordan says no GT news at E3

Woah... then, let's hope he's talkative for us and answers 20 questions. :P

Some of them can be mushed together, like I think there are two related car customization threads like this one. Community Features could encompass Leaderboards, the Course Maker, the off- and online Event Maker, Club and League Builder tools for the online update... lots of things could be associated. And if we're going to ask Kaz for the billionth time about upgraded sounds, we really should beg Jordan to see if he can finagle in as many of these really significant features, because the racing games that include these user creation tools remain vibrant and community involved for much longer. Even as sneered at as GT6 sometimes is, it would be much more interesting and gamers would be much more enthused to play it if we had these features in the game.

Because he is willing to take questions now, that could mean there close to having something ready.
Though E3 is off the table, with the highlight on the gaming world, they could still use the moment
to make a announcement of the pending spec 2.0 through there website.

Because he is willing to take questions now, that could mean there close to having something ready.
This is what I'm hoping too. They're definitely slaving away at something substantial for there to be almost nothing for months but some Vision GT cars and the Senna content. Now, what that something is, is as up in the air as you can get. If Kaz is very coy about certain subjects like community and online features, the Course Maker, Event Maker, Race Mod and Livery Painter, this would have me thinking pretty hard about something on PS4 coming soon. That would be one hell of an upgrade if Prologue really is GT6 ported over with more goodies like that.

But that wouldn't be conclusive, because it could just as easily be a huge Spec II update, with some things worked on for GT6 and 7 at the same time. And this isn't as crazy as it sounds. It was explained by a few multiplatform developers back in the midlife of the PS3 that it was much easier to port from PS3 than to it. Coding for PS3 first, or at the same time as normal architectures, you just strip away all the coding necessary to work around the Cell roadblocks. And so second and third gen multiplat games looked and played about the same on PS3. So that could mean that Course Maker II with Zahara on PS3 will be a smaller environment, but on PS4 be the huge monster we were hoping to see. Plus a few other goodies we're hoping for in GT6, like Race Mod, a rather basic but capable Livery Editor, Event Maker, hopefully better A.I., more events...

So... now who cares about E3? :lol: Yeah, not quite, I am a gamer after all. But now what I'm really hoping is that Kaz can be talked into giving answers to 20 of these questions, because there are a LOT of good ones in here that I hope he gives a reply to.

I know the Standard haters want them buried in a nuclear waste dump. But there are SO many cars in the Standard list that would be perfect to Race Mod into the specs of various leagues, and then slap a livery on them to finish the deal. Obviously more cars than in the Premium list.

I don't think PD would have to make these cars Premium in order to accomplish this. The real divider between Standards and Prems in my mind is a damage build. A serious damage implementation would involve internal car anatomy modeling, and that could be done on a Standard, but at that point I'd just as soon PD go all out, laser scan the cars and make them fully Premium.

But PD really needs to get this ball rolling. Give us Race Mod, Livery Editor, Course Maker, Event Maker, online Club and League Builder, and watch Gran Turismo absorb gamers like the Borg. In a good way. ;)

I hope we get 1000 Premium cars in GT7 too, Johnny, and 100 Premium race locations. But I also want what's feasible and gives us ALL the most options.

If Kaz think that Livery Editor is difficult to make, at least he can make decals or simple vinyl editor like NFS Carbon / Most Wanted.

iKyLVk1.jpg

KrIkLyW.jpg

I think it's not really difficult to make if it's only premade decals or vinyl.

OR

I'll give you an inspiration about how I do custom livery.

EDIT : You may ask, So how to get the picture ? Well, just copy PNG images from Flashdrive. User made PNG images with Photoshop or whatever then copy to flashdrive and then copy to PS3.

uQPr9to.jpg

1. First, I collect all Transparent Images (PNG) and make it layered like this. The girl PNG is layer 3. Background Flower and Red Splat was Layer 1 and Layer 2. And The Number is the top layer.
V9WegO3.jpg

2. Every projection set to Flat. User should be able to rotate or move XYZ the projector like the picture above or below.
Nu790tI.jpg

3. After User finished making their own liveries, now it's time to Bake Texture. But remember to keep the UV. If not, you'll need 6000x6000 JPG Textures. In this car, I forgot to make the UV, so I use automated UV.
0AQld6p.jpg

4. This Texture will be saved in PS3 Harddrive as JPG @ 2048x2048. Mine is 6000x6000 JPG with only 2MB. So I think 2048x2048 is enough (probably at 800kb per car).
3HdnEN7.jpg

5. So what if the player uses their own livery cars online ? Well... Users have to download and installing the texture. 2048x2048 JPG is already detailed, you don't need a 8192x8192 TIFF. Alternatively, if user failed download the texture, leave it blank (don't insist slow internet to download).
JHDTCB2.jpg

6. Look at this... Imagine this is GT6 Photo Mode in Academy City Photo Location, Corvette C5R with Saten Ruiko Livery.
6000x6000 JPG Automated UV only 2MB.

Back