Will GT Series ever get the option for a full Livery Creator?

• Thread starter Harsk100
  • 366 comments
You can also check some of the paint jobs done on google image, some people reacreated recent NASCAR liveries on V8 supercars and other cars, it looks incredible.

here are some cool replica paintjobs on Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon:
NfTwrTY.jpg

14768308087_d18fc85d21_o.jpg

0.jpg

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

24vwbus1.jpg

24stingray1.jpg

12081916464_52c4a2806e_c.jpg

forza-motorsport-3-holden-2-toll-holden-racing-team-commodore-ve-by-zaraki-43-11901.jpg
See, this is the kind of livery editor that everyone wants in GT including me.

If GT7 ever gets a livery editor, this is what is required:

A livery editor that is the equivalent to Forza 5's livery editor
Sponsor liveries
You can place liveries all over your car where logical
Standards can have custom liveries (assuming that all the 800 standards are nice looking like the RUFs in GT6)
All normal cars and base cars can have custom liveries

Last edited:
If GT7 ever gets a livery editor, this is what is required:

A livery editor that is the equivalent to Forza 5's livery editor
Sponsor liveries
You can place liveries all over your car where logical
Standards can have custom liveries (assuming that all the 800 standards are nice looking like the RUFs in GT6)
All normal cars and base cars can have custom liveries
Can you put a high res livery on a standard? While I'd like to see all that you desribed above, expecting liveries for all cars is a bit ambitious IMO. You're talking about creating hundreds of templates which would require quite a largechunk of resources to incorporate into the game. At best I can see this as a work in progress with maybe 100 cars+duplicates ready at launch, specifically cars that already have a base model and high profile manufacturers.
Yes, GT needs more racing customizations. adding rear wing doesn't make the car look like a race car, we need wider tires/wheels, body kits (various racing body kits as well as tuning body kits).
I'm guessing PD looked at the stats for GT5/6 and saw the popularity or lack thereof, of race mods vs. race cars and might move away from the former. Looks to me like a creating a race mod is basically like making a new car and there's much more bang for the buck IMO adding real cars vs. fantasy race cars.

Can you put a high res livery on a standard? While I'd like to see all that you desribed above, expecting liveries for all cars is a bit ambitious IMO. You're talking about creating hundreds of templates which would require quite a largechunk of resources to incorporate into the game. At best I can see this as a work in progress with maybe 100 cars+duplicates ready at launch, specifically cars that already have a base model and high profile manufacturers.
I'm guessing PD looked at the stats for GT5/6 and saw the popularity or lack thereof, of race mods vs. race cars and might move away from the former. Looks to me like a creating a race mod is basically like making a new car and there's much more bang for the buck IMO adding real cars vs. fantasy race cars.
Forza 4, Forza 5, Horizon 1 and 2 did it and they have 100s of cars. About the standards, all the standards will most likely be all 'cleaned up' for GT7 so it's possible that standards can have number plates and custom liveries.

Forza 4, Forza 5, Horizon 1 and 2 did it and they have 100s of cars. About the standards, all the standards will most likely be all 'cleaned up' for GT7 so it's possible that standards can have number plates and custom liveries.
Did the livery editor start with Forza 4? How many cars did it have at launch?

Why do you think PD will clean up 800 standards in a couple of years, when they had 3 years to clean them up for GT6 and got only a handful done? Kaz has also stated that they are focused on "new premiums" as well.

I'd love to see real race cars added in GT6 like the V8 supercars, DTM, Super GT 2014 spec cars, NASCAR 2014, Indycars, WTCC, more GT3 cars (ferrari 458, mp4 12c, the new Lambo GT3, etc...) but with the ability to have a livery on each one of them.

That being said, having customizable body kits, roll cages, rims, wider tires that would make any car look like a race car would still be awesome, especially for cars that doesn't have real life race spec versions.

At this point, I don't think GT will ever have a full-on livery editor. It's clear to me that Kaz just doesn't want one in his series. The reason why is a mystery to me.
I hope you're wrong.

A full livery editor is something the GT series need, it's very very popular on Forza, I remember when I was playing Forza, EVERYONE had liveries, they weren't all well done, but I never saw any childish liveries and even if I didn't it was not an issue since it wasn't my car that had it on.

It would be a mistake to not have one in at least future GT games starting with GT7 or the potential ones in between GT6 and GT7, if they don't add part of one in GT6.

At this point, I don't think GT will ever have a full-on livery editor. It's clear to me that Kaz just doesn't want one in his series. The reason why is a mystery to me.
he could even gain more money out of it for putting "special" templates as dlc or "historic" liveries on the psn.
i'd buy them all tbh. just to see a 500 with the gulf livery.

Thinking about it, I can't see any complications in having a livery editor for the standard cars. When you consider you can change the body colour on most of the cars in the game, it shows that the space/dimensions in which you can place stickers has already been set, excluding the windows and lights that is.

I do think, however that in order for PD to develop a successful livery editor, they need to ensure that all the cars are up for the task. The current low res standard cars just wont do. Place a sticker on the body panel of a standard car, and it would appear really low res or bumpy, for the surface would be unpolished.

I've mentioned this time and time again, PD don't need to convert all the standards to premium for GT7. That would be way too time consuming. They can, however upgrade the exteriors, so all the cars are semi-premium.

In GT7, I want to take a Subaru Impreza Rally Car from 1999, remove its livery, and create my own personalized one, with tributes to the late, great McRae and Burns, and references to my favourite Youtubers and general media.

I pray thy PD, that you give us this unique ability! For all cars! :bowdown:

I hope you're wrong.
I do too, but from what I've seen in the customization aspect of the series so far; I don't see a livery editor in the future.

he could even gain more money out of it for putting "special" templates as dlc or "historic" liveries on the psn.
That's true, he could, but I don't think he's willing to do that. I've been thinking for a while that he could at least let us select multiple liveries on race cars like how we can select colors, but that so far just seems like a dream.

Last edited:
I'll never pay for something that should be free, Forza have free liveries but you can buy the liveries with in game credits that's the only way I'd pay for something linked to liveries, I'll never put real money for something like that. If they do that, not that it'll be noticed but I would go and play some other games where it's free... like Forza.

I do too, but from what I've seen in the customization aspect of the series so far; I don't see a livery editor in the future.
They've made quite a few things that gives us hope, like adding numbers on every premium cars (including race cars), so I don't see why adding something like a few pre-made liveries on GT6 with the ability to paint that livery how you want would be such an issue. That's a step toward a full livery editor in the futur (hopefully GT7).

I hope they'll test stuff on GT6 so they can tweak it and make it perfect for GT7. Like giving us a really basic livery editor to test some features they're not sure about and improve it with time so that when GT7 comes out it'll be pretty much bug free and awesome.

I'm only hoping, but hope is a beautiful thing.

That's true, he could, but I don't think he's willing to do that. I've been thinking for a while that he could at least let us select multiple liveries on race cars like how we can select colors, but that so far just seems like a dream.
Now that would be great! having a choice, even if the selection is a bunch of fictive liveries I wouldn't care as long as I can paint them how I want. And they should add NASCAR base models with huge numbers on the side so we can use our own numbers.

I'll never pay for something that should be free, Forza have free liveries but you can buy the liveries with in game credits that's the only way I'd pay for something linked to liveries, I'll never put real money for something like that. If they do that, not that it'll be noticed but I would go and play some other games where it's free... like Forza.

They've made quite a few things that gives us hope, like adding numbers on every premium cars (including race cars), so I don't see why adding something like a few pre-made liveries on GT6 with the ability to paint that livery how you want would be such an issue. That's a step toward a full livery editor in the futur (hopefully GT7).

I hope they'll test stuff on GT6 so they can tweak it and make it perfect for GT7. Like giving us a really basic livery editor to test some features they're not sure about and improve it with time so that when GT7 comes out it'll be pretty much bug free and awesome.

I'm only hoping, but hope is a beautiful thing.

Now that would be great! having a choice, even if the selection is a bunch of fictive liveries I wouldn't care as long as I can paint them how I want. And they should add NASCAR base models with huge numbers on the side so we can use our own numbers.
wait, if they'd do that the number of cars will downgrade from 1200 to 1000.Unacceptable.
-implying putting a single car with multiple liveries selection
ps: /Sarcasm

wait, if they'd do that the number of cars will downgrade from 1200 to 1000.Unacceptable.
-implying putting a single car with multiple liveries selection
ps: /Sarcasm
GT needs 1000+ cars, losing 200 would be such a shame. Every single one of those 200 have their own liveries with no variations in terms of shapes, losing 200 of them would be UNACCEPTABLE like you said. :D

now seriously, losing 200+ cars to get various liveries would be a "loss" for a gain and I'd be happy to lose 200+ especially if they're Japanese cars to only get one of them with a whole selection of liveries for that one car. I think it could free some space too.

Well hopefully not all are like you then ;) Maybe they'll have to do a marketplace like in forza. So that the guys making liveries get something back for sharing.
This stuff might take a lot of ram to elaborate, tbh i'd expect this from a next-gen title rather a current gt that has difficulties even in rendering shadows on bathurst or gauges in an online lobby.
Let's just stick with stickers and some default -but sprayable- stripes, shall we?

I would be fine if the standards can't have custom liveries but please Polyphony, please let there be a livery editor and we could have custom liveries for the base cars :D
There are so many possibilities with the Base Cars and the livery editor 💡

I would be fine if the standards can't have custom liveries but please Polyphony, please let there be a livery editor and we could have custom liveries for the base cars :D
There are so many possibilities with the Cars and the livery editor 💡
Fixed. restricting such a function to only 8+ or fewer cars would be a mess.

Well hopefully not all are like you then ;) Maybe they'll have to do a marketplace like in forza. So that the guys making liveries get something back for sharing.
Yes, Forza's market place was awesome, some people were generous enough to share their liveries and logos for free, some other people made you pay (in game cradits) to get theirs, it was still worth it.

GT should definitely have something like that.

Not even PD uses full-body "templates", and that was true for the PS2 assets as well.

There will be no difference in a livery editor as applied to the Standards or the Premiums, even in their current guise, never mind how they may evolve for GT7. Just as there is no difference in the way the cars are textured on PS3 versus how they were on PS2.

All they need to do is define masking for windows etc., and that can be done by selecting "illegal" or "legal" materials (materials are assigned to polygons), whichever is easiest at the time. Regardless, that's far quicker than UV mapping a custom template, and the masking itself isn't strictly necessary in the first place (i.e. zero work per car).

Back