Will GT6 retain Top Gear test track?

Last I heard, the track isn't actually owned by Top Gear/BBC. Gran Turismo has lost the Top Gear license, right? Hence the stig outfit was named Alpinestars/Simpsons etc. So they could keep the track and simply call it Dunsfold Park, I'd assume.

Don't take my word for it though, I wouldn't be able to give a source. I'm just quoting heresay.

I believe you may have read it in the thread linked two posts above yours by Samus.

The BBC is not allowed to do exclusive licences so I have no idea how losing it could come about, but since everything in that linked thread is wrong and given the Kaz said every track in GT5 would be in GT6 I don't see how it could be missing.

They should add a wet and drag version though, because these were in the GT5 license tests and it puzzled me as to way they didn't let you use them normally.

Hence the stig outfit was named Alpinestars/Simpsons etc.

They named it that because that is the actual name of the suit itself. Alpinestars and Simpsons own the license to The Stigs outfit, it's their stuff after all.

My issue really has been the cones and HARSH penalties associated with them. The other issue is the truly horrid lighting. Don't bother trying to take any pictures there :(
I made a quite good Patrick McGoohan shot from The Prisoner intro in my Caterham there...

...I like it. It was my playground track.
Me too - a good track and fun to try bizzare cars out on. GT500s are great ther, as is F1.

In England the appropriate weather options are actually (equal chance) blistering sun, overcast, foggy, drizzly, pissing it down (yes, that's the technical term :sly:), flood warning, vertical river, light snow or blizzard. :lol:
...and all in the same hour :)

I Hope they dont retain it, how can a figure of 8 be a serious track? if you just want a TT track then we will be getting Goodwood

I Hope they dont retain it, how can a figure of 8 be a serious track? if you just want a TT track then we will be getting Goodwood
And ovals...? It's a part of motor enthusiast culture. I remember the excitement when TGTT was announced for GT5. Also it's not really a plain figure of eight, not as such - well, okay, an itallic eight maybe :)

Here's the reason *I* suspect it may be absent. It's not JUST that Forza got the deal after GT5 came out, it's that PLUS the fact that after that Forza deal was made, all the Top Gear content was pulled from the GTTV section.

I hope it's still in the game. It's one of my all time favorite tracks now. I really don't get people saying it's not a good track to race on because that's just non-sense imo. Obviously you couldn't have a real life professional race there because it's a figure 8, but online races are NOT real life professional races. They have 16 cars at MOST.....usually much less.....and it's typically only a few-6 laps, so if it's at least an even race, or at least close, the cross-overs don't tend to be an issue. And forget just video game racing......even in real life, on the Top Gear show itself, they have EPIC 2 and 3 cars races on that track. It's really an amazing track for tight hard racing, as long as the players actually KNOW the track and stick to it. There are some VERY technical corners on the track, often with JUST enough racing room, and it's all perfectly flat corners..........it's almost like a Martinsville road course in that way.......so it's all about handling and grip far less so than just having the most powerfull car. I really feel Top Gear is an amazing track to race on. Truly one of the best imo. You just gotta know the track, and accept the fact that you're racing on an imaginary track on an old airfield, and that you don't really need an official racing circuit to have an amazing race track.

And I personally don't have an issue getting penalties on any of the coned corners. 99% of the track is pretty lenient and easy to not get a penalty. The only spot I get penalties on Top Gear where I feel I shouldn't is The Follow-Through. Unfortunatley, that's a cross-over point, and I think the first loop's line is what's causing that issue. But if anyone is getting penalties anywhere else, it's because you simply don't know the tracks and are going WAY of line, or are cutting somewhere, and don't know it.

I fear it won't be in GT6, but if it is, I do hope the invisible barriers are removed like everyone else, that the visuals are cleaned up a bit which obviously won't be an issue based on what we've already seen of older tracks which all look much better, and that there are a couple more planes added and that we can get over to them to be able to take pictures with the planes in the shot.

I would also like RAIN at Top Gear. I mean come on, right?.........it's almost always either raining there, or drying out from the rain. I'd even like snow there.......since it does happen, and a couple stars have gone around in the snow/ice.

If GT6 retains the TGTT, I hope they've gotten rid of the damn rolling start.

I hope it is retained but a few changes need to be made or added.

Remove the cones or an option to switch them off (not really needed as the driving line will tell you where to go.

Standing starts instead of rolling ones.

Different weather options

Open out the dragstrip

It needs to be in GT6. And not only that, but they should add a version with the complete runway open without cones or barriers. Much like a Gymkhana track. And as a test track it needs a wet version too.

I hope it is retained but a few changes need to be made or added.

Remove the cones or an option to switch them off (not really needed as the driving line will tell you where to go.

Standing starts instead of rolling ones.

Different weather options

Open out the dragstrip

This pretty much 👍

Another wish (maybe save it for a PS4 version) but I want the actual replay camera angles from the show,and the ability to add Replay Filters.

Like others, I also hope the barriers in TGTT are removed. Just like the one from Willow Springs and instead reset you back on track if you go too far.

This pretty much 👍

Another wish (maybe save it for a PS4 version) but I want the actual replay camera angles from the show,and the ability to add Replay Filters.

It's such a joke that PD was the first to add the TGTT yet they don't include the Stig (was shown in trailer, but removed, probably after the Ben Collins fiasco), don't allow you to do power laps from a standing start, don't have any model of the SIARPC, and don't match any of Top Gear's replay camera angles -- yet Forza adds the Top Gear track and does all of the above.

An absolute fail by PD and there's nothing else to say. Pathetic failure to capitalize on common sense, sad as it is to say.

It's such a joke that PD was the first to add the TGTT yet they don't include the Stig (was shown in trailer, but removed, probably after the Ben Collins fiasco), don't allow you to do power laps from a standing start, don't have any model of the SIARPC, and don't match any of Top Gear's replay camera angles -- yet Forza adds the Top Gear track and does all of the above.

An absolute fail by PD and there's nothing else to say. Pathetic failure to capitalize on common sense, sad as it is to say.

If I had a penny for every time PD made a weird decision ,I'd make my own rival game.

Honestly I'm not sure why the barriers need to be there AT ALL for the grass in the middle. Open it up, can't be that hard since the track goes around it anyway.

I too would love to see the other parts added. I don't presume we'd get full fledged time change and weather though since there aren't any real world events there that use it as a track other than TG.

The points raised earlier about BBC and exclusive contracts sounds reasonable to me that this track should return as something other than TGTT. Even more reason to open it up :sly:

On top of that give us one of those hangars as a photomode location ;)

I'd like all of the cones to be gone, the top gear camera angles like on forza, access to the full runway and a change weather option to snow or rain? Perhaps even a in game top gear lap board for yourself to post on?

Seems like no Top Gear Test Track for gt6 after all... http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt6/tracks/ :(

Came here to post that, very dissapointing. It wasn't really a fun track to drive but I loved having it, and if it doesn't show up then that means no potential for a better TG tie-in. GT didn't really use that license very well in GT5, just the track and some Top Gear-y silly races.

No it won´t be on GT6.

Instead of asking questions like a kid at School I prefer to find the questions for myself...so the best place is www.gran-turismo.com and then GTPlanet.

Check it out here...they put everything that we all need to know:

Scroll down where it says "List of Tracks Carried Over from Gran Turismo 5"

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt6/tracks/

Sad but no Top Gear...to me it was good to test cars but for races that track was/is impossible to race if you think about it. You can´t race in a track where cars have to pass through a cross road. Imagine an "8" track without a bridge...pure carnage and not what GT really is.
But the reason could be the licence maybe because of Forza 5 or something.

Who knows...get over it we have really cool new ones in the game now.

But the reason could be the licence maybe because of Forza 5 or something.

No. The BBC isn't allowed to do exclusive licenses. The Top Gear track isn't in GT6 purely because PD didn't want to pay for it.

No. The BBC isn't allowed to do exclusive licenses. The Top Gear track isn't in GT6 purely because PD didn't want to pay for it.
That's not true and there is no proof of that except speculation.

BBC is not allowed to do exclusive licenses but the show producers can decide who they want to be their partnership and in what games they want to be featured, so there is no legal rule that can aprove that partnership to a single title if they want.

You're very protective of the Top Gear brand. What was it about Forza and Turn 10 that convinced you to launch not just a licensing deal but a "creative partnership"?

The creative partnership was the key. I think we didn't know it, but that's what we were looking for because if you look at all the amazing track games like Gran Turismo and stuff, you want to be - it's like you want your track to be on Gran Turismo, you want something that is close to you to be rendered by Gran Turismo and that's like a badge of honour.

I remember - I mean, I'm 49 and I am a dimwit technologically so essentially, you talk about terabytes or whatever and I'm nodding off - but [Turn 10] said early on that their audience is sort of similar to the audience that we've got. We've got this core of real petrolheads at the centre, and then we've got, luckily, this bonus audience of people who go "Oh well I don't like cars, but I like watching Top Gear" etcetera.

They've developed a game that did appeal to the same sort of people in that way - not as hardcore as other driving games, but still a community. If I've got this right, they have kids who've made their own little scenarios in games using developer tools and they thought: "Well, hang on, let's give them all the tools to play with." And then you've got the workings of a community.

And I know it's corporate stuff, but there's a relaxed element too. It just made sense to us because Top Gear's a big brand. It came about in a bit of a shabby manner, we just sort of bumbled along while we were building stuff. So that tone in that meeting, and in those early meetings, was definitely intriguing to me. It's not like they looked at what we were and said "we'll pitch to tickle your fancy, get your tastebuds going" - they genuinely were like that.

So then coming back to your point, when Turn 10 came along and said "we'll handle the Top Gear brand", they're already there with this notion of appealing to people who weren't totally hardcore. Once you've got that, you know you're going for the same audience.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/34866/features/top-gears-andy-wilman-talks-forza-motorsport-4/?page=1

Wait. You're telling me that the guy who said this:

...it's like you want your track to be on Gran Turismo, you want something that is close to you to be rendered by Gran Turismo and that's like a badge of honour.

This man doesn't want his track to be in Gran Turismo? Sure.

T10 would have somehow had to convince whoever is personally responsible for giving out the licenses to not approve GT. Then they would have had to have turned down GT in a way that wasn't obvious nepotism. ("Well, for T10 we'll charge them 10 and sixpence, but for PD it will be one meellion dollars.")

Of course, I suppose there's always the possibility that Top Gear was horrified at the way the license was treated in GT5 and just told PD to shove off. But that's hardly more positive.

Wait. You're telling me that the guy who said this:

This man doesn't want his track to be in Gran Turismo? Sure.

T10 would have somehow had to convince whoever is personally responsible for giving out the licenses to not approve GT. Then they would have had to have turned down GT in a way that wasn't obvious nepotism. ("Well, for T10 we'll charge them 10 and sixpence, but for PD it will be one meellion dollars.")

Of course, I suppose there's always the possibility that Top Gear was horrified at the way the license was treated in GT5 and just told PD to shove off. But that's hardly more positive.
Above you have your response, the producer have choose to go with Forza for the motives explained by him. Fact is that the this match with the reality. The license with GT5 was temporary and some announced features like the Stig were removed later once the deal was made public with Forza, maybe you don't know how the GT5 delays affected to that part of the game or that the two games were never promoted by Top Gear at the same time.

Licenses expire and others jump at it, there is no need to troll GT when the Producer have replied to the reasons because they liked more the T10 proposal, makes sense in their view. Those are the known facts of the situation, anything else is speculation.

I would also love to know the reason behind this,had high hopes that they will finally let us use it properly with standing starts ,camera angles etc boy was I wrong.

That's about Top Gear though. They don't own the track, Dunsfolde Aerodrome do. So even if T10 had an exclusive Top Gear license PD could still get the track they use. I would assume they didn't because the track without the branding attached is very dull.

Shame because from the Spec 2 trailer or the E3 2009? GT5 trailer, we saw Top Gear Test track in a sunsetish environment with the headlights of the car going off and for the E3 2009 trailer, in what looks like an airport runaway (assuming it is TGTT)... in sunset environment as well. We haven't seen either show up.

Latest Posts

Back