Will GT6 retain Top Gear test track?

That's about Top Gear though. They don't own the track, Dunsfolde Aerodrome do. So even if T10 had an exclusive Top Gear license PD could still get the track they use. I would assume they didn't because the track without the branding attached is very dull.
Even if they don't own the track physically probably they have the copyright of the layout used in the program. Same as the tv angles and travelings used to showcase the laps, completely different in GT5 and exact in FM4.

Would make no sense to add that airfield with a different track layout.

Licenses expire and others jump at it, there is no need to troll GT when the Producer have replied to the reasons because they liked more the T10 proposal, makes sense in their view. Those are the known facts of the situation, anything else is speculation.

Except that there's no exclusivity involved. No licenses expire for others to jump at in this situation.

It's great that TG think that T10 are good partners for them. But it's not an either/or situation. They don't have to choose T10 or PD, they can have their great partnership with T10 and still sell their name to every other man and his dog.

Without exclusivity agreements even being an option, I fail to see why they would turn down money from PD.

Except that there's no exclusivity involved. No licenses expire for others to jump at in this situation.

It's great that TG think that T10 are good partners for them. But it's not an either/or situation. They don't have to choose T10 or PD, they can have their great partnership with T10 and still sell their name to every other man and his dog.

Without exclusivity agreements even being an option, I fail to see why they would turn down money from PD.

Are you 100% positive that exclusivity agreements isn't even an option? In most cases, exclusivity can be discussed through major cash, especially with how Microsoft rolls.

honestly, exclusivity makes much more sense than PD not willing to pay, or Dunsfold not wanting GT to have the track.

No, Dunsfold own the track, it's layout and everything around it. BBC merely hire/lease it.

http://www.dunsfoldpark.com/track.html

I'm also not sure how you can copyright a camera angle.
Then you are probably right, or they want to avoid any unexpected copyright troubles after what happened with the Piazza del Campo track and prefer to remove any presence.

I mean not the copyright of a single camera angle but the whole video montage of that lap. For example I have never seen a Fifth Gear lap in that track recorded with the same Top Gear angles but I would expect copyright issues if they decide to do that. Anyway speculating here like Imari. :P

They don't have to choose T10 or PD,
They don't have but they can and that is what the producer have done if you read the interview.

Again the producers have the last word on that, they can make the license exclusive if they want, without breaking the BBC exclusivity rules, if the other partners don't fit their plans. What he said in the interview.

Top Gear track would only makes sense if the game really dig into the Top Gear series with some crazy challenge and/or cars created by the show. In Forza, Jeremy Clarkson describes some cars. And this is cool.

Top Gear track just for the sake of it, as far as I concern, won't be missed.

Maybe it'll return for DLC or something, maybe as part of a pack with other tracks? I hope it does return, so long as they extend the invisible barriers/get rid of them altogether, it'd be great.

Maybe it'll return for DLC or something, maybe as part of a pack with other tracks? I hope it does return, so long as they extend the invisible barriers/get rid of them altogether, it'd be great.

So intentionally remove a track and then add it as DLC? Yeah right

Again the producers have the last word on that, they can make the license exclusive if they want, without breaking the BBC exclusivity rules, if the other partners don't fit their plans. What he said in the interview.

Fair enough. So GT isn't good enough for Top Gear, and Top Gear would rather not work with them.

Nice work, PD.

PD failed so terribly hard at doing the Top Gear track any justice...

All they had was the track, that was it. Nothing else.

No ability to do power laps, no matched camera angles from the show, no Stig, no proper Top Gear challenges (the ones they had were pathetic pass every car challenges), no further collaboration whatsoever.

GT gets the track first and along comes Forza and does everything right and even adds things like Clarkson in the Autovista and the entire studio modelled... You'd think it would be common sense to at least input some of the things above, like at least the ability to do a power lap, but this is PD we're talking about here. As it stands now, T10 has a fantastic collaboration with Top Gear in so many ways and now it looks like PD won't even be retaining the track. Just sad, pathetic, and embarrassing for Gran Turismo fans.

Could've been great for GT but they had no idea what they were doing and Forza laughed all the way to the bank.

Fair enough. So GT isn't good enough for Top Gear, and Top Gear would rather not work with them.

Nice work, PD.

LMAO. GT is the most popular sim and racing franchise in the world along with NFS.

The obvious reason is money or exclusive right sold to someone else. Just like how Porsche is not in GT.

LMAO. GT is the most popular sim and racing franchise in the world along with NFS.

The obvious reason is money or exclusive right sold to someone else. Just like how Porsche is not in GT.
Considering how poorly TTGT was implemented in GT5, would you be surprised if they were turned down for that reason alone? It was an embarassment. While Turn10 did everything right and brilliantly captured what the show is about.

With that said. I don't renounce the possibility of a "cash is king" scenario.

You forgot the third option; the TGTT was implemented so half-heartedly in GT5 (just like WRC, and Nascar) that perhaps the BBC didn't want to give PD a second chance. Or the forth option; PD saw how a rival has implemented the track and show far better, and decided themselves to explore other, unique features as opposed to "me-too"-ing and playing catch up.

There are multiple possible reasons.

Considering how poorly TTGT was implemented in GT5, would you be surprised if they were turned down for that reason alone? It was an embarassment. While Turn10 did everything right and brilliantly captured what the show is about.

With that said. I don't renounce the possibility of a "cash is king" scenario.

You forgot the third option; the TGTT was implemented so half-heartedly in GT5 (just like WRC, and Nascar) that perhaps the BBC didn't want to give PD a second chance. Or the forth option; PD saw how a rival has implemented the track and show far better, and decided themselves to explore other, unique features as opposed to "me-too"-ing and playing catch up.

There are multiple possible reasons.

Money talks. It is too obvious. GT does not need Top Gear track to sell their game for other racing game the exclusive deal matters. Also BBC refusing them to have the track on their game is absolutely ridiculous. Did the Forza dev said something like this ? :yuck: 👎

Some say that GT wasted their chance having the test track in future Gran Turismo games and that the tires aren't quite in the right spot on the track, all we know is it will always be in gt5.

Nice work, PD.
Well if you want to think that... even if you insist in ignore the producer words he has stated the main reason because he thinks Forza fits better, nothing related to not being good enought but related to the different gameplay focus and one game matching better their average audience.

If you want to make a topic of that would be more correct to think that GT is too hardcore/serious for them and that they were looking for something more casual.

You're very protective of the Top Gear brand. What was it about Forza and Turn 10 that convinced you to launch not just a licensing deal but a "creative partnership"?

...that's what we were looking for because if you look at all the amazing track games like Gran Turismo and stuff, you want to be - it's like you want your track to be on Gran Turismo, you want something that is close to you to be rendered by Gran Turismo and that's like a badge of honour ...but [Turn 10] said early on that their audience is sort of similar to the audience that we've got. We've got this core of real petrolheads at the centre, and then we've got, luckily, this bonus audience of people who go "Oh well I don't like cars, but I like watching Top Gear" etcetera.

So then coming back to your point, when Turn 10 came along and said "we'll handle the Top Gear brand", they're already there with this notion of appealing to people who weren't totally hardcore. Once you've got that, you know you're going for the same audience.

From there you can speculate if was an excuse because MS money hats or if they wanted a major implication of the show in the game and those were not the plans of PD but T10 and the license renewal was rejected.

Who knows even the track could appear in a future DLC, all is possible in this speculation world. :D

I agree PD could have done a lot more with the TGTT and my guess is maybe they got caught a little off guard when T10 did exactly that. So, they could either do exactly the same as their competitor and include things relevant to the show, or quietly concede that they messed up. So what other options are there to do? Keep paying for a license to have just the track and not implement extra features, copy Forza, or find something completely new an innovative to do with it with the scraps left that haven't been done? Or drop it since it appears a majority of the opinion at least on this site is that the track isn't very useful.

Personally, I like the show and enjoyed that the track was in the game. I even enjoyed beating that super difficult Lotus challenge there. But I really didn't use it so I'm not at that much of a loss here. I do sympathize with those who did use and enjoy the track often though, because it does seem like a step backwards to remove content that was specifically modeled for this generation. :indiff:

Who knows even the track could appear in a future DLC, all is possible in this speculation world. :D

The only way I can see that possibly happening is they are currently sorting license issues and can't release it at launch, and will offer it as free DLC down the line. I can't imagine they would charge money for it as DLC when it was in the vanilla release of GT5.

I ca n't imagine they would charge money for it as DLC when it was in the vanilla release of GT5.

I seem it done before...remove something that was in the pervious game and charge money for it in the next game.

sadly I love this track,and I would pay for it to race it in GT6 and start a whole new power board...

MAYBE in like a "throw back" pack, but when it was the last release I just don't see how anyone with any sense would try and get people to pay for it (especially on the same console, so it's not like they did extra work to get it in the game). What game did this?

Well if you want to think that... even if you insist in ignore the producer words he has stated the main reason because he thinks Forza fits better, nothing related to not being good enought but related to the different gameplay focus and one game matching better their average audience.

If you want to make a topic of that would be more correct to think that GT is too hardcore/serious for them and that they were looking for something more casual.

From there you can speculate if was an excuse because MS money hats or if they wanted a major implication of the show in the game and those were not the plans of PD but T10 and the license renewal was rejected.

Hmmmm after reading that quote it reminds me that way back when in the days of GT1 and 2, the GT series appealed to not just to hardcore car people but casual folks as well. What happened?

I couldn't care much for the TGTT-If anything it's overrated as a 'playground' or 'gymkhana' track.
But be aware that PD haven't released an official GT6 track list (which last time they did so a week or two before GT5's release), so until they do anything could happen...

It's true most of online players on GT5 are mainly serious racers, guesstimate 65%, but a lot of them do other things too. Like drag racing, drifting, cruising around, dirty racing, cops n speeders, cars shows and trading. Then you have the non-serious crowd that does everything I mentioned above except racing seriously. I think they went to the other side of the fence because they saw that thier product could be produced how they (TopGear) want it .. I'm sure the show got paid major, and you think the 3 muskteers didn't get paid very handsomely too ? .. So why not go where the grass is greener ? Only its not grass, its astro-turf.

Just bring it back under the official track name and it should be like the map:

Top-Gear-Test-Track.jpg

:( :( Oh ppllleeaassee bring it back :( :(

Last edited:
It's true most of online players on GT5 are mainly serious racers, guesstimate 65%, but a lot of them do other things too. Like drag racing, drifting, cruising around, dirty racing, cops n speeders, cars shows and trading. Then you have the non-serious crowd that does everything I mentioned above except racing seriously. I think they went to the other side of the fence because they saw that thier product could be produced how they (TopGear) want it .. I'm sure the show got paid major, and you think the 3 muskteers didn't get paid very handsomely too ? .. So why not go where the grass is greener ? Only its not grass, its astro-turf.

Just bring it back under the official track name and it should be like the map shown by SHIRAKAWA Akira (nice one)

:( :( Oh ppllleeaassee bring it back :( :(
No way. I wish! :grumpy:

The majority.

I personally don't mind that TGTT isn't coming back, but I really do feel a sense of disappointment considering that at Willow Springs, most of the space is drive-able. It's no good having those invisible barriers. This will seem idiotic, but it's what I feel and why I haven't raced or hotlapped TGTT as much as I would have liked. I couldn't care less about the reasonably priced cars being in there. I don't care about having bragging rights, and on a site like this, I most likely will be in the minority.

Last edited:
No it won´t be on GT6.

Instead of asking questions like a kid at School I prefer to find the questions for myself...so the best place is www.gran-turismo.com and then GTPlanet.

Check it out here...they put everything that we all need to know:

Scroll down where it says "List of Tracks Carried Over from Gran Turismo 5"

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt6/tracks/

Sad but no Top Gear...to me it was good to test cars but for races that track was/is impossible to race if you think about it. You can´t race in a track where cars have to pass through a cross road. Imagine an "8" track without a bridge...pure carnage and not what GT really is.
But the reason could be the licence maybe because of Forza 5 or something.

Who knows...get over it we have really cool new ones in the game now.

If you had paid attention to the OP this thread was started almost a month before your comment and the track list had not yet been published to me knowledge.

Also, as others have mentioned, the carry over list has been published but not the GT6 new track list and certainly not any future DLC list. If the track were to return as Dunsford Park it certainly would not appear in the carryover list because it's a new name and technically not a "direct" carryover then.

Maybe it's simply because I've gotten bored but lately I've been having a lot of fun trying to do "power laps" against the real world times I've found online. ANY track in the game where I can do real world vs GT is great fun for me. The more the better.

Yes we'll have a bunch of new cool tracks but license issues aside I see no reason to keep it out for the people who do actually like it.

Back