will they ever make an online GT?

• Thread starter Freb
  • 28 comments
I think it would be 100x better if you were able to compete online. After beating the game 3 times now with 100% twice, its just not so fun alone, and my friends aren't any good, I beat them in my NSX vs a F1 car. :lol:

Online would be nice, but just like any games online it will lag, or at least i will. My pc is so fast 400MpZ :sly:

Im actually serious about hte speed!

Originally posted by rollazn
Online would be nice, but just like any games online it will lag, or at least i will. My pc is so fast 400MpZ :sly:

Im actually serious about hte speed!

your pc speed wont matter. the ps2 will be connected diectly to your broadband outlet.... What was that? you are on dial-up? well so am I and therefore you wont be able to go online and play games.

it has been set up so that you braodband connection will connect to your ps2 and therefore eliminate any machine based lag problems. any lag will come directly from your internet connection. a good connection will allow for less lag, a bad connection will (in the case of dail-up (if in deed dail-up can be used)) will give you a slideshow :)

i prolly wont race online because of my connection.

Originally posted by Freb
I think it would be 100x better if you were able to compete online. After beating the game 3 times now with 100% twice, its just not so fun alone, and my friends aren't any good, I beat them in my NSX vs a F1 car. :lol:

100x better?? I'm not sure.
If you ever have tried to race any game online, you will know that you often run into a player that races the wrong way around, just to ruin it for serious gamers :rolleyes: That does NOT make the game 100x better.

I'm pretty sure though, that we will have some great online races once in a while .. But if the AI for GT4 is improved, I think I'd rather race alone ...

You don't get that all the time, I play Live for speed alot (that has nothing to do with my username) and you only get the odd game here and there, the best races are wherer everyone is looking out for each other so theres no one slamming into you on the corners.

Well if everyone is a serious racer then you wont get idiots who want to mess up the game... and I belive its broadband only which is what I have :) so i'll def be going online with it.. im not gonna be like other people and say im all that, im an alright racer but Id deff put up a good fight..

I think for the online gameplay, there will be a lot of lagging and waiting around as u get games going or stuff like that

plus, there will always be uneven battles because there is no way u have the power to control or regulate what people choose as their car and whatnot

like for underground....it takes a while to get a 4 player drag race, just for the drag race to last under 30 seconds. and everyone uses fully powered cars, so if you are just beginning (like me) you stand no chance

basically wtih online play, it's all about who has the fastest car rather than skill

Originally posted by codered_59
I think for the online gameplay, there will be a lot of lagging and waiting around as u get games going or stuff like that

plus, there will always be uneven battles because there is no way u have the power to control or regulate what people choose as their car and whatnot

like for underground....it takes a while to get a 4 player drag race, just for the drag race to last under 30 seconds. and everyone uses fully powered cars, so if you are just beginning (like me) you stand no chance

basically wtih online play, it's all about who has the fastest car rather than skill

That's why we have the forums here to actually talk to people and arrange a meeting to race using cars of similar power. Then it is skill vs skill.

Maybe there should be restrictions like a HP limit, type of car, or game progress regulation that will keep out the noobs.

I would hate to see someone online "drift" through a corner to only end up into the wall and create a hazard.

yes, I agree with the HP limit and car restrictions! they should have those implemented into the GT4 game in order to make GT4 more challenging....

I hate the idea of GT online!
what's the point? The way I see it GT can't be played as a multiplayer online game because then you need to use the exact same settings and the exact same cars. GT is a singel player game and that's it. one off the bad things about GT is the slipstreaming effect that enables you to push the mini up to speeds of 200 km/h this feature makes the game realy sucky if they were to release a onlie version.

Racing has never been one mans sport, its just the games life depended on you being the lone driver winning stuff, here it gives you the real racing where you race humans and get ranking systems ect

For me its great to race online. I love that idea.
I dont see the need to have the same settings, as long they are not too far apart from eachother.

You dont see races today in real life with only the same car do you? Im sure they can make so that the host can put limits and that addition is very easy anyway to implement.

I find it to be a great idea as then you can race your friends 24/7, even for a race or two...otherwise they all had to come over and now you can also race 5 other oponents.

Hopefully they will have official and non official games, so there might be a ranking system which would be fun.

The ability to dll ghosts of the best time would be great.

Hopefully they will learn from xbox live which is great for most of the time

And btw I have a 10 mbits connection fully duplex so thats why Im so pro this : )

I personally prefer to race 5 human oponents (especially friends I know) then 5 AI oponents.

EDIT
ANd has a host you could also be able to decide the min ping the person can have to join your game (higher ping bigger lag) so that get rids of lag, and those with bad connections wont really be able to play but lets see how PD implements the online features. If its well done then it can become really good.

I think it will be better than Live for speed, thats good but the tracks arn't grweat are they, also the cars arn't real and theres not may of them. Handling wise both are great, I can't fault live for speed's handling but I can't fault GT4's either.

Originally posted by ving
your pc speed wont matter. the ps2 will be connected diectly to your broadband outlet.... What was that? you are on dial-up? well so am I and therefore you wont be able to go online and play games.

it has been set up so that you braodband connection will connect to your ps2 and therefore eliminate any machine based lag problems. any lag will come directly from your internet connection. a good connection will allow for less lag, a bad connection will (in the case of dail-up (if in deed dail-up can be used)) will give you a slideshow :)

i prolly wont race online because of my connection.

i think i read somewhere that it will be broadband only.. no dial up :D

Yes online will sometimes suck in the chance you will race someone that doesn't take the game seriously. But online with someone that takes it seriously will be great.

The whole reason it's cool is to have a set-up match when you know everyone will be trying to do their best.

I don't find satisfaction in beating a computer, I need a human challenge.

Nothing from camp PD has hinted at dial up working, sorry.

Nothing about only broad band. Its easy to fix lag by implementing the host (starter of the server) to limit the ping someone will be allowed to have. This means laggers will not be accepted to join those games that have small ping limit. Its not a big deal really and fixable with minimal work.

This is standard and cant see why lag is something to be discussable.

Yea, I believe it was stated that is was strictly broadband, due to the effect dial-up users would have on the rest of the racers - Lag :(. But I for one think its for the best, sorry for the dial-up users.

Any way, I'll just give me 2 cents about online racing for a console. Now, all my racing as of late online has been with Project Gotham Racing 2. Now with idiots and the such racing with me, it becomes a bumper car event. People ramming people into turns, and spinning them around. Ok, this is Nascar, and I sure don't think the next guy would like to be smashed into the corner because he/she is taking the turn like they are supposed to be.

However, when I get 6-8 decent racers, it becomes a race, and a good one. Noone is smashing each other, they are pretty of position changes, and all in all we have good clean fun.

For GT4 to do the same, it has to incorporate certains features.

1. When someone is either backing up or going the wrong way, they should become transparent or translucent, so noone will hit them, and the fools going the wrong way will have no affect.

2. They are will have to be restrictions put in place for the games hosted. Every host will eother have the option to have MR/FR/FR/4Wd or even buy classification: Exotic, sports, !!!

3. The number of laps has to be adjustable. No way will anyone want to do the default amount of tracks everytime.

4. The harddrive is a must. That way cars can be downloaded when released. Songs can be ripped into the harddrive for custom play lists. A must.... I need my music.

6. Online chat in realtime. I need to speak to my fellow racers. Trash talk, advise, are so much better and helpful.

5. The option to race for bragging rights and winner takes car.

GT4 has the chance to become one of the best CONSOLE online racing games. I like PGR2 and all, but its to arcadey, but thats what it is meant to be.

If GT4 can't incorporate this, hopefully GT5 (GT revolutions anyone?) will.

BTW: About not being able to play online with 56K, yes you can.

Anyways, I've played Nascar online and the lag's not been that bad, but every now and then it's awful, but most of the times it doesn't really make a difference in your race. Only bad thing about online is that some morons will obviously try and use anything to their advantage, and this is the case with the 2 online games I have(FIFA, and Nascar).

Anyone played NFS online with PS2?

Us at the MGTRA are highly anticipating the release of gt4 and its online capabilities. We have meetings (races) every saturday night. We have done this for two years now and have seen our fair share of races won and races lost but you can be assured that when you have people that are as serious about GT as we are the races will be very competitive. Like I said we have raced every saturday night for the last couple of years using the I-link and 6 cockpits 6 wheels 6 tv's and so on. We get a pretty large crowd and some serious grudge matches for money. Almost all of us has had or owned their own real race car at one time or another and some of us still do. We take Gt racing as serious as we do while driving the real thing. So what I am saying is that there are all kinds of people ready to bring some serious competition to the GT4 online play!

I'm sure PD have put a lot of thought into their MP utilisation, and restrictions and wrecker management will be included for sure.

Racing online is a far better experience than driving against the ai. People make rash descisions when pressured, and it can be great fun picking off rivals after laps of setting up a move.

GPL is still the king of online racing (for real racing), but i assure you, when GT4 comes out, the whole sim crowd (keen racers, not wreckers) will be onboard for real racing!!

Rest assured that gentlemen racers will flock to GT4.

Latest Posts

Back