Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
What about Linux Mint? I installed it on my laptop and it's not a bad distro. Could look a bit better though. Think the Zorin OS fits the bill.

I took a look at Zorin because of the tip of @Grayfox , and it seems there is an app called 'wine' which works to start up windows based programs and like that apparently most PC games work?

Wine can run some games, but not all. Usually the games that do work are quite old. Here's a link on apps that work: https://appdb.winehq.org/

You can also run a VM but sadly it cannot completely harness the power of your hardware since you're running an OS within an OS, so you lose some performance.

I took a look at Zorin because of the tip of @Grayfox , and it seems there is an app called 'wine' which works to start up windows based programs and like that apparently most PC games work?

Some games will complain as they are expecting to find DX files which are not going to be there.
Any OpenGL game should work fine.

Thanks for the advice on Linux I'm going to give Zorin a try looks good and great reviews I can't wait to drop windows after the W10 upgrade nothing but a pain

Wine, as I said elsewhere, is sort of hit or miss. Some things work well, some things work but have quirks, some things don't work well at all. Games are more likely to fall into the "don't work well" category.

Take a look at the excellent resource @Techy posted.

What about Linux Mint? I installed it on my laptop and it's not a bad distro. Could look a bit better though.

Think the Zorin OS fits the bill.

I mentioned Linux Mint just a few posts ago, and yes it's another excellent choice.

I installed Zorin in a virtual machine and spent some time playing with it. I found a number of warts and rough edges with it. Probably the most serious is the help system borders on pathetic; this is not what newcomers to linux need! By contrast Linux Lite's help is very good as is Linux Mint's.

You can also run a VM but sadly it cannot completely harness the power of your hardware since you're running an OS within an OS, so you lose some performance.
It's been my (somewhat limited) experience that it's pretty much a toss-up. Often an application that is quirky with wine works fine in a VM. But it depends on a lot of factors.

It might be a good idea if we moved the linux discussion into a separate thread. I wonder if @Dennisch would mind if we hijacked his thread?

My PC updated back on Sunday with some of the latest tweaks to Windows 10. I think some of the Start Menu changes are changes I am okay with. What I've noticed was my screen possibly glitching a bit more than usual as I am using Opera as my browser. One other thing I noted was the text aligned to the left for files as opposed to the usual center-aligned text. The little notification icon appears nicer looking. Only thing I had to do was maybe adjust a few settings, such as the one for when my monitor will go to sleep when I am inactive.

Better find some other stuff to do for when Windows does these updates, because they can sometimes last for up to an hour or two at times. I sometimes feel like I have to restart my computer because I don't know whether my PC is installing updates or just lagging.

Mine update during last weekend too I believe, and so far I don't like what it has done.

It takes up to 4-5 times of clicking "Ask me anything" or pressing the windows button far more times than it should before a response ever comes up..

Not sure what the issue is, but nothing other than that update was done and I'm not a fan.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 because I was told I could do a clean install with the accessibility upgrade (which is still free), but you can't. My 7 install was several years, drives and PCs old so I felt it was time for a fresh start but it didn't work.

A few days in and I have yet to find anything to hate, I dislike a few things but that's always the way. Forza 6 Apex is quite nice, too... But that's it so far, I've not done anything complex with it.

Probably many people deciding to roll back to 7 after trying the upgrade. Windows 10 is just terrible, looks ugly and works terribly IMO. 7 is going to end up like XP, living on forever despite MS's efforts to move people on.
I think it's pretty clear that that's what's going to happen. I can understand people migrating from 95/98 to XP wanting to stick with it; XP was much better and the incremental improvement to Win7 wasn't nearly as great. Plus of course the WinME and Vista disasters, which I think made people leery of any upgrade. I don't know what 10 has to offer that I really want, and there are several things in the OS that I want no parts of.

JvM
Looks are on par or better for me than 7. No real issues on the 'working' side yet either. I'm on a completely clean install. (several months old)

I tried it and dont like it.

More 2Dish in look, no aero UI which people loved

What did you do? Mine keeps trying to update every day.
Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it

In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
Restart
To re-enable Windows Updates simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to ‘Automatic’

Windows automatically updated my GPU drivers today, not very happy about that. Nothing went wrong, but the last time Windows did that, it downloaded outdated drivers and thought that I had six graphics cards. :lol:
Screenshot (2).png

This is probably the worst 'feature' in Windows 10.

Windows automatically updated my GPU drivers today, not very happy about that. Nothing went wrong, but the last time Windows did that, it downloaded outdated drivers and thought that I had six graphics cards. :lol:
View attachment 605794
This is probably the worst 'feature' in Windows 10.

Shhhhh
Dont tell anyone about AMDs new 6 way cross fire.
It is the only way they can keep up with nVidia.

Okay. A few minutes ago, Opera glitched on me to where the screen went blank and had to restart my computer. This is more an Opera problem than a Windows 10 problem. There were times in some update of Opera in which the graphics would kind of glitch but be nothing too major. Tonight was the first time I noted the glitching resulting in me having to restart my PC.

I usually alternate between Firefox and Opera. I don't use Internet Explorer much at all, and I have been ABSOLUTELY DONE with Chrome for quite some time. I only use Microsoft Edge mostly as a replacement for IE and to access certain features. So anyone wanting me to suggest trying other browsers, now you know.

Vivaldi? Never heard of that browser until tonight. Maybe I'll look at that browser. ...or maybe I try to find some kind of fix with Opera.

Vivaldi? Never heard of that browser until tonight. Maybe I'll look at that browser. ...or maybe I try to find some kind of fix with Opera.
Vivaldi is based off Chromium so if you had the same problems with Chrome, then Vivaldi might not make a difference. It's quite the customizable browser though.

Has anyone had trouble with the search bar recently, as in having to click or spam the windows key multiple times before it even appears/pops up?

Only Vivaldi I know is the Antonio Vivaldi who wrote the four seasons.
To which I have an album of

You know that feeling when you visit a new place or go back to something you haven't done in a while, but feel right at home? That's the feeling I got trying out the Vivaldi browser. It reminds me so much of the older versions of Opera considering this program was developed by former Opera folks. I haven't gotten too comfortable with it, but I am surely giving it a chance. Even once I noted my Opera browser was identified as Chrome through Blogger/Blogspot and a service called FEEDJIT. So the Opera of old is basically a fancy Chrome. So I want to thank our SecretAngelZero for introducing me to this Vivaldi browser.

By the way, I only know of a Vivaldi as Vivaldi Entertainment, which I think was the publisher for NASCAR Racing 2003 Season when I checked on Amazon once. Now I know Vivaldi for this new-age Opera browser.

Other feature that got me really interested was tab stacks. (TL;DR: Can organize your browsing by dragging related tabs on top of one another to minimize clutter)

Back