Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
So this whole auto update thing for 7 and 8. Some of you as paranoid as me and switching of updates all together?

That would be some rouge program and not rundll32.exe

No, When I installed with copy of win7 on my HTPC I slip streamed all the updates excluding the win10 ones and the othe
Recently my computer got Rundll.32 thing eating up majority of my RAM. Last is 1GB of process.

That would be some rouge program and not rundll32.exe

No, When I installed with copy of win7 on my HTPC I slip streamed all the updates excluding the win10 ones and the othe
Its written like that on Task Manager, identified as "Windows Host Process (rundll32.exe)".

Sometimes not, sometimes is. If it is, the computer will even sometimes failed to shutdown properly. Had to force off and back on to refresh the computer. Its random and annoying.

AVG and Malwarebytes found nothing suspicious.

Its written like that on Task Manager, identified as "Windows Host Process (rundll32.exe)".

Sometimes not, sometimes is. If it is, the computer will even sometimes failed to shutdown properly. Had to force off and back on to refresh the computer. Its random and annoying.

AVG and Malwarebytes found nothing suspicious.

Rundll32.exe is a windows program that is used when a code based .dll file needs to be run for what ever reason.
So a program that is running is making rundll32.exe use excessive amounts of RAM.

Whats not paranoid from you anyways?
Let's talk about that in the Islam or immigration thread where it belongs ok? If you can come up with a well formulated reply for once instead of a personal attack I'll be happy to respond 👍

Let's talk about that in the Islam or immigration thread where it belongs ok? If you can come up with a well formulated reply for once instead of a personal attack I'll be happy to respond 👍
Just rilled up a bit. Sorry about that.

As for W10 spying scare, even if you dont upgrade to it, theres a chance Microsoft will sneak their Spy software thing on older versions because you know, its still a Microsoft Product, can do what they wants.

As for W10 spying scare, even if you dont upgrade to it, theres a chance Microsoft will sneak their Spy software thing on older versions because you know, its still a Microsoft Product, can do what they wants.
They already have, on 7, 8 and 8.1. A google search will tell you which updates to remove.

But the spyware they put in previous versions isn't as pervasive as what's in 10.

Oh, and it's not a scare. It's a fact.

Making my second attempt at applying the Anniversary Update. The first try somehow broke my system real bad - performance went from great to terrible, I got some nasty stability issues and it eventually went into full lock down. Probably got the OS installation corrupted, as it told me there was no available boot device. Managed to roll back to the old version 1511 build I had. Smooth sailing from there - again.

Let's see how it does this time around.

Sucks that I need to mess with a perfectly fine system in order to play Forza Horizon 3 :indiff:

After the anniversary update, my desktop was having a massive memory leak, 7 out of the 15.9, with just Firefox open, and steam. Something wasn't right... My desktop wouldn't shut down, or restart, it would be stuck. I had to force it. I found the memory leak that it was Samsung Rapid Mode for the SSD, and the updates would install, and it finally decided to install, and fixed my restart problem.

*sigh*

AND MY LAPTOP CANT START UP.

Error missing avgmfx64.sys. Cant even boot on safe mode. Good news, no real data in it as all are on hard disk or USB and also not a gaming laptop. Bad news, it has to be resetted which means I had to reinstalled it again.

So I had an issue where I could not get video and decided to re-wipe my SSD and start fresh again.

I did that. Same issue. Now I can't access safe mode. It just restarts to a black screen where I see and can move my mouse pointer and that's it.

Windows 10 :lol:

So I had an issue where I could not get video and decided to re-wipe my SSD and start fresh again.

I did that. Same issue. Now I can't access safe mode. It just restarts to a black screen where I see and can move my mouse pointer and that's it.

Windows 10 :lol:

Oh Sheesh. Thats not good.

Looks like everything's working normally right now after putting win10 on my flash drive and doing another install. Here's to hoping things stay smooth :lol:

The anniversary update has doodled with my desktop and it took me 3-4 days to figure out my memory leak.

Meanwhile, I just received my new laptop with Windows 10 Home installed. Have had some issues regarding the drivers failing and recovering, and some of the time the Start button... wouldn't open. Had to right click to do what I wanted it to do.

I still have my Windows 7 computer on the side, but the new laptop is my work station for school. I prefer to keep the native, pre-installed software on the computer rather than go through headaches and loops to update an old computer.

I heard about this Win 10 but there're so many updates, almost daily. My friends even can't play some games yet. Keep wating.....maybe

I sometimes get the notification telling me I'm running out of disk space on the main drive and asking if I want to delete my old Windows version that it's backing up in case I want to revert. I haven't had any problems with W10 so I think the next time it comes out, I'm going to do it.

So when is m$oft going to get rid of that six gigs of crap they dumped in C:\$Windows.~BT against my wishes, for that WinX "upgrade" I never asked for?

I have to imagine if you were hurting for disk space that badly you would just delete it yourself since you know exactly where it is.

I remember when the popular line was that Windows 8's wild unpopularity was going to be the death toll for desktop computers (and before that it was how the iPad was going to do the same), so if they keep pushing back the date every few years I'm sure it will eventually be true.

I remember when the popular line was that Windows 8's wild unpopularity was going to be the death toll for desktop computers (and before that it was how the iPad was going to do the same), so if they keep pushing back the date every few years I'm sure it will eventually be true.
You got a point there for sure, but i think the whole mobile connectivity/android thing is indeed a bigger threat than Windows shooting themselves in the foot with their own OS :P

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but after all the problems I've had with W10 can anyone recommend the easiest way of getting into linux I really cant deal with W10 any more I should add I don't use my pc for gaming or anything heavy just surfing and music and vids

Last edited:
I have to imagine if you were hurting for disk space that badly you would just delete it yourself since you know exactly where it is.

It's more the principle of the thing, actually; I'm not hurting for the space. It would be interesting to delete it though just to see what happens; previously if you deleted it they'd just download it again (sometimes pushing you over your data cap again but what the hey, they don't care). I wonder if they still do that now that the deadline for the free "upgrade" has passed. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they do.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but after all the problems I've had with W10 can anyone recommend the easiest way of getting into linux I really cant deal with W10 any more I should add I don't use my pc for gaming or anything heavy just surfing and music and vids
Select a distribution you'd like to install, download its iso file, burn it to a CD or put it on a flash drive, boot it up and follow the prompts. Piece of cake, really; the trickiest part would be putting it on a flash drive. As for which distribution to use, I would suggest Linux Lite, Linux Mint or ubuntu. There are dozens if not hundreds of distros out there, although I'd suggest not going with something like Linux From Scratch for your first foray into linux.

You can boot the CD/flashdrive and test-run the system without touching your hard drive at all, if you'd just like to play around with it and get a feel for if it's something you'd like or not.

Try Zorin OS

It is basically Ubuntu but its GUI is windows like so using it wont be that hard to learn
http://zorinos.com/

Any chance of Linux becoming a proper gaming platform?
Major engines (e.g. Unreal, Cry) all support Linux natively, but there's no real backing into pushing the Linux platform. Even Valve with its SteamOS is not really marketing this hard.

As for Win10 on the decline? I don't think so, especially with all the stuff MS has planned, and not just on the gaming front either.

Try Zorin OS

It is basically Ubuntu but its GUI is windows like so using it wont be that hard to learn
http://zorinos.com/

I'm going to take a look at zorin; I downloaded a couple isos. They could be aimed at the same niche as Linux Lite which is intended to be as familiar as possible to Windows users.; their start menu is quite similar.

Any chance of Linux becoming a proper gaming platform?
I don't see that happening any time soon, I'm afraid. A big part of it is a chicken and egg thing; game developers don't write for linux because gamers don't use linux. And the gamers don't use linux because there are so few games for it.

That being said, note that gtplanet is at its core a gamers website and there are a fair number of linux users here. We are, however, in the minority.

I took a look at Zorin because of the tip of @Grayfox , and it seems there is an app called 'wine' which works to start up windows based programs and like that apparently most PC games work?

Back