Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
"Adult beverages" ...it's okay, you're not talking to a bunch of six-year-olds.

I have never understood why that was ever necessary. As if people are too stupid to know that alcohol is for adults.

"Food" has to be one of the few things I think everyone either tacitly enjoys to varying degrees, or just silently agrees-to-disagree.

I guess there's the folks who will travel 2-3 hours away to have a meal that's out of the ordinary, which I've done for the sake of taking a long day's drive.

Any word used to label someone who has a differing opinion to undermine said opinion.

How about arguing with what is being said instead who is saying it?

Any word used to label someone who has a differing opinion to undermine said opinion.

How about arguing with what is being said instead who is saying it?

e5c.jpg

I kind of hate the word "Woman" but not for any political or social reasons.

It sounds like the first cavemen layed eyes on the first female and said "who man?" and it stuck.

Not sure if I'm just weird or what.

It sounds like the first cavemen layed eyes on the first female and said "who man?" and it stuck.

Make it "Englishman" instead of "caveman and that might be a possibility, or maybe Norman,

Old English:

Wifmann = Female human
Weremann = Male human

Mann or man having a gender-neutral meaning of "human". It wasn't until the 11th century that mann/man began to mean exclusively male humans. That's why even today man and mankind is used as a metonym for all homo sapiens; man setting foot on the moon, for the goodness of all mankind etc. The sexism debate about MANkind and huMAN (an inflected Latin adjective, for what it's worth) is a completely modern invention with no linguistic merit.

At the same time in the 11th century, wifmann became wimmann and ultimately woman.

The wer/were part meaning male is why werewolves are called werewolves; a man-wolf. Of sorts.

Not a word, nor so much the sound but ‘text speak’ as a branch of language expression (it’s not even speech) in most circumstances irritates me.

The usage was created for the need to fit more into a text message in the days before smart mobile devices when one would be charged an extra message charge for exceeding the character limit and that was only in the latter days of “dumb” phones when several texts could be connected, when phones were actually phones.

There is no excuse, barring Tweeting or similar limited character platforms, for using text speak in present times and anyone who does so is a bellend if you ask me.

The sad thing is that many of the people using it weren’t even able to spell more than their name back in ‘99 due to being small children and most likely never had a character limit, let alone a Nokia of the 90’s (from which the trend grew) with which to carefully consider how to “word” an SMS in the most efficient manor.

U no wot I mean m8?

Que a response from the old timers exclaiming how they had to send hand written letters to communicate. (I still send hand written letters as a novelty btw*)

*yes, I know that’s pretty much text speak.

P.s. I don’t include acronyms or abbreviations as text speak, evidently.

I think it's partly the SMS length and message rates, but was more the amount of keypad pressing on the numeric touchpads, where yoiu would type the word "you" by keying three 9's in rapid succession, slight pause, three 6's in rapid succession, pause, then two 8's. Or just type 88 quickly for "U".

Not that that excuses it imo, In any case nowadays it's pure laziness.

I'm not saying it's the wrong word to use in the situation at all, but...

I really hate it when American commentators say "Trouble" every time something happens or someone makes a mistake in motor racing. I understand the use of the word, I just hate it.

What I also hate and don't think is correct is every time a large pileup happens on an oval, it's always called "The Big One". How many times does a massive crash happen in oval races? All the time. It's not The Big One, it's A Big One.

"Junk" and "Hack"

With how toxic the car community can already be, it's tiring when people's only response to something is to just say "junk." New Honda Accord announced? First comment: "Junk." Why is it junk? "Because it is."

Hack just feels overused with social media....and all those buzzfeed articles. Life "hacks" and people getting "hacked" by leaving their Facebook account logged in on a computer, so another person posts on their account as "hacked."

Everything that ends with “-gate”.

You wouldn't like navigating around Yorkshire or Lincolnshire then - we still use a derivative of Norse gata on the end of many older streets ;)

For words I hate... devilette is one I heard the other day. Grrrr.

Ecosafe.

Having lately had to read various DVSA (Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency) literature for employment reasons, there's this most government-buzzwordy of government buzzwords to describe how you should drive in a manner that saves fuel. By braking early and gently, and slowly accelerating, you'll have more time to deal with any hazards as well as reducing the impact on the environment. This I have no problem with - I drive like that most of the time anyway - but calling it "ecosafe" makes me want to put pedal to floor, just to stick two fingers up to whichever committee came up with such a detestable, antagonising, patronising word, especially when the words "you should drive in a" preceed it. You just know that anyone who describes their driving as "ecosafe" is one of those self-satisfied people with a smug look that makes you want to punch them.

Edit: From one of the DVSA's books - "If you follow the principles of ecosafe driving ... you'll set an example to other road users in helping to keep the environment 'green'." 🤬 off.

Extraordinary.

Mainly because when you take apart the word into extra and ordinary. Sounds like more ordinary but apparently it means the opposite.

Back