Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Hustle

The use of it in social media is tiring, especially when people use it to brag about their lifestyles. "Don't hate the hustle" or "It's my side hustle" usually describing how they make their money or whatever. I have other reasons why I dislike the word, but can't quite think of them.

To me, the term 'side hustle' implies that there is shady stuff going on to get it done. If it was above board and worthwhile, it would be your job.

To me, the term 'side hustle' implies that there is shady stuff going on to get it done. If it was above board and worthwhile, it would be your job.
I think that connotation is due to the origins of the term "hustle."

I take "side hustle" to mean something you do, possibly infrequently, to make supplemental income that doesn't come from conventional employment. My daughter has an actual job but her "side hustles" (she doesn't call them that, I should say) include house cleaning and yoga instruction.

Last edited:
"SAWZALL"
All SAWZALL's are reciprocating saws, but not ALL reciprocating saws are SAWZALL's...sorry, just not a fan of specific brand's morphing into the de-facto reference point for a bevy of functionally similar products.:cheers:

"SAWZALL"
All SAWZALL's are reciprocating saws, but not ALL reciprocating saws are SAWZALL's...sorry, just not a fan of specific brand's morphing into the de-facto reference point for a bevy of functionally similar products.:cheers:
You seem stressed. Maybe have a soak in a jacuzzi?

Sage advice...
Mike.gif

Though, a yesterday solution may be more appropriate...
breakfast_club.gif

Username definitely doesn't check out. Brands become genericised on a semi-regular basis. Taser, escalator, kerosene, bubble wrap... it's become a bit of a dumpster® fire.

Last edited:
Username definitely doesn't check out. Brands become genericised on a semi-regular basis. Taser, escalator, kerosene, bubble wrap... it's become a bit of a dumpster® fire.
LOL...must admit, while willfully playing along I'm still a bit vexed as to where the 'stressed' indicators are in my post. Was it my all-caps presentation of SAWZALL? If so, I thought that was how it was trademarked.😁

I strive to uphold the spirit of my username on the daily.:cheers:

I hate girly words like Flip Flop, Cute or Sparkly and all the words kids use to describe a pair of trainers such as vans, treads, converse etc wow it winds me up lol

Also any English words which Americans mispronounce as they haven't fully got the jist of the English language yet.
Few examples Math instead of Maths Aluminum instead of Aluminium,

And my own pet hate which I have had since I first heard the words decades ago is Vice-Versa stupid horrible sounding word which sounds like something you go to a GUM Clinic with! :lol::lol:

Isn't Flip Flop a general term to describe footwear?

Granted in Australia we don't use that word for that kind of footwear
Not really in the UK it describes though hideous flat shoes with a plastic strap between 2 toes, google uk flip flops.
And try not to laugh too much when you see some men wearing them! give me a break I wouldn't be seen dead in them. lol

Last edited:
Not really in the UK it describes though hideous flat shoes with a plastic strap between 2 toes, google uk flip flops.
And try not to laugh too much when you see some men wearing them! give me a break I wouldn't be seen dead in them. lol
That is a kind of footwear.

In Australia, it is actually quite common for them to be worn during Summer (though we call them Thongs here which I know everyone from everywhere else will find strange)

What's the matter with men wearing them? I get that they're not for you, for whatever reason, and that's fine, but why are you so concerned with what others choose to wear? It's...strange.

That was forced on my part. I was trying to justify "jacuzzi."
Well played!

I'm over here tryin' to draw out some hate on "vexed"...I'd put that one in the same category as "bespoke" that someone else mentioned earlier. Both classics that seem to have lost their place in modern vernacular.

What's the matter with men wearing them? I get that they're not for you, for whatever reason, and that's fine, but why are you so concerned with what others choose to wear? It's...strange.
They look rediculous but that is up to the wearer and the noise that horrendous noise that slap slap slap noise as they bounce of the soles of peoples feet is cringe worthy. My wife bought a pair a few years back and when she wasn't looking I chucked them in the bin lol. I said to her may be your better off buying real sandles for summer when we are in the garden and she did, no more slap slap noise and I can lie in the sun without every slap making me feel like I want to chop her feet off with an axe lol.
I hate the things if you hadn't noticed flip flops and in the UK years ago we had flip flops with wooden souls and you can imagine the noise they made scholls I think they were called arrrghhhhhh thank the lord we don't see them about anymore.

They look rediculous but that is up to the wearer and the noise that horrendous noise that slap slap slap noise as they bounce of the soles of peoples feet is cringe worthy. My wife bought a pair a few years back and when she wasn't looking I chucked them in the bin lol. I said to her may be your better off buying real sandles for summer when we are in the garden and she did, no more slap slap noise and I can lie in the sun without every slap making me feel like I want to chop her feet off with an axe lol.
I hate the things if you hadn't noticed flip flops and in the UK years ago we had flip flops with wooden souls and you can imagine the noise they made scholls I think they were called arrrghhhhhh thank the lord we don't see them about anymore.
What The Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

While not a fan of the classic flip-flop, my slides are the go-to all summer long:
1650572124392.png

After a week @ Disney, my feet never felt better. Arguably one of the most comfortable things I've ever strapped to my feet.

Question, what would you use instead to describe something before the end then?
are these supposed to be for rational reasons???

it sounds super pretentious

i hate the other word thats right before that last one tooo... panpenultimate ??? i hate ist so much i dont even remember it....

ill just sound like a country bumpkin and say "they're on the next to the last lap!"

are these supposed to be for rational reasons???

it sounds super pretentious

i hate the other word thats right before that last one tooo... panpenultimate ??? i hate ist so much i dont even remember it....

ill just sound like a country bumpkin and say "they're on the next to the last lap!"
I think penultimate sounds more snappier and fast than just saying "2nd to last"

I agree with panpenultimate, it loses the point of penultimate in the first place for me

Last edited:
I think penultimate sounds more snappier and fast than just saying "2nd to last"

I agree with panpenultimate, it loses the point of penultimate in the first place for me
its one of those words where i think "whats that mean, oh ya.. next to last, why the special name?" its the thought process it causes is the reason i dislike it.......

Last edited:
Question, what would you use instead to describe something before the end then?
Penlastimate?

Not to be confused with ¡Penlastima!, which is a Spanish expression I've used to exclaim that "...I've lost my pen!" or "...my pen walked off!"

Penlastimate?

Not to be confused with ¡Penlastima!, which is a Spanish expression I've used to exclaim that "...I've lost my pen!" or "...my pen walked off!"
Not gonna lie, I actually quite like Penlastima makes losing a Pen sound cool :lol:

Penlastimate (it actually got autocorrected to Penultimate :lol:) is interesting but it doesn't roll of the tongue as well if you ask me

While not a fan of the classic flip-flop, my slides are the go-to all summer long:
View attachment 1140817
After a week @ Disney, my feet never felt better. Arguably one of the most comfortable things I've ever strapped to my feet.
Another word our daughter came out with Sliders? I just looked at her like she was speaking Spanish, Sorry what? Sliders? go on enlighten me....... she found them and they were those sandal things in the picture and I just said why do you call them sliders? she said because they slide on your feet! Ok I said but don't every pair of shoes or socks just slide on your feet? Well yes but they are not sliders and these are???????????? anything which is floppy loose around the feet like those I wouldn't have near my feet, horrible things. each to their own.

Another word our daughter came out with Sliders? I just looked at her like she was speaking Spanish, Sorry what? Sliders? go on enlighten me....... she found them and they were those sandal things in the picture and I just said why do you call them sliders? she said because they slide on your feet! Ok I said but don't every pair of shoes or socks just slide on your feet? Well yes but they are not sliders and these are???????????? anything which is floppy loose around the feet like those I wouldn't have near my feet, horrible things. each to their own.
Try sliding your foot into a sock without any additional measures. One foot. One sock. Just slide it on in.

You can do that with those, though I tend to just call them "sandals."

Last edited:
Not sure about words I hate, but I think "logomachy" might be my new favourite word.

Slides are great, really comfortable and words to differentiate different types of sandals are absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Back