Words I Hate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,274 comments
  • 126,464 views
Blotch. Too many consonants.
 
:lol: Each word or the combination? :lol:

"Catalyst." Not so much the word itself but when someone uses it describe their own character. "Difference-Maker" makes me want to see if kittens bounce.

Each word.
 
Blotch. Too many consonants.
Does "Beeotch" offer up more favorable proportions? Not that it's any better--I just assume use the actual word when applicable.

@LeadFootLiam I asked in jest, but good to know. ;)
 
I was always under the impression this was how it worked:

Cosplay: Wearing a costume at a convention for video games/show/TV movie/anime
School play: Wearing a costume for a live performance (which sorta kinda could be said about broadway shows as well)
Halloween: Wearing a costume on a holiday every October.
Fancy dress, acting, fancy dress.
There is a difference. Cosplay usually refers to dressing up as an anime character.
Fancy dress.
Does "Beeotch" offer up more favorable proportions? Not that it's any better--I just assume use the actual word when applicable.
That was BLOTCH, not BIOTCH.
 
YOLO. The most useless word of all time.
 
Prerogative. I do not know why I always feel nauseous when I hear it or read it.
 
Prerogative. I do not know why I always feel nauseous when I hear it or read it.

I've never even heard of "prerogative." And I can't even figure out how to pronounce it. Is it "pri-roh-gative?" Because if it's "pre-roh-gative," then I've found a word in the English language that I can't actually say at a normal pace. I can understand your issue with the word. :p
 
I've never even heard of "prerogative." And I can't even figure out how to pronounce it. Is it "pri-roh-gative?" Because if it's "pre-roh-gative," then I've found a word in the English language that I can't actually say at a normal pace. I can understand your issue with the word. :p

Puking in 3...2... arrrgh well yeah it's not even that, I'm able to pronounce it just fine but for some reason it really makes me sick. Wicked is another one. Lewis Hamilton often uses this word so I come across it a lot when reading F1 stuff. Now excuse me I have to go barf somewhere. :sick:
 
"Hun" as in honey (a term of endearment)

"Hubby" referring to someone's husband.
 
I've never even heard of "prerogative." And I can't even figure out how to pronounce it. Is it "pri-roh-gative?" Because if it's "pre-roh-gative," then I've found a word in the English language that I can't actually say at a normal pace. I can understand your issue with the word. :p

Usually people slur it to "per-o-ga-tive", although your examples are more like the correct pronunciation and are admittedly slightly tongue twister-ish to say.
 
"Rakastan sua" it means 'Love you' in Finnish.
 
I second the resentment of the word 'flange'. Sounds silly and just evokes giggles from most people these days.

Two words I particularly dislike are 'simmer' and 'quench'. Don't know why, just hate using/saying/writing them and avoid doing so whenever possible. Oh, and 'haughty'. Bleh.

I also don't like 'despatch'. For the longest time, I kept thinking all these delivery and home improvement companies had spelt 'dispatch' wrong, but I only found out that both are actually right. Every fibre in my brain still tells me its wrong when I see it though.

Slight deviation here, but I frown upon words that can be pronounced two ways e.g. 'either'. Then again, thats more to do with dialect rather than the words themselves.
 
I hate these words/phrases so much it's hard to write them.
Fail
Gone viral
Good samaritan
 
I think technically "Gone Viral" is more of a phrase (A severly overused one at that) then it is a word. Same for Good Samaritan. I can understand why you hate them though.
 
Technology. Mentioned in ads advertising products which have no technology whatsoever.
 
No compulsion to round it off with an "s"?
I'm not sure what you mean, not native speaker. But yes "anyway" and "anyways", girls use this word at every sentence to get "style" :confused: :lol: .
 
"Anyways" is the non-standard form of "anyway" which is often associated with US English and informal online chit-chat. Never heard it spoken aloud where I live.
 
Technology. Mentioned in ads advertising products which have no technology whatsoever.

I know what you mean, but I think 'solution' when used with a similar intent is even worse.
 
I know what you mean, but I think 'solution' when used with a similar intent is even worse.

Especially when it's the solution to a problem which never existed.
 
parentheses. I just can't say it correctly and it bugs me
 
The paradoxical verisimilitude of juxtaposing a counter-cultural zeitgeist against neo-Imperialist zemblanity.
 
I don't really like the word "download" because some people never use it right these days.

At college, I get asked questions like "Can you download that from your flash drive to the computer?".

*facedesk*

Copying and pasting something from a flash drive to a computer is not downloading. :rolleyes: I could name more words that tend to bug me but that's all I am going to post for now.
 
Don't know if it's been said before, but a word that I've really began to hate is "innovation".
 
Back