Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Your disdain for Americanisms is well documented and there is a thread for that. This is for actual words we dislike, not dialectal differences. Spelling it our way, there's nothing wrong with the words armour and flavour, is there?

It's correctly spelt armor and flavor in America. No disputing that. For what it's worth, I hate Americanisms and much of American English myself, but one can't say it's wrong to them within their own variation/dialect.
Note who started such a thread

I despise "actual" when used like this: Just what in the actual 🤬 is going on?

When did these basic sayings/questions begin needing help to get their point across? I don't give an actual 🤬. Pfffft.

And SWAG only recently began to mean and be short for SWAGGER. But back when it was first coined, it meant something completely different. Back then it was "Scientific Wild-Assed Guess". If you didn't know how something worked or know the answer to a question, you "took a SWAG at it". I'm quite partial to the old school version so please change it back.

Almost all mine are slang, but here it goes anyway.

Aks - once a legitimate pronunciation and spelling of the word ask in an African American east coast dialect - now butchered over and over again by lower class people intentionally using it as slang.

Tweet (as in Twitter)
Hella (once thought long dead, is now making a disturbing comeback)
F'sho (as in for sure)
Tight (as in "that's tight brah")
Ignorant (because it's hardly ever used correctly anymore for some reason)
Ironic (see above)

2 words spring to mind almost immediately:
  1. Retard-The amount of times I heard this word being used at school, placed completely out of context and aimed at many (including myself), has made me loathe this word
  2. Smirk-It sounds evil and rotten, and I don't like it as when my parents would sometimes ask "what's with the smirk?" (especially when they were grumpy)
There may be a few more...

I don't hate any (actual) words, but can't stand when people intentionally misspell a name to further whatever point they are trying to make (i.e. Obuma, Flopza, Kryle Busch, Government Motors, etc...). It just seems stupid and childish and also makes it very hard to take the person doing it seriously.

I mainly hate the ones that make or break a sentence as well as summon the grammar nazi's.

Grammar Nazis like me. Although, I am more of an SPG Nazi; spelling, punctuation and grammar are all very different disciplines.

Languages!

Askes

I say bad words when I try to read this word in school. I HATE it.

Slob and slobber. Absolutely detest those words for all the negative connotations. I was reminded of this by meeting people today called Slobodan. I have nothing against Slavic languages or people, but hearing the name Slobodan makes me think of someone who dribbles and can't eat properly.

Three- I can't pronounce it

Ignorant- There is too many idiots ignorant of what it actually means

"Alrighty", "Okee-Dokee", "Gosh", "Buddy" especially if they're used satirically. Also notible mentions go out to: "Walk the talk" - what the 🤬 is this supposed to mean? I also despise "Albeit".

Last edited:
Yup, just can't do the th whatsoever.

Place the tip of your tongue between your front teeth, gently bite down and then exhale air through your mouth, making it flow around the tip of your tongue and through your teeth. The th sound is meant to be whisper-like and not overly audible. Follow with the remainder of the word in question.

Literally (nobody uses it properly nowadays.)
'Totes' (short for 'totally')
'Shot it' (It's used as a slang term for 'thank you' in my home country. Absolutely loathe it.)

Back