Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
In exceptional circumstances, it is correct. But as a general rule, people is the correct word.

It's an irregular plural which many foreign persons people struggle to learn.

Yup, just can't do the th whatsoever.
It is your accent I am guessing. Do you have a thick Irish accent?
Place the tip of your tongue between your front teeth, gently bite down and then exhale air through your mouth, making it flow around the tip of your tongue and through your teeth. The th sound is meant to be whisper-like and not overly audible. Follow with the remainder of the word in question.
If it is what I said above there isn't really much he can do.

I despise the word selfie, I just don't like it.

Its not Soda or Cola, its Pop. :sly::P

I don't like Persons either, I like People instead.

And I don't think that many people who don't live in the Buffalo-Rochester area know what "Beef on Weck"(Roast beef on a roll basically) is.

Bath and Grass. People always tell me to pronounce it better. For example people say Grass like Grarse and I say it Gra ass
Oh yes. Such common talk this grass. One must say it like Her Majesty, grarse.

You would hate me then. I say barth and grarse

What is it about that word that bothers you?

I just don't like cutesy sounding names given to things.

As for the antisocial thing I've never heard teens called that (hoodie) but there does seem to be a lot of them that like to hide under that hood...looks quite silly when indoors.

The words I don't like: Mathematics, algebra, calculus and other arithmetic-related words. Why? Math is a very hard subject that no one ever wants to solve an algebra equation! I also don't like the words "selfie" and "hashtag".

Last edited:
Hey, does anyone remember what those events and parties were called where you'd put on some kind of costume in order to attend and occasionally, while in costume, played the role of whatever it was you were dressed as?

Only when I was a kid it was called "fancy dress", not CHUFFIN' "COSPLAY".

I cannot fathom how much I hate the word "Chunder", sounds too much like "Chowder", so in my head it becomes a noun a verb and an adverb. People think saying this makes them posh *****, when in fact it just makes them *****.

Hey, does anyone remember what those events and parties were called where you'd put on some kind of costume in order to attend and occasionally, while in costume, played the role of whatever it was you were dressed as?

We called it "Halloween" or "a school play".

Chillin' (when used to describe sitting about somewhere) - Have you put yourself in a freezer? Or are you just trying to look good, because if you're using the word chillin,' then you're probably doing neither.

I was always under the impression this was how it worked:

Cosplay: Wearing a costume at a convention for video games/show/TV movie/anime
School play: Wearing a costume for a live performance (which sorta kinda could be said about broadway shows as well)
Halloween: Wearing a costume on a holiday every October.

Which & Witch

and

Brake & Break

RAGE.png

As someone whose second language is English, I find it extremely annoying pronouncing two different words the same way, not knowing whether they are supposed to sound like that.

Persons. I hate when it's used instead of "people".

I can't stand the phrase "on your person". It sounds like something a four-year-old or someone who just learned English two months ago might have said. And yet I see it or hear it constantly at airports, or any place dealing with security.

It's either on your body, in your hand, or in your belongings. Be specific when it is so important to rule something out.

"Chill", (if used as a replacement for "calm down") "chillax", and "chillaxing".

Those words always drive me nuts inside whenever I hear them.

There is a difference. Cosplay usually refers to dressing up as an anime character.
I cannot fathom how much I hate the word "Chunder", sounds too much like "Chowder", so in my head it becomes a noun a verb and an adverb. People think saying this makes them posh *****, when in fact it just makes them *****.
My friend got me into saying that. Before a year ago I had never heard the word.

I was trying to think of words that bothered me and the first that popped into my head was "cesspool"

It doesn't really bother me but it's not the most pleasant word.

Back