Would you like to have a course maker like GT5 or GT6?

• Thread starter GTP_Fangio
  • 20 comments

Would you like to have a course maker like GT5 or GT6?

• Total voters
No, because most people are not creative, myself included. It'll just get filled with entirely unoriginal recreations of circuits not in the game. And that's at a given moment, since more tracks will be added. So you could end up making a track of a course not in GT7, only for it to get officially added in a future patch, making all that effort a complete waste. I, for one, would be remaking various courses from Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, F-Zero, and F-Zero: Maximum Velocity in a potential course maker. But overall, I'd really rather see the time and funds spend on other stuff, like new modes, or the return of other stuff like the Goodwood Hillclimb.

I’d most like to see the random rally stage mode as in GT5. It’d be hard to develop a track maker that could produce circuits anywhere near the quality of rise in the game I think.

No. Any course maker is a huge gimmick and wasted development effort.

The entire point of a racing video game is to access a sport that none of us can actually afford to enjoy in real life. We want to drive real cars on real tracks all around the world. And we want to become skilled in those cars on those tracks, driving lap after lap to get faster and win by bigger margins. We want to enjoy the scenery and vibe of the track and bask in its heritage and experience all the legendary characteristics that make it special. History was written on real world tracks and I want to feel like I’m a part of that.

Some goofy ass generated course doesn’t have any of that. It’s completely useless. It’s just a good way for developers to be lazy and offer less real content. Course maker was a huge mistake for GT5, one of the weakest parts of the game.

Last edited:
I’m still waiting for the app where we can drive around real roads and map tracks. Just sayin’, I live a short drive from Long Beach.

I’m sure a track editor would produce a lot of pointless crap, but just like the livery editor, I’d only care about my own pointless crap.

I voted no but not because a track editor is something I have absolutely no interest in. Rather I would prefer they prioritize improving upon existing elements in the game or adding others I'd want to see more than an editor.

The entire point of a racing video game is to access a sport that none of us can actually afford to enjoy in real life. We want to drive real cars on real tracks all around the world. And we want to become skilled in those cars on those tracks, driving lap after lap to get faster and win by bigger margins. We want to enjoy the scenery and vibe of the track and bask in its heritage and experience all the legendary characteristics that make it special. History was written on real world tracks and I want to feel like I’m a part of that.

Some goofy ass generated course doesn’t have any of that. It’s completely useless. It’s just a good way for developers to be lazy and offer less real content. Course maker was a huge mistake for GT5, one of the weakest parts of the game.
Breaking News: Your way of enjoying the game is not the only way of enjoying the game. And double LOL to feeling like a part of the history of a real world course by driving it in a video game.

If user made tracks are as well ordered as current user created content, I'd prefer not. It would be infinite amount of hours to see which user track is good. Or it would have to rely on topics on an external forum like GTPlanet for members to pinpoint the good ones.

GT needs all the help it can get to boost its content. You only need to look around at all the wishlist and car/track xyz missing threads to see there's a huge craving for new stuff. Just like photomode and livery editor, a course creator is basically a free content generator for PD.

Yes, the course maker likely won't be as detailed as PD created tracks (unless PD decided to go all out and add a Modnation Racer level of customization), but it's still better than nothing. They just need to add more landscapes to the GT6 creator, allow us to control elevation/banking, add bridges and tunnels and a few more trackside props. Even a GT5 random course generator is great for mimicking rally stages or touges. You can use it for cruising, photomode, drift meets, cops & robbers, the creativity is endless. They can even add an extra slot for daily race/TT/weekly challenges to highlight a "Track of the Week". What a way to boost community engagement and also motivate people to create genuinely fun and challenging tracks. Who knows maybe they can even give a prize to the highest rated track creator by letting them meet a real world track designer and have input into the next F1 circuit? More of that virtual x reality crossover that Kaz loves so much.

Of course if you don't like fantasy tracks, you can keep driving real world tracks already in the game (and good luck waiting for a new one given PD's glacial development rate). Although looking at the game now half are already fantasy tracks anyway (and tracks like Trial Mountain and Deep Forest arguably have as much history among GT fans as real tracks like Nordschleife or Le Mans). Personally, with a few exceptions I find most real world tracks to be pretty drab and uninspiring to drive. Take Laguna Seca for example, without its history and 1 interesting corner, it's just a brown collection of hairpins and 90 degree turns.

This is a bit comparing apples to oranges, but just look at the kind of fictional tracks people make in AC.

With course creator we can recreate those, any track in the world past/present, even tracks from other games like Maple Valley from Forza or Strada Alpina from GRID. Hell back in GT6 I even recreated a 30 km mountain road half an hour from my home (divided into 4 sections due to in-game length limit). Yes the scenery and trackside objects probably won't match 100%, but just for driving and racing enjoyment and variety it will add 7576832783579x more replay value to GT7 than 3 cars per month and 2 tracks a year.

Last edited:
GT needs all the help it can get to boost its content.
I'd prefer they use the tiny resources they currently allocate to GT7 new content to correct the issues crippling the game since launch and some cars too (and not another Civic)

I'd prefer they use the tiny resources they currently allocate to GT7 new content to correct the issues crippling the game since launch and some cars too (and not another Civic)
1. PD's development rate is slow regardless. Course creator = extra content ON TOP of whatever PD makes.

2. Lots of issues with the game is to do with programming or design decisions. The 3D modelers making cars and tracks have nothing to do with bugs/poor economy/abysmal career mode/bad BOP/bad penalty system/etc.

1. PD's development rate is slow regardless. Course creator = extra content ON TOP of whatever PD makes.
Given their development rate there is no way they could launch a track creator (let alone a good one)
2. Lots of issues with the game is to do with programming or design decisions. The 3D modelers making cars and tracks have nothing to do with bugs/poor economy/abysmal career mode/bad BOP/bad penalty system/etc.
Yep, so with the few resources they have, I'd prefer they tackle the existing issues before "taking on new challenges" like a track creator.

Given their development rate there is no way they could launch a track creator (let alone a good one)

Yep, so with the few resources they have, I'd prefer they tackle the existing issues before "taking on new challenges" like a track creator.
They would have ample development time and resources if they chose to develop the GT5/6 creator further instead of messing around with useless stuff like Music Rally or GT Cafe.

The programming/UI team is basically not doing anything between major game releases like now. GT7's main features are done, the UI is not gonna change, and GT8 is still a few years away. They're basically just twiddling their thumbs in the office. They can dust off the course creator API and have it running in a month, I can guarantee (though it won't be bug free).

You just need to take a look at the GT6 course creator before it got shutdown to see how many features people manage to squeeze out of it, or the older GT forums to see how people have expanded those games with mods. It takes a lot of reverse engineering but people have done it. For a developer like PD with all their resources it's not as hard as you may think.

Unfortunately for us, Kaz chose to get chummy with fashion brands, make a movie and splurge millions on his esports circus instead.

*I'm not mentioning GT Sophy here because that's Sony AI and completely separate from PD.

Last edited:
They're basically just twiddling their thumbs in the office. They can dust off the course creator API and have it running in a month, I can guarantee (though it won't be bug free).
You seem to have so much inside knowledge of what's happening right now at PD. Instead of preaching here, why aren't you telling them directly ? While you are there, ask them to fix the existing issues too. Thanks !

With course creator we can recreate those, any track in the world past/present, even tracks from other games like Maple Valley from Forza or Strada Alpina from GRID. Hell back in GT6 I even recreated a 30 km mountain road half an hour from my home (divided into 4 sections due to in-game length limit). Yes the scenery and trackside objects probably won't match 100%, but just for driving and racing enjoyment and variety it will add 7576832783579x more replay value to GT7 than 3 cars per month and 2 tracks a year.
But what you're suggesting here is totally unlike a "generator". You're talking about mods. Mods which are still based on genuine locations. I agree that that type of track would be worth while, but a "generator" would not be, and a "generator" is not what the game needs to be successful. Some sort of mod kit where users can create good-faith recreations for the community would be incredible, and there are several examples of console developers implenting properly functional mod systems, but a "generator" does not fit that mold.

But what you're suggesting here is totally unlike a "generator". You're talking about mods. Mods which are still based on genuine locations. I agree that that type of track would be worth while, but a "generator" would not be, and a "generator" is not what the game needs to be successful. Some sort of mod kit where users can create good-faith recreations for the community would be incredible, and there are several examples of console developers implenting properly functional mod systems, but a "generator" does not fit that mold.
Of course, it's a tradeoff between ease of implementation vs fidelity.

Generator would be easier to make, but limited control means you can't recreate specific roads. Having said that, I still enjoy the randomly generated tracks GT5's course maker can produce. I just set it to the narrowest width and highest complexity, and it spits out a random mountain road perfect for cruising or drifting. I agree it does get repetitive after a while (DIRT 4's course generator also has this problem), but I would argue it still adds more value to the game than Music Rally.

A more complex course maker would take PD longer to develop and also harder for the average player to use, but in return you can recreate tracks with more detail and fidelity. We don't need something as complex as Modnations' editor. The GT6 editor with more backgrounds, more granular width/elevation/banking control, ability to create tunnels/bridges and more choices of trackside objects would be more than enough.

A hybrid of a generator and creator would be even better. V-Rally 2 on PS1 has one. You can input base parameters for the track and have it generate randomly OR manually build it piece by piece like a Scalextrix track. The trackside objects autopopulates based on the locale you selected.

PD can definitely create something similar, it's just a matter of whether Kaz wants to or not.

GT5 course maker was limited, GT6 TPE was something else that I would love to return but with more customisation, but perhaps I'm the only one...

Back